剧集 | 波尔达克 | 导航列表
of the sentimental view of slavery
对奴隶制的同情
which is sometimes espoused in this House.
事实上 奴隶制对于我们的经济
The fact is, slavery is a necessity -
对于殖民地的维护 和对于让我们国家
for our economy, for the preservation of our colonies...
保持世界领先地位 都是必要的
..And for the supremacy of our nation in the world.
如果我说错了 这位尊贵的议员可以纠正我
The honourable member will correct me if I'm wrong,
但是他的意思似乎是说
but he appears to be saying
这些奴隶其实非常幸运
that slaves are actually quite fortunate,
因为他们有东西可以果腹
because they have food on the table,
有地方可以安身 还有了人生的目标
a roof over their heads and a purpose in life.
没错
That is correct.
但是他们会死
Except when they die.
他们的确会 而且有大量奴隶
Which they do, with alarming frequency,
在极其不人道的环境下死去 比如
in the most inhuman condition, as detailed, for example,
乔纳斯·佩蒂格鲁先生这份新报告就对此有所详述
in this recent report by a Mr Jonas Pettigrew,
他是洪都拉斯红木森林的助理监工
assistant overseer in the mahogany forests of Honduras,
他把那里称为"死亡之林"
which he refers to as a "grove of death".
他详细描述了奴隶的悲惨遭遇
He details the abject suffering of slaves,
死于疟疾
dying of malaria,
他们被故意剥夺了医疗救助
deliberately deprived of medical assistance
甚至得不到水
or even water
这样他们就能"快点死掉
so that they may "die sooner
不会再给奴隶主带来不便"
and no longer inconvenience their owner",
也就是拉尔夫·汉森先生
in this case a Mr Ralph Hanson.
我们该担心吗
Should this concern us?
难道这只是为获得崭新桌椅
Is this not a small price to pay
而要付出的小小代价吗
for our gleaming new tables and chairs?
还是我们应该支持其他价值观
Or should we instead endorse other values -
人道 同情心 对同胞的关心
humanity, compassion, care for our fellow men -
把这祸患扼杀在摇篮中
and nip...nip this canker in the bud
通过将那个
by returning to Honduras the man
无疑是被汉森诬告的人送回洪都拉斯
who was falsely accused - doubtless by Hanson himself,
就因为他试图消灭这种贪婪和暴行
because he tried to stamp out such greed and brutality
那就是爱德华·德斯帕德上校
Colonel Edward Despard?
事实证明 德斯帕德和他的支持者很耗钱
Despard and his supporters are proving costly.
先生 我知道您已经花费了一大笔资金
Sir, I realise you've already laid out considerable funds.
用来说服你的种植园主朋友们谴责他
To induce your fellow planters to denounce him,
将他召回伦敦
to have him recalled to London,
并说服我的治安法官同僚
to persuade my fellow magistrates
未经庭审就把他关进监狱
to incarcerate him without trial.
现在我们还要花更多钱来摆脱他吗
And now we must lay out more to be rid of him?
我知道这不理想 但我们得采取措施
Yes, I realise it's not ideal, but something needs to be done.
叫别人替自己办不光彩的事 问题就在于
The trouble with leaving someone to do one's dirty work -
经常得帮他们收拾残局
one often has to clean up after them.
你知道来看你让我很开心
You know that my visits to see you have given me great joy.
谢谢你保密
I thank you for keeping them secret.
我觉得你也很高兴见到我
I think you have enjoyed them too.
是的
Yes.
那么
So...
我即将告诉你的事 可能会让你难过
...What I have to tell you now might make you sad.
这让我非常难过
It makes me very sad.
夫人 夫人 请你听我说完
Your Ladyship! Your Ladyship, I beg of thee, hear me out.
让约翰·柯南离开你是我一个人的主意
'Twas mine idea alone that John Conan should leave thee,
我告诉莫文娜时 她很生气
and when I tell'd Morwenna she was furious.
现在她来作出弥补 结束这一切
She's come now to make amends, to put an end to it
彻底结束
once and for all.
求你别去打扰她
Nay, please, don't disturb her.
所以我来跟你道别
So I come now to take my leave,
我会珍惜我们共度的时光
and I'll cherish the time we had together.
但我得走了
But I have to go away now.
我会把你交给最亲切 最慈爱的祖母
And I am leaving you with the kindest, most loving grandmother...
她会疼爱你 给你最棒的生活
...Who will love you and give you the most wonderful life.
再见 我亲爱的孩子
Goodbye, my beloved boy.
我有消息要告诉你
I have news.
那些假♥币♥ 萨莉·奇洛昨晚在酒馆收到一张
They forgeries, Sally Chill-Off had one in the Kiddley last night.
她记得是谁拿来的吗
Does she recollect who tendered it?
她记得
She do.
就是那天晚上被看到和特伦康先生同行的人
The same person as was seen the other night with Mr Trencrom.
泰丝·特里吉登
Tess Tregidden.
我今天和我儿子告别了
I said farewell to my son today.
彻底再见了吗
For good?
是的
Yes.
我不会再回去
I will never go back.
我爱他
I love him.
我会永远爱他
I will always love him.
我之前想把失去他的痛苦锁起来
I've have tried to lock away the pain of losing him.
但这样做 我也锁起了其他的爱
But in doing so, I've locked away other love.
对我丈夫的爱
Love for my husband.
我想给我丈夫的爱
Love I would give my husband,
但由于我不愿为失去孩子伤心 我无法给他
but could not give whilst I would not grieve the loss of my child.
今天我为他流泪伤心了
Today I did grieve
也对他放手了
and let him go.
今晚我的心好痛
Tonight my heart is sore.
但它也自♥由♥了
But it is free...
可以爱你
..to love you.
汉森先生和默瑟隆先生
Mr Hanson and Mr Merceron.
你应该已从那不幸事件中振作起来了吧
I take it you've rallied after the, uh, unfortunate events.
"不幸"
"Unfortunate"?
我遭到了抨击
I've been denounced.
我的声誉 不论是在议院内
My reputation within the House...
还是在议院外
And out of it.
都完全被毁了
..has been utterly ruined.
因为罗斯 我被视为冷酷奴隶主的朋友
Thanks to Ross, I am viewed as a friend of heartless slave-owners,
为一个腐♥败♥残忍♥的体系辩解
apologist for a corrupt and brutal system.
他成了英雄 我成了恶人
He is the hero. I am the villain.
那怎么解决
So what's the solution?
把他变成恶人
Make him the villain.
怎么做呢
How, exactly?
你想要什么呢
Well, what exactly would you seek?
修复我的名誉
Reparation of my reputation.
复仇
Revenge.
为罗斯在议院对我的羞辱
On Ross, for that debacle in the House.
为德斯帕德在特伦威兹伤了我
On Despard, for my injury at Trenwith.
作为回报呢
And in return?
我会万分感激
I will be most generous in my gratitude,
并不再犹豫 正式敲定我们的生意
and see no further impediment to making our venture official.
复仇很简单
Revenge is easy,
要买♥♥到名誉则更贵些
reputation more dearly bought.
但我想有办法通过一个实现另一个
But I think there's a way to achieve one by way of the other
提醒世人 疯奈德
by reminding the world that Mad Ned
喜欢靠拳头解决问题
has a relish for settling matters with his fists.
你得制止造假♥币♥的事 姐姐
You need to put an end to this forging business, sister.
泰丝肯定会否认的 萨姆
Tess will surely deny it, Sam.
我还能怎么办
So what more can I do?
你很清楚你能做什么
You know fine well what you can do.
不
No.
是谁教训我领导力 权威的
Who was it lectured me about leadership? Authority?
或许你该听从自己的建议了
'Tis maybe time to take a leaf out your own book.
把那个给我
Hand me that one...
朋友们
Friends...
朋友们
Friends!
不好意思 请你们听我姐姐说两句
I regret that I must ask you to give ear to my sister.
我们更不乐意
Not as much as we regret it!
我不乐意的是 我有说这些话的必要
What I regret is the need to speak at all.
但我不能昧着良心
But I can't, in all conscience,
继续纵容造假♥币♥的事
allow this forgery business to go further.
你们都知道怎么分辨假♥币♥
You've all been told how to tell them apart.
只需要对着光一看 就能把假♥币♥看个明白
Hold them up to the light and the forgery is plain,
但让人不明白的
but what is not plain
是怎么会有人想要这么做
is why anyone'd wish to do this in the first place.
我想想
剧集 | 波尔达克 | 导航列表