非常好,亚伯,很高兴见到你。
Terribly well, Abe, and glad to see you.
很高兴见到你。我是比利·赫恩登。新塞勒姆的格林乡绅。
Glad to see you. This is Billy Herndon. Squire Green from New Salem.
很荣幸认识你,先生,林肯先生经常提起你。
Proud to know you, sir. Mr. Lincoln speaks of you constantly.
谢谢你,赫恩登先生。你也是律师吗?
Thank you, Mr. Herndon. Are you a lawyer too?
希望如此,先生,斯图尔特法官不在时,我是这里的书♥记♥员。
I hope to be, sir. I'm serving here as clerk in Judge Stuart's absence.
-现在你在教别人了,亚伯。-不,只是树立了一个坏榜样。
- So now you're teaching others, Abe. - No, just setting a bad example.
你那可爱的妻子还好吗?
How's that blessed wife of yours?
南希一如既往地忙碌,而且比以往任何时候都更关心你内心深处的希望和渴望。
Nancy's busy as ever, and more than ever concerned about your innermost hopes and yearnings.
你可以告诉她我正在成为一个重要的人。
You can tell her I'm becoming a person of importance.
是的,先生。如果老提珀卡努明年秋天赢了,我就会成为选举人团的一员。
Yes, sir. If old Tippecanoe wins next fall, I'll be a member of the Electoral College.
你就只能做到这一点吗?
Is that the best you can do?
你和比利应该多了解一下。
You and Billy should get better acquainted.
他也很讨厌我。
He's pretty disgusted with me too.
说我没有野心,和不好的人交往。
Says I've no ambition, and I associate with the wrong kind of people.
他不能容忍♥任何守口如瓶、遵守宪法的人。
He can't stand anybody that keeps his mouth shut and abides by the constitution.
如果他为所欲为,整个工会都会被烧起来,我们都会被烧成碎片。对了,比利?
If he had his way, the whole union would be set on fire, and we'd all be burned to a crisp. Right, Billy?
是的,林肯先生。
Yes, Mr. Lincoln.
如果你允许我这么说的话,我认为如果你允许自己也有一些同样的煽动性冲动,你会对你的同胞更有帮助。
And if you'll permit me to say so, I think you'd be of more use to your fellow man if you allowed some of the same incendiary impulses to come out in you.
-你听到了吗,保龄?-你真让我吃惊,亚伯。
- You hear that, Bowling? - I'm surprised at you, Abe.
我以为你反对奴隶制。
I thought you were opposed to slavery.
我反对奴隶制,但我更反对让自己陷入麻烦。
I am opposed to slavery, but I'm even more opposed to getting myself into trouble.
你为什么不竞选国会议员呢,安倍?
Why don't you run for Congress, Abe?
如果我做了,我可能会当选。我会在华盛顿。
If I did, I might get elected. I'd be in Washington.
然后我可能不得不就战争还是和平这个可怕的问题投上我的一票。
Then I might have to cast my vote on the terrible issue of war or peace.
我会采取什么态度?
And what attitude would I take?
当然是自♥由♥主义的态度。
The liberal attitude, of course.
自♥由♥主义的态度是什么?
And what is the liberal attitude?
为了一块土地或一种道德原则而参战,或不惜一切代价避免战争
To go to war for a tract of land or a moral principle, or avoid war at all cost.
不,先生,打保龄。我不是好斗的人。
No, sir, Bowling. I'm no fighting man.
我在经历黑鹰战争时发现了这一点,我很害怕我可能不得不向一个印第安人开一枪。
I found that out when I went through the Black Hawk war, and was terrified I might have to fire a shot at an Indian.
幸运的是,印第安人也有同样的感觉,所以我没有看到他们中的任何一个。
Fortunately, the Indians felt the same way, so I never saw any of them.
打扰一下,保龄。
Excuse me, Bowling.
这就是他的麻烦……女性。
That's his trouble... women.
我得说,这就是自♥由♥主义的态度。
I should say, that's the, um, liberal attitude.
我不能也不会再忍♥受下去了。
I cannot and will not stand it any longer.
所有这些荒谬的流言蜚语必须停止。
All this ridiculous gossip must be silenced.
毕竟,流言蜚语对我们谁都没有坏处,亲爱的。
After all, the gossip does none of us any harm, my dear.
我要你别掺和进来,妮年。这是我和我妹妹之间的事。
I ask you to keep out of this, Ninian. This is between my sister and myself.
不过,年念是对的。
Nevertheless, Ninian is right.
我请求你彻底否认你曾经想过和亚伯拉罕·林肯结婚。
I ask you to deny once and for all that you've ever given one moment of thought to the idea of marriage with Abraham Lincoln.
哦,但是我有。我已经考虑了好几个月了,我决定我要做林肯夫人。
Oh, but I have. I've given many months' thought to it, and I've decided that I shall be Mrs. Lincoln.
玛丽!
Mary!
-你这么震惊吗,伊丽莎白?-为什么?
- Does it shock you so deeply, Elizabeth? - And why not?
嫁给他意味着要住在小木屋里,没有仆人,没有像样的衣服。
Marrying him would mean life in a log cabin, with no servants, no decent clothes.
你希望我像你一样,嫁给一个有钱的、有教养的绅士,像尼年那样,住在这样一所漂亮的房♥子里。
You expect me to do precisely what you've done, marry a rich, well-bred gentleman, like Ninian, and live in a fine house like this.
有篱笆的房♥子,以防止羊群进入。
A house with a fence around it to keep out the common herd.
也是为了防止你逃离自己狭隘的生活。
And also to prevent you from escaping from your own narrow life.
恕我对我亲爱的姐夫不敬,我不想那样,我也不会。从来没有。
Well, with all due respect to my dear brother-in-law, I don't want that, and I won't have it. Never.
在亚伯拉罕·林肯身上,我看到了这样一个人:他为别人的篱笆劈开栏杆,但自己却永远不会为自己建一个篱笆。
In Abraham Lincoln, I see a man who has split rails for other men's fences but who will never build one around himself.
你说话的不负责任程度已经接近疯狂了。
You are talking with a degree of irresponsibility that's not far from sheer madness.
你从来没有采取行动来改变或改善你的状况。
You've never made a move to change your condition or to improve it.
你认为它无法改进。
You consider that it couldn't be improved.
对你来说,这一切都代表着完美。对我来说不是。
To you, all this represents perfection. Well, it doesn't to me.
我希望有机会为我自己和我丈夫塑造新的生活。
I want the chance to shape a new life for myself and for my husband.
这是不负责任吗?
Is that irresponsibility?
像他这样的人,又懒又没出息,总是中途停下来讲笑话,你能跟他走多远?
How far will you go with a man like that, lazy and shiftless, forever stopping along the way to tell jokes?
如果我足够强大让他继续前进,他是不会停下来的,而我很强大。
He will not stop if I am strong enough to make him go on, and I am strong.
我承认,他似乎对自己的力量没有概念,或者即使有,他也不敢面对。
I'll admit, he seems to have no conception of his own power, or if he has, he's afraid to face it.
我不害怕
I'm not afraid.
我准备为他完成他的使命而战,即使你和你的世界因此而鄙视我。
I'm ready to fight to make him fulfill his destiny, even if you and all your world despise me for it.
只是个小问题,玛丽,但我想你已经把你的决定告诉亚伯了吧?
Merely a small point, Mary, but I suppose you've communicated your decision to Abe?
还没有,但他今晚来的时候,他随时都可能到,他会向我求婚的。
Uh, not yet, but when he comes this evening, and he should be here at any moment, he will ask for my hand in marriage.
在我表现出适当的惊讶和困惑之后,我会胆怯地低声说:“是的。”
And after I've displayed the proper amount of surprise and confusion, I shall murmur timidly, "Yes."
-这太丢人了!-林肯先生,夫人。
- This is positively humiliating! - Mr. Lincoln, ma'am.
-告诉林肯先生…-我要去见他。
- Tell Mr. Lincoln that... - I shall see him.
带他进来。
Show him in.
-你能进来吗,林肯先生?-谢谢你,女士。
- Will you step in, Mr. Lincoln? - Thank you, ma'am.
晚上好,爱德华兹夫人。晚上好,托德小姐。
Good evening, Mrs. Edwards. Evening, Miss Todd.
-妮年,晚上好。-晚上好。
- Ninian, good evening. - Good evening.
-晚上好,林肯先生-很高兴见到你,亚伯。
- Good evening, Mr. Lincoln. - Glad to see you, Abe.
现在,如果你不介意的话,伊丽莎白和我必须听孩子们的祈祷——还要看着他们安然入睡。-哦,我也想听听他们的祈祷。
And now, if you'll excuse us, Elizabeth and I must hear the children's prayers - and see them safely abed. - Oh, I'd like to hear their prayers too.
哦,不。你只会用你的故事让他们睡不着。
Oh, no. You'd only keep them awake with your stories.
-走吧,伊丽莎白-替我跟他们吻别。
- Come along, Elizabeth. - Kiss them good night for me.
玛丽,你不和我们一起去跟孩子们道晚安吗?
Mary, won't you come with us to say good night to the children?
不,亲爱的。让玛丽留下来陪亚伯。
No, my dear. Leave Mary here to keep Abe entertained.
我不怪妮年让你远离那些孩子。
I don't blame Ninian for keeping you away from those children.
他们当然崇拜你。你了解他们。
They certainly adore you. You understand them.
这才是最重要的。请坐,林肯先生。
That's the important thing. But do sit down, Mr. Lincoln.
在这儿,在我这儿。
Here, by me.
谢谢你!我会的。
Thank you. I will.
先生们,新年快乐!
Happy new year, gentlemen!
她就是那样,比利。不管亚伯有什么不足,她都会弥补的。
She's exactly like that, Billy. Whatever Abe lacks, she'll make up for.
她有干劲和毅力。
She has drive and perseverance.
她会让他完成自己的使命。
She'll make him fulfill his destiny.
很高兴听你这么说,爱德华兹先生。
I'm glad to hear that, Mr. Edwards.
-祝你健康先生-祝你健康
- Here's to your health, sir. - Yours.
你好,史蒂夫。新年快乐!
Hello, Steve. Happy new year!
你好吗,史蒂夫?新年快乐!
How are you, Steve? Happy new year!
新年快乐。快给我一杯酒,我的主人。
Happy new year. Give me a drink quickly, mine host.
道格拉斯先生,要辣朗姆潘趣酒还是蛋酒?
Hot spiced rum punch or eggnog, Mr. Douglas?
我每种都要喝上一杯,然后再做决定。
I'll have a glass or so of each, then I'll make up my mind.
妮妮,幸运的新郎在哪里?
Ninian, where's the lucky bridegroom?
安倍吗?他不会来这里的。
Abe? He wouldn't come here.
-他似乎心情不好。——啊。我想是紧张吧。
- Seems to be in one of his gloomy moods. - Ah. Just nervousness, I expect.
仪式的一切都准备好了。
Everything's ready for the ceremony.
伊丽莎白准备了一顿丰盛的晚餐,整个宴会一定会圆♥满♥结束。
Elizabeth's prepared a bang-up supper, and the whole affair should go off handsomely.
-你当然会去的。-啊,是的。我是一个优秀的运动员。
- You'll be there, of course. - Ah, yes. I'm a good sportsman.
我会忍♥气吞声的。这还不是我能接受的全部。
I'll swallow my mortification. And that's not all I'll swallow.
首先,我请大家和我一起举杯,先生们。
To begin with, I ask you to join me in a toast, gentlemen.
献给老肯塔基州最美丽的花朵,玛丽·托德小姐,从今天起,她将成为亚伯拉罕·林肯夫人。
To the fairest flower of Old Kentucky, Miss Mary Todd, who from this day on will be Mrs. Abraham Lincoln.
敬玛丽·托德!
To Mary Todd!
新年快乐,林肯先生,史毕德先生。
Happy new year, Mr. Lincoln, Mr. Speed.
祝你新年快乐,比利。
Happy new year to you, Billy.
我刚去了切尼大厦。
I've just been over at the Chenery House.
他们都在为你的幸福干杯。
They were all drinking toasts to your happiness.
我想私下敬一杯酒。
I wish to have a private toast of my own.
林肯先生,当我第一次听说你即将结婚的时候,我承认我担心你在贬低自己,用你的荣誉换取高贵的家庭关系。
Mr. Lincoln, when I first heard of your approaching marriage, I confess I was afraid you were lowering yourself, trading your honor for exalted family connections.
我为我的想法道歉。
I apologize for so thinking.
我现在相信陶德小姐对你的期望和我一样。
I now believe that Miss Todd's ambitions for you are the same as my own.
我相信她永远不会停止驱使你,激励你,直到你达到属于你的高度。
I believe that she will never stop driving you and goading you until you have reached the heights where you belong.
我说上帝保佑她,给她力量,我为她和她的丈夫,未来的美国总统干杯!
And I say God bless her and give her strength, and I drink to her and to her husband, the future president of the United States!
把它收起来。
Put that away.
比利,我有封信要你送去。
Billy, I have a letter I wish you to deliver.
一封信吗?给谁?
A letter? To whom?
给他,乔什。
Give it to him, Josh.
-你没有权利这么做!-也许不是,但已经结束了。
- You had no right to do that! - Maybe not, but it's done.
别看着我,好像你要扭断我的脖子似的。
Don't look at me as though you were planning to break my neck.
我知道你能做到,亚伯,但你不会的。
I know you could do it, Abe, but you won't.
林肯先生要我把那封信交给托德小姐,但我拒绝了。
Mr. Lincoln asked me to deliver that letter to Miss Todd, but I refused to do so.
他写信给她是想请求她把他从这场只会给他们俩带来无尽痛苦和不幸的婚姻中解脱出来。
He was writing her to ask for his release from a marriage which could only lead to endless pain and misery for them both.
如果这不是事实,那是什么?
If that isn't the truth, what is?
如果这是真的,就像个男人那样当面告诉她。
If that is the truth, tell her so to her face in the manner of a man.
我得告诉她,我恨她那可恶的野心,我不想一辈子被她的鞭子抽打着,被她的马刺踩着,被她骑着,被她赶着前进和向上。
I'd have to tell her that I have hatred for her infernal ambition, that I don't want to be ridden and driven onward and upward through life with her whip lashing me and her spurs digging into me.
如果她那可怜的小灵魂渴望出人头地,就让她嫁给斯蒂芬·道格拉斯吧。
If her poor little soul craves importance in life, let her marry Stephen Douglas.
他也很有野心。
He's ambitious too.
我只想一个人待着。
I want only to be left alone.
承认你害怕她会更有礼貌些。
It would be more gracious to admit that you're afraid of her.
好样的,史毕德先生。
Good for you, Mr. Speed.
-你最好别掺和进来。-不,我不会。
- You'd better keep out of this. - No, I won't.
你不能抛弃玛丽·托德小姐。
You're not abandoning Miss Mary Todd.
电影精选列表