你不是失败者,亚伯。
You haven't been a failure, Abe.
这个社区里没有一个人不喜欢你,不渴望看到你出人头地。
There's not a manjack in this community that isn't fond of you and anxious to see you get ahead.
我知道,就像您一样,恩师,熬夜给我学习,只是出于您内心的善良。
I know, just like you, Mentor, sitting up late nights to give me learning, just out of the kindness of your heart.
现在格林法官和乔什·斯比德还有其他几个我欠钱的人想让我当邮♥政♥局♥长,他们觉得我也许能胜任,因为一周只有一封邮件。
Now Judge Green and Josh Speed and a few others I owe money to want to get me the job of postmaster, thinking maybe I can handle that, since there's only one mail comes in a week.
好吧,亚伯,总有两种职业对那些在其他方面都失败的人开放。
Well, Abe, there are always two occupations open to those who have failed at everything else.
有学校教学和政♥治♥。
There's school teaching and politics.
我要去学校教书。
I'll take school teaching.
你从政,你可能会当选。
You go into politics, and you may get elected.
然后你就得去城里,我可不想那样。
Then you got to go to the city, and I don't want none of that.
-我不是说过两个否定的吗?-我是说这些。
- What did I say about two negatives? - I meant any of that.
你对城市有什么反对意见,亚伯?
What's your objection to cities, Abe?
你见过吗?
You ever seen one?
确定。我去了下游的新奥尔良。
Sure. I've been downriver to New Orleans.
你知道我在那里的每一分钟都很害怕吗?
Do you know every minute of the time I was there I was scared?
我害怕人。
I was scared of people.
你以为他们会抢走你所有的金子和珠宝吗?
Did you imagine that they'd rob you of all your gold and your jewels?
不。
No.
我害怕他们会杀了我。
I was scared they'd kill me.
为什么?他们为什么要杀你?
Why? Why should they want to kill you?
我不知道。
I don't know.
你真是个自相矛盾的混♥蛋♥,亚伯·林肯。
You're a hopeless mess of inconsistency, Abe Lincoln.
你明白的,对吗,安?
You understand, don't you, Ann?
你要去多久,约翰?
How long will you be gone, John?
哦,两三个月,就这么多。
Oh, two or three months, that's all.
我会想你的……每时每刻。
I'll miss you... every minute of the time.
这是我母亲的。
This was my mother's.
这是我父亲在他们订婚时送给她的。
My father gave it to her when they became engaged.
你要想的一切,我要想的一切,都是我爱你……我们会非常幸福的。
All you must ever think about, all I'll ever think about is that I love you... and we're going to be wonderfully happy.
约翰…再说一遍。
John... tell me that again.
告诉我我们会幸福的。
Tell me we're going to be happy.
嘿,亚伯,你看到这个了吗?
Hey, Abe, have you seen this?
州长在新塞勒姆召集一支志愿者队伍。
The governor's calling for a troop of volunteers right here in New Salem.
你会去的,是吗,亚伯?
You'll be going, won't you, Abe?
我不知道。
I don't know.
在我看来,那些印度人似乎有权拥有自己的土地。
Seems to me as if those Indians had a right to their own land.
是的,但如果我们想在堪萨斯-内布拉斯加州的领土上定居下来,在那里和平地生活,我们就得先和印第安人作战,就像你父亲搬到肯塔基州时所做的那样。
Yes, but if we want to settle in Kansas-Nebraska territory and live in peace out there, we've got to fight the Indians first, just the way your own father did when he moved into Kentucky.
万岁!
Hooray!
怎么了,杰克?
What is it, Jack?
我们都要去打仗了,亚伯,我们选你当队长。
We're all going to war, Abe, and we've elected you captain.
看来他们已经替我做了决定。
Looks as if they've made up my mind for me.
右轮小队,前进!
Squad right wheel, march!
右轮小队,前进!
Squad right wheel, march!
离开了!离开了!左,右,左!
Left! Left! Left, right, left!
他们是亚伯拉罕·林肯上尉的连队,隶属于志愿军骑兵旅第一团。
They're known as Captain Abraham Lincoln's company of the First Regiment of the Brigade of Mounted Volunteers.
是的,骑着马的志愿者。
Yeah, mounted volunteers.
我不愿意做一匹马,让他们中的一个强盗骑着我。
I'd hate to be a horse and have one of them galoots ride me.
前进!
Forward march!
杰克,我忘了最后带他们穿过大门的命令。
Jack, I've forgotten the command that will take them through the gate endwise.
别问我,长官,我只是个中士。
Don't ask me, sir. I'm only a sergeant.
公♥司♥停止!
Company halt!
连队将打破队形,在大门的另一边重新排列。
The company will break ranks and form again on the other side of the gate.
嘿,亚伯,看!
Hey, Abe, look!
有什么事吗,亚伯?
Anything for me, Abe?
是的,赛斯。马里兰州有一封,可能是你父母寄来的。
Yes, Seth. There's one from Maryland, probably from your folks.
-应付28美分。-谢谢,亚伯。
- Twenty eight cents due. - Thanks, Abe.
-我以后再付钱给你。-随时奉陪,赛斯。
- I'll pay you later. - Anytime, Seth.
今天早上拉特利奇家有什么消息吗?
Anything for the Rutledge family this morning?
这是给你♥爸♥爸的,看起来像是酒类广♥告♥。
There's one for your pa, looks like a liquor advertisement.
有一封纽约州寄给你的。
There's one from New York state for you.
他们俩要交34美分。
There's 34 cents due on the two of them.
我没带钱包。
I haven't got my purse with me.
没关系,安小姐。政♥府♥可以等。
That's all right, Miss Ann. The government can wait.
谢谢你,亚伯,非常感谢。
Thank you, Abe, very much.
早上好,安小姐。
Good morning, Miss Ann.
天啊,你一天比一天漂亮了。
My, you're looking prettier every day.
希望是好消息吧?
Good news, I hope?
很好,谢谢。
Very good, thank you.
别让我为一个男人等上两年。
Catch me waiting two years for any man.
对不起,小姐。
I beg your pardon, miss.
你能告诉我约书亚·斯毕德的家怎么走吗?
Can you direct me to the home of Joshua Speed?
就是那栋有牵牛花的房♥子,但我想你会在酒馆里找到他。
It's that house up there with the morning glories, but I think you'll find him at the tavern.
谢谢你,小姐。我非常感激。
Thank you, miss. I'm much obliged.
亚伯,除了我老爸,我觉得你是我见过的最丑的小动物。
Abe, next to my old man, I think you're the homeliest critter I ever saw.
这是有原因的,凯恩斯夫人
There's a reason, Mrs. Cairns.
当我两个月大的时候,我是肯塔基州最漂亮的孩子。
When I was two months old, I was the handsomest child in Kentucky.
我的护士把我换了一个长相平平的。
My nurse swapped me off for another one that was kind of plain looking.
亚伯,他们要你去酒馆一趟。
Hey, Abe, they want you over to the tavern.
谁做?
Who does?
乔什·斯皮德和鲍灵·格林还有一个打扮得漂漂亮亮的春田小伙。
Josh Speed and Bowling Green and one of them dressed-up fellers from Springfield.
-他们想要我怎么样?-我不知道。
- What do they want of me? - I don't know.
但我可以告诉你,我不喜欢它的样子!
But I can tell you this, I don't like the looks of it!
但他是这个地区最受欢迎的人。
But he's the best-liked man in this district.
正是我们要找的人。
The very man we want.
也许这将纠正公众认为辉格党只由特权阶级组成的看法。
Maybe it will correct the public belief that the Whig party is composed only of the more privileged classes.
先生们。
Gentlemen.
安倍,我想让你见见尼尼安·爱德华兹先生,他是我们政党的重要代表。
Abe, I want you to meet Mr. Ninian Edwards, a mighty important representative of our political party.
-很高兴认识你,爱德华兹先生。-林肯,很荣幸见到你。
- Happy to know you, Mr. Edwards. - Lincoln, it's a pleasure.
坐下,亚伯。我们想和你谈谈。
Sit down, Abe. We want to talk to you.
安倍,你想不想竞选州议员?
Abe, how would you like to run for the state legislature?
——什么时候?-现在为秋天的选举做准备。
- When? - Now, for election in the fall.
为什么?
Why?
辉格党需要从这个选区选出一位候选人。
The Whig party needs a candidate from this district.
你是这里的邮♥政♥局♥长,这给了你宝贵的人脉。
You're the postmaster here, which gives you valuable contacts.
在投递邮件的同时,你也可以投递演讲和竞选资料,我们的总部将为你提供这些资料。
While delivering mail, you can also deliver speeches and campaign literature with which our headquarters will keep you supplied.
你能给我提供一套商店里的衣服吗?
Could you supply me with a suit of store clothes?
候选人不能看起来太普通。
A candidate mustn't look too plain.
而且,安倍,在立法机构,你会得到报酬,每天整整三美元。
And what's more, Abe, in the legislature, you'll get paid, three whole dollars a day.
罚款,好吧。不可否认。
Fine money, all right. No denying that.
我知道你在说什么,保龄。
I can see what you're getting at, Bowling.
我欠你一大笔钱。
I owe you a considerable sum.
我不是在想债务,亚伯。
I'm not thinking about the debts, Abe.
我知道你不想,鲍灵,但我必须。
I know you ain't, Bowling, but I got to.
我看得出来,林肯先生,你是那种能对付任何人的人。
I can see, Mr. Lincoln, that you're the type of man who can handle anyone.
嗯。甚至克莱林的男孩们。
Hmm. Even the Clarey's Grove boys.
我能应付他们,因为我能打败他们,但我不能在上加门县到处甩选民。
I can handle them because I can out-rassle them, but I can't go around Sangamon county throwing all the voters.
你想接受教育,对吧,亚伯?
You want to get an education, don't you, Abe?
你的机会来了。
Here's your chance to do it.
在范代利亚,你会和这个州最好的律师打交道。
In Vandalia, you'll be associating with all the finest lawyers in this state.
重要人物,比如斯蒂芬·道格拉斯。你会成长。
Important men, like Stephen A. Douglas. You'll grow.
我以为我已经长得太多了。
Thought I'd growed too much already.
别听他的,亚伯!
Don't listen to him, Abe!
别让他把你牵扯进政♥治♥。
Don't let him get you into politics.
他们会像腐化整个美国一样腐化你。
They'll corrupt you just the same as they've corrupted the whole dang United States.
你是个诚实的人,亚伯·林肯。
You're an honest man, Abe Lincoln.
你是个没用的,债台高筑的游手好闲的人,但你是个诚实的人。
You're a good-for-nothing, debt-ridden loafer, but you're an honest man.
你想说的就这些吗,本叔叔?
Is that all you have to say, Uncle Ben?
就这些,我希望够了。
That's all, and I hope it's enough.
我有点同意他的观点。
I kind of agree with him.
林肯先生,我们不要求你马上回答,但你要好好考虑一下。
Well, Mr. Lincoln, we don't demand your answer immediately, but think it over.
先生们,恕我失陪,我今晚要去参加春田镇的火炬游♥行♥,所以我得走了。
Now, gentlemen, if you'll excuse me, I have to put in an appearance at the torchlight procession in Springfield this evening, so I must be moving along.
试想一下,在一个向南延伸至德克萨斯州,向西延伸至加利福尼亚帝国的国家,开始攀登阶梯意味着什么。
Just consider what it means to be starting up the ladder in a nation which is now expanding southward through Texas and westward to the empire of the Californias.
这是机会,林肯先生。
It's opportunity, Mr. Lincoln.
机会无限。
Opportunity unlimited in scope.
再见,先生。
Goodbye, sir.
再见,爱德华兹先生。祝你旅途愉快。
Goodbye, Mr. Edwards. Pleasant journey to you.
-再见,先生们。——再见。
- Goodbye, gentlemen. - Goodbye.
再见,入球。
Goodbye, Ninian.
安?
Ann?
这是什么?
What is it?
你从纽约州收到的那封信…关于那封信你知道些什么?
That letter you got from New York State... What do you know about that letter?
电影精选列表