And he said, "Congratulations.
我们入选 詹姆斯比尔德的决赛名单了"
We made the James Beard finalist list."
我颇感震惊 走了出去
In utter shock, walked out...
还没回过神来
trying to gather myself.
我的心跳突突的
Heart's beating a mile a minute.
他们说 "你得去芝加哥"
They said, "You have to go to Chicago."
我参加了晚会
I got to the ceremony.
我坐在观众席上
I'm sitting there in the audience.
玛莎斯图尔特在场
Martha Stewart's here.
安德鲁齐默恩也在
Andrew Zimmern's here.
都是美食界的大人物
These are the big names in food.
意义重大啊
This is huge.
然后该颁发东南部最佳厨师奖了
Here comes Best Chef Southeast category.
他们开始宣布名单
They call the names.
我想要深呼吸
And I just try to take a deep breath.
接下来 他们就开始拽我了
The next thing, they were tugging me.
大家说 "快站起来 你赢了"
Saying, "You gotta get up, you won."
我旁边的一排人 我的妻子和尼克 都在为我欢呼
The whole row beside me, my wife, Nick, were cheering me on.
灯光聚焦在我身上
The lights, just like, boom.
他们把奖牌挂在我的脖子上
They put this award around my neck.
我说: "我曾以为这是遥不可及的梦想"
I said, "Here's that dream that you thought was out of reach."
你们好吗?
How y'all doing?
我仿佛回到了17岁
I went back to 17 years old.
我仿佛听到那位年轻女士跟我说
And I went back to that young lady that told me,
"你无处可去 只能去街角"
"You're not going anywhere except right down the road."
我想到她 然后说...
I thought about her and I said,
"你都不知道自己在说什么"
Didn't even know what she was talking about."
我妈妈会很骄傲的
My mom would be proud.
(羽衣甘蓝)
(外婆炸鲶鱼)
来看看这两块
Check these two right here.
那块
That one.
夹走吧
Take it.
(烧烤排骨)
(猪肉配罗德尼酱)
一定要撒到围栏里 别太分散了
Make sure you get it in the pen. Don't scatter.
(艾克的猪肉小三明治)
你觉得怎么样?
What do you think?
很好
Yes.
恰到好处
Stop right there.
(奶酪意面)
(外婆香蕉布丁)
(罗德尼全猪烧烤)
看到这里了吗?
See right here?
我们把这里划开
We score this
这样热量和烟味就进去了 对吧?
so the heat and the smoke flavor can get down in here, right?
这里不需要 这里是比较瘦的腹肉
There's no need. That's all thinner belly meat down there.
所以我们要用刀划开
So, we make sure they're open with the blade.
像这样
Like such.
让烟能够进去
Give the smoke a chance to get in.
好吗?
Okay?
把脂肪扯下来 不要扯肉
Pull the fat out, but not the meat.
用力扯
Pull.
看到了吧?
See?
我的儿子 他总是梦想着
My son, he tends to dream about
什么时候 他能掌权 他能接手
when he's in charge and when I'm gonna take over.
我们现在允许他进烧烤间了
And when we let him in the pits now,
他做起事来特别专注
he's so focused on what he's doing.
把这块肉划开
Score the meat.
你跟他解释一些东西的时候 他会非常专注
You're explaining something to him, he just focuses in.
很快就能完全掌握要点
Before you know it, he got it locked.
那调味呢?
What about seasoning?
现在还没调味 好吗?
No seasonings yet. Okay?
-全部吗? -抓住这里
All of that? - Now grab it-- grab it here.
直接向后扯
Just pull it straight back.
继续扯
Keep pulling.
对罗德尼来说 他的家庭把生意交给了他
For Rodney, his family was passing that business on to him.
但罗德尼想发展壮大
But Rodney wanted to grow.
他的家人只能放手
His family had to let go.
这很不容易
That's hard.
对他的家人 对罗德尼 都很不容易
I think-- It's hard on the family, it's hard on Rodney.
我和妈妈的关系仍然很好
I have a strong relationship with my mom.
跟我爸就不然了
Dad, not so well.
这是我想弥补的一件事
It is one thing that I would like to set right.
我也努力尝试过
I've made attempts.
有点不成功
Was a little unsuccessful.
我能想到的唯一解决办法
The solution that I can come up with
就是继续下去
was to just carry on.
继续向前
Keep on moving forward.
让温度升起来吧
Let temperature build up.
关上吧
Close that off.
他从父亲那里学到的东西...
The things he learned from his dad...
他在继承家族传统
he's carrying on that family tradition.
只是在遵循自己的方式
Just doing it his way.
各位 你们好吗?
How we doing, folks?
-很好 -很好
Good. - Good, good.
我们来自路易斯安那
We're from Louisiana, man.
路易斯安那 太厉害了
Louisiana? Ooh, that's... That's... That's incredible there.
我总在思考未来
I always think about the future.
我总说 "下面要如何? "
Saying, "What's next?"
一起尝试吧
Let's play with it.
大胆一点
Let's get bold.
我们能走多远?
How far can we take things?
我们能做多少?
How much can we do?
我们可以去多少地方?
How many places can we go?
现在我会去不同的地方
Now I'm traveling to different places.
见不同的人
Meeting different people.
每次坐在飞机上
Every time I get on a plane,
我都会想
I wonder,
会不会也有一个孩子在抬头看?
is there another kid looking up?
我希望他看着镜子说
I want him to look in the mirror and say,
"我能达到自己想要的水平
"I can reach any level I want to
只要我不断进取就可以"
if I continue to strive forward."