谢谢你,克里斯蒂先生
Thank you, Mr. Christie.
你这是干什么?
What are you doing?
我到客厅里去睡
I'm going to sleep in the front room.
客厅?
Front room?
- 今后我就睡在沙发上 - 这是为哪般?
- On the sofa from now on. - What's that in aid of?
没什么,就是我睡得不是很好,就这
Nothing. It's just that I'm not sleeping very well, that's all.
这个…
Now...
你是在十一月三十日主动前往警♥察♥局
it is you who voluntarily go to the police
这是在你听说你婶婶收到了
on the 30th of November after hearing about the telegram
索利先生,也就是你岳父,的电报之后的事?
which your aunt had received from Mr. Thorley, your wife's father?
没错
That's right.
这是因为你先前的谎言被那封电报揭露
It was because your previous lies were exposed by the telegram
所以你决定前往警♥察♥局,是吗?
that you decided to go to the police, was it?
不是因为说的那些谎
It wasn't because of the lies.
那你为什么突然前往警♥察♥局?
Then why did you suddenly go to the police?
这…
Well...
因为我开始担心我女儿
I was getting worried about my daughter.
你是在认真地向陪审团陈述吗?
Are you saying that seriously to the jury?
你到警♥察♥局去,供认谋杀
That you go to the police and confessed a murder
就是因为你担心你的女儿
because you're worried about your daughter?
我并无冒犯之意,实际上并无谋杀供词
With great respect, there is no confession of murder.
埃文斯先生说的是“我把妻子的尸体处理掉了,把她放到下水道里了”
He said, "I have disposed of my wife. I have put her down the drain".
听起来非常像谋杀
It sounds very like murder.
她所说的是他把她放进了下水道
All he said was he had put her, it might well be her body,
可能指的是她的尸体
down the drain.
你向警♥察♥做了一份陈述,这是你的第一份陈述…
You made a statement to the police, and this is the first you made...
请看表格六
Exhibit 6.
陈述里你说到在咖啡馆遇到一个男的
In which you talk of meeting a man in a café
以及你的妻子如何服用那些药丸
and of how your wife took these pills
并因此死亡
and died of them,
还有你发现她死亡
and you found her dead.
你是否记得那份陈述?
Do you remember that statement?
- 是的,我记得 - 那份陈述不属实吗?
- Yes, I remember that statement. - That is untrue?
是的,不属实
That is untrue, yes.
接着你又做了一份陈述,其中你用一些细节陈述
You then make a statement in which you set out in some detail
克里斯蒂先生如何给你妻子某些打胎的东西
how Mr. Christie gave your wife something
而她正死于那些东西
which would cause an abortion, and she died of that.
那份陈述你是否记得?
Do you remember that one?
是的,我也记得
Yes, I remember that one too.
那份声明属实,还是不属实?
Is that one true or untrue?
属实
That is true.
可是你做了一份声明
Then you made a statement
说你承认谋杀了你的妻子和女儿
in which you confessed to murdering your wife and your child.
那属实,还是不属实?
Is that true or untrue?
在做那份陈述之前,我被告知了我女儿的死讯
I was told of my daughter's death before I made that one.
属实,还是不属实?
True or untrue?
是的,我做了那声明
It is true I made the statement.
那份声明属实,还是不属实?
Is the statement true or untrue?
不属实
Untrue.
那么,也就是你给警♥察♥的
So then that is the second statement you have made
第二份陈述,说到了细节的
to the police, in some detail,
是不属实的了
which is untrue.
没错
Yes.
那么,是否可以说,你是一个时刻准备撒谎的人
So would it not be right to say that you are a person who's prepared to lie,
或者为了自己的方便而讲述事实?
or tell the truth, at your own convenience?
啊,我为什么要讲谎话呢?我的性命可在这悬着
Well, why should I tell lies? My life is at stake here.
现在…
Now...
我们证明你说的
we have shown that your story
克里斯蒂先生为你妻子堕胎的故事是胡编乱造
about Mr. Christie giving your wife an abortion is nonsense.
而且,本案中是你凭空断言克里斯蒂先生为杀人凶手
Well, you are the person who alleges Mr. Christie is the murderer in this case.
你能解释克里斯蒂先生为什么要勒死你妻子吗?
Can you suggest why he should have strangled your wife?
这个…
Well...
他…
he was...
他整天在家
home all day.
你能解释克里斯蒂先生为什么要勒死你妻子吗?
Can you suggest why he should have strangled your wife?
不,我不能
No, I can't.
你能解释克里斯蒂先生为什么要勒死你女儿吗?
Can you suggest why he should have strangled your daughter?
不能
No.
我没杀人,婶婶
I didn't do it, Auntie.
是克里斯蒂干的
Christie done it.
在警♥察♥把我带回诺丁汉之前,我都不知道我的小孩死了
I didn't even know the baby was dead till the police brought me in to Notting Hill.
呃,克里斯蒂说她在东阿克顿
Well, Christie said she was in East Acton.
把克里斯蒂找来
Get Christie.
带他来见我,他是现在唯一能帮我的人了
Get him here to see me. He's the only one who can help me now.
提摩太·约翰·埃文斯
Timothy John Evans.
本庭认定你犯故意杀人罪
The court has found you guilty of wilful murder.
法庭宣判如下
The sentence of the court upon you is
你将被由本庭押解至一合法监狱
that you be taken from this place to a lawful prison
其后至一处执刑之地
and thence to a place of execution,
你将在刑场被处以绞刑至死
and there you will suffer death by hanging,
你的尸体将被葬于该监狱范围内
and that your body be buried within the precincts of the prison
在执行绞刑前,你将被羁押在该监狱
in which you shall have been last confined before your execution.
愿主拯救你的灵魂
And may the Lord have mercy on your soul.
阿门!
Amen.
我脑袋里忘不掉的念头
The one thing that sticks in my mind
是我因为一些我没做过的事被关进来了,先生
is I'm in for something I haven't done, sir.
你必须明白,埃文斯,我们到这来不是为了研究你这案子中的对与错
You must remember, Evans, that we're not here to go into the rights and wrongs of your case.
我们仅仅是一个医疗小组
This is purely a medical board.
是的,我明白,先生
Yes, I know that, sir.
知道吗…
See...
是克里斯蒂干的
Christie done it.
你在诺丁汉供认了,那是为什么?
You confessed at Notting Hill. Why was that?
我在诺丁汉崩溃了
I broke down at Notting Hill.
当我知道我女儿没了后我就没什么牵挂了
I had nothing else to worry about when I knew my daughter was dead.
你觉得为什么你的女儿会遇害呢?
Why do you think your daughter was killed?
这…
Well...
为了不碍事,是吗?
to be out of the way, wasn't it?
- 我明白了,还有什么问题吗? - 没有了
- I see. Any further questions? - No.
没了
No.
好的,谢谢你
All right. Thank you.
来吧,走
Come along, then.
但是是克里斯蒂干的,我说,是克里斯蒂干的
But Christie done it. I say, Christie done it.
好啦,好啦
All right. All right.
只是,我不明白,他不是那种让人不愉快的年轻人
Well, I don't know. He's not an unpleasing little fellow.
哦,是的,从医学上讲,是头脑简单型,不过没什么不正常
Oh, no. Primitive sort of creature, but nothing abnormal, medically speaking.
- 比一般人长得好看些,我觉得 - 是的
- Rather nicer than average, I thought. - Yes.
实际上,根本没什么太多的事情
Nothing very much at all, really.
当然也没有要实行死刑缓刑的医学根据
Certainly no medical grounds for a reprieve.
[死 刑]
[一切依法行事]
啊!
Oh!
晚饭在橱柜里
Supper's in the meat safe.
我应该想到你本来可以自己去拿的
I should have thought you could have got it for yourself.
我现在去睡觉了,我吃了一片安♥眠♥药♥
I'm going to bed now. I've taken a sleeping pill.
明早我要去谢菲尔德
I'm going to Sheffield in the morning.
- 谢菲尔德? - 去跟杰西和鲍勃住
- Sheffield? - To stay with Jessy and Bob.
你不能把我一个人留在这
You can't just leave me here.
我受不了杰西,你知道的,她话太多了
I can't stand Jessy, you know that. She talks too much.
那我要打算干什么呢?
What am I meant to do then?
我们没有朋友
We've no friends.
差不多两年了,一个人也没进来过
Not a soul set foot in this house for two years, nearly.
在埃文斯家之后,一个也没,我们又没钱
Not since the Evanses. We've no money.
不知道从什么时候起,你就不上班了
You haven't worked since I don't know when.
我不能工作,我能吗?
I can't work, can I?
我这背还有全身病,我上不了班,医生说我应该住院
Not with my back and everything. The doctor says I should be in hospital.
我知道你应该下哪去
I know where you should be.
- 你这话是什么意思? - 你知道我是什么意思
- What's that supposed to mean? - You know what I mean.
啊…
Oh...
你不介意吧,我坐这,嗯?
You don't mind, do you?
- 偏右痛 - 嗯
- It's migraine. - Hm.
- 我患了这严重的头痛 - 非常不舒服,哦,非常不舒服
- I get these terrible headaches. - Very unpleasant, oh, very unpleasant.
电影精选列表