including proving that you're insane.
--我是无辜的? --对
I'm insane? That's right.
我要以家族三代的3K党成员事实来辩护,
I'm gonna argue that as a product of three generations of Klan mentality,
因为你的潜意识已经被荼毒了
your preconscious indoctrination into a world
你的憎恨以及非理性恐惧,造成了你的心理扭曲
of hate and distortion born of irrational fear
从而导致你心智衰退,不能明辨是非
has resulted in diminished mental capacity to determine right from wrong.
噢,只是因为我有不同的政♥治♥信仰
Oh. You're gonna argue I'm insane
你就想说我是疯了来辩护
because I held different political beliefs
对比起你和你♥爸♥爸,那个天真的、
than you and your father
喜欢黑鬼的,该死的热心肠的蠢货,我的确是疯了!
and this naive, nigger-loving, bleeding-heart bullshit!
我的辩护词可不会用到那些词语
Well, I probably won't use those exact words in my brief.
我会等着看精神病医生的报告
I'll just wait and see the psychiatrist's report.
噢,我要去看精神病大夫了,是吗?
Oh, I'm gonna see a psychiatrist, am I?
是的
That's right.
哼,疯了吧
Hmm. That's insane.
仅仅因为爸爸是公民权力的律师,就去杀了他两个5岁的小孩
Killing two 5-year-olds 'cause their father was working
那才是真疯了
for civil rights is insane.
我从来没有想要杀那两个小孩
Never meant to kill those kids.
好吧,那为什么14天后偏偏是你
Well, that's fine. But it just happens to be the crime
要被处以死刑
which you're scheduled to be executed for in exactly 14 days.
好吧
Okay.
好的
Good.
我还需要做些家庭背景的调查
I need to go over some more family background with you.
我在姑姑那里问到了些,但还是缺了很多
I got some stuff from Lee, but there's a lot of holes in it.
她这段时间过的很糟糕
She's going through a tough time right now.
看到这个后我尝试着给她打电♥话♥,但她没接
I tried to call her when I saw this, but she didn't answer.
(社交名媛是种族主义杀人犯的女儿)
我想她又开始酗酒了
I think she's drinking again.
你知道她有酒瘾吗?
Did you know she's an alcoholic?
对你所犯下的罪孽,你懊悔过吗?
Have you ever felt feelings of remorse for any of your crimes?
没有
No.
你有没有向受害者的家属道过歉?
Have you ever apologized to your victims' family?
没有,那有什么意义
No, what would be the point?
那你认为什么是有意义的?
What do you think would be the point?
都没有意义
No point.
帕克
Packer.
我想让你知道,当我说起你们这些...
I want you to know that when I talk about your people,
我...
I...
我...
Well...
我明白了,山姆
I hear you, Sam.
以你的专业判断,山姆-凯霍尔是否
In your professional opinion, then, does Sam Cayhall
或多或少还尚存一点点人性意识
have anything that might even remotely be called a conscience?
我没有发现有证据可以证明他有
I found no evidence of one.
比都斯博士,以你的判断,山姆-凯霍尔是否能够感知现实世界?
Dr. Biddows, in your opinion, is Sam Cayhall in touch with reality?
不,他不能
No, he is not.
谢谢你,比都斯博士
Thank you, Dr. Biddows.
没有更多问题了,法官大人
No further questions, Your Honor.
州政♥府♥发言?
What saith the state?
州政♥府♥传唤克莱德-帕克警官
The state calls Sergeant Clyde Packer.
帕克警长,能否请你向法庭陈述下你现在的供职
Sergeant Packer, would you inform this court how long
这份工作你已经做了很久了吧?
you have held your present position, please?
我已经管理死囚监牢15年了,先生
Been running the row for 15 years, sir,
山姆和我一同呆了这15年
and Sam's been with me the whole time.
那么在这段时间里,你是否观察到凯霍尔先生
And during this time, have you ever observed Mr. Cayhall
有过人性意识
demonstrate he might have a conscience?
你是指他是否对其他人有感觉?
Cared about other people's feelings?
是的,先生
Oh, yes, sir.
所有人都知道山姆对黑人伙伴不友好
Everybody knows that Sam has a real bad attitude toward black folk.
但是有一天晚上他当面对我说,
But just the other night he told me to my face,
他说的话...
when he says stuff like that...
意思就是他想要道歉
Let's just say he tried to apologize.
虽然他也没有明说
And he didn't even get it all out.
当然说过这些话不能证明他就是个好人了,只是对于山姆来说,已经是很不容易了
And it sure don't make him no saint, but for Sam, that's a big deal.
他是有人性意识的,是的,先生
He most certainly do has a conscience. Yes, sir.
那么你这么近距离的观察凯霍尔先生,那么长一段时间
And during all this time that you been observing Mr. Cayhall so closely,
你认为他明白周遭的事务吗?
would you say he knows what's going on around him?
你认为理解现实世界吗?
Would you say he's out of touch with reality?
几天前的一个晚上,我经过他,他说,“克莱德”
A couple of nights back, I was walking past, and he said, "Clyde."
他从来没有直呼过我的名字,所以我知道应该是有什么重要的事情
He never called me that before, so I knew it was important.
我问他,什么事,山姆?
Could I help? "With what, Sam?"
他说,“我想要一个人孤独的死去”
And he said, "I wanna die alone."
“另外,死的时候我想穿的体面点”
"And I wanna die in decent clothes."
“我想吃个爱斯基摩派”
"I wanna eat an Eskimo Pie."
“还有我能不能看看日出?”
"And could I see a sunrise?"
我告诉他,“日出的事我来安排,山姆”
I said, "Last one's on me, Sam."
所以我单独给了他一个小时放风
So I snuck him out, gave him a hour alone.
我从里面看着他
I watched through the inside.
在太阳升起的那一刻,我想他完全沉浸了
I thought he might lose it once the sun started coming.
有15、16年了,山姆没有看到过破晓
See, it's been 15 or 16 years since Sam last saw dawn break.
但他也表现的不错,没有出格的举动
But he held together just fine.
所以你的看法是,基于你的观察,
In your opinion, based on your observations,
山姆-凯霍尔能够理解现实世界?
is Sam Cayhall in touch with reality?
你说山姆?那是肯定的
Sam? You betcha.
谢谢你,帕克警长
Thank you, Sergeant Packer.
谢谢
Thank you.
我问完了,法官大人
Tender the witness, Your Honor.
第五巡回法♥院♥怎么说?
What's happening in the Fifth Circuit?
--以精神问题的辩护失败了 --嗨
Thumbs down on insanity later today. Hi.
--嗨 --你在这啊
Hi. There you are.
我们的小年轻霍尔律师都在忙活什么?
What's young Mr. Hall been up to?
还是那些事
No change.
再查查, 他都在干些什么?
Try again. What has he been working on?
他到处寻找新线索
He's looking everywhere for new information.
什么样的线索
What kind of information?
诺拉?
Nora?
州长?
Sir?
你还没和他上♥床♥吧?
You're not sleeping with him, are you?
没有
No.
那他在找什么样的线索?
Then what kind of information?
任何线索,所有线索,他不顾一切的找
Anything, everything. He's desperate.
他在哪里找?
Where is he looking?
--我不知道 ---去查出来
I don't know. Well, find out.
不顾一切的人很危险
Desperate people are dangerous.
也许你该和他睡上一觉
Maybe you ought to be sleeping with him.
你好
Hey.
我们能谈谈吗?
Can we talk?
当然
Sure.
塔米?
Tammy?
主♥权♥委员会档案,原件
The Sovereignty Commission files, the originals,
在记录大厅里保管
under lock and key in the Hall of Records.
为什么市区划报告不能等到明天?
Why can't zoning reports wait for tomorrow?
--你自己问州长,我可不想丢了工作 --诺拉
You ask the Governor. I like my job. Nora.
诺拉,诺拉
Nora, Nora.
我怕的是你
It's you that I'm scared of.
宾克,拜托了,我今晚要加班做完的
Bink, please. I've gotta get this done tonight.
我会帮你锁好的
I'll lock up for you.
我们的小秘密
Our little secret.
我们的
You and me.
祝你有个愉快的夜晚
Have a good evening.
嗯哼
Uh-huh.
这边
This way.
主♥权♥委员会
Sovereignty Commissions.
“白人公民权利,印第安诺拉”
"White Citizen's Council, Indianola."
翻回去
Go back.
“M.K.的情况要跟踪到底”
"M.K. situation should be followed through."
M.K.是马文-克莱默
Marvin Kramer.
还是马丁-金
Or Martin King.
“律所, 3月18日” 是马文-克莱默
"Law office, March 18." It's Marvin Kramer.
爆♥炸♥是什么时候
When was the bombing?
4月28日
April 28.
“同意于9月2日行动”,不是4月2日吗?
"Action agreed September 2." I thought you said it was in April.
电影精选列表