随着鼓风 热量的穿透力会更好
With that wind blowing, it's drawing through better.
如果回顾一下德州烧烤的历史
If you look at the history of Texas barbecue,
都是把木头烧成炭
it was taking wood and burning them down to coals,
直接加热烤肉
using that direct heat to cook the meat.
也可以说 就是我们现在所说的山地烧烤
Or doing what we now call Hill Country style barbecue.
在德州中部 斯♥诺♥是为数不多的 坚持古法烧烤的店铺
Snow's is one of those n Central Texas that still does it the old way.
在过去 人们对肉不是很挑剔
Back in those days, people weren't so selective about meat.
基本就是农场主 愿意为大型聚会贡献的东西
It was, what were the ranchers willing to give up for a big party?
如果像她一样 烹饪很小块的肉
And a lot of the smaller cuts of meat that she cooks,
必须更加仔细去料理这些肉
you have to attend to that meat much more often.
杜丝小姐的烹饪技巧 是一种乡村烹饪法
Miss Tootsie's cooking technique, this is kind of country cooking.
猪排
Pork steak,
烤半鸡
chicken by the half,
两种香肠
two kinds of sausage,
火鸡鸡胸
turkey breast.
都是直接用炭火烧烤
It's all over direct coals.
这样做的话 稍不留神 就会失败
There's not a lot of room for error when you do that.
杜丝是真的在用叉子去叉肉
Tootsie is touching the meat with a fork,
检查每一块肉 看看它们的熟成程度
handling each piece of it to check its done-ness.
她还会用拖把给肉刷酱
There's a... a mop sauce that she adds onto it as well,
用她的拖把刷过酱的肉 胜过一切滋味
and there's no better cut of meat that has been mopped with her mop.
杜丝的山地烧烤
Tootsie's Hill Country barbecue.
那是在其他地方很难找到的东西
Not something you're gonna find hardly anywhere else,
因为没有太多的烧烤大♥师♥
because there aren't a lot of pitmasters
愿意把木头烧成炭 再铲进烤炉里
looking to burn wood down to coals and shovel it into pits.
没人愿意付出那种辛苦和努力了
Nobody bothers with that sort of hard work and effort
除了杜丝和斯♥诺♥烧烤店
except for Tootsie and what they do at Snow's.
我毕业之后
After I graduated,
我家的一个朋友让我写信
a friend of the family's asked me to write this guy
给一名叫做怀特的人 他在军队服役
that was in the Army named White,
有一天 爸爸挥手让我回家
and one day Daddy waved me to the house.
我走过去 看到一个穿着制♥服♥的军人站在那里
I walk up and there stands this Army guy in a uniform
我心想 "天啊 他简直太帅了"
and I thought, "God dang, he is nice-looking."
我们交往了四年
We dated four years
直到1956年7月 我们结婚了
until July of '56 when we married.
所以我觉得 我的信可能有回报了
So, I felt like that my letter writing might have paid off.
(城市肉类市场 烧烤 香肠 牛肉 猪肉 鸡肉 排骨)
要纯瘦肉 还是带肥肉的?
Want the lean or some fat?
在1966年
Back in 1966,
我丈夫在吉丁斯的城市肉类市场工作
my husband worked at the City Meat Market in Giddings,
他们人手不足
and they were shorthand.
怀特问我 是否愿意去帮助他
White, he asked me if I would come in and help him.
镀银餐具什么的 在右边的桌子上
Silverware and everything's on the table to your right.
我有三个孩子 是一名专职妈妈
I was a mother at home with three children.
根本不懂什么烧烤
I didn't know anything about barbecue,
但我愿意去尝试和学习
but, uh, I was willing to try and learn.
怀特和我一起工作以后
When White and I started working together,
我开始一点点地学习
I just kind of learned little bits and pieces.
把牛肉切成小块 放在案板上
Cutting up the beef and putting it on the counter.
我会给肉调味 然后帮他放进烤炉
I would season the meat and put it on the pit for him.
我会做各种不同的工作 帮他减轻负担
Different things that I could do that helped him get through the day better.
我跟怀特合作亲密无间
White and I just worked as a team.
(吉丁斯水牛)
你今天怎么样呀?
How are you doing?
-你们今天怎么样呀? -你好 杜丝
You? How are y'all? - Tootsie.
-你好吗? -好久不见
How are you? - Long time no see.
-嗨 亲爱的 -嗨!
Hi, sweetie. - Hidee, hidee!
-德伊勒 你最近还好吗? -我很好
Deidra, doing okay? - I have been.
-好呢 -很高兴见到你
Good. - Good to see you.
很高兴又见到你 不过希望能下点雨
Good seeing you. Wish we'd get a little rain.
天啊 太需要下雨了
God, we need it so bad.
是啊 早上好
Yeah. Good morning.
你好吗 杜丝?
How you doing, Tootsie?
有什么事吗 基基?
What you know, Kiki?
没什么 您要点什么?
Nothing much. What can we get for you?
-给我来点猪肉吧 -猪肉吗?
Give me pork. - Pork?
你们这周都很忙吧?
Y'all been busy this week?
是啊 夫人 特别忙
Yes, ma'am, very.
我开始在肉类市场工作以后
Once I started working at the Meat Market,
我开始发现 我特别喜欢跟人交流
I began seeing how much I enjoyed being around people.
好啦
All righty.
好的 谢谢
Okay, thank you.
谢谢 夫人 祝您今天愉快
Thank you. Have a good one.
好的
All right.
我非常喜欢那份工作 因此我说服怀特 应该把那里买♥♥下来
I enjoyed the work so well I convinced White that we should buy it.
我们周六会做烧烤
We had barbecue on Saturday.
我们认识所有人 跟大家都是朋友
We'd know everyone, we were friends with everyone.
您今天怎么样?
How is you today?
我很好的
I is fine. Are you off?
在市场里 我们是非常亲密的大家庭
At the Market, we were a very close-knit family.
我的孩子们都是在市场里长大的
My children grew up in the Market.
最年轻的赫尔歇 会在烤炉旁帮我
And the youngest, Hershey, would help me at the pits.
跟社区和家人在一起
The togetherness with the community
亲密无间...
and family,
那已经不只是生意了
it was more than just business.
克莱 这扇门坏掉多久了?
Clay, how long has this door been dragging?
几个月了
Couple months.
这些杆子都已经插♥进♥去了
Them rods are all the way in now.
德州烤肉 最经典的还是牛胸肉
Texas barbecue, it really all comes down to brisket.
烧烤牛胸肉 是大块的牛肉烹煮12、14或16小时
Barbecue brisket is big hunks of beef cooked for 12, 14, 16 hours.
我不知道为什么 斯♥诺♥家的牛胸肉
I don't know why a Snow's brisket
那么好吃 那么与众不同
tastes so good and so different.
只要品尝一口 你就会想 "天啊 怎么会这样? "
You take a bite of it, it's like, "God, how did that happen?"
也许在锡纸里面发生过魔法
Maybe some magic that happens within that aluminum foil.
我不知道
I don't know.
在斯♥诺♥ 我们没有秘密
At Snow's, we have no secrets.
我是说 腌料就是盐和胡椒
I mean, our seasoning is salt and pepper.
我没法告诉你 烤炉温度是多少 因为我是用手去感觉的
I can't tell you how hot my pits are because I feel 'em with my hands.
我没有温度计
I don't have a gauge.
如果加一个温度计 我会学着去读数
I guess if I'd put a gauge on, I'd learn to read it
而不是去用手 但是...
and not my hand, but...
我就是那么做的
uh, it's just something I do.
我想这是一种本能
I guess it's an instinct.
德州烧烤...
In Texas barbecue,
烧烤大♥师♥愿意告诉你 他们是怎么做的
pitmasters are willing to tell everything they do to it,
然后他们会坐在那里说 "祝你好运咯"
and then they'll sit back and be like, "Well, good luck."
并不是使用秘密配方去腌制
It isn't about concocting some rub that is your secret ingredient.
秘密就是烧烤大♥师♥本身
The secret is the pitmaster.
随着时间推移 怀特和我肩并肩在肉类市场工作
As time went along, White and I just worked side by side at the Meat Market.
我们经营了20年
We operated it for 20 years.
有一天 怀特和我去医院做颈动脉造影
One day, White and I were in the hospital having a carotid artery dye work done.
他们把他带回病房♥ 我看着他 感觉不太对劲
And, um, when they brought him back to the room, uh, uh, to look at him, he didn't look right.
我跟护士说 "他有点不对劲"
And I told the nurse, I said, "He doesn't look right."
她说 "没事的 他是麻醉刚醒"
She says, "He's fine. He's just coming out from the anesthesia."
我和他在房♥间里坐了两个小时
Well, I sat with him in the room two hours
突然间 他变得一瘸一拐的
when, all of a sudden, he just went limp.
所以我按下呼叫器 我说 "我需要帮助"
So I pushed a buzzer and I said, "I need help in here."
进来了两名医生和三名护士
There were two doctors and three nurses walked in.
然后他们说 "他中风了"
And when they said, "He has had a stroke,"
我是说 我不清楚当时的状况
I mean, I--I just--I couldn't see going on.
我快吓死了
I was scared to death.
中风影响了怀特的精神状况
White's mental condition had been affected by the stroke.
他半身不遂了
He was completely lame on one side.
不能自己站起来 也不能自己站立
Couldn't stand on his own or get up on his own.
他很无助
He was helpless.
部分失明
Partially blind.
我该怎么办呢?
Now what do I do?
医生告诉我 "他一周要接受三次治疗"
The doctor told me, "You know, he's gonna need therapy three times a week."
我们要如何处理肉类市场呢?
What are we gonna do with the Market?
不能自己行走
Not being able to move around
需要24小时护理 每周三次治疗
and needing 24-hour care and therapy three times a week,