不,你只是把她当作活祭,把她献上希望你没能尽到自己的职责能得到原谅。
No, you're only using her as the living sacrifice, offering her up in the hope that you'll gain forgiveness for your failure to do your own great duty.
这是我的重大职责。
My own great duty.
每个人都觉得有责任提醒我它,但没有人能告诉我它是什么。
Everyone feels called upon to remind me of it, and no one can tell me what it is.
我可以告诉你。
I can tell you.
我可以告诉你,每一个自称为美国人的人的责任是什么。
I can tell you what is the duty of every man who calls himself an American.
这是为了使那些曾经被认为是不言而喻的真理永垂不朽,即人人生而平等,并被赋予生存、自♥由♥和追求幸福的权利。
It is to perpetuate those truths which were once held to be self-evident, that all men are created equal and endowed with the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
这些权利被剥夺了吗?
And are those rights denied to me?
当你意识到这个国家有两百万同胞是奴隶时,你能享受这些吗?
Could you ever enjoy them while you realize that two million of your fellow beings in this country are slaves?
当你看着那面旗帜时,难道你没有意识到它的十颗星代表着那些宁愿摧毁联邦也不愿放弃对奴隶的所有权的州吗?
When you look at that flag, don't you ever realize that ten of its stars represent states which would destroy the union rather than give up their property rights in those slaves?
别告诉我这个世界上还有人比你更了解这一点,林肯先生。
Don't dare tell me that anybody in this world knows that better than you do, Mr. Lincoln.
你,纪念以利亚·洛夫乔伊和其他为捍卫自♥由♥而牺牲的人。
You, who honor the memory of Elijah Lovejoy and every other man who ever died fighting in the defense of freedom.
是的,我尊敬他们,羡慕他们,因为他们相信他们的理想值得为之牺牲。
Yes, I honor them and envy them because they could believe that their ideals are worth dying for.
好吧,乔什。
All right, Josh.
我现在要上去和玛丽谈谈。
I'll go up now and I'll talk to Mary.
-那我就走了。——在哪里?
- Then I'm going away. - Where?
我不知道。
I don't know.
世界要过去,唯独遵行神旨意的,是永远常存。
The world passeth, but he that doeth the will of God abideth forever.
你好,安。
Howdy, Abe.
你好,安。
Hello, Abe.
林肯先生。很高兴看到你回来。
Mr. Lincoln. Glad to see you back.
谢谢你,格斯。
Thank you, Gus.
怎么,亚伯,你什么时候回来的?
Why, Abe, when did you get back?
-你好!-下午好。
- How do you do? - Good afternoon.
在他无♥耻♥地对待托德小姐之后,我认为他不敢在这个镇上露面。
After his shameful treatment of Miss Todd, I wouldn't think he'd dare show his face in this town.
偏偏要去爱德华兹家。
And going in the Edwards home, of all things.
就在他最不想要的地方。
Right in where he's least wanted.
我们不能说他缺乏勇气。
We can't say he lacks courage.
她说请进,林肯先生。
She says come right in, Mr. Lincoln.
-很高兴再次见到你,亚伯。-谢谢你,玛丽。
- I'm glad to see you again, Abe. - Thank you, Mary.
你也许会奇怪,我为什么要这样求你怜悯。
You may well wonder why I thrust myself on your mercy in this manner.
我相信妮妮安家永远欢迎你。
I'm sure you're always welcome in Ninian's house.
自从上次我们在这里开会时我的行为之后,我就不受欢迎了。
After my behavior at our last meeting here, I have not been welcome company for myself.
约书亚·斯毕德一直让我们知道你的下落。
Joshua Speed has kept us informed of your whereabouts.
-我们非常担心。-你太好了。
- We've been greatly concerned. - You've been most kind.
现在你可以回去工作了,毫无疑问,你会再次竞选议员。
Now you'll return to your work, and no doubt you'll be running for the assembly again.
或者你有更大的计划。
Or perhaps you have larger plans.
我没有计划,玛丽。我只希望得到你的原谅。
I have no plans, Mary. I only wish to gain your forgiveness.
这是毫无疑问的。
There's no question of that.
我们之间发生的事是我的错。
What happened between us was my own fault.
我被自己的自信蒙蔽了双眼。
I was blinded by my own self-confidence.
我…我爱过你。
I... I loved you.
我相信我能让你爱我。
I believed that I could make you love me.
我相信我的野心之火会在你心中燃烧,你会成为一个男人,一个男人的领袖,但你并不希望那样。
I believed the fire of my ambition would burn in you, you would become a man, a leader of men, but you didn't wish that.
没错,玛丽,你曾经信任过我而我却远不值得信任。
It is true, Mary, you once had faith in me which I was far from deserving.
是时候了,我希望努力去配得上它。
The time has come when I wish to strive to deserve it.
我现在相信我们的命运在一起,不管是好是坏。
I believe now that our destinies are together, for better or for worse.
所以我再次冒昧地请求你做我的妻子。
So I again presume to ask you to be my wife.
我完全明白让我回去会让你蒙羞。
I fully realize that taking me back involves humiliation for you.
我已经受过羞辱了,而且挺过来了。
I've had humiliation already and survived it.
但我向你保证,玛丽,如果你愿意嫁给我,我将在我的余生中尽我所能去做正确的事,因为上帝赋予了我辨别正确的能力。
But I promise you, Mary, that if you will have me, I shall devote myself for the rest of my days to trying to do what is right as God gives me power to see what is right.
然后……我将成为你的妻子。
Then... I shall be your wife.
我将与你并肩作战,直到死亡将我们分开。
I shall fight by your side till death do us part.
亚伯,我爱你。哦,我爱你。
Abe, I love you. Oh, I love you.
无论我们俩的结局如何,我都会爱着你到死。
Whatever becomes of the two of us, I'll die loving you.
“…作为奴隶。无论他们是否获得解放,他们仍然受制于统治种族的权威,除了那些掌握政♥府♥权力的人之外,没有任何权利或特权
"...as slaves. Whether emancipated or not, they yet remain subject to the authority of the dominant race and have no rights or privileges but such as those who hold the power of government
也许会选择同意。”
might choose to grant them."
你是约翰·布朗吗?
Are you John Brown?
先生,我是Osawatomie John Brown。
I am, sir, Osawatomie John Brown.
别再和他们斗了,爸爸。
Don't try and fight them anymore, Pa.
我以叛国罪逮捕你,罪名是携带武器反对美国政♥府♥。
I place you under arrest for treason, for bearing arms against the government of the United States.
我想问是谁逮捕的。
I'd like to ask who's making this arrest.
我是第二骑兵团的罗伯特·e·李中校,奉布坎南总统之命而来。
I am Lieutenant Colonel Robert E. Lee of the 2nd Cavalry, acting under orders from President Buchanan.
没用的,爸爸。你得向他们屈服。
It's no use, Pa. You got to give in to them.
总得有人来完成这项工作。
Somebody else has got to finish this job.
很好,李上校,我接受逮捕,我很清楚我将被绞死因为我试图结束奴隶制的罪恶。
Very well, Colonel Lee, I submit to arrest, knowing full well that I shall be hanged for this attempt to end the evil of slavery.
但在我死后,邪恶将继续存在,你和所有其他爱国者将会明白,只有用鲜血才能将邪恶从这个罪恶的世界上清除。
But after I am dead, the evil will remain, and you and all other patriots will come to learn it can be purged from this guilty world only with blood.
再见,我的儿子。
Goodbye, my son.
又一个狂热分子去见他的创造者了。
Another fanatic has gone to meet his maker.
为什么这些反对奴隶制的傻瓜就不能管好自己的事?
Why can't these antislavery fools mind their own business?
道格拉斯参议员!
Senator Douglas!
你一直在等的消息。斯普林菲尔德的电报。
The message you've been waiting for. Telegram from Springfield.
他们已经提名亚伯拉罕·林肯今年秋天竞选参议员。
They've nominated Abraham Lincoln to run against the senator this fall.
我最衷心的祝贺。
My heartiest congratulations.
林肯吗?他是谁?
Lincoln? Who is he?
他们在做什么,让你当选吗?
What are they doing, giving you the election?
所以亚伯拉罕·林肯最终决定站出来战斗。
So Abe Lincoln has decided at last to come out and fight.
这是发生在我们身上最好的事了。
It's the best thing that could have happened to us.
林肯是如何看待奴隶制的?
How does this Lincoln stand on slavery?
没有人知道,尤其是林肯自己。
Nobody knows, least of all Lincoln himself.
他是你见过的最优柔寡断,最优柔寡断的动物。
He's the most undecided, hesitatingest critter you ever saw.
好。我们不希望今年在伊利诺斯州出现奴隶问题。
Good. We don't want that slave issue brought up in Illinois this year.
你可以指望老亚伯。他正是我们想要的,一个平和的人。
You can count on old Abe. He's just what we want, a peaceful man.
我们马上开始竞选活动。我要回斯普林菲尔德。
We'll start the campaign at once. I'm going back to Springfield.
当我到达那里时,我想要受到前所未有的欢迎,车站有铜管乐队,有盛大的游♥行♥队伍,所有人都有免费的酒。
And I want to have an unprecedented welcome when I get there, brass band at the station, a big parade and free liquor for all.
但你不是说你害怕亚伯拉罕·林肯吧?
But you don't mean to say that you're afraid of Abe Lincoln?
为什么,这个国家不了解他。
Why, the country doesn't know him.
也许这个国家没有……但我知道。
Maybe the country doesn't... but I do.
现在都准备好了。保持静止。
All ready now. Keep very still.
一、二、三……泰德,你要保持绝对静止。你也是,威利。
One, two, three... Tad, you're to keep absolutely still. You too, Willie.
我们会的,妈妈。
We will, Ma.
现在,请大家一起来。
Now, please, one and all.
一、二、三……泰德,如果我再跟你说一次话…但是爸爸总是挠我痒痒。
One, two, three... Tad, if I have to speak to you once more... But Pa keeps tickling me.
我可能早就知道了。拜托,林肯先生。
I might have known it. Please, Mr. Lincoln.
请记住这张照片是《芝加哥论♥坛♥报》订购的在您竞选期间广泛传播。
Please bear in mind this picture was ordered by the Chicago Tribune to spread far and wide during your campaign.
对不起,玛丽,但我总觉得自己看起来很傻。
I'm sorry, Mary, but I can't help thinking how foolish I look.
现在,我求你了,不要有任何举动。
Now, I beg of you, no move of any kind.
这一次,我们会成功的。
This time, we'll get it.
一个……
One...
威利!泰德!回来!
Willie! Tad! Come back here!
看,爸爸。这是一个伟大的大游♥行♥!
Look, Pa. It's a great big parade!
斯蒂芬·道格拉斯到了。听他们为他欢呼。
Stephen Douglas has arrived. Listen to them cheering for him.
他们应该为他欢呼。他给了他们足够的钱。
They ought to cheer him. He paid them enough for it.
老亚伯对此没有答案。
Old Abe won't have an answer for that one.
你是个骗子。
You're a liar.
我们现在已经听到了两位伊利诺斯州联邦参议员高级职位候选人斯蒂芬·道格拉斯法官和亚伯拉罕·林肯先生的主要论点。
We have now heard the leading arguments of the two candidates for the high office of United States Senator from Illinois, Judge Stephen A. Douglas and Mr. Abraham Lincoln.
按照辩论的惯例,现在每位候选人都要进行反驳。
According to the usual custom of debate, each of the candidates will now speak in rebuttal.
道格拉斯法官。
Judge Douglas.
我的同胞们,我的好朋友林肯先生以他一贯的朴实的真诚,纯朴的魅力,以及他一贯的乡土幽默向你们发表了讲话。
My fellow citizens, my good friend Mr. Lincoln has addressed you with his usual artless sincerity, his pure, homely charm, his perennial native humor.
他在讲话中慷慨地用了很大一部分篇幅,对我作为一个人的优良品质(如果不是作为一个政♥治♥家的话)进行了最亲切的评价,对此我深表感谢。
He has devoted a generously large portion of his address to most amiable remarks upon my fine qualities as a man, if not as a Statesman, for which I express deepest gratitude.
但与此同时,我最诚恳地恳求你不要被他表面上的天真和精心培养的善意所欺骗,因为在他的每一个小小的说教中都隐藏着武器。
But at the same time, I most earnestly beg you not to be deceived by his seeming innocence, his carefully cultivated spirit of good will, for in each of his little homilies lurk concealed weapons.
就像莎士比亚不朽悲剧中的布鲁图斯一样,林肯先生是一个可敬的人。
Like Brutus in Shakespeare's immortal tragedy, Mr. Lincoln is an honorable man.
但也像布鲁图斯一样,他擅长在对手最意想不到的时候将匕♥首♥插♥进♥对手的肋骨间。
But also like Brutus, he is an adept at the art of inserting daggers between an opponent's ribs just when said opponent least expects it.
女士们先生们,请看我。
Behold me, ladies and gentlemen.
我遍体鳞伤。
I am covered with scars.
-他们怎么敢笑?-这只是个演讲,妈妈。
- How dare they laugh? - It's only a speech, Mother.
你说什么都行,亚伯。
Anytime you say, Abe.
林肯先生辛辣的轶事使你发笑。
Mr. Lincoln makes you laugh with his pungent anecdotes.
他描写南方黑奴的悲惨处境的生动画面,使你不禁潸然泪下。
He draws tears from your eyes with his dramatic pictures of the plight of the Black slave labor in the South.
他总是巧妙地引导你进入真理的门槛。
Always he guides you skillfully to the threshold of truth.
但是,当你要跨过它的时候,他把你的注意力转移到了别处。
But then, as you are about to cross it, he diverts your attention elsewhere.
他从来没有提到过北方这里的劳动条件。
He never by any mischance makes reference to the condition of labor here in the North.
也许他不知道现在有成千上万的工人在罢♥工♥,饥肠辘辘的人衣衫褴褛地在街上游♥行♥,煽动骚乱,因为他们没有得到足够的报酬
Perhaps he's ignorant of the fact that tens of thousands of workers are now on strike, hungry men marching through the streets in ragged order, promoting riots because they're not paid enough
把肉留在他们孩子的骨头上。
to keep the flesh upon the bones of their babies.
这是什么样的自♥由♥,什么样的平等?
What kind of liberty is this and what kind of equality?
没错!
Right!
林肯先生不断地重复平等这个话题。
Mr. Lincoln harps constantly on this subject of equality.
他一遍又一遍地重复洛夫乔伊和其他废奴主义者所使用的论点,即《独♥立♥宣言》宣布,根据神圣的法律,所有人都是自♥由♥平等的,
He repeats over and over the argument used by Lovejoy and other abolitionists to wit, that the Declaration of Independence, having declared all men free and equal by divine law,
因此,黑人平等是一项不可剥夺的权利。
thus Negro equality is an inalienable right.
与此相反的是最高法♥院♥对德雷德·斯科特一案的判决。
Contrary to this stands the verdict of the Supreme Court in the case of Dred Scott.
林肯先生是一名律师,因此我认为,他知道,当他试图摧毁公众对最高法♥院♥的正直和不可侵犯性的信心时,他是在鼓吹革命。
Mr. Lincoln is a lawyer, and I presume, therefore, that he knows that when he seeks to destroy public confidence in the integrity, the inviolability of the Supreme Court, he is preaching revolution.
电影精选列表