"Oh, well this must be interesting."
它确实像科幻小说里的情节一样
It did seem like something out of science fiction.
所以今天会出现奇迹是吧
So everything's gonna work today, right?
取决于你
Up to you, Bill.
我遇到比尔的时候
I met Bill about, I would say a year
大约是在脑部植入手术的一年前
before we did the brain implant.
舒服吗
Is that good?
我们说 有一个另外的手术
We said, "Another surgery involved,
而且还在实验阶段
and this is experimental.
可能我们的同事们
It's a little bit on the edge
会有一点不能接受
of what our colleagues are ready to accept."
他们已经找病人
They had been looking for a patient
找了一段时间了
for quite a while.
看起来怎么样
How's that look?
不错
Good.
我不能理解为什么
And I couldn't understand why
处于这种情况的人会不想来尝试
somebody along the way wouldn't want to do this.
看起来都很好
Everything's looking good.
我们把两个微电极阵列
We have two microelectrode arrays implanted
植入到比尔的运动中枢
into Bill's primary motor cortex.
16平方毫米的大小
Four by four millimeters in size
以及96个记录电极
and ninety-six recording electrodes.
每个电极都能穿透皮层组织
Each electrode penetrates the cortical tissue,
1.5毫米深
1.5 millimeters in depth
博卢 阿吉博耶 博士 生物医学工程 西部案例储备
and can record the activity of individual neurons.
可以记录下每个神经元的活动
比尔 接下来我们需要
So Bill one of the things we need to do
校正解码器
is we need to calibrate the decoder,
请你看着屏幕并同时想象
so watch and then also imagine
你在做着一样的动作
you're performing those same movements.
我们让他们看手臂的动画
We have them watch an animation of an arm,
想象着自己在做这些动作
imagine themselves as controlling those movements,
然后我们会创建算法
and we'll build this algorithm
用于解码这个动作意图
decoding the movement intention.
很好
Excellent.
然后我们把这个意图
We then send that intention
发送到植入在比尔手上的电极
to electrodes implanted in Bill's arm and hand.
我们的目的是恢复行动能力
And our goal is to restore movement.
好了比尔 我要继续了
Okay Bill, I'm gonna go ahead
把你和这个连接到一起 好吗
and connect you to that, all right?
好
Yes.
连上了
Okay, it's on.
如果比尔脑部的电子活动
If the electrical activity in Bill's brain
能正确地进行刺♥激♥
can stimulate in the right pattern,
你就能让手动起来去开门和关门了
you can get an arm to move, a hand to open, a hand to close.
把那个和卡连上
Connect that to the card.
想象伸手和抬手
Imagine reaching out, imagine reaching up.
好 对了
All right, here we go.
但也有不成功的时候
But it may not work.
我脑内的信♥号♥♥会变
The signals change in my brain,
他们为此煞费苦心
so that's a task they struggle with a lot.
我们相信它的潜力是巨大的
We believe the potential is massive.
但是仍有许多技术上的挑战
But there are some technical challenges
我们在不断克服
we are working towards overcoming.
在神经科学上的突破
It's extraordinarily difficult
是极为艰难的
to make breakthroughs in neuroscience.
科学家们正在努力解决着难题
Scientists are tackling these really complicated problems,
尝试着别人
trying to do things that other people
觉得不可能的事情
consider to be impossible.
这让人既兴奋
And it makes it both an extremely exciting time
又害怕
but also, it's daunting
因为我们不知道
because we don't know the best approach
最佳方案是什么
to make progress.
神经科学难以有所建树
中心实验室
There's many reasons why neuroscience
是有很多原因的
is an extremely difficult field to build in.
不仅在获取合适的神经信♥号♥♥上
You not only have the technological challenge
有技术挑战
of getting good neural signal,
同时在解码它的时候
but then you also have the scientific challenge
又有科学挑战
of figuring out how to decode a signal.
光学上 我们在设计软件的时候
Optics, we're looking at geometries
考虑的是几何图形
in our design of the hardware.
因此对资金的需求
Then you have intense capital requirements often times
往往高达数亿美元
in the hundreds of millions of dollars.
布莱登 我们的预算怎么样了
Brandon, how are we doing on budget?
我们得在计划时间内完成
We need this done in that timeframe.
我知道这很困难
I know it's gonna be a lot.
最后 关于安全
And finally, you have important safety
和伦理方面的考虑也很重要
and ethical considerations.
简单来说 就是非常不容易
It's challenging, to say the least.
但是我觉得在脑部研究
But I think it is absolutely essential
取得突破是至关重要的
that we make breakthroughs in the brain.
如果成功了
If we can do that,
我们就可以客服生理的局限
we can overcome our biological limitations.
我们可以跳过阻止我们前进的东西
We can reject the things that stop us from moving forward.
多伦多西部医院
福特医生 请拨1♥1♥4♥
Dr. Ford, please dial 1♥1♥4♥.
这个方案完全是偶然发现的
This procedure was purely by accident.
史蒂芬去了他的眼科专家那里
Stephen had been to his eye specialist.
他说 我知道一个神奇的医生
He said, "I know a doctor who is doing some amazing things."
这个安格斯方案
It's called the Argus procedure.
他们已经给8-10个病人做了
They've done between eight and ten patients already.
他们在眼下面植入芯片
They implant a chip underneath the eye,
电极装进脑部
and electrodes are hooked up to the brain.
你好 史蒂芬 我是德文伊医生
Hi, Stephen, it's Dr. Devenyi, how are you?
这个方案 确实是我们做的
This procedure, it's for sure the most complicated
最复杂的方案
operation we do.
-效果肯定很好的 -嗯
- This won't be bad. - Sure.
我取消了今天所有的安排
I cleared my schedule today
-专门为了这个治疗 -很好
- just for this occasion. - Good.
罗伯特德文尼博士 多伦多西部医院
对眼部是一个大的侵入
And it's a significant intrusion into the eye.
其实眼部有一个波段
Basically there's a band that goes around the eye.
以前被我们忽视了
Far back, we don't see it.
那就是接受和发射电极
And that has the receiving and transmitting electrodes.
同时那里有一部分
And then there's a portion from that...
这是一项新技术
It's a new technology,
还没有全面的了解
so I'm not like I got a brochure.
不能100%保证
It's not a hundred percent, so
所以可能会出错
something could go wrong.
一会儿见
I'll see you soon.
-我们会搞定的 -非常感谢
- We'll get this done. - Thank you very much.
好的 保重
Okay, take care.
但是当你到55岁的时候
But you reach a point when you're 55 years old,
双目失明
you're blind.
那时候应该何去何从呢
Where do you go from there?
所以我就说 是啊 为什么不试试呢
So I said, yeah sure, why not?
我时间多着呢
I got lots of time.
如果你按这个单子做的话
If you could do this list,
我们得记得明天去告诉医生
we have to remember to tell the doctor tomorrow.
好的
Okay.
你吃药的半小时之前
So half hour before your meds.
做什么都得慢一点
Everything slows down.
我腿的疼痛
That writhing of my leg...
有几个月了
It's been several months.
要做手术的决定
And this decision for the surgery,
对她来说确实很难
it's been very difficult for her of course
对我也是挑战
and challenging for me.
不过孩子和我
But my kids and I
都鼓励她多考虑一下
are encouraging her more and more to consider it.
两条腿都痛还是只是右腿
Both legs are cramping or just your right leg?
只是右腿
No just my right leg.
右侧腿脚绞痛
电影精选列表