What are the dimensions? - We're building a single pit.
可以架高一点
We can go up...
差不多要到这里
get ready to come back here.
要结实密封
It's gonna be nice and tight.
足够把整头猪放进去
Enough room to get that hog in there.
一头猪吗?
One hog?
有一种理论认为 美国烧烤
One of the theories about the origins of American barbecue
起源于南卡罗来纳州
is that it has to come from South Carolina,
因为只有南卡罗来纳 有各种不同的酱汁传统
because only South Carolina has all of the different sauce traditions
这些酱汁可以在国内其他地方找到
that you find in other parts.
黄芥末酱
The mustard sauce,
番茄酱
and ketchup sauce,
还有香醋胡椒酱 罗德尼就是这么做的
and the vinegar and pepper sauce, which is what Rodney does.
在南卡罗来纳州 这些都有
You have all of this in South Carolina.
我对吃全猪烧烤的最早记忆
My earliest memories of eating barbecue
就是跟我妈站在一起
is standing beside my mom.
她会分拆猪肉
She would be pulling the pork.
她总是知道 该把哪一部分给我
She always knew which part to give me
不会太辣 我能接受
that wasn't too spicy for me.
长大一点以后 我开始想要吃点辣了
When I got a little older, I started to want a little spice.
现在我做的酱料 可是很重口味的
Now the sauce that I make is not mild.
罗德尼说 如果酱汁恰到好处
Rodney talks about when the sauce is right,
会让你想要亲吻 想要撅起嘴唇
it makes you wanna kiss it, gives you a pucker.
但可能更重要的
But perhaps more important
是那种平衡感 把酱汁涂在肉上
is the balance when you apply that sauce to the meat
然后盛在面包上
and it's served on this bread.
把它们放在一起 你会说 "这是出自大♥师♥的作品
You put all together and you say, "Oh, this is the hand of a master
他知道自己使用的所有元素 必须保持平衡"
who realizes all the elements he's working with have to be in balance."
他知道如何去平衡味道
And he's figured out how to balance them.
夹这两块吧
Let's get these two.
看看这块
Check this one.
还有那块
And that one.
夹走吧
Take him.
然后我要看看这边的两块
For the next spot, I wanna check these two right here.
夹走吧
Take him.
进行改革以后 我们更忙了
After the changes, we got busier.
不知不觉间
Before you knew it,
我发现有些人是从其他地方来的
I noticed people coming from different areas
就为了来吃烤肉
just to get the barbecue.
口碑就这样建立起来了
That's how word got out.
我们从每周卖♥♥出一头猪
We went from that one hog a week
发展到每周卖♥♥30头
to a point where we were doing about 30 hogs a week.
一天下午...
One afternoon,
我们出去伐木
we're out cutting wood.
我妈打来电♥话♥说 "有个人打电♥话♥找你
My mom calls. She says, "This guy called.
他想写一段报道什么的"
He wants to write a story about the times or something."
我说 "妈妈 拜托具体一点 什么报道呀? "
I said, "Mom, be specific. What is it? What's this times?"
她说 "好像是《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》
She said, "Something about New York Times.
他说他要给你打电♥话♥"
He says he's gonna call you."
"好的 妈妈 没问题"
"Yes, ma'am, okay."
我有一部预付费手♥机♥ 我知道还剩几分钟时间
I had a prepaid cell phone that I know only had a few minutes on.
那人打来电♥话♥
This guy calls.
我心里想
I'm like,
"你想说什么 拜托快点说
"Please hurry up and say what you've gotta say.
快点吧 以免电♥话♥没有时间了"
Hurry up. This phone call's gonna shut off."
我们聊了一下
We had this conversation,
约好时间见面 我就把电♥话♥挂了
set up the date to show up, and I hung up.
电♥话♥提示 我大概还剩9分钟
The phone said I had about nine minutes left.
我说 "也就是15分钟热度
I said, "Fame is only 15 minutes.
我们还剩9分钟 赶紧去工作吧"
We got nine left, let's go to work."
《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》的约翰来找海明威
John T from The New York Times came to Hemingway.
我在烤猪
I fired my hogs.
他在记录
And he took notes.
我们出去散步
We hung out.
我们彻夜长谈 像是旧相识
We talked all night long as if I'd known him forever.
然后他说 "好了 素材够了"
Then he said, "Okay, I have enough."
然后他就走了
And he left.
我想就这样了
I figured that was it.
他写了一段报道
He wrote the story.
(美国风味 猪肉 烟熏 烤炉:慢火出美食)
电♥话♥立刻响了起来
The phone immediately started ringing.
(仅存的全猪烧烤店)
我们接到来自纽约的电♥话♥
We were getting calls from people in New York.
还有一通电♥话♥来自外国
There was one call from some foreign country.
太不可思议了
It was amazing.
很多人看到了这段报道
This story reached so many people.
(斯科特一家为坚持传统而自豪)
从此一炮而红
It just blew up from there.
好了 罗德尼
All right, hot rod.
跟上次一样的配方 一样的味道
Same recipe as last time, same flavor profiles.
好的
Okay.
烹饪时间更长了 苦味能少点 好吗?
Cooked them a little bit longer, less bitter, okay?
我不喜欢那种苦味
I don't like that bitter.
菜茎很嫩 有一些肚腩肉
Stems nice and tender, got some belly meat.
我喜欢你现在的做法
I like what you're doing.
这盘加一点罗德尼特色酱汁
Rod sauce on this one.
这就能说服我尝一下?
Is that supposed to help convince me to taste them?
我跟你妈聊过了
I talked to your mom.
-她说应该多吃蔬菜 -天啊
She said... you should eat your greens. - Golly.
-她也那么跟我说 -我知道
She told me the same thing. - I know.
我每次都很抗拒
As I resisted every time.
-好了 -好的 我尝尝
All right. - I'm gonna do this.
来一口吧
Here we go.
-好吃吗? -你觉得怎么样?
Good? - What do you think?
揉搓以后很不错
With the rub, yeah.
感觉软烂了
They feel tender.
就这样了
That's it.
我也觉得
I think so, too.
好的 我们就这样吧
Okay, let's go with this.
我是从《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》上 知道罗德尼斯科特的
I learned about Rodney Scott from The New York Times.
他吸引了我的注意力
It got my attention.
所以我来到海明威
So, I visited, uh, Hemingway.
罗德尼工作的努力让我大吃一惊
I was taken aback by how hard Rodney worked.
你能感觉到 他所做的每一件事都倾注了爱
You can feel the love that's been put into everything that he does.
尼克问了我一个问题
Nick asked me the question,
"等《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》的文章热度衰减了
"Once that article from The New York Times starts to get old and yellow...
罗德尼斯科特将何去何从? "
where will Rodney Scott be?"
我不知如何回答
I had no answer.
他说 "为什么不在查尔斯顿 开一家餐厅呢? "
He said, "Why don't you open up a restaurant in Charleston?"
对我来说 那是陌生的
To me, that was foreign.
在海明威 很少有人拥有好几家餐厅
In Hemingway, you didn't talk to people with multiple restaurants.
我觉得自己有责任照顾家族生意
And I felt responsible for making sure the family business was okay.
他还没有做好准备
He just wasn't ready to go.
所以我给罗德尼的另一个建议是...
And so, my other recommendation to Rodney was...
"在查尔斯顿 做一顿烧烤大♥师♥晚餐怎么样? "
"How about cooking a pitmaster dinner here in Charleston?"
我们每年都会选一位烧烤大♥师♥
We featured a different pitmaster each year.
我从没在外面做过烧烤
Never cooked away from home.
感觉有点害怕
It was a little scary.
我们建好烤炉
We set up the pit.
晚餐门票全部售罄
Sold out dinner.
他们寄希望于我的烧烤能有高水准
They're counting on me to make sure my part is on point.
人群开始拥挤起来
The crowd starts to fill in.
有一些大人物
There was some serious VIPs.
我真是胆战心惊
I'm terrified.
我拿起我的食材
I pick up my ingredients,
我的手就这样僵住了
and I freeze with it in my hand like this.
完全茫然了
Lost it.
我看着人们在等着品尝烤猪
I'm looking at all these people waiting on this hog.
所有眼睛都注视着我
All eyes on me.
我只想逃离那里
I wanted to just run out of there.
然后我想 我就放手一搏吧
Then I thought, "I'm just gonna throw a Hail Mary here."
我开始给烤猪调味
I started seasoning that hog.