因此,搜索人员只能接受这样一个事实
that they aren't going to find any good news here.
他们在这里找不到任何有用的信息
I wasn't really paying attention.
我没怎么在意
And then, on the news on TV,
然后,在电视新闻里
I hear this voice saying that,
我听到一个声音说
「谢尔曼营地商店业主,加里·韦斯顿」
"I was the last one to see her alive."
“我是最后一个看到她活着的人”
Same tone, same inflection, same everything.
同样的语气,同样的音调变化,一切都一样
And I thought, "Holy smoke.
我就想,“天哪”
"I know that voice."
我知道那个声音
And it's just like Christmas Eve of '78.
就像1978年的平安夜
And I hollered at Chrissy, I said, "That son-of-a-bitch did it again."
我对克丽丝喊道,我说,“那狗♥娘♥养♥的又干了一次”
1978年
She went for a jog. Kaye Turner never returned.
她去慢跑了,凯伊·特纳再也没有回来
俄勒冈州 谢尔曼营地
When I said, you know, to Chrissy,
当我对克丽丝说
"The son-of-a-bitch did it again,"
那个婊♥子♥养♥的♥又干了一次
I was angry.
我很愤怒
We knew the guy that did it
我们认识凶手
because everybody knew about the murder,
因为大家都知道这起谋杀案
back in '78.
早在1978年
Because he got away with it.
因为他逃脱了惩罚
so...
然后...
「谢尔曼营地商店业主,加里·韦斯顿」
Camp Sherman is a vacation-type resort community,
谢尔曼营地是一个度假社区
along Highway 20.
位于20号♥公路沿线
We came in '78.
我们是1978年来的
Such an idyllic spot.
这是一个田园诗般的地方
I mean, it's almost rainbows and unicorns.
我的意思是,简直就是彩虹和独角兽
I mean, it's that perfect a place.
我是说,这是一个完美的地方
The type that there's just one store.
只有一家商店的那种
Back then, we were the pulse if you need to know what's going on.
当时,如果你需要知道发生了什么,我们就是渠道
And when people were lonely,
当人们感到孤独
or had cabin fever,
或发烧时
they'd head to the store.
他们会去商店
So, we see everybody.
所以,我们看到每一个人
So, the penny candy's always been here.
便士糖果一直都在这里
The folks that had the store before us had penny candy,
在我们之前开店的人都有便士糖果
we have penny candy.
我们有便士糖果
Now these are charge accounts.
现在这些是赊账账户
Most all of these are summer home people.
大多数都是避暑别♥墅♥的人
But there are locals, too.
但也有当地人
And when they'll come for a weekend, or a week,
人们来度周末或住上一周
rather than pay each time, we run a tab.
不是每次都付钱,而是记账
Who else does charge accounts anymore?
现在还有谁会记账?
The store was a gathering point.
这家商店是个聚集点
It's just a perfect place to grow up,
这是一个完美的成长之地
perfect place to raise your family.
也是养家糊口的好地方
You know, and up until the incident, super safe.
你知道,在事情发生之前,非常安全
You know, so...
你知道的,就这样的...
Christmas Eve morning, 1978.
1978年圣诞节前夕的早晨
35-year-old Kaye turner of Eugene
尤金35岁的凯伊·特纳
was vacationing in this cabin at Camp Sherman, Oregon.
当时正在俄勒冈州谢尔曼营的这间小屋里度假
She went for a jog on this road.
她在这条路上慢跑
Kaye Turner never returned.
凯伊·特纳再也没回来
1978年12月24日
Christmas Eve started out foggy and cold.
圣诞夜开始时雾蒙蒙的,很冷
And then the sun came out and it was super warm.
然后太阳出来了,天气非常暖和
So, I got up, we opened the store.
所以,我起床后打开了商店
I just walked through and Chrissy's talking to this guy.
我刚走过,克丽丝和人说话
And I came in and she said, "Did you find her yet?"
我走进来,她说,“你找到她了吗?
And he said, "No."
他说,“没有”
And I said... The way he said "no", I said...
我说... 他说“不”的方式,我说...
I asked him, "So, what kind of dog did you lose?"
我问他,“你是丢失了什么样的狗?”
And he said, " no, I lost my wife."
他说,“不,我失去了我的妻子”
I said...
我说...
"Whoa!"
“哦!”
"When'd you last see her?"
你最后看到她是什么时候?
He said, " between 8:00 and 8:30."
他说,在8:00到8:30之间
I said, "My God."
我说,天啊
He was from Eugene, he was new to the area.
他是尤金人,初来乍到
Didn't really know anybody here.
他在这里谁都不认识
We didn't have a search and rescue team in Camp Sherman, at all.
我们在谢尔曼营地根本没有搜救队
We just never had to have one.
我们从来没有过
So, I said, "Well, let me just take a drive."
然后,我说,“好吧,我们开车去找找”
I just hopped in the Reagan,
我就上了里根车
made a quick loop,
快速转了一圈
expecting to find a gal with an injured ankle.
希望能找到脚踝受伤的姑娘
I never once suspected foul play.
我没想到是谋杀
It never even entered my mind.
我甚至从来没有想过
This is Camp Sherman. Nobody dies in Camp Sherman.
这是谢尔曼营地,没有人死在谢尔曼营地
Her husband, Noel, called.
她的丈夫诺埃尔打来电♥话♥
And then... And it was a short conversation.
那是一次简短的交流
He wanted to know
他想知道
「凯伊·特纳的朋友,阿迪斯·温特斯」
if Kaye would be likely, when we were running together,
他想知道,当我们一起跑的时候
to head off into the trees.
凯伊会不会一头跑进树林里
"She always stayed on the road.
她一直在路上跑
"She never went bounding off
她从未跑偏
"into the trees.
到树林里去
"If she went out to run and she hasn't come back,
如果她出去跑了还没回来
"somebody's grabbed her."
有人抓了她
I'm sure those were almost my exact words.
我确信那几乎是我的原话
I think, by the time we hung up,
我想,当我们挂断电♥话♥的时候
I was already crying.
我哭了
I called Jefferson County.
我打电♥话♥给杰斐逊郡
Just told 'em we had a missing jogger.
告诉他们我们有一个慢跑者失踪了
And, you know, "What should we do?"
然后,你知道,“我们该怎么办?”
'Cause we never had that happen before.
因为我们以前从未发生过这种事
And they said, "Well, get some people together, we'll be right over."
他们说,“好,叫几个人来,我们马上过去”
"Okay."
“好的”
To kinda show what community it is,
我们社区是这样的
I made three calls or four calls,
我打了三四个电♥话♥
and yet 15 or 20 four-wheel drives
有15到20辆四轮驱动车
were in my parking lot in 20 minutes.
20分钟内来到我的停车场
Christmas Eve.
平安夜
Some people left diner to come right over.
有些人离开餐厅直接过来
谢尔曼营地
There was no law enforcement in Camp Sherman, at the time.
当时谢尔曼营地没有执法部门
Because the statistics, the crimes,
因为犯罪率小
「谢尔曼营地志愿者,马克·福斯特」
didn't add up
没有意义
We wasted an hour or so of daylight.
白天我们浪费了一个小时左右
But we were told to wait.
我们被告知要等待
And so they got here and they said, "Okay, so what do you want us to do?
后来他们来这里说,“好吧,你想让我们做什么?”
"We'll just fan out and drive the roads."
“我们大家分头去找”
We could have done that in daylight.
我们本可以在白天就开始的
Kaye!
凯伊!
We went until about... I think about 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning.
我们一直走到大约... 我想大概是凌晨一两点吧
So, it was... Yeah, it was a difficult... Difficult time.
所以...是的,那是一段艰难的时期
The next day, my husband and I went up and participated in the search.
第二天,我和丈夫上去参与了搜索
I remember calling out her name.
我记得呼喊过她的名字
Now wanting to find what we were looking for.
现在想要找到我们要找的东西
You didn't wanna find a body.
你并不想找到一具尸体
But at the same time, you wanted to.
但同时你又想找到
So, it was just...
所以,就...
push-pull.
纠结
It was so surreal.
这太离奇了
欢迎来到谢尔曼营地
The police set up a command center
警♥察♥设立了指挥中心
in the restaurant across the river.
在河对面的餐馆
At that time, I remember thinking
我记得当时觉得
everything was so disorganized.
一切都杂乱无章
People were just taking off in the woods.
人们在树林里进进出出
And every woods looks the same.
每片树林看起来都一样