并用一把小刀刺伤了受害者
and did stab on the body with a knife
刀上含有一种物质
containing thereon a substance,
能对接受者造成严重伤害 即过敏反应
knowing that this would cause severe injury, anaphylaxis
并导致其死亡
and death to the recipient,
正是他谋杀了受害者
and he did murder him.
皇家检察署正式起诉威廉·伯顿
Call the Diet of Her Majesty's advocate against William Burton.
在苏格兰法庭上不用做开庭致辞 伯顿先生
We have no opening speeches in Scottish courts, Mr. Burton,
以防你有打算开始演说
just in case you were planning on making one at this stage.
是吗
Really?
伯顿先生 有人曾强烈劝说过你
Mr. Burton, you know you have been strongly advised
不要为自己辩护
against representing yourself.
我很清楚 法官阁下
It's been made very clear, My Lord.
很好
Very well.
我能把材料拿到律师席吗
Er, can I move my papers to the table?
不行
No.
我在被告席上不太方便辩护 可以理解吧
I can't very well run my case from the dock, can I?
伯顿先生 那正是你将要做的
That, Mr. Burton, is exactly what you are going to do.
你在搞什么
What are you doing?
-这种过敏症很常见吗 -不常见
- Is this a common allergy? - Not really.
患者只对一种腹足类动物过敏
It's an allergy to a particular gastropod.
即笠贝
Specifically, limpets.
他对笠贝严重过敏吗
He was deathly allergic to limpets?
具体说
Well more specifically,
是一种叫原肌球蛋白的活性蛋白质
an active protein known as tropomyosin.
那过敏原是从哪里来的
And where was this allergen?
福伊尔先生是怎么接触到的
How did Mr. Foyle come into contact with it?
伤口附近的局部肿胀说明
Localised swelling at the wound site suggest
应该是他死前被刺伤时
it may have been present on the weapon
由凶器进入他体内的
used to injure him before he died.
谢谢你 医生
Thank you, doctor.
伯顿先生
Mr Burton?
没有问题 谢谢法官阁下
No, thank you, My Lord.
伯顿先生 你想必清楚
Mr Burton, you are aware, of course,
一旦你为自己作证
that once you give evidence on your own behalf,
你需要接受检察官的交叉询问
you are opening yourself up to cross-examination by the Crown?
非常清楚 法官阁下
Very well aware, My Lord.
-现在呢 -可以拿出来了
- "What now?" - "OK, you can take it out.
看下针管 能看到红色长条吗
"Look at the barrel. Is there a red strip visible on the barrel?
有的话就说明药剂打进去了
"That will tell you that the drug went in."
稍等下
"Er, hang on. Hang on.
我看不清
"I can't see it!"
刻度上方有个小窗
"Just above the writing, there's a window."
没错 找到了 在这儿
"Oh, yes! Yes, yes, yes, it's there!"
病人有反应吗
"Is the patient responding?"
先生 先生 还在吗 有人在听吗
"Sir? Sir? Hello? Anybody hear me?"
这期间你似乎非常冷静
You appear to be very calm during this interaction.
-是不是 -我试图保持冷静
- Were you? - I was trying to be.
你在克尔德森林做什么 伯顿先生
What were you doing in Kielder Forest, Mr Burton?
我在卡莱尔面试工作
I had a job interview in Carlisle.
面试官建议我四处转转
The person I spoke to suggested I tour around a bit.
你参加面试时都带着刀吗
Do you normally conduct job interviews with a knife?
我娶了一把刀
I got married with a knife.
每个穿短裙的苏格兰人都娶了一把刀
Every Scotsman worth his kilt gets married with a knife.
你遇见福伊尔先生纯属巧合吗
You bumped into Mr Foyle by pure chance?
是的 我在一家酒吧看见他
Yes. I saw him in a pub
我迫切地感到应该和他谈谈
and I felt compelled to confront him.
你找到了他 想要他认罪
You sought him out to force a confession.
对不对
Isn't that correct?
是的
Yes.
-是吗 -是的 没错
- Yes? - Yes, that's right.
一罪不二审 哪怕是有新证据
Double jeopardy law, pertaining to new evidence.
我认为伯顿先生已经回答了你的问题
I believe Mr Burton has answered the question.
法官阁下
My Lord.
要他认罪
A confession -
这是你最大的愿望
something that you would've desired very much.
-是的 -当他拒绝了你的要求
- Yes. - And yet when he denied you this request,
你就杀了他
you took his life.
-没有 -你勃然大怒
- No. - You flew into a rage
用小刀袭击了他 对不对
and attacked him with a knife, didn't you?
-你说什么时候 -你用小刀砍伤了他
- When was this, sorry? - When you slashed him with the knife,
你在供词里说得很清楚
as you've said clearly in your statement!
是啊 在我把他背出火场之前
Oh, yes, before I carried him out of a burning building.
伯顿先生
Mr Burton!
我只是确认一下时间先后
Just being clear on chronology.
你是在耍小聪明
Flying close to the sun.
腹足类动物过敏
A gastropod allergy,
一种贝类
a specific kind of shellfish -
这不是轻易能得到的信息
not exactly easy information to find out.
我同意
No, I'd imagine not.
你看过委托人的医疗记录吗
Have you ever had cause to access a client's medical records?
看过 如果与案件有关的话
Yes, though only if pertinent to the case.
桑德拉·马林斯一案中
In the case of Sandra Mullins,
-你曾为福伊尔先生辩护 -是的
- you were lead counsel for Mr Foyle's defence. - I was.
你调查过福伊尔先生的医疗信息吗
Did you ever request any medical information regarding Mr Foyle?
-没有 -没有吗
- No. - You did not?
没有 我没接触过这类文件
No, I did not access his files.
我认为他的回答足够充分
I believe his "No" was sufficient.
法官阁下 你显然无法证明这点
My Lord. You cannot prove this, of course.
他是你的委托人
He was your client.
你对他的资料非常了解
You were intimately acquainted with his information.
不 机密医疗文件
No. Erm... Confidential medical files are
全部数字化 被安全保存在事务律师那里
all digitised and kept securely at the solicitors,
想必在他的医生和医院也同样安全
or, presumably, equally securely at his doctors or hospital.
啰嗦这么多 我其实是说没有
Which is a long-winded way of saying no,
我没看过他的医疗记录
I did not access his files,
而且 我可以证明
and, yes, I can prove it.
伯顿先生想要的
What Mr Burton is asking of you
非常简单 女士们先生们
is very simple, ladies and gentlemen.
他想让你们相信他编的故事
He wants you to believe his little story.
他想让你们相信
He wants you to believe
一切都是命运的作弄
that through an ironic twist of fate,
那把错误的小刀
this was the wrong knife,
在错误的人手里
in the wrong hand,
闯进了错误的时间
at the wrong time.
我敬告各位
I respectfully submit to you
他说的一切纯属虚构
that this is pure fabrication.
这种先见之明 有着恶毒的目的
This was foreknowledge, with malicious intent.
随他怎么说 但我要问
He will tell you otherwise, but I ask only this question -
他讲了个动听的故事
he tells a good story,
但我们真的相信他吗
but do we really believe him?
我是个律师
I'm a lawyer.
我一生信奉法律
I have lived and believed in the law all my life.
但当法律降临在你头上
But until the law happens to you,
相信我 你会无所适从
believe me, you don't know which way you're going to go.
我在小屋面对面见到的那个人
The man I faced in that cabin
就是谋杀我妻子的凶手 这毫无疑问
is the man I know, beyond all doubt, murdered my wife.
面对这个人 我本可以有很多选择
I could've done a lot of things to him.
但是
Instead,
我看到了他的痛苦 为他叫了救护车
I saw him suffer and I called an ambulance.
我挽救他于危险之中
I removed him from danger.
我做了所有正派人都会做的事情
I did what any decent human being should do.
但请不要误会 我做这些事情
But make no mistake, I did those things
仅仅是出于基本的良心和纯粹的道义
out of nothing more than a sincere duty to our common decency.
我这么做 因为这是世上每一个人
I did so because that's what's expected
所应当做的
when you're a person in the world.
我冒险救的这个人 他夺走了我的挚爱
I risked my life to save the man who took away my heart...
我人生的向导
..my compass,
我生活的重心
my anchor,
也是我最好的朋友
my best friend.
他在我面前倒下时 我手里正有一把刀
I faced him down with a knife in my hand,