And a burden just in the world.
我最害怕的
One of the Parkinson's symptoms
帕金森的一个症状
that I was always afraid of
就是不能笑
was that you couldn't smile
而且笑的时候非常僵硬
and you smiled you had a stony expression.
很难跟大家交流
It's hard to connect with people.
想和以前一样跟人相处
I'm just way too exhausted and way too disorganized mentally
让我感到心有余而力不足
to be with people the way I used to.
这种疾病
This illness, you know,
除了接受别无他法
all you can do is accept it.
没有比看着你爱的人慢慢失去人性
There's nothing more dehumanizing
更不人道的事情了
than watching someone you love slowly lose their humanhood
然后再看现在神经科学的情况
and yet if you look at the state of neuroscience right now,
依然还有很长的路要走
we still have an incredibly long way to go.
脑部对我们而言就像一个未知的盒子
The brain has always been a black box to us.
曾经 我们对它的工作方式
In the past, we've had rudimentary ideas
有一些初步的设想
of how it works.
我们知道有一些回路是控制视觉
We know that there are circuits that control your vision,
记忆和行动的
your memory, your movement.
但我们还是不知道原理
But we still don't know the code.
不知道内部的联♥系♥
We don't know the internal language.
因为脑部是我们所遇到过的
That's because the brain is the most complicated object
最复杂的的物体
we've ever encountered in nature.
你想想
You know, think about it
我们每个人的脑袋里
we have in each human brain,
大概有1000亿个神经元
roughly a hundred billion neurons.
1000亿是以前估计的
100 billion was the old estimate
宇宙中星系的数量
of the number of galaxies in the universe.
每个神经元都跟
Each neuron is as complicated
洛杉矶的复杂程度一样
as the city of Los Angeles.
一根神经元跟周围约1万根神经元相连
It's connecting to about 10,000 of its neighbors
所以大概有500万亿条连接
so you have, 500 trillion connections.
这些神经元们还互相交流
And these neurons they communicate with each other.
相互发出电子信♥号♥♥
And they're firing electrical signals to each other
就像我们电脑里发出0和1的
the same way our computers fire zeros and ones
代码一样
inside of themselves.
设想神经元以我们都无法了解的速度
To think about those individual neurons firing,
特雷西博士 WYSS中心
去发出信♥号♥♥
at a speed that we can't even understand yet,
这简直不敢相信
it's mind-boggling.
虽然难以置信 但这就是我们的脑部
It's so unbelievably complicated and yet somehow it is us.
神经元发出的这些电子信♥号♥♥
The electrical firing of these little neurons
决定了我们
is who you are.
它在说什么
What is it saying?
交流什么
What is it communicating?
加拿大 多伦多市
吉姆喝了一口 把酒还给了麦科伊
Jim drinks and hands the flask back to McCoy.
航♥天♥飞机从无数的烟囱
The shuttle rises among the mass of pipes
和船坞围栏中间
and fence in the shipyard
直冲云霄
and arcs up into the sky.
我有先天的生理缺陷
I was born with a condition
但是从一开始没有发现
that didn't surface until later in life.
一切都是白色的
Everything's white.
空无一物
It's blank.
就像看书一样
It's like having a book, you know?
你看到一页有字
You've got a written page
一页空白
and then you've got a blank page.
而我就像看着那空白的一页一样
So I'm looking at a blank page.
我是史蒂芬
我一个人住
I live on my own.
养了只猫
I have a cat.
过来 安吉
Come on, Angie.
这是只二手猫
It's a second-hand cat.
吃饭了
Treat time.
哇 看呀
Oh, look at that.
她本来叫安吉尔
Her name originally was Angel.
我说 不不 她不是安吉尔
And I said, "Nah, she's not an angel,"
所以我叫她安吉
so I gave her Angie.
她现在躲着呢
Yeah, she's hiding somewhere.
当我失明的时候
When I lost my vision,
感觉就像全世界崩塌了一样
it's like the whole world collapsed.
可能其中最难的就是
And probably one of the most difficult thing to do
找人帮忙
is to ask for help.
丹妮斯 你想喝咖啡吗
You want a coffee, Denise?
好 谢谢
Yeah, that'd be great.
深烘的如何
Is Dark Roast fine?
好的 不错
That's good, sounds good.
因为我只有这种了
Good, cause that's all I got.
只要是咖啡就行
As long as it's coffee.
看看还有什么别的
Okay let's see what else we have here.
有时候我们跟兄妹一样地争吵
We fight like brothers and sisters do.
但后来我们变得越来越亲近了
But in the last couple years we've got very very close.
丹妮斯 那是面包机
Oh, that's a toaster Denise.
我分神了
Yeah I got distracted.
他也处过一些对象
He's had relationships, he's had girlfriends.
但是这么多年来
But through the years he just sort of
他还是有点远离大家
pushed everybody away.
你说明天几点来着
What time did you tell me tomorrow?
11点
11?
交谈真的很不方便
It's really very difficult to have a conversation.
因为看不到他们 看不到表情
Because you can't see them, you can't see their expression.
只能听他们的语调
You can only go by the tone of voice.
上次史蒂芬看到我
The last time Stephen saw me was probably
大概是一年半到2年以前了
a year and a half to two years ago.
真的很难受
That's been a really sad thing.
-小心点 -我以为
- Oops, careful. - I thought you're
你要拿着呢
gonna grab it.
-我拿到了 -谢谢
- Oop, I got it. - Okay, thanks.
-我没你那么快 -你得快一点
- I'm not as quick as you are. - You gotta be quick.
我知道
I know.
我非常依赖她
I pretty well depend on her 100%
全心全意的精神支持和帮助
for emotional support and as an intervener.
还有帮我查看信件
And also to check my mail.
我们非常恩爱
We love each other very much.
下午4:06
4:06 p.m.
不过我还是非常怀念独居的时候
But I just miss being independent.
全球大约有10亿人
An estimated one billion people around the world
在饱受着脑部障碍的摧残
that suffer from some sort of brain disorder.
这个国家每66秒
Every 66 seconds a new brain
就有一个人患上艾兹海默症
in this country develops Alzheimer's.
如果没有突破性进展的话
加州洛杉矶市
Without a breakthrough right now
痴呆率每20年会翻倍一次
the dementia rate will double every 20 years.
约有4380万的美国成年人
An Estimated 43.8 million American adults
患有精神病
dealt with a mental illness
他们中约有1000万
and an estimated 10 million of them suffer
患有严重的精神病
from a serious mental illness.
我感觉每个人在某种程度上
I think everybody has personal experience to some degree
都有一定的抑郁 焦虑 帕金森或者艾兹海默
with depression or anxiety, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's.
不论是哪种问题
Whatever the condition is,
对于个人以及爱他们的人来说都是灾难性的
it's devastating to that person, to their loved ones,
对社会也是
and to society.
我经历了10年的慢性抑郁
I experienced a decade of chronic depression
我明白那种深深的绝望感
and I know what it's like to feel hopelessness at a depth.
没有什么比关心一个脑部受损的人更重要了
Nothing is more important than addressing a broken brain.
对我而言 在这个世界上
To me, it's the most important conversation
这样的对话是最重要的
in the entire world.
今天我们有真正的治疗方案了
We have a real treat for you today,
有个大企业家…
a great entrepreneur...
加州旧金山市
今天的嘉宾是一位
Today's guest is the modern American
白手起家的人
rags to riches story,
他从0开始的
he started with nothing.
电影精选列表