(佛罗里达州劳德代尔堡)
笑一个!
Smile!
我的天啊
Oh my God.
我们检查过酸碱度了
We checked the pH.
酸碱度变了吗?
Did the pH get changed?
去找管泳池的那个人 确保他没在泳池里放太多氯
Chase down the pool guy. Make sure he didn't put too much chlorine.
-睁开 再睁开一点 -努力把眼睛睁开
Open. Open more. - Force your eye open.
洗眼站在哪里?
How do we find an eye wash station?
该死!
Ah... fuck!
片名:职业美人鱼:美丽背后
(第一集 没有死亡的美人鱼)
20年前
Twenty years ago
我是全球第一个
I was the first professional
自♥由♥职业美人鱼
freelance mermaid in the world.
如今全球有成千上万的从业者
Now, there's thousands around the world.
人鱼表演正在以指数级的速度增长
Mermaiding is growing at an exponential rate.
这是个价值五亿美元的产业
This is a half-billion-dollar industry.
有露天演出、有集♥会♥、
There are pageants, conventions.
有比赛、有选拔、有演出
There are competitions, auditions, shows.
如果你知道要去哪里找的话 你在自己的后院都有可能
There is mermaiding going on probably in your own backyard
看到人鱼表演
if you know where to find it.
公众对职业美人鱼的看法中 最让我郁闷的一点就是
The thing that frustrates me about the public perception
他们认为我们只是在玩化妆游戏
of professional mermaids is that we're just playing dress-up.
你得投资数千美元购买♥♥装备
You're gonna invest thousands of dollars in the equipment,
接受数百个小时的训练
hundreds of hours of time in the training,
而你的首场演出也许能拿到100美元
and your first gig might pay $100.
(真人人鱼)
本质上 人鱼表演是一种危险的艺术
At its core, mermaiding is a danger art.
憋气、视线模糊、危险的动物、洋流
Holding your breath, blurry vision, dangerous animals,
每时每刻都冷到不行
ocean currents, being so cold all the time.
我经常会收到别人给我发的邮件
I get emails from people telling me
说他们想成为职业美人鱼
they want to be a professional mermaid
我的第一个念头就是:
and my first thought is
“你根本不知道自己要面对的是什么”
"Oh, you have no idea what you're getting yourself into."
(墨西哥湾)
(阿肯色州小石城)
全职做美人鱼是非常罕见的
Being a full-time professional mermaid is a rare thing.
我想我是少数能这么做的人之一
I think I'm one of the few who actually get to do something like this.
虽然这是一份梦想中的职业 但它也非常艰辛
And while it definitely is a dream job, it is hard.
要成为美人鱼 需要的不仅仅是一套服装
It takes more than a costume to become a mermaid.
你需要具备无与伦比的游泳技巧、 闭气技巧、个人技巧
You need to have amazing swimming skills, breath-hold skills, personality skills.
你必须要有一个特殊的造型
You have to have a specific look.
如果你努力训练 你足够优秀
If you train hard, and you're good enough,
你在某次试演的时候表现出众 那你就能在水族馆得到一份工作
and you nail one of these auditions, yeah, you could get a job at an aquarium.
场地和工作都是有的
There's venues and jobs available.
但每个空缺职位 都有成千上万的美人鱼在申请
But for every opening, there are thousands of mermaids applying.
(美人鱼 晶晶)
(魔法 混♥蛋♥)
(布莱特妮晶晶)
我在阿肯色州
I am in Arkansas.
不幸的是 在阿肯色州
And unfortunately, in Arkansas,
在这里从事美人鱼一职 我可以说是倒霉到家了
I'm just shit out of luck when it comes to being a mermaid here.
做我真正想做的事 也就是做一名水下表演者
Really doing what I want to do, and that is be an underwater performer.
伸展手臂 来吧 四组
We're reaching. Let's go here. Four sets.
三!
Three!
我一直在寻找提升美人鱼技能的方法
I'm always looking for more ways to grow as a mermaid.
在阿肯色州 在做美人鱼方面 我没办法得到太多的提升
And I can't really grow much as a mermaid in Arkansas
因为我感觉自己被困在了一个箱子里
'cause I feel like I'm trapped in this box.
我是一条内陆美人鱼
I'm a landlocked mermaid.
据我所知 我是阿肯色州唯一的美人鱼
As far as I know, I was the only Arkansas mermaid.
直到我遇到了美人鱼皮可溪
Until I met Mermaid Pixi.
(美人鱼皮可溪)
我要怎么才能弄出更大的水花?
Now, how do I make a bigger splash?
因为我知道我可以做头倒立...
'Cause it's like, I know I can do the headstand, but...
皮可溪和我 建立起了一段深厚的美人鱼友谊
Pixi and I have developed a really great mermaid friendship.
对不起!
Sorry!
我们称对方为“人鱼姐妹”
We call each other "seasters."
我们一起尽我们所能做人鱼表演
And together we do whatever we can to mermaid.
空间只有1.2米 我没想到会这么满
We have four inches. I didn't think it'd be this full.
我知道
I know.
拿着它慢跑
Jog with that.
大部分游泳馆都不允许穿戴人鱼尾鳍
Most pools do not allow mermaid tails.
他们认为这是一个安全隐患
They see it as a safety issue.
但有一个游泳馆偶尔会让我们进去
But there is this one pool that occasionally lets us swim
在他们上水上有氧操课的时候 在一个小角落里游泳
in this little corner while they're doing water aerobics classes.
想象你的上腹部是一块面巾
Imagine your midsection is a washcloth.
三!
Three!
我们会利用一切能得到的资源
You know, we take what we can get.
(绛门)
我当时大约11岁
I was probably around 11,
我那时候的继父
and, uh, my stepdad at the time,
他跟我说:
he said to me,
“佛罗里达州 有个叫维奇瓦奇泉的地方
"You know, there's this place in Florida called Weeki Wachee Springs
那里有人鱼表演”
where they have mermaid shows."
他刚说出“人鱼表演”四个字时
And the moment he said the words "mermaid shows,"
我忽然觉得醍醐灌顶
it just hit me like a ton of bricks.
人鱼表演?
Mermaid shows?
等等 我长大以后 有可能可以靠当美人鱼挣钱?
Wait, I could potentially grow up and get paid to be a mermaid?
这是一份工作?
That's a job?
我做过的最棒的工作
Best job I ever had.
我要从哪里开始?童话故事
Where do I start? Fairy tale.
(佛罗里达州阿卡迪亚)
我想成为美人鱼 我实现了我的愿望
I wanted to be a mermaid. I got my wish.
1967年至1968年 我在维奇瓦奇当美人鱼
I was a Weeki Wachee mermaid from 1967 to 1968.
如果能重来一次 我会毫不犹豫地做出同样选择
If I could do it again, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
因为维奇瓦奇
Because Weeki Wachee
是地表最神奇的地方之一
is one of the most magical places on the face of this Earth.
(佛罗里达州维奇瓦奇泉)
当你驱车来到维奇瓦奇时 他们门口有许多的美人鱼
When you drive to Weeki Wachee, they've got all those mermaids out front,
还有许多的大旗杆
and all those big flagpoles
另外还有一座,顶上有着一对
and then there's the big statue
阿达若人鱼的巨大雕塑,你会感叹:
with the Adagio on top, and it's just like...
“这是什么地方啊?”
"What is this place?"
以一个巨大的水下泉为水源
Fed by a huge underwater spring,
维奇瓦奇拥有着 世界上最大的水下剧场
Weeki Wachee has the largest underwater theater in the world.
数百万游客前往 佛罗里达州的水下大峡谷
Millions of people enjoy the fascinating beauty
维奇瓦奇泉公园
of this submerged theater wonderland
一睹这个水下剧场的迷人风姿
at Weeki Wachee Springs, Florida's underwater Grand Canyon.
“维奇瓦奇”的意思是“蜿蜒的水域”
"Weeki Wachee" means "winding water."
维奇瓦奇是一个
Weeki Wachee was a huge spring
位于荒郊野岭的巨大泉眼
just out in the middle of nowhere.
从那里冒出来的泉水
And that water coming up out of there
非常纯净、清澈、悠久
is so pristine and pure and ancient.
仿佛在地球母亲的子♥宫♥里一样
It's like being in the womb of Mother Earth.
那泉水有一种神奇的力量 非常奇妙
There is something magical, absolutely magical about that water.
我进去看了表演
I went in and saw the show,
我被深深地震撼了
and I was just blown away.
我知道自己必须做这行
And I knew I had to do it.
我以游客的身份走进了维奇瓦奇
I walked into Weeki Wachee as a tourist.
从维奇瓦奇出来时 13岁的我改头换面...
I walked out of Weeki Wachee at 13 as a transformed...
“别拦着我 我不知道我要怎么做
"Get out of my way. I don't know how I'm gonna do that,
但我一定会这么做”
but it's gonna happen."
(美人鱼的诞生)
I was 17 years old.
我当时17岁
在当时 女生就该为人♥妻♥ 为人母
And, at that time, a girl's place was to be a wife and a mother.
(佛罗里达州维奇瓦奇)
我们打破了常规
We were outside the box.
我们在美人鱼成为热潮之前 就在做美人鱼了
We were mermaids before it was "the thing" to be a mermaid.
我们是小女孩们的梦想
We were the dream of the little girl.
对我来说 这是无与伦比的
To me there was just nothing else like it
光是提起它 我就起鸡皮疙瘩了
I get goose bumps just talking about it
因为它对我来说真的非常特别
'cause it's just really so very special to me.
我为什么要学几何学? 我要成为美人鱼
Why do I need geometry? I'm gonna be a mermaid.
(维奇瓦奇全美冠军赛 全球最美丽的运动员)
我愿意付出任何代价 换一个重回那个童话的机会
I would do anything to be able to go back into that fairy tale.
(佛罗里达州)
(弗吉尼亚州亚历山大)
我是美人鱼谢莫尼克
I'm Mermaid Chè Monique
我是美人鱼模特
I am a mermaid model