The timer was set for 8:00.
这点在审讯时可没被提起
That was never introduced at trial.
嘿,律师提没提我可管不着
Hey, I can't help it if the damn lawyers didn't make use of it.
我写在报告里了
It was in our report.
好的,我想看看报告
Well, I'd like to see that report.
这我可帮不了你了,伙计,我现在只是个渔夫
Well, I can't help you there, pal. I'm just a fisherman now,
不过我会去看毒气行刑的
who'd just as soon see him gassed.
我这辈子就在和这些残暴的混♥蛋♥打交道
I've been around those violent assholes all my life.
让他们也尝尝暴♥力♥的滋味
Let them taste the other end of violence.
看看脱了兜帽他们还那么不怕死吗
See how brave they are without their hoods.
你懂的
You know what I'm talking about.
已经是过了30年的老案子了,为什么那个FBI还是不肯开口
Why would our FBI friend not want to tell us something about a 30-year-old case?
因为这里是密西西比,这里全是秘密
'Cause you're in Mississippi now. Land of the secrets.
到处埋葬着尸体
There are bodies buried everywhere.
但是没人会隐瞒山姆的案子
But no one's trying to hide anything about Sam.
没必要,因为就是他干的
They don't have to. He did it.
他们只是不想你继续查下去,
They just don't want you sifting through the ashes,
因为他们不知道会不会带出其他事
'cause they're not sure what else you might turn up.
“他们”是谁
Who is "they"?
所有人
Everyone.
没有人,那又有什么区别呢
No one. What difference does it make?
区别可能大了
Well, maybe a lot.
举个例子来说,你
I mean, take you, for instance.
你真是来帮我的吗?
Are you really here to help me?
或者是他们安排你来监视我的?
Or did they assign you to spy on me?
你有没有听说过主♥权♥委员会?
You ever heard of the Sovereignty Commission?
印象模糊
Vaguely.
现在解散了
Well, it doesn't exist anymore.
是50年代成立的
They started it in the '50s.
那是密西西比州政♥府♥防止联邦权力的“侵入”的组织
It was an official state agency dedicated to states' rights,
比如,反对公民权力
i.e. fighting civil rights.
主♥权♥委员会被认为参与及协调了
Some people think it was actually coordinating
所有的白人理事会
all of the white citizens' councils.
那是什么?
What were those?
每个城镇都有一个
Every town had one.
一群当地有名望的白人
A local group of respectable white people.
有能力的,社区的骨干等等
Professional types, pillars of their community,
他们来领导3K党
who told the Klan what to do.
所以像山姆这种人根本没能进决策圈
So somebody like Sam wasn't even making decisions.
就像那个FBI说的那样
Like our FBI friend said,
他们就是些穷苦的、没受过教育的,看着地图都找不到自己屁♥股♥的盲目从众
they were poor, uneducated bigots who couldn't find their butts with a map.
白人理事会利用他们来干脏活
The citizens' councils used them to do their dirty work.
主♥权♥委员会还负责什么?
And the Sovereignty Commission?
他们还负责记录档案
They kept the records.
山姆,请在这里签字
Sam, please sign this.
我什么都不签
I ain't signing nothing.
这些档案是州立立法机关封存的
The files are sealed by the state legislature.
只有在死囚牢房♥的被告
Now, as a defendant on death row,
就是说你,也只有你,能够启封自己的档案
you and only you can apply to have your files opened.
还有20天你就要死了,好吗,这可能会有帮助
You're set to die in 20 days, all right. This might help.
--要帮也是帮到他,帮不到我 --帮谁?
Help him, maybe. Not me. Help who?
帮州长,你个蠢货,还不明白吗?
The Governor, you dumb ass. Can't you see it?
他自己不能启封这些档案,
He can't open the files hisself,
所以他让你来帮他
so he gets you to do it for him.
怎么?他会帮我?
Why? To help me?
就是他把我弄进这里的
He put me here.
他只是和所有政客一样
Nah. He's just fishing for what every politician wants,
往对手身上泼脏水
dirt on their enemies.
档案里有些什么,山姆?
What's in those files, Sam?
对你来说什么都没用, 只是些他们用得到的,
Nothing for you. No, it's just stuff they'd use
用来歪曲事实和伤害我们帮会的材料
to twist around and hurt my people.
我和你一帮的
I'm your people.
你明白吗?我们是一帮的
Don't you get it? I am.
你不是和我们帮会的,你都从没见过我们帮会的人
You ain't my real people. You ain't never met my real people.
(知道父亲是凶手后自杀)
我不知道他们是怎么知道的
I don't know how they got the story.
现在他们查到我只是时间问题了
It's only a matter of time before they get around to me.
我很抱歉,不过
Well, I am sorry. But, listen,
我想我有点头绪了
I think I might be onto something.
我要彻底追查下去
I'm following some leads from way back.
看在上帝的份上,亚当,别查了
For God's sake, Adam, leave it alone.
姑姑,我真的觉得我能救爷爷
Lee, I really think I can save him.
那你有没有想过他值不值得被救?
Ever occur to you he might not be worth saving?
--你不是那个意思 --好吧,亚当
You can't mean that. All right, Adam.
你想了解过去?
You wanna know about the past?
我来告诉你发生了什么
I'll tell you about the past.
这是我的树
This was my tree.
我自己的月桂树
My own laurel tree.
当时我在树上
I was up there.
你♥爸♥爸在那,和坎斯一起
Your father was there, with Quince.
他们那时8岁,或者9岁
They were eight. Maybe they were nine.
他们是最要好的朋友
And they were best friends.
他们有天打了起来,然后你爷爷听到了,
They were fighting and kicking, and they made so much noise Daddy heard
他出来看个究竟
and come out to see what all the ruckus was.
--你在听吗? --继续,继续
You hear me?
Go on. Go on.
滚回家去
Get on home!
坎斯的爸爸是你爷爷请的记日制工人
Quince's father did day work for Daddy.
他叫乔
His name was Joe.
你爷爷从来是笨手笨脚的,尤其是那些手工活
Daddy never was very handy, you know, with mechanical things,
乔能为修修弄弄,他很能干
so Joe fixed things for us. He made things.
他一直在这里做工
He was here all the time.
那天坎斯和他爸爸要回去了
So then Quince came back with his father.
坎斯,听说你打我儿子了
My boy, Quince, said you been beating on him.
他们厮打了起来,像野蛮人一样
They fought so hard. Like animals.
忽然间,你爷爷抓起了一个耙子
At one point, Daddy grabbed the rake.
事情就失控了
And things got out of hand.
他把乔打翻在地
He knocked Joe over. Joe fell to the ground.
乔大叫着让坎斯去拿散♥弹♥枪♥
And he yelled for Quince to run and get his shotgun.
坎斯,快去拿我的散♥弹♥枪♥!
Quince, go get my shotgun!
山姆叫艾迪去拿他的散♥弹♥枪♥,艾迪懵了
Sam told Eddie to go get his. Eddie froze.
但你爷爷继续叫,终于艾迪还是送来了
But Daddy made him go.
乔当时在这里
Joe was here.
你爷爷在那里
Daddy was there.
进屋子里去,快去!
Get in the house. Go on.
乔等不到儿子来送散♥弹♥枪♥
Joe waited for his gun.
他东张西望
He kept looking around.
山姆手拿着...
Sam had his.
然后,我那亲爱的父亲...
And then my dear, sweet father...
这里是密西西比
This was Mississippi
在50年代早期
in the early '50s.
你爷爷说他是自卫
Daddy said self-defense.
他甚至都没有被逮捕审讯
He was never even so much as arrested.
我爸爸和坎斯为什么打架?
What were my dad and Quince fighting about?
为了个玩具大兵
A toy soldier.
艾迪以为坎斯偷拿了
Eddie thought Quince had stolen it.
当天晚上在自己床底下找到了
That night he found it under his bed.
他把责任背在了自己身上
He took the weight of the world on his shoulders.
他说
And then he said.
是他杀了乔-林肯
I had killed Joe Lincoln, too.
他说如果我那时叫爸爸停手
He said if I had cried out for Daddy to stop,
爸爸就不会开枪
no way would he have fired.
不会在他的甜甜宝贝女儿面前开枪
Not with his sweet baby girl watching.
是的,他说得对
Of course, he was right.
那也是我的错
It was my fault, too.
都是我的错!
It's mine!
你吵到爸爸了
Making so much noise Daddy heard.
滚回家!
Get on home!
坎斯!坎斯!
Quince! Quince!
帮帮我,坎斯
Help me, Quince.
去拿我的散♥弹♥枪♥!
Get my shotgun!
你爷爷从来是笨手笨脚的,尤其是那些手工活
电影精选列表