She'd get upset, you know,
她会发火,你知道的
how dare I even ask that question?
我怎么敢问这个问题?
And then, I think, one of the last times when I asked my mom,
然后,我想,最后一次当我问我妈妈时
"Do you think John could do it?" And she...
“你认为是约翰干的吗?” 然后她...
I think she was cooking breakfast,
我想她正在做早餐
and she threw down the spatula and she's like,
她放下刮刀然后她说,
"I don't know, Byron, you tell me.
“我不知道,拜伦,你告诉我”
Did John do it?
“是约翰做的吗?”
'Cause I want to know, too."
“因为我也想知道”
Somebody said, "Did you see The Perv?"
有人说,“你看到变♥态♥了吗?”
And I'm like, "No."
接着我说,“没有”
They're like, "That's the guy that murdered that girl."
他们说,“就是那个家伙杀了那个女孩。”
And I'm like, "What?
然后我说,“什么?”
What do you mean?"
“你是什么意思?”
So that's when I found out
所以我才发现
John Ackroyd and The Perv were the same person.
约翰·阿克罗伊德和变♥态♥是同一个人
At last, after decades,
十来年后
the monster has been caught.
恶魔被抓住了
But he leaves one final heartbreak
但他让追捕他的人
for his pursuers to find.
心碎至极
「1992年6月,约翰·阿克罗伊德被捕」
「 1992年10月」
It was just five months
五个月
after the girls went missing when they found the bodies.
从女孩失踪到她们的尸体被找到
That was devastating.
这非常骇人听闻
You know, you wonder how much they suffered.
你想知道她们遭受了多少的折磨
How could I have helped her?
我怎么样能帮助她?
How could I have stopped it?
我怎么样能阻止它?
This whole thing still...
这整件事一直...
「梅丽莎和希拉的朋友,露丝·巴特利」
I mean, it hurts and it angers me
我的意思是,这很痛苦也激怒了我
after all this time.
经过这么长时间
And I just...
我只是...
It's sad and I'm never gonna be at peace with it
这很悲哀,而且我永远不会平静下来
because it's not okay.
因为这不太好
I have nightmares to this day.
直到今天我都做噩梦
I can hear her voice calling to me.
我能听到她在呼唤我的声音
And it's hard.
这很难
Sorry.
抱歉
It's affected me my whole life, as a mom.
它影响了我作为一个母亲的一生
I mean, their moms will never be the same.
我的意思是,她们的妈妈永远不会和从前一样了
I knew exactly that it was him.
我很清楚是他
It fit all the patterns.
它符合所有的要件
He worked on that route.
他在那条路工作
So I went and talked to the Lincoln County
所以我去了林肯郡
and said, "Hey, you really need to take a look at this cat,
对他们说,“嘿,你真的需要看看这家伙”
he's done this and this and this and we're at this point in our investigation."
“他做了这个这个还有这个,我们正处于调查阶段”
And you can't say, "Hey, now, listen damn it, this is the only way.
你不能说,“嘿,现在,听着,该死的,这是唯一的方法”
We're right, you're wrong."
“我们是正确的,你们是错的”
It doesn't work that way.
这样不行
「1992年10月,梅丽莎和希拉的尸体被找到」
Two more women, eternally silenced.
又是两个女人,永远沉默了
Will the monster ever be stopped?
这个恶魔会被阻止吗?
Will they finally trap him?
他们最终会困住他吗?
「 1993年10月」
他撒谎了
关于所有的材料
他与凯伊·特纳的接触
他对警♥察♥撒谎
「地方检察官,比尔·汉伦」
他企图隐瞒
他和凯伊·特纳接触的事实
One of the most significant moments was when we played
最有意思的是我们播放了
the interview that Ackroyd did.
阿克罗伊德的采访
He told this TV guy, he said, "Yeah, they know who killed Kaye."
他告诉一个电视台的人,他说,"是的,他们知道谁杀了凯伊
What's his name?
他叫什么名字?
Roger.
罗杰
Roger?
罗杰?
I think Beck.
我想是贝克
Friend of your?
你的朋友?
Not really. He's a friend of friends of mine.
真不是,他是我朋友的朋友
It's his best friend, you know.
那是他最好的朋友,你知道
「凯伊·特纳案地方检察官,比尔·汉伦」
His ex-wife and Ackroyd had been main squeeze in high school.
他的前妻和阿克罗伊德在高中时是最好的朋友
It just shows that he was just totally.
恰恰表明他完全是
Totally trying to avoid any culpability.
完全逃避罪责
Good evening, it's October the 5th, a Tuesday, 1993. I'm Mike Smith.
晚上好,今天是1993年10月5日,星期二,我是迈克·史密斯
And I'm Carrie Gilman. John Ackroyd is accused of killing Kaye Jean Turner
我是凯莉·吉尔曼,约翰·阿克罗伊德被指控杀害了凯伊·让·特纳
almost 15 years ago, as Turner was jogging on Christmas eve in Camp Sherman.
在大约15年前,当时特纳于圣诞节前夕在谢尔曼营地慢跑
This afternoon both prosecution and defense gave their closing arguments,
今天下午,控辩双方进行了结案陈词
and now, will await a verdict.
现在,等待判决结果
这就是为什么我要对你说
「地方检察官,杜安·麦卡贝」
约翰·阿克罗伊德
不知道他看见谁在慢跑
但在与警方多次接触之后
宣传结束后
在广播报道了
在电视报道
贴完海报后
他相信自己
就是这样
His job is to put doubt in the mind of the jury.
他的工作是让陪审团打消疑虑
And if he can create enough doubt, they'll find him not guilty.
如果他能产生足够的疑点,他们会判他无罪
这就是我在说的
排除合理怀疑的证据
那在哪里?
你有证据证明
至少有两种凶器
在受害者凯耶·特纳身上
女士们先生们,她不只是中枪
她不只是被捅了...
「助理总检察长,道格·道森」
她中枪了,还被刺伤了
正确的机率
是极其巨大的
I didn't watch the jury.
我没有看陪审团
When they walked in, I didn't have any indication from them what they were gonna do.
当他们走进来的时候,我没有从他们那里得到任何指示
If we weren't successful,
如果我们没有成功
he was gonna kill other women.
他将会杀了别的女人
A jury tonight has reached its decision in the trial of John Arthur Ackroyd.
陪审团今晚对约翰·阿瑟·阿克罗伊德的审判作出裁决
Ackroyd was convicted this evening of killing Kaye Jean Turner.
阿克罗伊德今晚被判杀害了凯伊·让·特纳
Another man charged into the death of Turner will have a separate trial,
另一名被控杀害特纳的男子将接受单独审判
beginning on April 18th.
将4月18日开始
「杀害尤金女子被判终身监禁」
He buried himself.
他葬送了自己
His lies throughout all the way to the end,
他的谎言自始至终
all of those lies just... just aggregated to bury him.
所有这些谎言只是...只是聚集起来葬送他
「凯伊·特纳案地方检察官,比尔·汉伦」
Kaye's husband Noel Turner thought the sense of relief
凯伊的丈夫诺尔·特纳以为这种解脱的感觉
would be much greater than it is.
会比现在大得多
You know, I feel like justice has been served.
你知道,我觉得正义得到了伸张
But it's not like the total weight's off your back.
但并非如释重负
I mean, maybe it's just gonna be there.
我的意思是,也许是刚刚开始
Mom got off the phone and stuff and I was, like, "What's up?"
妈妈打完电♥话♥,我就说,“怎么了?”
「拉昌达的哥哥,拜伦·皮克尔」
And she's, like, "John got convicted of the murder of Kaye Turner."
她说,“约翰被判谋杀了凯伊·特纳”
I'm like, "Whoa."
我说,“哇”
'Cause at that time that's when I'm starting to, kind of, shift.
因为在那个时候,我开始转变
Like, "I don't think this guy is innocent."
说,“我不认为这家伙是无辜的”
My mom was trying to justify it.
我妈妈试图证明这一点
When we talked with her and tell her that we thought John was probably responsible
当我们和她交谈并告诉她,约翰可能负有罪责
「拉昌达·皮克尔案侦探,威尔·麦卡纽提」
for Rachanda's death.
对拉昌达的死
She would get on board with it then drift back to whatever her basic default was,
她会接受这一点,然后又重回原点
supporting John or just doing what he said.
支持约翰或者只是照他说的
I don't think it took very much for John Ackroyd to control Linda Ackroyd.
我认为约翰·阿克罗伊德没费劲就控制住了琳达·阿克罗伊德
For 20 years, Ackroyd rots in prison.
阿克罗伊德在监狱里蹲了20年
20 years, questions go unanswered.
20年来,问题没有答案
John Ackroyd had been in prison for, you know, several years.
约翰·阿克罗伊德已经在监狱里呆了好多年了
「拉昌达案侦探,迈克·哈蒙」
We get word there was some possibility that he would get paroled.
我们得到消息说他有可能被假释
They say, "In cold cases, time is your friend."
他们说,悬案,由时间昭告
People's opinions change.
人们的想法♥会♥发生变化
I was hoping I would go talk to John and he would have a change of heart.
我希望我能去和约翰谈谈,他会改变主意
[警方询问约翰·阿克罗伊德]
2012年11月20日
How can I get John Arthur Ackroyd to actually talk to me
我怎么能让约翰·阿瑟·阿克罗伊德和我说实话
without giving me a line of crap?
而不给我一句废话?
[警方询问约翰·阿克罗伊德]
这么说吧
对切尼下手的人
已经在监狱里
那个人可能知道