(吉丁斯)
在工作日 我是学校校工
During the week, I work as a custodian.
我努力保持忙碌 完成自己份内的体力活
I try to stay busy with manual things that I have to do.
我只是勤杂工 但我努力帮助学校越来越好
I'm just one little peon, but I try to help the school along.
周五晚上上♥床♥睡觉时 我的闹钟会设定在凌晨一点
When I go to bed on Friday nights, my alarm is set for 1:00 a.m.
我会在两点到达列克星敦
And I get to Lexington at two.
我把肉准备好...
I put the meat on...
这样一来 八点钟 我们就可以营业了
so eight o'clock we're ready for business.
烤肉和校工的工作
Barbecuing, working at the school,
让我保持年轻 让我思考 "接下来要做什么?"
it keeps me young, it keeps me thinking, "What next?"
即使这把年纪 我也尽力做到最好 我也继续工作
I do the best I can at the age that I am, and I keep rolling.
NETFLIX 出品
NETFLIX 原创纪录片系列
德州有很多标志性的美食
Texas has a lot of iconic foods.
辣椒是我们州的特色食品...
Chili is actually our state food...
但没有人会因为辣椒去驱车旅行
but nobody goes on chili road trips.
在德州 是烧烤让人们有了这种想法
In Texas, it's barbecue that... that brings that out in people.
我们对烧烤拥有共同的热爱 让人们想要四处旅行...
We have this shared love of barbecue that makes you want to go travel around...
品尝各种不同的餐馆
visit these different restaurants,
尝试不同风格
try the different styles.
人们会开车三个小时...
You drive three hours,
早晨八点就到达...
you show up at eight o'clock in the morning,
结果发现人们已经在排队了
the people are already in line.
一路开车而来的人 他们的期望
People who drive all that way, they aren't doing it
不是品尝在奥斯汀或休斯顿 也能吃到的东西
so they can get the same they can get in Austin or Houston.
他们要吃不同的东西
They're getting something different.
我第一次开车前往斯♥诺♥烧烤店时...
The first time I went, all that way to Snow's BBQ,
立刻就被打动了
it... it really just blew me away.
风味十分特别
This is special.
(斯♥诺♥烧烤店 德州 列克星敦)
感谢大家的到来
Appreciate everybody.
如果需要什么帮助 不用犹豫 尽管喊我们
If we can get you anything, don't hesitate to holler.
男厕所在围栏旁边 女厕所在屋里
Men's bathroom's here against the fence, ladies' in the building.
冰柜里装满了啤酒 各位可以自己拿
Ice chest full of beer there, y'all help yourself.
来斯♥诺♥烧烤店 能感受到一种能量
There's an energy about coming to Snow's.
凯瑞贝克斯利 他是店主
Kerry Bexley, he's the owner,
他走来走去 给大家分发冰镇啤酒
he's walking around handing out cold beers...
喊出中奖号♥码
...calling out raffle ticket numbers.
54号♥
Fifty-four.
你可以排到队伍最前面了
You can have a trip to the front of the line.
你可以得到一件T恤或一顶帽子 打九折或者一瓶酱汁...
You can have a T-shirt or cap, 10% off or bottle of sauce...
拿到烤肉 再回来
Getting the food and coming back,
桌子就在烤炉旁边
the tables look right over the pit area.
很快你就会意识到 去斯♥诺♥烧烤店的真正原因之一
And soon you realize that really part of the whole event of going to Snow's
就是因为著名的烧烤大♥师♥
is... the famous pitmaster,
杜丝妥曼奈茨
Tootsie Tomanetz.
杜丝做厨师已经有50多年了
Tootsie's been cooking for over 50 years.
她是烧烤界的偶像
She's an icon in the barbecue community.
她是我见过的工作最努力的人之一
And she is one of the hardest working people I've ever met.
85岁高龄
At 85 years old,
依旧站在炉火旁边
standing next to a giant fire,
用铲子铲着木炭 汗流浃背...
scooping those coals with a shovel, sweating like crazy...
对于35岁的人来说 这种工作都是非常痛苦的
it's a process that is just incredibly painful for a 35-year-old to do,
更不用说85岁的人了
let alone an 85-year-old.
她已经处在行业巅峰了
This is a woman who is at the top of her craft.
2008年 斯♥诺♥烧烤店 被评为德州烧烤店第一名
In 2008, Snow's was named the number one spot in Texas barbecue.
我认为这主要是因为她做的烤肉
And I think a lot of that is the fact that so many cuts of meat that she cooks
不仅好吃 而且很特别
are not just good, but, like, special.
当你知道 她为烧烤付出了多少努力时
And when you know how much effort went into that barbecue,
最好的回报就是 长途跋涉来到斯♥诺♥烧烤店
there's no greater reward for taking a long trip to a barbecue joint
跟杜丝拥抱一下
than a hug from Tootsie.
我在一个小镇长大...
Growing up in a small town...
每年有一天
one day a year
我们会举办一次社区野餐
we would have a community picnic.
大家会炸鸡
Everybody fried up chicken,
准备土豆沙拉
and they had potato salads
还有露莓馅饼
and dewberry cobblers.
下午 我们会打棒球
And in the afternoon, we'd play baseball.
回想我们曾经拥有的乐趣...
To think back, the fun that we had...
我很怀念
I miss that.
如今 我们彼此距离太远了
Nowaday, we've moved too far away from each other.
似乎每个人的节奏都太快了
It seems like everybody's too fast,
匆匆忙忙 没有时间
in too big a rush, and don't have time.
烧烤能让大家聚在一起
Barbecue brings people together.
让人们有更多的时间去见面
It gives the people time to visit with each other more.
人们会放慢速度 互相交谈
People just kind of slow down to speak to one another
多看看生活的美好的一面
and look at the bright side of life.
很多人没有意识到 这是一种多么美妙的感觉
A lot of people don't realize what a wonderful feeling that is.
你以为一大早出来吃烧烤
So, you think the idea of coming out this early in the morning
这种想法很荒谬
for barbecue is ridiculous,
等你坐下来 吃了几口 你就会想
you sit down, take a couple bites, and you're like,
"好吧 这就说得通了"
"This all makes sense."
给我来九斤
Let me get ten pounds.
圈选出44头
Forty-four pick up. Forty-four pick up.
-你好吗? -我很好 你好吗?
How are you? - Good, you?
蛮好的
All right.
明天我去不了教堂了
I ain't gonna make it to church tomorrow.
好吧
Oh, okay.
如果回到19世纪
If you go back in the 1800's,
德州烧烤不算一种食物 而是一项活动
Texas barbecue wasn't so much a food, it was an event.
如果说起烧烤 那就是全镇的人聚到一起
If you talked about a barbecue, the whole town was gonna come together
庆祝某件事情
to celebrate.
他们庆祝美国独♥立♥日
They were gonna celebrate the Fourth of July,
有时甚至是圣诞节
sometimes even Christmas.
或者一条铁路终于通到镇里了
A rail line might finally make it to a town.
他们会进行庆祝 举♥行♥烧烤宴会
That would be their celebration, a big barbecue.
(烧烤)
在德州中部 这项传统一直延续着
Here in Central Texas, that tradition has gone on and on.
(失落松林烧烤店)
周六烧烤 完全是德州的特色
Barbecues on a Saturday, it's totally a Texan thing.
这是附近地区每周都有的活动
It's just a weekly event around the area.
无论什么时候 只要你打算烧烤
Anytime you barbecued, it's just another reason
就多了一个亲朋好友聚会的理由
to bring friends and family together.
这就是烧烤的意义
That's what it's about.
对我们来说 杜丝的烧烤就是全部体验的一部分
For us, that's Tootsie's cooking, part of the whole experience.
我还记得小时候去杜丝小姐家吃午饭
I remember as a kid going and having lunch at Miss Tootsie's.
我记得她从冷藏室里出来 肩上扛着一块牛肉
I remember her coming out of the cooler carrying a quarter side of beef on her shoulder,
扔在案板上 开始用刀切
and throwing it down, going to cutting.
这就是我童年的一部分
That was a part of my life growing up,
也是我现在的一部分
and it's still the same today.
大家都认识她
People know who she is.
知道她做烧烤有多久了 知道她经验丰富
They know how long she's been doing it and the things she's seen.
杜丝小姐就是这样赫赫有名
And that's the legacy of Miss Tootsie.
我是在农场长大的 当时正是大萧条末期
I was raised on a farm just at the end of the Depression,
我是三个孩子中的老大
the oldest of three children.
我们住在乡下...
We lived out in the country,
世事艰难
and times were tight.
我们不会去镇上买♥♥杂货
We didn't go to town and buy groceries.
因为我们家庭拮据
The money was just too short for that.
我们五个人做各种工作
It was just us five doing all the work.
衣服是在家缝制的
The clothing was home sewn.
我们种了桃树 所以我们做了很多桃子罐头
We had peach trees, so we canned a lot of peaches.
冬天时 我们会宰杀自己养的猪
Wintertime, we butchered our own hogs.
我们学会了自力更生
We learned how to make things work without help.
学会了自己处理各种情况
We were taught to handle the situation ourselves.
我觉得 这是我的训练
It was my training, I guess.
让我充分认识到 我可以处理
It gave me the fullness of knowing that I can handle
各种各样的事情
quite a bit of stuff.
我可以照顾好自己
I can take care of myself.
所以我总是感觉很...
So, I have always felt very, uh...
独♥立♥
independent.
我要把盖子盖上 让热量保持在里面
I'm gonna shut that top to hold that heat in a little bit.
好的
Okay.