她在哪里
It was getting close to Christmas time.
圣诞节快到了
I proposed to him, "How about you tell me where she is,
我向他提议,“你告诉我她在哪里怎么样?”
we find her, you take us there,
“我们找到她,你带我们去那里”
and we'll let you have Christmas dinner with your family?"
“然后我们会让你和家人一起吃圣诞晚餐”
[警方询问约翰·阿克罗伊德]
当我被捕的时候
他们要和我达成协议
我将服刑二十年
如果我招供了凯伊·特纳和切尼案
就像我告诉律师的那样,如果我做了任何一件,我会立刻认罪
我完全是无辜的
我到死都会这么说
那其他的呢?
什么其他的?
其他的
你在说什么?
我说的是其他一些人
在那个地区死了的人
我这辈子从没杀过任何人
我想过
但我从来没做过
He just, he wouldn't take the bait, if you will.
他就是不肯上钩
So we wanted to bring John Arthur Ackroyd to trial on Rachanda's case.
所以我们想让约翰·阿克罗伊德就拉昌达案接受审判
My hope was that through plea negotiations,
我希望通过认罪谈判
that he would tell us where she was.
他会告诉我们她在哪里
「2013年,俄勒冈州,林恩郡法♥院♥」
Walking up the stairs into the court room, my anxiety started going up.
走上楼梯进入法庭,我的焦虑开始加剧
I mean, there was once I thought, "Man, can I even do this?"
我的意思是,我曾闪过个念头,“伙计,我能做到吗?”
Do we take it to trial or do we allow John to plead it out?
我们要上法庭还是让约翰认罪?
This is kind of like, "What do I do? My mom ain't here and my dad's in prison."
这有点像,“我该怎么办?我妈妈不在,我爸爸在监狱里”
The two people who should be here because this is their child.
两个本该在这里的人,因为这是他们的孩子
You know, and I'm like, "What what is going to be the difference
然后我就说,“会有什么不同?”
if we get a conviction or f he pleads to this?" And they're like, "Nothing."
“如果我们给他定罪,或者他认罪?”然后他们说,“没有”
Ackroyd cut a deal with Linn County authorities to
阿克罗伊德与林恩郡当局达成协议
「俄勒冈人报记者,诺埃尔·克龙比」
enter a no-contest plea for Rachanda's death
对拉昌达之死提出无异议抗辩
in an exchange, he would not seek parole.
作为交换,他不会寻求假释
But as a part of the plea, he's not giving up the location of Byron's sister.
但作为认罪协议的一部分,他不会供出拜伦妹妹的下落
I had two goals, Ackroyd would stay in prison.
我有两个目标,让阿克罗伊德待在监狱
And two, Byron will get justice. Then we would get Rachanda's body back.
第二,拜伦会得到正义,然后我们能拿回拉昌达的尸体
And, I think for me,
而且,我认为对我来说
it's kind of a failure.
这是一种失败
Byron deserves a little bit of justice,
拜伦应该得到一点公正
closure.
宽慰
Ackroyd made the plea in open court,
阿克罗伊德在公开法庭上提出抗辩
but then the judge immediately signed an order to seal the records.
但随后法官立即签署了封存记录的命令
It was highly unusual, because pleas, typically, are a matter of public record.
这是极不寻常的,因为通常情况下,抗辩都是公开记录
Attorneys with extensive experience in Oregon's criminal courts
在俄勒冈州刑事法♥院♥拥有丰富经验的律师
told The Oregonian that they've never heard of such a thing.
告诉俄勒冈人他们从来没听说过这样的事
So it was extraordinary.
所以这是非同寻常的
It protected Ackroyd to have it sealed?
它保护了阿克罗伊德让它封存?
Does it serve the prosecution?
这对检方有用吗?
I don't know.
我不知道
It took me a lot of years to actually get to the point where
我花了很多年的时间才真正意识到
I realized that John is the one that killed my sister.
约翰就是杀害我妹妹的那个人
'Cause you would have to admit that
因为你不得不承认
someone that you cared about, someone that you thought loved you,
你关心的人,你以为爱你的人
someone that you loved yourself, would do something that heinous and hurtful.
你自己爱的人,会做出这么令人发指,伤天害理的事
But hearing him actually plead no contest to the charges,
但听到他实际上对指控没有抗辩
to me that was just every ounce of me knowing that John killed my sister.
让我知道了这一点,他杀了我妹妹
If you were accused of murder, are you gonna take that no-contest plea?
如果你被指控谋杀,你会接受无异议抗辩吗?
No.
不会
John Ackroyd is guilty.
约翰·阿克罗伊德有罪
Kaye Turner's killer is behind bars.
杀害凯伊·特纳的凶手已入狱
But what about the other victims?
但其他受害者呢?
Who will speak for those who have never been found,
谁来为那些一直没有找到的人说话
who's deaths remain unsolved?
谁的死亡仍未破解?
They were silenced in life.
她们在生活中被噤声
Can they be heard now?
现在可以听到她们的声音了吗?
I was retired from the DA's office,
我从地方检察官办公室退休了
and I missed a large portion of my job,
我耽误了很大一部分工作
I read that the previous DA had opened up three cold cases.
我读到上一个地方检察官已经公开了三个悬案
「梅丽莎和希拉案悬案调查员,琳达·斯♥诺♥」
And that he was forming a task force to investigate them.
他正在组建一个特别工作组来调查它们
And so in May of 2009, I said I would love to help your cold case task force.
因此在2009年5月,我说我很乐意帮助你们的悬案特别工作组
We started looking into the Melissa Sanders and Sheila Swanson case.
我们开始调查梅丽莎·桑德斯和希拉·斯旺森的案子
What I wanted for Melissa and Sheila was to have someone held accountable.
我希望有人为梅丽莎和希拉负责
I wanted to solve it for the girls and for their families and for the community.
我想为这些女孩和她们的家庭以及整个社区解决这个问题
I mean, this community has had this black cloud hanging over them of these murdered girls.
我的意思是,这个社区一直笼罩着这些被谋杀女孩的阴云
At the crime scene, Sheila and Melissa were found about 50 feet off of Hayes Creek road.
在犯罪现场,希拉和梅丽莎在距离海斯克里克路约50英尺的地方被发现。
I'm thinking that the one body was over in this area,
我记得一具尸体在这片区域
and the other was about 50 feet away, just on the other side of that stump.
另一个在大约50英尺外,就在树桩的另一边
The medical examiner could not determine cause of death.
法医无法确定死因
But he did note that there were several large fissures
但他注意到有几处大的割裂伤
in one of them's abdomen and one of them's chest area,
在其中一个人的腹部和一个人的胸部
that could be indicative of a knife wound.
这可能表明有刀伤
They found near Sheila's body part of a rivet.
他们在希拉的尸体附近发现了一枚铆钉
- The girls wouldn't have a rivet. - Right
- 女孩们不会有铆钉 - 对的
Why would they have a rivet?
为什么她们会有铆钉?
「 梅丽莎和希拉悬案调查员,罗恩·本森」
But a mechanic would.
但机修工会的
One of the things they also found was a beaded seat cushion
他们还发现了一个串珠座垫
and that was something almost all of the ODOT coworkers had
这几乎是所有俄勒冈交通部门同事都有的
and that was missing out of Ackroyd's truck when it was searched.
搜查阿克罗伊德的卡车时,这个不见了
Around the time the girls were reported missing,
在女孩们被报失踪的那段时间
one of the few ODOT workers that worked after hours.
少数几个加班的俄勒冈交通部门员工之一
- They couldn't say the exact time. - Right.
- 他们说不出确切的时间 - 对的
Somewhere between ten to midnight.
大概在十点到午夜之间
They heard the door bang.
他们听到门砰的一声
And so they went out to see who it was.
于是他们出去看看是谁
And there was Ackroyd getting out of his truck,
阿克罗伊德从他的卡车里出来
and his arms are covered in dried blood from the tip of his fingers to his elbows,
他的手臂从指尖到手肘都沾满了干血
on both arms.
两只胳膊上都有
Wow, man, what happened to you?
哇,伙计,你怎么了?
You're afraid when you see something like that.
当你看到这些时,你会害怕
The first reaction is that they got hurt.
第一反应是他们受伤了
「约翰·阿克罗伊德的同事,乔治·约翰逊,俄勒冈州交通部」
Second reaction from what they said, "That was way too much blood to be his."
他们说的第二个反应是,“那么多的血,不可能是他的”
And he told them, "You know, I was coming back from Newport,
他告诉他们,“你知道,我从纽波特回来的时候”
and some guy had hit a deer and I helped him salvage some meat."
“有人撞了一头鹿,我帮他捡了点肉”
And they didn't think anything of it until John gets arrested
直到约翰被捕,他们才想起来
and they found the bodies in the area where John had been working.
他们在约翰工作的地方发现了尸体
We were building a really good circumstantial case.
我们正在构建一个很好的关联案例
We really were gaining momentum
我们开局良好
and moving forward.
继续推进
And then all of a sudden,
然后很突然
Ackroyd dies.
阿克罗伊德死了
「78年谋杀案被判刑的男子死在监狱」
I was really taken aback by that.
我真的大吃一惊
Because it kind of stopped what we were trying so hard to do.
因为这让我们一直努力做的事停了下来
We failed because he died, so we didn't get there fast enough, you know.
我们失败是因为他死了,所以我们没能及时到达那里,你知道
We just didn't get there fast enough.
我们只是到达那里的速度不够快
The thing that was the most disturbing was that Sheila and Melissa go missing
最令人不安的是希拉和梅丽莎失踪了
the night of May 3rd, 1992.
1992年5月3日晚
John Ackroyd is arrested on June 12th, 1992.
约翰·阿克罗伊德于1992年6月12日被捕
They came so close to missing him.
他们与他擦肩而过
When the two young girls died,
当两个年轻女孩死了
I felt like we failed.
我觉得我们失败了
「拉昌达案警长副手,马克·福斯特」
Completely.
彻底失败了
Because we left the guy on the street,
因为我们把那个人留在了街上
and he did it again.
他又这样做了
In order to be considered a serial killer, you have to have killed
被认定连环杀手,你必须杀死
three or more people.
三个人以上
So finding out that John Ackroyd murdered Sheila and Melissa,
因此,发现约翰·阿克罗伊德谋杀了希拉和梅丽莎
put him in that category.
就把他归入了那一类
There were a cluster of disappearances that occurred in the late 70's
70年代末,发生了一系列失踪事件
off of Highway-20.
20号♥公路附近
John Ackroyd started working for the Oregon Department of Transportation
约翰·阿克罗伊德开始为俄勒冈州交通部工作
in January 1978.
在1978年1月
In his position as an ODOT driver, I'm sure he's coming across women who were stranded
以俄勒冈交通部门司机的身份,我相信他会遇到被困的女人
and need road-side assistance.