I want two pounds in two separate containers.
-杰西 你怎么样? -挺好的
How you doing, Jesse? - All right.
好了
Alrighty.
如果可以 给我来点猪皮和骨头吧
...skin and bones, if you don't mind.
你的在上面 妈妈的在下面
Yours on top and mama's on the bottom.
好
Okay.
可能很好吃 不知道是谁做的 但是...
This is probably good. I ain't know who cooked, but...
不是我做的
I ain't cook it.
继续烹饪吧
Keep cooking, baby.
她要继续烹饪了
He needs to keep cooking.
我父母在海明威开了一家杂货铺
My folks own the variety store in Hemingway.
能给我一瓶水吗?
Can I get a bottle of water?
这座小镇
This tiny town.
被认为是毒品泛滥的地方
We were considered a drug-infested area
不应该去
that you shouldn't go to.
谢谢
Thank you.
谢谢你们
Thank you, ladies.
大家总是误以为 海明威非常糟糕
There was misconceptions about how bad Hemingway was.
其实这里挺安宁的
When in all actuality, it was pretty quiet.
主要就有一个十字路口 三个红绿灯
It's mostly a crossroads with three traffic lights.
最近的大城市
The nearest major city,
是南卡罗来纳州的查尔斯顿 相距两小时的车程
Charleston, South Carolina, is two hours away.
杂货铺是一个聚会场所
The store was a meeting spot.
(禁止吸毒或穿平底便鞋)
门口有长椅 人们就在那里闲逛
We had church pews in the front where people just kind of hung out.
后面是烧烤炉
In the back was the barbecue pit...
我们下午烤制全猪 卖♥♥三明治
where we did the whole hogs and then sold sandwiches in the afternoon.
我的父亲是一位严父
My dad was a tough parent.
他认为人就要忙起来
He believed you had to be busy.
就要努力工作
You have to work.
少年时
My teen years,
我就是一心工作
I didn't do anything but work.
伐木
Cutting wood.
烧炭
Making coals.
最后 我父亲教我如何烧烤全猪
Eventually, my dad taught me how to cook a whole hog.
大家都希望
It was just expected that
我能延续传统
I would carry it on.
大部分时间 我都是一个人度过的
Majority of my time was spent alone.
从来没有乐趣可言
It was never to have fun.
总是在工作
It was always work.
一直如此
All the time.
我被困在了这座小镇
I was stuck in this place, in this town.
-早啊 亨利先生 -早上好
Morning, Mr. Henry. - Good morning.
怎么样啊?
How's it going?
给他剪得清爽一点
Get this one here tightened up before...
好的
All right.
赶在他上学之前
Before he get to the school.
好的
Right.
老杰在做什么?
So, what ole J up to?
忙着呢
Busy.
他想转变成只接受预约
He was trying to switch over to appointments only.
-所以... -天啊
So... - Man.
效果还是很不错的
That's working out.
在海明威长大 根本做不到那样的
Growing up in Hemingway, we couldn't do that.
-是啊 -只能坐在那里等着
Nope. - You had to sit and wait.
先来先得
First come, first serve.
所以去一趟理发店...
That trip to the barber shop can be...
有可能要花一天
An all-day deal.
可能半小时 也可能一整天
30 minutes to all day.
可以闲聊这周都在做什么
Discuss whatever you've been doing all week,
下周打算做什么
what you got planned for the next week.
去理发店时 必须做好准备
Had to be ready when you go to the barbershop,
准备待上一段时间
be prepared to stay a while.
是啊
Yep.
高三时 我们举♥行♥了毕业典礼
My senior year, we had the graduation ceremony.
我就想 我该何去何从? 我要从事什么职业?
I'm wondering, which way am I gonna go? What am I gonna do with my life?
(海明威高中)
我们一起庆祝 大家拥抱 拍照
We celebrated, everybody hugged, took pictures.
一切安好的样子
Things are gonna be great.
这时一位年轻女士走过来
That's when this young lady came up to me
她对我说 "我不知道你为什么要庆祝
and said, "I don't know why you're celebrating.
你也只能去街角烤猪了"
The only place you're going is right down the street to cook hogs."
在那之后 我走到我爸爸身边
Right after that, I walk over to my dad.
(欢迎来到老虎球场)
他看着我说
And he looks at me and he says,
"你今晚得工作
"You have to be at work tonight.
十二点"
Twelve o'clock."
我坐在那里想 "哇哦
I'm sitting there, like, "Wow.
这是我的毕业典礼 我还要直接去工作"
This is my graduation, I gotta go straight to work."
我感觉我的梦想被剥夺了
I felt like my dreams were taken away.
我只能去街角烤猪
I'm just gonna be down the street cooking hogs.
这就是我的生活
This is my life.
(出口)
就这样了
That was it.
-来看看这头猪 -好的
Let's check this hog. - All right.
到这一步以后 就可以生火了
Once we get it on at this stage, we can fire it up
随它去烤了
and let it go.
我们可以让温度达到我们的要求
We can get the temperature up to get it where we want it to,
至少170至180华氏度 要保持高于这种温度
at least 170, 180, keep it above that.
是的 我们得让温度再高一点
We definitely need to get it hotter.
如果可以这样摸
When you can do this...
就代表还不够热
...it ain't hot enough.
温度还得再高一点
We want it hotter than that.
我们再取一些木炭
Let's grab some coals.
放在肩膀和大腿
Hit the shoulders and the hams.
前面一满铲 后面一满铲
Full shovel across the front, full shovel across the back.
先放腿部吗?
Hams first?
放到里面去
Go all the way across.
放到后面
The back.
-这里吗? -放到里面
Here? - All the way up.
好的 明白了
Oh, I see it.
在很长一段时间里 我都很沮丧
For a long time, I was frustrated with
对自己的生活感到沮丧
what was going on with my life.
我的大部分时间都用来整晚烤猪了
Majority of my time was spent cooking hogs all night long.
我很迷茫
I felt lost.
然后 我爸爸中风了
And then my dad had a stroke.
我们都必须做出调整
We all had to make adjustments.
只有我和我妈妈负责这里了
Just me and my mom in charge of this place.
所以我得想个办法
So, I gotta figure this out.
我全身心地投入到学习中
I dedicated myself to trying to learn every little thing
尽我所能去学习经营的方方面面
that I can about the business.
怎样吸引人?
What-- What's appealing?
外观应该如何?
How should it look?
口味应该如何?
How should it taste?
我妈有一辆浅蓝色的凯迪拉克
My mom had this light-blue Cadillac,
卡罗来纳蓝色
Carolina blue.
我说"如果把外墙涂成这种颜色呢? "
I said, "What if we use this color on the building?"
这样就能吸引人们的注意力了
We can capture people's attention.
然后我想到 在上菜之前
Then I had this idea to pull the hogs off
把整头猪搬出来
just before service.
如果让它保持热度 香气就会一直弥漫在空气中
If you kept it coming off hot, that aroma was always in the air.
人们就想吃了
People would just want it.
但我父亲那边
With my dad,
总会有一些阻力
there was always a little pushback.
"不要改了 一直都是这样的"
"Leave it alone. It's been like this."
就像一只握紧的拳头
Like a closed fist.
他想按自己的方式行事
He wanted it his way.
我想去不断革新
I wanted to make things better.
先暂时放在这里吧
Set it right here for a minute.
所以...
So...
我们把烤炉放到这里吧
let's put our pit a little bit right here.
好的
All right.
-尺寸是多少? -我们只造一个烤炉