洛杉矶 1978年
我叫卡森·菲利浦斯
My name is Carson Phillips.
是个私♥家♥侦♥探♥
I'm a PI.
我爱喝酒 爱抽烟 爱赌博
I like to drink. I like to smoke. I like to gamble.
有时候 稍微有点爱得过头了
Sometimes, a little too much.
但是你知道人们常说
But you know what they say.
凡事有度
Everything in moderation.
度且有度
Including moderation.
我以为可以甩开这些人 但是
I figured I could've taken these guys, but...
上一次有些不速之客 他们毁了我的家
last time I had uninvited guests, they trashed my place
说实话 卡森 我的猫
and frankly, Raymond, my cat,
还没从这件事中缓过来
still hasn't gotten over it.
我可拿着只猫呢
I'm holding a cat.
-什么 -你给我拿好了
- What? - You hold it.
妈的
Damn it!
真该死
Goddamn it!
我已经在洛杉矶工作了20多年
I've been working in LA for over 20 years.
不论是谁把这座城市命名为天使之城
Whoever named this place the City of Angels
真的是相当有幽默感
certainly had a terrific sense of humor.
在好莱坞的浮华与光鲜背后
Behind all the Hollywood glitz and glam
这里跟其他城市没什么不同
it's just like any other city.
除非圣安娜飓风吹走沙漠的燥热
Except when the Santa Ana winds blow hot off the desert
无法想象的事情突然间变成了现实
and the unimaginable suddenly turns real.
人们开始惊慌失措
People get a little more jumpy.
毛骨悚然
Their skin starts to crawl.
尸横遍野是整座城市狂欢的尾声
And parties end with dead bodies.
我猜这就是娱乐精神吧
But I guess that's entertainment.
我受托的工作大部分都很普通
Most of my jobs are pretty routine.
出轨的夫妻
Cheating spouses,
拒付抚养费的父亲 失踪的人
deadbeat dads, missing persons.
但每隔一段时间
But every once in a while,
就会有个案子变得我无法预料
a case becomes something I never saw coming.
你带卡森来上班了
You brought Raymond to work.
这次谁在跟踪你
Who's after you this time?
你每次带卡森来上班
Well, you only bring Raymond in
都是因为有人在抓你
when someone's after you
你必须要躲起来
and you gotta hide out.
你管闲事的时候还真可爱呢
Aren't you cute when you're not minding your own business?
照顾他几天
Take him for a few days.
当然了 卡森
Sure thing, Carson.
对了 有人在你办公室等你
By the way, someone's in your office.
我看到了
I can see that.
菲利浦斯先生吗
Mr. Phillips?
你看上去很惊讶啊
You seem surprised.
我还以为你看上去会更老一点
I was just expecting you'd look much older.
但你似乎好像随时都可以上场打球了
You almost look like you could suit up right now.
你一定对我的过去有所了解 请坐吧
You must know a little bit about my past. Have a seat.
我在加尔维斯顿长大
I grew up in Galveston.
原来如此
Oh, well.
我是觉得听到了些得州东部的口音
I thought I caught a little bit of East Texas in there.
你曾经真的很引人注目
You were something to watch.
拍马屁
Flattery...
可以让你走遍天下
It'll get you everywhere.
愿意为你效劳 有什么需要帮忙的
I'm yours. How can I help you?
是这样 菲利浦斯先生
Well, Mr. Phillips,
我的姑妈 芭芭拉·范·普尔
my aunt, Barbara Van Poole,
在加尔维斯顿郊外的一家疗养院
is in a sanitarium just outside of Galveston.
叫做芳草地疗养院
Pleasant Meadows?
我记得芳草地疗养院
I remember Pleasant Meadows.
几年前 她精神彻底崩溃了
A few years back, she had a complete nervous breakdown
自从那以来就没有好转过
and she just hasn't been well ever since.
我曾经还可以给她打电♥话♥聊聊天
I used to call and speak with her regularly,
但现在我每次打电♥话♥ 都只是被搪塞
but now when I phone, I just get the runaround.
我能得到的全部回复只是一些邮件
All I get are some letters in the mail.
是这样 我不怎么接出城的工作 那
Well, you see, I don't typically do out-of-town jobs, so...
好吧 只是我不想在那里雇佣任何人
Well, it's just that I don't wanna hire anyone from there
我不知道可不可以信任他们
'cause I don't know if I can trust them.
那你怎么知道可以信任我呢
How do you know you can trust me?
卡森
Hey, Carson.
出城几个礼拜
I think it might be a good idea for you
我觉得对你来说也许是个好主意
to get out of town for a few weeks.
我们在说的可是加尔维斯顿
We're talking about Galveston here.
加尔维斯顿怎么了
W-What's wrong with Galveston?
没什么 只是不适合我罢了
Not a thing. Just not for me.
开价吧 卡森
Name your price, Carson.
一个背负着伤感故事的美人
A beautiful woman with a sob story
总是我的弱点之一
has always been one of my weaknesses.
她随身的空白支票簿
Along with her having an open checkbook...
她越来越让我无法抗拒
she became irresistible.
公路一直对我来说是个迷人的地方
The road has always been a fascinating place for me.
轮胎撞击沥青的嗡嗡声像催眠曲一样
The drone of the tires against the asphalt
伴我同行回到那几乎不再踏足的地方
becomes this hypnotic chorus taking me back to places I rarely go.
我回来了 得克萨斯
There I was, back in Texas.
牛仔的摇篮 美丽的女人
The land of cowboys, beautiful women,
72盎司的牛排
72 ounce steaks...
你不会对这牛排失望的
You won't be disappointed in these steaks.
还有那最神圣的橄榄球
...and the holiest of holy.
自从我离开得州之后发生了很多事
A lot has happened since I left Texas.
披头士和越南战争来了又走
The Beatles and Vietnam had come and gone,
阿姆斯特朗号♥去了月球
Armstrong walked on the moon,
我喝的波本酒足够装满棉花碗
and I drank enough bourbon to fill the Cotton Bowl
棉花碗 橄榄球赛体育场
也许我喝到足够多终能面对我过去的耻辱
Maybe I drank enough to finally face the shame of my past.
我逃离了简恩
I ran out on Jayne,
那个我唯一爱过的女人
the only woman I've ever loved,
比我在那场决定性的决赛中丢脸之后
faster than I ever ran on the field,
逃得都要快
after I disgraced myself in that fateful final game.
你好
Hello.
我们正等着你呢
We've been expecting you.
是吗
You have?
你是作为研究所的观察员来的 对吗
You're here as an observer from the Institute, aren't you?
不 我只是
Nope. I'm just...
-来这探访个病人 -朋友吗
- here to visit a patient. - A friend?
你是负责什么的 医生还是什么
What's your position? Are you a doctor or something?
不 我是妄想性精神分♥裂♥症患者
No. Paranoid schizophrenic.
她在这呢
There she is.
我有只猫也有妄想症
I have a cat that's paranoid.
治疗时间到了 不好意思先生
It's time for session. Sorry, sir.
三点半日光室开始宾果游戏
Bingo at 3:30 in the sunroom.
现在 各位不要忘记
Now, don't forget everyone...
-你好 -你好
- Howdy - Howdy
有什么可以帮您的
Can I help you?
我来这看一个你们的患者
Yeah. I'm here to see a patient of yours
叫做芭芭拉·范·普尔的
by the name of Barbara Van Poole.
不要忘记 三点半在日光室举♥行♥宾果游戏
Don't forget, bingo at 3:30 in the sunroom.
-有什么问题吗 -没有
- Something wrong? - No
只是这个名字不是很耳熟
That name don't sound familiar.
你可以描述一下她的样子吗
Can you describe her?
她住在这里 我想你会比我更清楚
Well, she lives here. I think you'd do a better job than I can.
她可能就在你们的档案里 查一查就行
She's probably in your files there. Just check them.
我先联♥系♥一下米切尔医生
I'll get Dr. Mitchell.
好的
All right.
15分钟后在主草坪上进行集体冥想
Group meditation on the main lawn in 15 minutes.
主草坪上将要开始集体冥想
There'll be group meditation on the main lawn...
他现在可能非常忙
He's really busy right now.
如果您不介意的话可以先坐坐
If you don't mind having a seat.
好
All right.
你们这里做电击治疗吗
Y'all do electric shock treatment here?
总之不会对访客治疗
Not to visitors.
好消息
Well, that's good news.
他是来探望芭芭拉·范·普尔的
He's here to see Barbara Van Poole.