抹着酱料
I mopped it.
着手去做
Just do it.
结果非常完美
It came out perfect.
跟我交谈的宾客都很高兴
Guests that I talked to were happy.
能够满足那群人
To satisfy that crowd,
感觉非常令人欣慰
it was very relieving.
我就想 "你知道吗?
I'm thinking, "You know what?
我做到了
I can do this.
下一步要做什么?
What's next?
我们能走多远? "
How far can we take it?"
我觉得可以了
I think we're good.
就放这里
Right about here.
2013年11月
November, 2013.
正值感恩节周末
It's Thanksgiving weekend.
那是重要的节日 我们努力把食物准备好
One of our biggest days, trying to get food out.
我们差不多...
We have about...
要烤制23头猪和40只火鸡
23 hogs cooking and about 40 turkeys cooking.
当时大约是凌晨4:20
It was about 4:20 in the morning.
负责烤炉的工人打电♥话♥来说...
My pit guy called me and said,
"烤炉着火了"
"The pit is on fire."
距离杂货铺大约有30分钟的车程
It was about a 30-minute ride to get to the store.
那是有史以来最漫长的路程
That was one of the longest trips ever.
到那以后 我看到许多消防车
When I got there, you see all these firetrucks.
当地人都已经聚到那里了
The locals were already out there.
场面一片混乱
It was chaotic.
有肉烧焦的难闻气味
It was the horrible smell of burnt meat.
木头烧焦的气味
Burnt wood.
整栋建筑都付之一炬
The whole building burnt down.
我心想 我完蛋了
I'm, like, completely finished.
我现在要怎么办?
What am I gonna do now?
大火之后 情况相当艰难
After the fire, it was pretty tough.
我没有足够的钱来维持生意了
I didn't have enough money to fix this business.
我要怎么处理这一切?
How am I gonna take care of all this?
我开始打电♥话♥
I started making calls.
给约翰T和尼克 他们说...
John T and Nick, they said...
"你觉得做临时餐厅怎么样?
"What do you think about making pop-up appearances
筹集资金 恢复经营"
to raise funds to get yourself back together?"
我说 "这值得一试 我们试试吧"
I said, "It's worth a shot. Let's try it."
我们从查尔斯顿开始
We started in Charleston.
然后又来到亚特兰大
From there, went to Atlanta...
纳什维尔
Nashville,
再转到密西西比的牛津市
over to Oxford, Mississippi.
一直往南到路易斯安那州的新奥尔良
Way down south to New Orleans, Louisiana.
穿越整个国家
Back across country.
最后再回到查尔斯顿
Finish up again in Charleston.
这是一次为期18天的巡回烧烤之旅
It was about an 18-day tour.
我们称之为"罗德尼斯科特大逃亡"
We called it "Rodney Scott in Exile."
很多人都来看罗德尼
A lot of people
were coming to see Rodney.
罗德尼在街上做饭 人们站起来
Cooked out on the street, and people were standing up,
为他鼓掌
giving him an ovation for it.
我们都心想
We were like,
"天啊 这是真的吗? "
"Holy shit, is this really happening?"
太不可思议了
It was amazing.
我感受到很多爱
There was a lot of love.
得到很多支持
A lot of support.
我发现人们关心我们的事业
I found out that people cared about what we did.
那种感觉很棒
A great feeling.
-我要扔几根进去 -最好打开吧
Gonna throw a couple sticks. - Open it.
-好了 烧起来了 -是啊
Yeah. - Oh, yeah.
开始等待吧
Hurry and wait.
就是这样了
That's what it is.
有一次 我用了五个小时 就烤好一头猪了
One time, I cooked a hog in five hours.
只有三个目击者 我还是其中之一
Only got three witnesses. I'm one of 'em.
五个小时
Five hours,
围着烤炉
on a pit.
三天前 我把一些燃着的木炭
Three days ago, I'd left a few coals...
放到了箱子里
...going in the box.
火焰从我的锅里冒出来
Flames coming out of my cooker.
我当时还在高速上 车速75迈
I'm going down highway about 75,
旁边轿车的司机跟我说
and this car comes and he's like,
"伙计 你着火了! "
"Hey, man, you're on fire!"
我说 "我的轮胎吗? "
And I was like, "My tire?"
"不是 你着火了! "
"No, you're on fire!"
我说 "里面烤着肋排呢"
I was like, "I got some ribs on there."
我当时想...
I was like...
我的天啊 结果加油站的伙计跟我说
And the dude, only thing was, guy at the gas station was like...
"我能来一块肋排吃吗? "
"Can I get one rib?"
我就说 "我觉得还没烤好呢"
And I was like, "I don't think they're ready."
你要啤酒吗?
You want a beer?
不了 我得慢点喝了
Nah, gotta slow down.
再喝下去 就要酒后吐真言了
You might hear truth if I keep drinking.
这才是关键 这就是烧烤
That's the point. What barbecue's about.
喝得太快 就撑不了太久了
Drink too fast, you definitely won't last.
慢点烤 慢点喝
Cook slow, drink slow.
好吧 这应该能让我们坚持一段时间
Right. This should hold us a little while.
巡回烧烤之旅非常成功
The tour was a success.
我们赚到8万美元
We raised $80,000.
我们用来建造新的烤炉房♥
We applied it towards rebuilding this new pit house
一共有20个烤炉
with a total of about 20 pits.
一切都是按照 斯科特在海明威烧烤的模式布置的
Everything set up the way it needed for Scott's barbecue in Hemingway.
尼克打电♥话♥来问我的情况
Nick gets on the phone to check on me.
再次提出关于查尔斯顿的问题
The question of Charleston came up again.
我一次次地追问他
I beat him down, constantly.
来查尔斯顿开餐馆怎么样?
How about coming to Charleston and cook here?
我说 "你知道吗?
I said, "You know what?
机不可失啊"
Opportunity doesn't knock all the time like this."
当我与家人交谈时 我向他们保证 会是两处独♥立♥的业务
When I talked to my folks, I assured them that it would be two separate businesses.
海明威的业务不会变化
Hemingway will still be Hemingway.
我妈妈说 "好吧"
My mom, she was like, "Oh, okay."
我爸爸则是沉默
My dad was kind of quiet.
爸爸教我的每一件事
Everything my dad had taught me,
我都会按照他的方式
I did for a while...
做一段时间
his way.
我接受他的知识
I embraced the knowledge.
我很感激
I appreciate it.
但如果紧握拳头 就没法接纳新事物
But if you keep your fists closed, nothing can come in.
只能固守现有的
You got what you got,
无法得到更多
but you can't get any more.
我想知道 如果张开双手 能得到什么
I wanna see what happens if my hands are open.
新的想法
New ideas,
新的机遇
new opportunities...
都能抓住
they can get in.
我决定迈出这一步 开始着手去做
I decided, let's go ahead and do it.
把餐厅开起来
Open 'em up.
感谢选择罗德尼斯科特烧烤 准备好就能点餐了
Thank you for choosing Rodney Scott's BBQ. Order when ready.
我很好 你呢?
I'm doing well, and yourself?
只要烤肉 还是三明治?
You want the plate or the sandwich?
好的 就这些吗?
All right. Will that be all for you?
请继续向前开
Please drive forward.
不客气
You're welcome.
谢谢你们 非常感谢
We appreciate y'all. Thank y'all so much.
谢谢您的光顾
Thanks for coming.
来到查尔斯顿的大舞台
Coming to a pretty big stage in Charleston,
得到了很多人的关注
got the attention of a lot of people.
人们看过罗德尼斯科特的报道 然后说 "我们想试试"
They read about Rodney Scott's and they go, "We wanna try it."
顾客从世界各地前来
People were coming from all over the world.
一天早上 我们在餐馆进行准备
We're setting up one morning.
在跟员工说话时 我的手♥机♥嗡嗡作响
My phone's buzzing in the middle of me talking to my staff.
是尼克打来的
It's Nick.
他说 "恭喜你