(真值五金店)
(罗德尼斯科特全猪烧烤)
普通厨师会去餐厅用品商店 购买♥♥所需的东西
The chef heads to the restaurant supply store to get what he needs.
我的情况完全不同
My situation is completely different.
我需要铁丝网 需要斧头
I need hog wire, I need an ax.
这是我做烧烤所需要的
This is what I need to cook barbecue.
烧烤不同的地方
Part of barbecue that's different
在于烟熏的味道
is the smoke.
燃烧木材的香味
The aroma of the wood burning...
那是最吸引人的
it gets your attention.
你会不禁去想
You can't help but wonder,
什么情况呀 这些烟是从哪里来的
what's going on, where that smoke is coming from.
人们会蜂拥而至
People just pour right in.
亲人 朋友
Family, friends,
有时还有陌生人
sometimes strangers.
这就是烧烤
That's barbecue.
NETFLIX 出品
NETFLIX 原创纪录片系列
在过去二三十年里
There's been an epic change
美国餐饮业发生了翻天覆地的变化
on the American culinary scene about the last 20 or 30 years.
其中很大一部分 是试图探索什么是美式烹饪
A big part of it has been the attempt to discover what an American cuisine is.
我们对世界饮食文化有什么贡献?
What have we contributed to world food culture?
这自然会让我们想到烧烤
That naturally leads us to barbecue.
没有什么食物比烧烤
There's no other food that speaks as articulately
更能清楚地讲述这个国家及其人♥民♥了
about this country and its people than barbecue.
如果你在卡罗来纳州
If you're in the Carolinas,
那里有一项传统
there is this tradition
那就是全猪烧烤
of whole hog barbecue.
整头猪要烹饪12小时
They cook a whole hog over a 12-hour period.
这跟用烤架烤热狗或汉堡是不一样的
It's not the same as putting hot dogs or hamburgers on a grill.
那是一种更高的层次
You're taking it to a much bigger level.
是一项艺术
It's an art.
是非常困难的
It's very hard work.
没有什么捷径
There's no shortcuts.
很少有人真正明白这种技术
Very few people really understand the technique.
全猪烧烤是农村地区的传统
Whole hog is a tradition of rural areas.
只有罗德尼斯科特
Rodney Scott is one of the only people
还在烹饪这种烧烤
doing this kind of barbecue.
没有罗德尼这种人
Without somebody like Rodney,
我们现在就要失去这种传统了
we wouldn't have the tradition to enjoy it now.
这不是他从书本上学到的
Not something he learned from a book.
罗德尼以此为生
Rodney lived it.
他11岁就开始制♥作♥了
He started when he was 11.
这是与生俱来的
And it's very innate.
我觉得就像是不会识谱的伟大音乐家
I equate it to a great musician that doesn't know how to read music.
他能感受到
He feels it.
罗德尼斯科特就是全猪烧烤
Rodney Scott is whole hog barbecue.
(罗德尼斯科特)
(罗德尼斯科特烧烤 南卡罗来纳州查尔斯顿)
把头部放到一边吧 别挡着我们
Let's move the head out of our way.
好的 大厨
Yes, chef.
试着把它翻过来吧
And try to get a little roll on him.
横过来
Take that back in that way.
可以了
I'm good.
好了 我们生火吧
All right, let's fire it up.
这些天 我早晨是这样安排的
My morning routine these days,
5:30到6:00起床
I wake up around 5:30, six o'clock.
在附近散步
And take a walk in the neighborhood.
散步时 我会思考
On this walk, I'm thinking,
昨天所做的事情 有哪些是今天可以改进的?
what did I do yesterday that I can improve on today?
我以前看过很多故事
I used to watch a lot of stories,
一些人能够白手起家
where people would come from rags to riches,
就是因为他们从不放弃
because they never gave up.
他们始终努力向前
They just kept striving forward.
所以我经常告诉自己 每天都是好日子
So, I'd always tell myself every day's a good day.
虽然不会事事顺心
It don't always go as smooth as we want.
但生活要靠自己创造
But life is what you make it.
你们怎么样呀?
How you folks doing?
我看待世界的眼光 永远是积极的
My glass is gonna be half full at all times.
无论遇到什么情况 我都会充分发挥
I'm gonna make the best of every situation.
我要确保每天都是好日子
I'm gonna make sure that every day is a good day.
-非常完美 -太感谢了
Perfect. - Thank you so much.
均匀撒到所有猪都能吃到的地方 以免它们打架
Scatter it where all can get some and don't have to fight.
尽量不要撒到水里
Try not to get it in the water, now.
都洒出来了
You're spilling it.
看到了吗? 抓一把
See? Look, scoop...
扔出去
throw.
在这么冷的夜晚
When it's cold like this,
它们就会依偎而眠
they all sleep together real tight.
为什么?
Why?
这样才能抱团取暖
That's how they stay warm.
吃吧
Take some.
每天放学以后 我就做这件事
So, this is what I did every day after school.
需要确保它们有水喝
You had to make sure they had water.
需要确保它们有玉米吃
Make sure they had corn.
然后还要去做作业
Then you had to do your homework.
摇一摇
Shake, shake, shake.
确保一次成功
Make sure you got it.
好了 全都撒出去吧
All right, now finish up.
如果说到全猪烧烤
If you look at whole hog barbecue,
那是一项南方人的主要传统
we're talking about a tradition largely Southern,
主要是黑人制♥作♥
and largely done by black people.
在种植园里 他们意识到
On plantations, they realized hogs,
猪肉不仅美味
in addition to being delicious
还是廉价的食物来源
would also be cheap sources of food.
这是喂饱人们的最便宜的方法
That was the most inexpensive way to feed people.
在南卡罗来纳州 这成为了一项传统
And it became a tradition in South Carolina,
婚礼要吃 家庭聚餐要吃
weddings, family reunions,
圣诞节要吃一头 感恩节也要吃一头
and everybody had a hog for Christmas and they had a hog for Thanksgiving.
我们直接用炭火烤制全猪
We cook the whole hog directly over coals.
为了得到木炭 必须去家里农场的某个地方
And to get the coals, you had to go somewhere on the family's farm
砍下一两棵树
and cut a tree or two down.
用斧头劈开
Split it with an ax.
然后放到一个大桶里烧制
And then you had to burn the wood down in a barrel.
我们会把猪肉的一面放在下面
We'd take the hog and put it on meat side down.
我们只烤后腿和肩膀
We only fire the hams and the shoulders.
其他地方也会跟着慢慢烤熟
The rest of it would just slowly cook along with it.
猪的脂油滴在滚烫的炭火上
The fat of the hogs drips into the hot coals.
味道又飘回猪身上
The flavor goes right back up into that hog,
所以就有那种烟熏脂肪味了
so you have this smoky, fatty flavor.
然后只需要取下整猪的不同部分
And then you grab different portions of the whole hog.
把肉分离
And you just pull it apart,
腰部 腹部 肩膀 大腿
the loin, the belly, the shoulders, the ham,
直接把这些放到一起
and you just put it together in a bite.
然后就可以美餐一顿了
And man, you're in for a heck of a meal.
我在南卡罗来纳州的海明威长大
Growing up in Hemingway, South Carolina
周围都是农场和田野
surrounded by farms and fields...
还有树木
trees...
整天看到的 只有邮递员
the only thing you saw throughout the day was the mailman...
或者是另一个路过的农民
or maybe another farmer passing through.
我是独生子
I was an only child.
没有兄弟姐妹
No siblings.
只有罗德尼
Just Rodney.
许多时候 在家没有人
Many days, there was nobody home.
有时在泥泞的街道玩耍 能听到头顶有飞机飞过的声音
Sometimes playing out in the dirt road, you hear a plane overhead.
我总是抬头看 然后想...
I would always look up to see and wonder...
里面是什么人呢?
who's in it?
他们要去的地方有多远?
How far is this place that they're going to?
他们能看见我吗?
Can they see me?
我说 "我也想开飞机"
I said, "I wanna ride on one of those."
(罗德尼斯科特烧烤 南卡罗来纳州查尔斯顿)
23.46美元
Twenty-three, forty-six.
杰西 来跟我说说话 宝贝
Jesse, go ahead and talk to me, baby.
我要两磅 分开打包