今天和我们一起的是布瑞恩·强森
Today Bryan Johnson is with us
他在一些生物和科技的重要领域里
who's investing in some of the most important areas
进行了投资
of biology and technology.
在过去的几年中
Over the past couple of years
我建立了一家神经科学公♥司♥
I built a neuroscience company
致力于追求脑部研究的突破
where I'm pursuing breakthrough discoveries in the brain.
布瑞恩·强森投资了1亿美金
Bryan Johnson invested $100 million dollars
给他的神经科学公♥司♥
in his own neuroscience company.
相信探索人类的脑部
With the belief that unlocking our brain
是有史以来最大的机遇
is the most significant opportunity in history.
大家早上好
Morning everyone.
很多当我跟人们讨论未来的时候
A lot of times when I talk to people about the future
他们拿今天所存在的这些
they'll take what exists today and they...
我几乎每天都从早到晚
I basically spend every waking moment
都在试着让大家明白脑部的研究
trying to convince people that working on the brain
是我们作为一个物种来说
is the single most consequential thing
唯一一件至关重要的事情
we could be doing as a species.
今天我想试着说明一下
Today I would like to try and make the case
我为什么认为大脑至关重要
on why I think the brain is important.
现在我们已经有了工具
We now have the tools to make attempts
来尝试做一些突破
at these breakthroughs.
我们是地球上第一代
We're one of the first generations in the world
不能看清过去15-20年的人
that cannot see past 15-20 years
以及作为一个社会 我们是如何开始
and so as a society, how do we become interested
对快速自我认知进化感兴趣
in this radical cognitive evolution?
我在无数的会议上演讲过
I've spoken at countless conferences.
我写过邮件通讯 博客文章
I write an email newsletter, blog posts,
我还写书
I'm writing a book,
因为我对这个论题着迷
because I am consumed with this discussion,
对我们的现状 我们的潜能
our situation, our potential.
幸运的是在神经科学上
Fortunately there are these fascinating developments
已经有很棒的进展了
going on in neuroscience
就是我们的科技
where our technology is enabling possibilities
让我们有了无限的可能
we never had before.
毋庸置疑 这是种
Possibilities that will undoubtedly
改变人类的可能性
transform the human race.
但是那些第一批
But the first humans already walking down
走上这条进化之路的人
this new evolutionary path
却是那些意想不到之人
are not who most people expect.
你好 我是斯坦·夏巴森
Oh hi, It's Stan Shabason speaking.
我打来想确定一下
I'm just calling to confirm Anne's
安今天下午3点的预约是否有变化
appointment this Tuesday at three p.m.
有在诊所帮我
Someone who I was seeing
度过运动障碍难关的人
through the movement disorder clinic
说我应该接受这个
said there's this procedure called Deep Brain Stimulation
叫深度脑部刺♥激♥的方案
that I should be open to.
好的 谢谢你 到时见
Great, thank you very much, we'll see you then.
她尝试了交替治疗
She tried alternative therapies.
不论是理疗法还是整骨疗法
Everything from naturopath, osteopaths,
都没有起作用
nothing seemed to help.
在帕金森患者当中
In Parkinson's disease, the neurons
大脑中产生多巴胺的神经元正在消失
that produce dopamine in your brain are dying.
这会导致颤动 僵化 运动障碍或无法活动
That causes tremor, rigidity, akinesia or inability to move.
所以我们在脑部植入电极
So we implant electrodes inside the brain
来抑制这种
to suppress this abnormal activity
会导致运动系统障碍的脑部活动
that is causing the motor system to shut down.
我们每24小时用1次电击刺♥激♥
And we use electrical stimulation 24 hours a day.
据说这样会减轻她的痛苦
We were told this operation would offer her relief.
不过安对任何新的方案都很谨慎
But Anne's very wary of any kind of dramatic procedure.
病人们都很担心
Patients are worried, you know,
跟现在的方案相比 结果会一样吗
"Will I be the same, coming out, as I was going in?"
有人会切开你的大脑
Someone's cutting into your brain.
你也不知道会发生什么
You don't know what's going to happen.
他们特别担心
There's a tremendous amount of anxiety about
自己的外貌
whether they are going to change in their outlook,
个性 积极性 欲望会不会被改变
in their personality, in their motivation, in their drive.
这种脑部手术
You know, this is brain surgery.
是侵入性的
It's invasive.
是种可怕的想法
It is a scary thought.
他们说我的症状可能会改善
They say my symptoms might improve.
但是切开身体装个东西
But cutting your body open and putting things in your body,
我怕自己承担不了这种风险
I don't think I'm capable of risking that.
瑞士日内瓦市
这种关于在大脑里装入电极
The idea of having electrodes that are in your brain,
来刺♥激♥脑部的想法
that stimulate your brain,
令人担忧
is something that's a concern for people.
生物技术园区
在设计这些电子设备的时候
And it just puts the burden on being extremely careful
要特别小心谨慎
in the design of these electronics.
这里是维斯中心
Here at the Wyss Center...
我们研发了一种可植入科技
...we develop implantable technology
测试结果表明 它非常安全
and test it to show that it's safe,
而且有效
to show that it's effective.
过程非常复杂
It's a very complex process
而且非常昂贵
and it's a very expensive process.
首先 我们必须要开♥发♥脑部电极
First, we have to develop this brain electrode
这是个非常困难的技术挑战
This is a technically very difficult challenge.
我们要避免灰尘 生物污染
We need to avoid dust, biological contamination,
首席技术官 维斯中心
离子污染
ionic contamination.
所以这种电极由特殊材料构成
And so this electrode consists of very special material.
我们接触的是人体内非常敏感的部位
We are touching a very sensitive part of the human body
所以不能乱来
so we can not fool around.
由于有电的东西都会发热
Anything that's powered gets warm,
所以我们用热成像
so we use thermal imaging to understand
来观察它会变得多热
how hot does it get
以及哪个部分会发热
and where does it get hot.
下一步就是一个非常复杂的手术流程
The next step is an extremely complicated surgical procedure
我们要通过
We need to pass the barrier of the scalp,
颅骨上头皮的屏障
of the skull.
把电极植入或植上脑部
And implant the electrode into or onto the brain.
一旦植入后 电极会捕获
Once inside, these electrodes can pick up
神经元之间的微弱电脉冲
the tiny electrical impulses of the neurons
然后将它转换成我们可以理解的信♥号♥♥
and convert them into a signal we can understand
就像数字码一样
like a digital code.
这是个非常非常非常复杂的代码
It's a messy messy messy code.
虽然有1万亿个神经元
There's a hundred billion neurons.
但是一旦你拥有了脑部数据
But once you're getting data out of the brain,
你就会拥有数字信息
you have digital information.
有了数字信息之后
You can do with it anything you can do
就可以大展拳脚了
with digital information.
这个叫做脑机接口
It's called the brain computer interface.
脑机接口
Brain computer interfaces
让我们有能力弄懂大脑
give us the ability to understand the brain,
搞清楚它的电子信♥号♥♥
to understand its electrical signals
来代替它缺失的功能
in order to replace lost function.
这是大脑科学有史以来
Brain science for the first time
在机器的层面上
is showing us how we can understand ourselves
让我们可以了解自己
at the level of the machine.
你能够在脑机接口方面提供的帮助
The spectrum of areas where you can help in brain-computer interfaces
非常广泛
is really tremendous.
我们可以解决精神疾病吗
Could we solve mental illness?
可以治好病人吗
Cure people who are sick?
可以让盲人复明吗
Could we give sight to the blind,
或者让聋人复聪吗
restore hearing to the deaf?
我们可以恢复人类独有的能力吗
Could we restore our unique human capabilities?
就是那些已经消失了的能力
The capabilities that have been taken away?
当医生跟我说起的时候
When my doctor told me about it,
他说 我们有一个研究项目
he said, "We have a research project
有一点科幻
and it's a little Star Treky"
我精神一振 说
And I perked up and said,
那一定很有趣吧
电影精选列表