was making sure that our evidence was going to be admitted.
确保我们的证据被接受
Charlie Green, who was the evidence tech at the time,
查理·格林,他是当时的取证技术人员
was no longer alive.
已经不在人世了
The coroner himself was no longer alive.
验尸官已经死了
We'd lost several other detectives.
我们失去了其他几个警探
We have to find a different way
我们得想别的办法
to have that evidence admitted at trial.
让证据在庭审中被采纳
So, we had lead detectives who were present on scene.
因此,我们派了几个当时在现场的探长
When I got a phone call from the District Attorney's office,
当我接到地方检察官办公室的电♥话♥时
I was filming episodes of American Detective at the time.
那时我正在拍摄《美国侦探》的剧集
And I told my producer, I said, "Well, that's pretty interesting.
我告诉我的制片人,我说,“嗯,这挺有意思”
We're here talking about somebody's else's case."
“我们正在这里讨论别人的案子”
My mind just rolled up.
我的思绪开始运转
I'm going back to court.
我要回去上庭了
And when I testified in the trial for Michael David Whyte in June 2021...
2021年6月,当我在迈克尔·大卫·怀特的庭审中作证...
I looked at him as I walked by the defendant's table.
我走过被告席时看了他一眼
And I thought, "I've been looking for you for a long time.
我就想,“我找了你很久”
And here you are."
“你在这儿了”
When I walked into that courtroom,
当我走进法庭
because of my current notoriety,
因为我的臭名气
「乔·肯达警督」
you could hear a pin drop.
你能听到针掉在地上的声音
Every head in the jury box is looking at me.
陪审团的每个人都看着我
Every head in the gallery is looking at me.
旁听席的每个人看着我
The only one not looking at me was Michael Whyte.
唯一不看我的是迈克尔·怀特
He was looking straight ahead.
他正目视前方
My nerves, really, rested with the victim's family.
受害者的家庭支撑了我的勇气
「本·霍斯泰特,埃尔帕索县副检察官」
Paul and Betty had been struggling with unanswered questions, uh, for 30-plus years.
30多年来,保罗和贝蒂一直在为未解答的问题挣扎
I think there was some concern there what was gonna happen
我想有人担心会发生什么
「保罗·克拉肖克,达琳的父亲」
when I first laid eyes on him.
当我第一次看到他时
And we did lock eyes.
我们确实对视了
And he knew exactly who we were.
他很清楚我们是谁
制片人:见到迈克尔·怀特是什么感觉?
Hmm.
嗯哼
「贝蒂·克拉肖克,达琳的母亲」
Really...
真的...
Nothing. I don't feel anything for him.
没什么,我对他没有任何感觉
I don't.
我没有
制片人:你和他有过眼神交流吗?
Oh, yeah. Oh, yes, indeed.
哦,是的,的确如此
Yes, I did.
是的,我有过
制片人:你在想什么?
Mmm. I don't wanna say.
嗯,我不想说
I went and took the stand and explained,
我站在证人席上阐述说
at the time this crime occurred,
在这起犯罪发生时
I was a sergeant and supervisor in Homicide.
我曾是凶杀案的警长和主管
Joe's primary role in all of this
乔在这件事中的主要角色
was to help paint the jury a picture
是为了让陪审团明白
「乔·伊登,埃尔帕索县副检察官」
of what detective work looked like back at the time.
当时的侦探工作是什么样子的
Joe testified that DNA was in its infancy,
乔作证说,DNA还处于起步阶段
and they didn't know exactly what it was.
他们并不知道它到底是什么
They just knew that there was a chance that this futuristic technology
他们只知道那是个机会,这项未来技术
might one day exist, and they wanted to be careful
也许有一天会存在,他们得保持谨慎
in the event that they would be able to use that information.
那样的话他们能够用得上这些信息
We then proceeded to discuss the tagging and marking of evidence.
然后我们开始讨论证据的分类和标注问题
How and where it was recovered, and by whom.
是怎么找到的,在哪里找到的,是谁找到的
And by what method was it marked and eventually restored.
它是用什么方法标记并最终恢复的
He was able to illustrate for the jury
他向陪审团展示了
the level of care Charlie Green was notorious for.
查理·格林人所共知的谨慎程度
Charlie Green wasn't somebody
查理·格林不是那种
who was known for making mistakes or cutting corners.
以犯错误或投机取巧而闻名的人
I had no difficulty testifying to this,
我毫不费力地证明了这一点
because I was confident we had done the right thing,
因为我确信我们做了正确的事情
because we always do the right thing.
我们总是做正确的事情
And following that testimony, I was excused.
听完证词后,我被允许离开了
And we got some pushback from the judge.
我们也遭到过法官的驳回
I think Ben and I lost years of our lives
我想,本和我用了多年的时间
wondering what that ruling was going to be.
想知道裁决结果会是什么
There was a lot of stress going into that bench conference.
参加那次庭前会议的压力很大
While the judge was considering that, it was eerie quiet.
当法官考虑这个问题的时候,安静得可怕
If the judge had ruled that those items of evidence
如果法官裁定将这些证据
would have been excluded from the trial,
排除在审判之外
that would have been the end of the trial.
那审判就结束了
And when he admitted that first item of evidence,
当他认可第一项证据时
I took my first relaxed breath.
我第一次松了口气
I think we were pretty certain that Michael Whyte would take the stand,
我想我们很确定迈克尔·怀特会表明立场
just because there's an arrogance about him.
只是因为他的傲慢
And when he took the stand, he was adamant
当他表明立场时,他态度坚决
that he didn't remember Darlene Krashoc.
他不记得达琳·克拉肖克
I found that hard to believe because this case was all over the media in 1987.
我觉得难以置信,因为这个案子在1987年被媒体报道得沸沸扬扬
He testified on the stand, "I did not kill Darlene Krashoc."
他在证人席作证,“我没有杀达琳·克拉肖克”
He didn't know anything about it. And I thought,
他对此一无所知,我想,
"Really? Fort Carson, and you didn't hear?
“真的吗?卡森堡,你没听说吗?
Mmm. No."
“嗯,不”
Michael Whyte's statement to his attorney, essentially, was,
迈克尔·怀特对他律师的陈述基本上是
that it's possible he could have come in contact with her,
他可能和她有过接触
and that he would have sexual encounters
会发生性关系
sometimes in the bathroom of the bar,
有时在酒吧的洗手间
sometimes in his car.
有时在他的车里
Their theory was that this DNA had all gotten on Darlene
他们的说法是,DNA是达琳身上采集的
through transferred DNA.
通过转移的DNA
But that evidence came in the form of the clothes hanger
但证据是以衣架的形式出现
that was wrapped around her neck and mouth,
衣架缠绕在她脖子和嘴上
and fashioned like a horse bridle.
形状像马的缰绳
The cigarette buds, obviously, that were found at the scene of the crime.
显然,在犯罪现场发现的烟蒂
Certainly, there's no good answer for Michael Whyte on the cigarette butts.
当然,迈克尔·怀特在烟头问题没办法说清楚
The defense tried to argue that this was transfer DNA.
辩方试图辩称这是转移DNA
That theory is debunked when you combine that
他们的说法被驳斥了,当你把这些说法和
with the three cigarette buds that are found next to her body
尸体旁边发现的三个烟头结合起来
Because the person who randomly decided to rape and kill her,
因为那个随机决定强♥奸♥并杀害她的人
without leaving any of their own DNA,
没有留下任何自己的DNA
wouldn't have had Michael Whyte's three cigarette buds from that night.
不会有迈克尔·怀特那晚的三个烟蒂
In 1987, nobody knew what the hell DNA was.
1987年,没有人知道DNA到底是什么
So there was no way that they could make that argument
所以他们不可能提出这样的理由
that somebody was trying to frame him by placing his cigarette buds at the scene of the crime,
有人试图把他的烟头放在犯罪现场陷害他
because they would have had no way of knowing that DNA was even a technology
因为他们根本无法知道DNA
that the police could have investigated at that time.
是警方当时可以调查的一项技术
In a case like this, obviously, one of our biggest hurdles
在这样的情况下,很明显,我们最大的障碍之一
is that we don't know exactly how this all went down.
是我们不知道这一切到底是怎么发生的
Because this investigation has been completed,
因为这次调查已经结束了
we are now in a position to say
我们现在可以说
on the 17th of March, 1987, St. Patrick's Day,
1987年3月17日,圣帕特里克节
Darlene decides, "I'm going out tonight to Shuffles with two friends."
达琳决定,“我今晚要和两个朋友去舒弗勒”
We can say, with some degree of certainty...
我们可以肯定地说...
that when Mr. Whyte sees her, he dances with her.
当怀特先生看到她时,他会和她跳舞
Lord is a guy that remembers things.
洛德是个记性很好的人
And he sees the picture of Michael Whyte, and he identifies him.
他看到了迈克尔·怀特的照片,认出了他
"That's the guy with the beady eyes." Instantly.
“就是那个长着珠子眼的家伙”立马
I'm sure. 100%. That's him.
我确定,百分之百是他
Later, she doesn't have two men with her, she's alone.
后来,她没和两个朋友一起,她独自一人
He either convinced her he would give her a ride,
他要么说服她他会载她一程
or asked her for another drink.
或者请她再喝一杯
Who knows? We don't know.
谁知道呢?我们不知道
But she probably willingly went with him.
但她可能很乐意和他一起去
And then, somewhere along that line, something went very wrong.
然后,沿途的某处,出了很大的问题
Michael Whyte said during interrogation,
迈克尔·怀特在审讯中说
"She looks just like my ex-wife."
“她看起来就像我的前妻”
Was that his attraction to her?
那是他对她的吸引力吗?
Was that the foundation of his rage towards her?
这就是他对她震怒的原因吗?
You can say that, you can't prove it.
你可以那样讲,但你无法证明
But it does make you wonder.
电影精选列表