It sort of sits on its own, quite isolated.
这家餐厅坐落在重山之间
Between the mountains, there's this restaurant
就像是
just, like, there,
被上帝放在了那里一样
as if it was almost placed there by God.
我进了楼下的酒吧
I went into the downstairs bar.
我看到一个人独自站在烤架前
I could see a man alone on the grill.
很大块的木头被送进炉子里
Giant pieces of wood would go into the oven.
余火未尽的木块被拿出来
Hot embers would be coming out.
食材被放到不同烤架上
Ingredients would go on different grills.
滑轮上下转动
Pulleys would go up and down.
维克多的料理手法非常轻松
The way in which Victor cooked was effortless.
看起来像是某种舞蹈
It was almost like a form of dance.
这个男人在与火交流和起舞
This man conversing and dancing with fire.
我想学习他的做法
I wanted to learn how to do that.
维克多出来看了我的简历
Victor came out and looked at my CV,
询问我的经历
asked about my experience.
他比较关注的一点是
The one thing he was quite keen about
他不在乎米其林星级
was he wasn't interested in Michelin Stars.
这对我很不利 因为我会的就是这一套
And it was so opposing for me because that's what I had to offer.
不看那些米其林餐厅
Like, take away the Michelin restaurants,
我就没有别的东西了 只有我自己
I didn't have anything else, I just had me, you know,
还有我为此付出的各种努力
and all the hard work I could throw at it.
但他嘟哝了几句
He grunted a little bit,
说:"好 你明天开始上班吧"
and says, "Okay, you can start tomorrow."
刚开始跟维克多一起工作...
When I started working with Victor,
我觉得...
it was...
很奇怪
bizarre.
他不会说英语
He didn't speak English.
我不会说西班牙语
I didn't speak Spanish.
你能看到他在做很多事情
You could see there was a lot going on there,
但他不是那种会跟你演示
but he was never the kind of guy who was gonna demonstrate something
或者讲解的人
or show you something.
所以我觉得最佳的学习方式
So, I felt the best way to learn
是尽可能地跟在他身边工作
was to work alongside him in every capacity.
维克多每天一早就开始工作了
Victor would start early in the morning,
无论他多早开始 我都跟着一起
and however early Victor would start, I would start.
我会试试你的想法
I'm gonna try this idea of yours,
把它们连壳一起烤
cooking these in the shell.
对 在那边多放一点油...
Yeah, if you put more oil in that one side...
-这里? -对
Here? - Yeah.
-对 -对 然后...
Yeah. - Then...
-把它们放进去 -把它们放进去
Sit 'em there? - Sit 'em in there.
这多棒呀?
How good is that?
观察维克多就是最好的学习
Watching Victor was my greatest reference point.
我觉得应该好了
Should be ready.
-正好 可以 -对
Just about. - Yep.
看到你能这样操控火焰...
Seeing how you could manipulate fire...
这些食材用其他方式烹饪会很寡淡...
all these ingredients dulled by other methods of cooking...
但被火激发了活力
are suddenly... enlivened.
漂亮的蛤蜊
Beautiful clams.
美味的龙虾
Amazing lobsters.
鲜活的虾
Live prawns.
你以为你很了解一种食材
You think you know an ingredient,
但用明火烹饪完全是另一回事
but cooking over fire's a whole new ballgame.
会拓宽你的眼界
Just opens your eyes.
我一下子便从中获得了新生
It suddenly gave me a new lease of life.
很好吃吧?
Pretty good, yeah?
美味极了
Incredible.
在餐厅里吃到螃蟹的时候 我们不会想到...
When we get crab in the restaurant, we don't appreciate it until...
-要费多大力气才能抓到它们 -要费很大力气
You do the hard work getting it. - All the work.
在海滩边烧烤是最好的方式
Cooked over a fire is the best way.
说得对
That's right.
早些年
In those early days,
我们决定自己尝试
we'd embarked on a mission to set ourselves apart
烧烤一切食材
and try and grill everything.
我们会把一种食材放到烤架上
We would take an ingredient and put it on a grill
看会有什么反应
and see what the reaction was.
火焰会有什么反应? 食材会有什么反应?
How would the fire react? How would the ingredient react?
它们能很好地结合在一起吗?
Would there be a marriage?
我们中会有人说点什么 你会觉得: "噢 这也太荒唐了"
One of us would say something, you'd think, "Ridiculous."
然后你会想:"为什么不试试呢?
Then you think, "Well, why not?
我们要是把
Like, what if we grill
你能想到的最金贵的食材放到火上 会有什么效果? "
the most delicate ingredient you can think of, subjecting it to fire?"
(马洛索鱼子酱)
我们不知道这样做行不行
We didn't know if it would be any good.
有几个人在探讨烧烤鱼子酱是否可行
There was a couple of people who were disgusted by the idea of grilling caviar.
"你这么做不尊重鱼子酱 完全是胡闹"
"Not respecting the caviar, you don't know what you're doing."
刚开始尝试时 它吸收了太多热量
In our early efforts, there was too much heat being transmitted.
所以我们找到了漂亮的本地海带
So, we got some beautiful, local seaweed.
把它放在烤架之上
Let's place the seaweed in between the two,
把鱼子酱放到海带上
and sit the caviar on top of the seaweed.
这么做
And that was
带来了质的飞跃
a game changer.
它过滤了海的各种味道
It filters all the flavor of the sea,
但保留了海带里的部分水分
but allows a certain amount of moisture in the seaweed
保护了上面放的鱼子酱
to protect the caviar that sits above it.
当它吸收了余烬的热度之后
And by the time it's just warmed over the embers,
风味就完全改变了
the flavor profile has completely changed.
它变成了另一种东西 甚至有些缥缈
It transformed into something else, like, almost ethereal.
我们花了一年的时间完善它
It took an entire year to perfect,
在那期间 我们两个人
and during that period of time, the two of us
连结更紧密了
intertwined.
我们无时无刻不在一起
We spent every waking moment together.
我们是朋友
We were friends,
他是我的老板 我的哥哥
he was my boss, he was my brother,
从某种意义上说也是我的父亲
my father, in other respects.
那应该是我人生中创造力最强的时期
It was probably the most creative period of my life.
(烤鱼子酱)
你觉得捕虾很简单吗
Would you say prawning is easy
还是你觉得这像呼吸一样自然?
or something you're used to, like breathing?
这种事只能在工作中学习
It's something you can only learn on the job.
对
Right.
所有渔夫都会说... 前十年是最难的
And all fishermen would say it's... the first ten years are the worst.
你要花费至少十年 才能弄明白自己在做什么
It takes you at least 10 to get some idea of what's going on.
你要是坚持到了十年以上...
If you pushed through 10 years, if you make it...
你的意志必须要很坚强...
You have to be determined to survive.
对
Yeah.
不然这个产业会将你排除在外
If you're not, the industry will soon sort that out for you.
哇哦
Wow.
伦诺克斯在新乡餐厅的同时
The time that Lennox was at Etxebarri
它就是在那个时期
coincided with when it went from...
由被一部分食客
being sort of an interesting restaurant
所谈论 悄悄流传的
that nerdy people,
有趣的小餐厅
were talking about and sort of whispering about,
进入到了另一个层次
to being in another level.
长久以来 这都是一家口口相传
For a long time, it was that word of mouth,
老食客们才会去的餐厅...
inner foodie sort of place to go to.
但随着餐厅的进步
But as the restaurant progressed,
你会被列入名单并且向上爬...
you get on lists, and you climb up lists and...
大家会来寻找这家餐厅
people started seeking out the restaurant.
然后 餐厅一旦吸引到
And then, as soon as it got on the radar
安东尼博戴恩的注意...
of Anthony Bourdain...
这绝对是我吃过的最棒的一餐之一
Absolutely one of the great meals of my life.
我知道你为什么要呆在这儿了
Now I know why you stayed here.
这家餐厅就变得更出名了
...the restaurant became even more popular.
大家会从很远的地方赶来 因为他们看到这家餐厅
People would travel far and wide because they'd seen this restaurant
然后觉得:"哇 这看起来太好吃了"
and they'd gone, "Damn, that looks incredible."
然后...
And then...
我们获得了米其林评星
we got the Michelin Star.
我觉得很有成就感
For me, it was very rewarding.
我的辛勤付出得到了肯定
All the hard work was being recognized.
想要吗 孩子? 吃虾吗? 吃虾虾吗?