Growing up, Eric had a lot of challenges.
我是一个非常有艺术细胞的孩子
I was a very artistic child.
我们很早就发现埃里克有抽动症
We realized early on that Eric had Tourette's syndrome.
同学们都非常粗鲁、 残忍♥、喜欢评头论足
Classmates were very rude, cruel, judgmental.
我没有太多朋友 我会远离人群
I didn't have a lot of friends. I just stayed away from people.
在大约四、五岁时
By about four or five,
他用某种布料把自己的腿裹了起来
he was wrapping his legs up with fabric of some sort.
后来变成了塑料袋和胶带
Then it became plastic bags and tape.
随着时间的推移
As the years went by,
我通过去剧场
I started to get to know the mermaids
和美人鱼们聊天 渐渐开始了解她们
through standing in the theater and talking to them.
她们会说:“埃里克又来了”
It's like, "Oh, Eric's here again."
他总是和我们这些 年长于他的女孩子在一起
He was always hanging out with us older girls.
这非常令人愉快 我们全然接纳了他
And it was sweet, and we certainly took him in.
我们编排演出的时候 他都会在场
He'd be there when we were choreographing all of our numbers.
我真的很想要一个尾鳍
And I really wanted a tail. I really wanted a tail.
我遇到了芭芭拉温斯 她是美人鱼女王
I met Barbara Wynns. She was the mermaid queen.
第一次和埃里克见面时 我正坐在剧场的后台
The first time I met Eric, I was sitting in the back of the theater.
他走到我身边坐下 然后说:
He walks up beside me and he's sitting there going,
“芭芭拉小姐 能给我一个尾鳍吗?” 我说:“什么?”
"Miss Barbara, can I have a tail?" And I'm like, "What?"
我记得当时 有一个没有拉链的坏掉的尾鳍
And I remember there was a destroyed tail that had no zipper.
我走去废料堆 把它拿出来 然后我说:
I went to the scrap piles, grabbed it out, and I said,
“把它放进你的背包里 永远不要把它带回这里”
"Put this in your backpack. And don't you ever bring it back."
我兴奋异常
And I was just beyond thrilled.
我把它带回家 把它修补好 然后它变成了一个真正的尾鳍
Brought it home, fixed it up, and that became the tail.
一切就是这样开始的
That's just how it started.
在我有能力制♥作♥尾鳍后 我会把它们带去给姑娘们
When I had the ability to sew and make tails,
I would bring them for the girls.
她们会在表演时穿上它们
They would put on the tails and wear them during the show,
然后她们会再把它们还给我
and they would bring them back to me.
16岁时 我得到了一个 在水下剧院当演员的职位
Then at 16, I was offered a position in the underwater theater to be a performer.
这是闻所未闻的 因为你必须满18岁
That was unheard of because you had to be 18 years old
才能成为维奇瓦奇的演员
to be a performer at Weeki Wachee.
我知道 我见证了这个男孩的成长
I know I've watched this boy just evolve.
看到这份才华得以绽放
And see this brilliance come out,
看到在他的控制之下 他的身体能够变得多么平和
and to see how calm his body gets when he's in control.
他的身体和他的抽动症 全都处于他的控制之中
He's totally in command of his body and of the Tourette's.
你根本不会知道他的病
You-- You would never know.
(美人鱼晶晶)
在我很小的时候 我就开始研究
At a very young age, I started doing research on
我该如何开启这条道路
how do I start this path.
我要如何成为一名维奇瓦奇美人鱼?
How do I become a Weeki Wachee mermaid?
于是我直接给他们发了邮件
So, I emailed them directly.
他们没有回复我
They never replied to me.
最终 它不再局限于维奇瓦奇
And ultimately, eventually, it evolved past just Weeki Wachee.
它变得更像是一条 我梦寐以求的个人职业道路
It became more of a personal career path that I dream of.
-嘿! -嘿 谢谢你过来
Hey! - Hey. Thank you so much for doing this.
非常乐意
Yeah, totally.
好了 这是你的海盗帽
Okay, so here's your pirate hat.
这是你的海盗战利品袋
I have your little bag of pirate loot here.
一些金币
Some doubloons.
孩子们靠近你时 你可以送给他们
You can give that away to kids freely if they approach you.
哦 - 哦,等等
Oh! - Oh, wait.
- 把手断了 -该死!
The handle just snapped off. - Dang it!
这会给我们造成很多困难
That's gonna make it really hard.
身为一个在阿肯色州的美人鱼
As a mermaid in Arkansas,
我在这里真的没有多少工作机会
there's really just not much work here for me.
但只要我努力探寻
But whenever I really put myself out there,
我也能得到一些派对演出机会
I can get party gigs.
但这些并不足以维生
But they don't really pay the bills.
这就是棘手的地方 我们来晚了
This is where it gets tricky. We've arrived a little late,
我看到已经有小孩在那里 我真的不想让他们看到
and I'm already seeing kids, and I really don't like them to see me
我穿上尾鳍前的样子
before I get my tail on.
这边!
Over here!
你可以用绳子把拉链拉上
So you can pull the zipper up by using the string.
拉链拉到顶以后
Once the zipper is all the way to the top,
你要把这个塞回尾鳍里 好吗?
you want to tuck... this back into the tail, okay?
好的
Okay.
好了
All right.
绳子在这里
I got the string right here.
给
Here.
我帮你
Here.
-糟糕 它坏了? -是的
Oh no, did it break? - Yeah.
为什么今天所有东西都坏了? 想想办法
Why is everything breaking today? I'll figure it out.
它从拉链上脱出来了
No, like, it came off the zipper
拉链有一边脱出来了
Like, um, the zipper broke on one side.
别说话了
Shut up
不是吧 -真的
No, like, seriously.
不可能
No... way.
这修不了了
There's no way to fix that.
你在逗我吗?
Are you kidding me right now?
你家离这里只有15分钟路程
You live 15 minutes away.
我可以去你家重新拿一条过来
I can run home... run to your place and grab another one.
你需要我家的钥匙
You're gonna need my house key.
天啊 太可怕了
Oh my God. This is horrible. - Okay, here. I'll run, real quick.
行 我快去快回 马上回来
I'll be back.
我想知道她在做什么
I don't know what she's doing.
嗯…
Um...
她看起来好像压力很大
It looks like she's kind of stressed out.
美人鱼守则第一千条 一百万条 无数条
Mermaid lesson one thousand, one million, gazillion.
有偿演出时一定要带条备用的尾鳍
Always bring an extra tail to a paid gig.
每次都是
Always.
-美人鱼! -我发现了另一个
Mermaid, mermaid, mermaid! - I found another one.
天啊 孩子们都要走了
Oh my gosh. All these kids are gonna leave.
要在美人鱼出场前离开了
They're gonna leave before the mermaid comes out.
它坏了 我没法穿它 没有尾鳍我不可能出去
It's broken. I can't... I can't wear it. And I can't go out there without the tail.
没有尾鳍 我只是一个 戴着假发穿着紧身裤的女孩子
Without the tail, I'm just a girl in a wig and some leggings.
我一直想成为美人鱼
I always wanted to be a mermaid.
虽然我的成长经历并不容易
Though it wasn't easy for me growing up.
我妈妈和爸爸 在我还是个小宝宝时就离婚了
My mom and dad divorced when I was just a baby,
我很小的时候 我爸爸就进了监狱
and my dad went into prison when I was pretty young.
这个世界的重量可以非常沉重
The weight of the world can be so intense.
你知道 日常生活
You know, day-to-day life,
而美人鱼晶晶就是逃离这一切的依托
and Mermaid Sparkles is an escape from all that.
它真的让我觉得 我在某种程度上 为这个世界带来了一些改变
It really makes me feel like I'm making a difference in the world somehow.
我感觉自己有了目标
I feel like I have purpose.
我感觉自己仿佛是一束光
I feel like a ray of sunshine.
美人鱼!
Mermaid, mermaid, mermaid!
好了
All right.
天啊 谢天谢地
Oh my God. Thank God. Thank God.
来吧
Here we go.
大家准备好 迎接美人鱼晶晶出来了吗?
Alrighty, y'all, are we ready to see Sparkles the Mermaid come out?
你们得确保她能听到你们哦 她能听到你们的声音吗?
Y'all got to make sure she can hear you. Can she hear you? Come on!
一定要让她听到你们的声音 好了
Make sure she can hear you. There we go.
好了
All right.
-小心 -好的
Careful. - Yep.
蹲下
Duck.
蹲下来 好了
Duck down. There we go.
海贝的问候!
Shello!
你看起来更漂亮了!
You look even prettier!
天呐!谢谢!
Oh my goodness! Thank you!
大家准备好游泳了吗?
Well, are we ready to swim?
好了!
Yeah!
你知道珍珠是在蛤蜊中生长的吗?
Do you know pearls are made in clams?
当我看到孩子们的笑容时
When I see all the children's smiling faces
看到他们的眼睛绽放出光芒 这真的是一种特别的体验
and just the way their eyes light up, it really is a special experience.
不过特别的体验也不能当饭吃
Special experiences don't pay the bills though.
所以如果我想成为 一个职业美人鱼 想追求这一目标
So if I really want to be a professional mermaid and pursue this,
我可能得搬家了
I may just... have to move.
(阿肯色州小石城)
(佛罗里达州维奇瓦奇)
维奇瓦奇当时的经济状况非常糟糕
Weeki Wachee was really having a hard time financially.
后来州政♥府♥介入并收♥购♥了它