他让我陈述我对德雷德·斯科特一案判决的看法,我毫不含糊地回答他,我接受最高法♥院♥的判决
He asks me to state my opinion of the Dred Scott decision, and I answer him unequivocally by saying, I take the decisions of the Supreme Court
成为这片土地的法律,而我也打算服从它们。
to be the law of the land, and I intend to obey them as such.
我也不会因为那些鼓吹种族平等的狂热分子的咆哮而动摇我的立场,他们会要求我们和黑人一起投票、吃饭、睡觉和结婚。
Nor will I be swayed from that position by all the ranting of all the fanatics who preach racial equality, who would ask us to vote, eat, sleep and marry with Negroes.
我还要说,让每个州都管好自己的事,不要干涉邻国。
And I say further, let each State mind its own business and leave its neighbors alone.
如果我们坚持这一原则,那么林肯先生会发现这个伟大的共和国可以永远存在,分为自♥由♥州和奴隶制州,我们可以继续我们所做的,
If we'll stand on that principle, then Mr. Lincoln will find that this great republic can exist forever divided into free and slave states, and we can go on as we have done,
财富、人口和权力不断增长,直到我们成为世界的仰慕和恐怖。
increasing in wealth, in population, in power, until we shall become the admiration and the terror of the world.
听他们叫喊,那些没有头脑的白♥痴♥,喊着空洞的话。
Listen to them yell, the empty-headed idiots, yelling at empty words.
他不知道自己在说什么。他从来没有。
He doesn't know what he's talking about. He never did.
你把酒搅乱了。
You're upsetting your drink.
亚伯拉罕·林肯先生。
Mr. Abraham Lincoln.
去找他,亚伯!
Go get him, Abe!
道格拉斯法官用匕♥首♥赞扬了我的技术。
Judge Douglas has paid tribute to my skill with a dagger.
我为此感谢他,但我必须承认,他用那件武器比我能干得多。
I thank him for that, but I must admit that he can do more with that weapon than I can.
他能让十把匕♥首♥同时在空中闪动。
He can keep ten daggers flashing in the air at the same time.
幸运的是,他非常擅长,没有一把刀掉下来伤到任何人。
Fortunately, he's so good at it that none of the knives ever falls and hurts anyone.
现在你已经听到法官暗指那些主张选举、吃饭、结婚和和黑人上♥床♥的人。
Now you've heard the judge make allusion to those who advocate voting and eating and marrying and sleeping with Negroes.
他是否特指我,我不知道。
Whether he meant me specifically, I do not know.
如果他这样做了,我只能说,因为我不想让一个有色人种的女人做奴隶,我也不一定想让她做我的妻子。
If he did, I can only say that just because I do not want a colored woman for a slave, I do not necessarily want her for a wife.
我也不需要她。我可以让她一个人待着。
I do not need to have her for either. I can just leave her alone.
在某些方面,她肯定与我不平等,就像我在某些方面与法官不平等一样。
In some respects, she is certainly not my equal any more than I am the judge's equal in some respects.
但是,就她吃自己亲手挣来的面包的自然权利而言,她和我是平等的,和所有其他人都是平等的。
But in her natural right to eat the bread she earns with her own hands without asking leave of somebody else, she is my equal and the equal of all others.
现在你已经听到法官讲了我们自己的劳动条件。
Now you've heard the judge speak about our own labor condition.
作为一个美国人,我不能为这种情况的存在感到骄傲。
As an American, I cannot be proud that such conditions exist.
但作为一个美国人,我可以问,北方的罢♥工♥工人会选择与南方的奴隶交换地位吗?
But as an American I can ask, would any of the striking workers in the North elect to change places with the slaves in the South?
难道他们不会说,补救办法掌握在我们手中吗?
Will they not rather say the remedy is in our hands?
作为一个美国人,我可以说,感谢上帝,我们生活在一个人们有权罢♥工♥的制度下。
And still as an American I can say, thank God we live under a system by which men have the right to strike.
正确的。
Right.
这是正确的。
That's right.
我不是在鼓吹反叛。
I am not preaching rebellion.
我不需要。
I don't have to.
这个国家及其制度属于居住在其中的人♥民♥。
This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it.
当他们对现有政♥府♥感到厌倦时,他们可以行使宪法权利来修改它,或者行使革命权利来肢解或推♥翻♥它。
Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it.
如果说开国元勋们给了我们什么,那就是这个。
If the founding fathers gave us anything, they gave us that.
德雷德·斯科特一案的目的是让联邦各州的黑人拥有财产,而且除了财产之外别无其他。
The purpose of the Dred Scott decision is to make property, and nothing but property, of the Negro in all States of the Union.
这是人♥权♥与财产权的老问题。
It is the old issue of human rights versus property rights.
这是两个原则之间的永恒斗争,一个是人类的共同权利,另一个是国王的神圣权利。
It is the eternal struggle between two principles, the one, the common right of humanity, the other, the divine right of kings.
这是同一种精神,它说:“你辛劳工作,挣得面包,我来吃。”
It is the same spirit which says, "You toil and work and earn bread and I'll eat it."
作为一个国家,我们首先宣布:“人人生而平等。”
As a nation, we began by declaring, "All men are created equal.”
《独♥立♥宣言》中没有提到这条规则有任何例外,但我们现在实际上读到的是:“除了黑人,人人生而平等。”
There was no mention of any exception to that rule in the Declaration of Independence, but we now practically read it, "All men are created equal except Negroes."
如果我们接受这种种族或阶级歧视的学说,又有什么能阻止我们在将来颁布这样的法令:除了黑人、外国人、
If we are to accept this doctrine of race or class discrimination, what is to stop us in future from decreeing, all men are created equal except Negroes, foreigners,
天主教♥徒♥、犹太人还是穷♥人♥?
Catholics, Jews or just poor people?
这就是主张奴隶制的人驱使我们得出的结论。
That is the conclusion towards which the advocates of slavery are driving us.
道格拉斯法官说:“让各州管好自己的事吧。”
"Let each state mind its own business," says Judge Douglas.
“为什么要惹事生非?”
"Why stir up trouble?"
这是一种对邪恶漠不关心的自满政策,我不得不憎恨这种政策。
This is the complacent policy of indifference to evil, and that policy I cannot but hate.
我讨厌它是因为奴隶制本身的巨大的不公正。
I hate it because of the monstrous injustice of slavery itself.
我讨厌它,因为它剥夺了我们共和国在世界上的正当影响力,使各地自♥由♥制度的敌人能够嘲笑我们是伪君子,
I hate it because it deprives our republic of its just influence in the world, enables the enemies of free institutions everywhere to taunt us as hypocrites,
使自♥由♥的真正朋友怀疑我们的诚意,特别是因为它迫使我们中间这么多的好人与公民自♥由♥的基本原则进行公开的战争,
causes the real friends of freedom to doubt our sincerity, and especially because it forces so many good men among ourselves into an open war with the very fundamentals of civil liberty,
否认《独♥立♥宣言》的诚信,坚持认为除了自身利益,没有正确的行动原则。
denying the good faith of the Declaration of Independence and insisting that there is no right principle of action but self-interest.
在今晚的最后一句话中,法官说我们可以成为世界的恐怖。
In his final words tonight, the judge said that we can be the terror of the world.
我觉得我们不想变成那样。
I don't think we want to be that.
我想我们更愿意成为世人的鼓舞,证明人类最终配得自♥由♥。
I think we would prefer to be the encouragement of the world, the proof that at last man is worthy to be free.
但是,除非我们能够确立我们作为一个国家生存和发展的能力,否则我们不会提供这种鼓励,而如果这些州不能保持团结,我们肯定也不会这样做。
But we shall provide no such encouragement unless we can establish our ability as a nation to live and grow, and we shall surely do neither if these states fail to remain united.
在自♥由♥的定义中,不能有一个部分和另一个部分,一个阶级和另一个阶级,一个种族和另一个种族之间的区别。
There can be no distinction in the definition of liberty as between one section and another, one class and another, one race and another.
一个内部分♥裂♥的家是站立不住的。
A house divided against itself cannot stand.
这个政♥府♥不能永远忍♥受半奴隶半自♥由♥的状态。
This government cannot endure permanently half slave and half free.
"这个政♥府♥不能永远忍♥受半奴隶半自♥由♥"
"This government cannot endure permanently half slave and half free."
这是你明天社论的证据,格里利先生。
Here's the proof of your editorial for tomorrow, Mr. Greeley.
取消它。我打算再写一个,关于一个叫林肯的人。
Scrap it. I'm going to write another one, about a man named Lincoln.
林肯吗?从没听说过他。
Lincoln? Never heard of him.
你会的。
You will.
先生们,请!
Gentlemen, please!
先生们,我求求你们,一次一个。
Gentlemen, I beg of you, one at a time.
如果苏厄德被提名,他会想要解放所有的奴隶。
If Seward's nominated, he'll want to emancipate all the slaves.
那将是联邦的终结。
That'll be the end of the Union.
我告诉你们,道格拉斯会拿下南部和西部。
I tell you that Douglas will carry the South and the West.
我们必须确保拿下纽约,否则我们就输了。苏厄德永远不会得到我的选票。
We've got to be sure of New York or we lose... Seward will never get my vote.
先生们,如果你们控制不住自己的脾气,我们永远不会达成一致。
Gentlemen, if you can't contain your tempers, we'll never agree.
我们永远不会就任何一个主要候选人达成一致。这是显而易见的。
We'll never agree on any of the leading candidates. That's obvious.
我们在这场比赛中需要的是一匹黑♥马♥。
What we need in this race is a dark horse.
-是的,他叫什么名字?——林肯。
- Yes, and what's his name? - Lincoln.
也许你不知道,在阿勒格尼山脉以西有一个很大的国家,那里有很多新的州,比如俄勒冈州、明尼苏达州、加利福尼亚州,你似乎从来没有听说过。
Maybe you don't know it, but there's a big country out west of the Alleghenies, with a lot of new states named Oregon, Minnesota, California, that you seem never to have heard of.
林肯在那里很受欢迎,如果我们处理得当,他在东部也会很受欢迎。
Lincoln's popular out there, and if we handle him right, we can make him popular back here in the East.
不管怎样,我请你们仔细检查一下。
Anyway, I ask you gentlemen to look him over.
你认识他吗,克里明?
Do you know him, Crimmin?
我听过他和道格拉斯的辩论,我可以告诉你一件事,他是我见过的票数最多的人。
I heard him debate with Douglas, and I can tell you one thing, he's a vote-getter if I ever saw one.
他们安全抵达俄勒冈州。
They got safely to Oregon.
你和印第安人打过仗吗,爸爸?
Did you ever fight the Indians, Pa?
不完全是。我差点就参战了,但我跟我的人走丢了。
Not exactly. I was almost in a battle, but I got lost from my men.
你害怕吗?
Were you scared?
孩子,这就引出了一个争论点。
That, my boy, brings up a point of argument.
当我回到营地时,上校问我是否逃跑了。
When I got back to the camp, the Colonel asked me if I'd run away.
我说:“没有,先生,但如果有人问我要去哪里,我说我要去找医生,他们会认为有人病得很重。”
I said, "No, sir, but if anybody had asked me where I was going, and I'd said I was going for the doctor, they'd have figured someone was almighty sick."
-罗伯特,你又抽烟了。-是的,妈妈。
- Robert, you've been smoking again. - Yes, Mother.
我已经告诉过你,我不能容忍♥在我的客厅或我房♥子的任何地方吸烟。
I've told you that I will not tolerate tobacco smoke in my sitting room or indeed in any part of my house.
来吧,来吧,玛丽。
Come, come, Mary.
你不能对一个哈佛人不敬。
You mustn't be disrespectful to a Harvard man.
-在柴棚里发泄吧。-是的,父亲。
- Take it out in the woodshed. - Yes, Father.
孩子们,快上楼去。准备吃晚饭。
You children, run upstairs. Get ready for your supper.
-哦,妈…-按你妈妈说的做,儿子。
- Oh, Ma... - Do as your mother tells you, son.
-你好,史毕德先生!-你好,威利。你好,泰德。
- Hello, Mr. Speed! - Hello, Willie. Hello, Tad.
亚伯,那个代表团一小时前就到了。
Say, Abe, that delegation arrived in town an hour ago.
-他们应该马上就到。-什么代表团?
- They ought to be here any minute. - What delegation?
哦,一些著名的政♥治♥家和部长,一些银行家,诸如此类的人。
Oh, some prominent politicians and ministers, several bankers, that kind of people.
-他们来干什么?-我不太清楚,但我猜是为了看看我是否适合成为美国总统候选人。
- What are they coming here for? - I don't precisely know, but I presume it's to see if I'm fit to be a candidate for President of the United States.
我猜他们想知道我们是不是住在小木屋里,是不是在床底下养猪。
Guess they want to find out if we live in a log cabin and keep pigs under the bed.
-你没告诉我?-对不起,玛丽。我忘了。
- And you didn't tell me? - I'm sorry, Mary. It slipped my mind.
你是总统候选人之一,但你忘记了。
You're being considered for the presidency, but it just slipped your mind.
要是我早知道,要是你给我时间准备就好了。
Oh, if I'd only known, if you'd only given me time to prepare for them.
现在他们会看到我们本来的样子,粗鲁邋遢的西方野蛮人住在一间散发着难闻烟草味和你肮脏的旧地毯拖鞋的房♥子里。
Now they'll see us as we are, crude, sloppy Western barbarians living In a house that reeks of foul tobacco smoke and your filthy old carpet slippers.
我说,亚伯拉罕·林肯,我相信如果我是你的奴隶而不是你的妻子你会对我更体贴一些。
I declare, Abraham Lincoln, I believe you'd have treated me with more consideration if I'd been your slave rather than your wife.
马上去,穿双像样的靴子。
Go this minute and put some decent boots on.
是的,玛丽。
Yes, Mary.
我知道,约书亚。
I know, Joshua.
你和其他人一样,认为我是一个刻薄、唠叨的女人,我试图扼杀他的灵魂,把他拉到我的水平。
You think, just as all the others do, I'm a bitter, nagging woman, that I've tried to kill his spirit and drag him down to my level.
不,玛丽,我不这么想。
No, Mary, I think nothing of the kind.
记住,我也认识亚伯。
Remember, I know Abe too.
他总是对未来的厄运有某种执念。
He's always had some obsession of some future doom.
18年来,我一直在试着让他离开,但我所有的努力都像无数的海浪冲击着岁月的岩石。
And for 18 years, I've been trying and trying to stir him out of it, but all my efforts have been like so many waves dashing against the rock of ages.
现在最好的机会来了,就在这里,就在他自己的家里。
And now the greatest opportunity is coming to him, here, right into his own house.
他必须接受。
He must take it.
他必须明白这是他命中注定要做的。
He must see that this is what he was meant to be.
但我无法说服他。
But I can't persuade him of it.
我以为我能把他塑造成我认为他应该成为的样子,但我什么也没成功,只让我自己崩溃了。
I thought that I could help to shape him as I knew he should be, and I've succeeded in nothing but in breaking myself.
-林肯先生?-我已经穿上靴子了,玛丽。
- Mr. Lincoln? - I've got my boots on, Mary.
你可以在这里接待他们,我在给他们准备点心。
You can receive them in here while I try to prepare some refreshments for them.
你好,克里明先生。很高兴再次见到你。
How do you do, Mr. Crimmin? Glad to see you again.
谢谢你,林肯先生。
Thank you, Mr. Lincoln.
先生们,请进客厅好吗?
Will you step into the parlor, gentlemen?
-林肯先生。-请进,乔什。
- Mr. Lincoln. - Come on in, Josh.
哦,不。你得自己面对这一切,亚伯。祝你好运。
Oh, no. You've got to face this out by yourself, Abe. Good luck.
他们的目标是让安倍成为总统,这是真的吗?
Is it true that they're aiming to make Abe President?
我跟你说过多少次了把你的主人叫做林肯先生?
How many times have I told you to speak of your master as Mr. Lincoln?
他不是我的主人,也不是你的主人。
He ain't my master any more than he is yours.
再说,我从亚伯拉罕·林肯穿补丁裤的时候就认识他了。
Besides, I've known Abe Lincoln ever since he wore pants that weren't nothing but patches.
水壶开了,林肯夫人。
Kettle's boiling, Mrs. Lincoln.
美国总统。
President of the United States.
如果他们把他带回华盛顿,他就不可能活着出来了。
If they get him back there into Washington, he won't never come out alive.
我不愿提及如此微妙的事情,林肯先生。
I hesitate to mention such a delicate matter, Mr. Lincoln.
请不要犹豫,巴雷特医生。
Please don't hesitate, Dr. Barrett.
电影精选列表