It's already a great steak cooked it in a pan,
但放在木头生的火上烤
but cooking it over a wood fire
才对得起它的品质
is what it deserves.
它就应该被这样烤熟
It's what it should be.
可以烤出漂亮的脆皮 内部是宝石般的红色
You get this beautiful crust with this jewel-like red interior.
我每天都在餐厅里做牛排
I cook steak every single day at the restaurant
还是会为此兴奋到战栗
and I still get chills down my spine.
这样的牛排
This will be like
你在世界上其他任何地方都吃不到
no steak you've ever eaten anywhere in the world.
你尝到的不是焦糊味
You're not tasting char.
你能吃到食材本身的味道
You're tasting the ingredient.
这道牛排只用到了肉
There's nothing else going on here except meat,
盐
salt,
和技术
and skill.
这块肉非常了不起 会改变你的人生
This is extraordinary meat. It will change your life.
(干式熟成203天牛肋条)
我在英格兰东南部长大
I grew up in the Southeast of England.
那里非常美丽
It's a beautiful part of the world.
我们住在一栋老房♥子里 所以每间屋子都有壁炉
We lived in a very old house, so we had fireplaces in every room.
我可能从小就跟别人不一样
Growing up, I was a bit unusual, I suppose.
有一点奇怪
A little bit of an oddball.
我到哪儿都不是很合群
I didn't really fit in anywhere.
我的学业并不是很优秀
I wasn't at the high end of academia,
我也不太喜欢体育
and I wasn't hugely into sports.
我大概在追求那个时候没有的东西
I was looking for more than I was being offered, I suppose.
在我15岁的时候
When I was 15,
我开始跟着父母在一家乡村旅馆工作
I started working in a Country House Hotel near my parents.
很传统的英式法式餐厅
Very traditional French/English restaurant.
米其林一星
Had a Michelin Star.
那是我进入的第一个厨房♥
My first kitchen I've ever been in.
我被它深深吸引了
I was fascinated by it.
食材会从后门被运进来...
The ingredients would come in the back door,
被做成很棒的东西 从前门被运出去
and then go out the front door, transformed into something amazing.
我一头扎进那个厨房♥里
I immersed myself in that kitchen,
这改变了我的人生
and it changed my life.
我知道我天生就属于那里
I knew I was supposed to be there.
我找到了归属感
I felt part of something.
(斯迪克斯农场 新南威尔士 下波特兰)
现在种的是什么东西?
What have you got growing?
现在是很多欧芹
A lot of parsley.
那边是胡萝卜和大葱
Carrots and leeks over there,
还有西红柿
and tomatoes.
啊 这里有黄金甜菜
Ah, you got some golden beets there.
太美了
It's beautiful.
人们去烧烤餐厅
People go to a grill restaurant,
会期待那里是肉食圣殿
and they're just expecting a large temple of meat.
我想让他们有不同的体验
I wanna give them something different.
对 你会注意到甜味
Yeah, you'll notice the sweetness.
这种甜菜很好
It's a good beet.
-很适合烤制 -对
It will go well on a grill. - Yeah.
你还种了什么?
What else you got?
这是番茄 是俄♥罗♥斯♥黑番茄
These are tomatoes. These are the black Russians.
这些番茄成熟后会是这个颜色 里面是绿色的
So, these will be that color when they're ripe and green in the center.
多年来 蔬菜都被当作
For years, vegetables have been very much treated
陪衬和配菜
as accompaniments and sides.
我的天
Oh, my God.
这是我本季品尝的第一只番茄
First of the season I've tasted.
太棒了
That's beautiful.
我从小就吃蒸蔬菜
I grew up having steamed vegetables.
怪不得小朋友都那么不爱吃蔬菜
No wonder it's difficult to get kids to eat vegetables,
因为它们吃起来味道差不多
because it all tastes the same.
噢 这个太香了
That smells incredible.
但我可以像处理肉一样处理蔬菜...
To be able to treat this vegetable as a piece of meat...
能将蔬菜做出不同的风味
suddenly takes it to somewhere else.
你可以把蔬菜扔到火里
You can throw a vegetable into the fire.
你可以让它在余烬上慢烤
You can bake it slowly in the embers,
它们在被精细烹饪的过程中
and they will take in a lot of the heat and a lot of the flavor
会吸收很多热量和风味
whilst cooking very delicately as well.
连沙拉都在火里走过一遭
Even the salad is touched by fire.
我们会用超高温
We grill all these beautiful lettuces
炙烤这些美丽的生菜
over super intense heat.
甜生菜会变得更甜...
The sweet lettuces get sweeter,
苦菜会焦化
the bitter lettuces caramelize.
生菜就需要被这样处理
It's almost what that lettuce has been missing.
在火门餐厅
At Firedoor,
肉类非常美味
the meat's delicious,
但那不是最令我激动的东西
but it's not the thing that excites me the most,
因为难的是做好蔬菜
'cause the challenge is vegetables.
伦诺克斯用火提炼出大量风味 我觉得这非常神奇
Lennox extracts major flavor using fire, and I find that really fascinating.
人们对沙拉不会有很高的期待
The expectation of a salad's pretty low.
沙拉能好吃到哪儿去?
Like, how good can a salad be?
但实际上 火烤过的沙拉 美味到难以想象
But actually, how great can a salad be cooked over fire.
你选择亲自耕种 我觉得很棒
I'm glad you decided to go into farming.
是的 在厨房♥里待了太久 这样更好
I know. Many hours in the kitchen, this is better.
你厨子当得不赖 但我觉得你更擅长种菜
You weren't a bad chef, but you're a better farmer.
希望如此
I hope so.
我从厨艺学校毕业后
Once I graduated from culinary school,
必须要证明自己
I had to prove myself.
我开始在英国一个 很严肃的法式厨房♥里工作
I got a job working at a very serious French kitchen in the UK.
到了那个级别 所有东西都是军事化精确管理
At that level, things are run with military precision.
你有时候会被吼
Sometimes you're being screamed at
或者被砸东西
or something thrown at you.
我刚过去的时候
When I started there,
负责装饰菜 负责肉类的那个人 会把他的勺子放在炉子上
I was on the garnish. Guy on the meat used to put his spoon on the stove
然后烫我的手臂 让我动作更快
and burn my arm to get me to move faster.
虽然会受到一点虐待
But despite a bit of abuse,
但我那时候总想着要提升自己
I just always wanted to improve and be better than I was.
接受了法式餐厅的训练后
Having trained in French restaurants,
下一步就是去到法国工作了
the next step was to go and work in France.
我获得了一份 在一家米其林三星餐厅的工作
I got a job working at a three Michelin Star restaurant.
那是烹饪界的巅峰
That's the best of gastronomy.
所以我的期待值非常高
So, my expectations were huge.
那家餐厅是一个机器 由庞大的人力运转
The restaurant was a machine with this huge labor force.
会有六个人共同摆盘一道菜
There'd be six guys plating one dish.
那些食物会经过很多道工序处理
The food required so many levels of preparation,
从冰冻到脱水...
from freezing to dehydrating,
一个盘子上有14种味道
14 different flavors on a plate.
最终的成品看上去美极了
By the time it got to its end result, it looks amazing.
但当我尝过之后
But then I tried it.
我没有任何感觉
And it didn't do anything for me.
那么复杂的技术
All this focus was on this technique,
和对食材的处理 都并不引人注目
and the ingredients weren't in the limelight.
我觉得非常幻灭
I felt completely disillusioned.
我终于能在三星餐厅工作
I got to that level of working in a three star
以为自己能找到梦寐以求的东西...
and you think you're gonna find what you dreamed of...
但它并不在那里
and it wasn't there.
我那时候感到很绝望
I was left feeling pretty hopeless.
我现在该去哪儿?
Where do I go now?
我后来在西班牙的一家小酒馆里帮忙
I was helping out in a pinchos bar in Spain,
转变一下节奏
enjoying a change of pace.
一天晚上 酒吧里的几个人
One evening, a couple of guys at the bar,
提到一家烧烤餐厅
they mentioned this grill restaurant.
说了一些 我不知道是什么
Something about, I don't know what it was,
关于一个人
about... there's this guy.
他在山上
He's in the mountains.
他只做烧烤 把所有东西都拿来烤
All he does is grill, and just grills everything.
我必须去看看他们说的这个人
I had to go and see what it was about.
所以我问了他们那是什么地方...
So, I asked the guys what the name of the place was,
那就是新屋烧烤餐厅
which was Asador Etxebarri.
新屋烧烤餐厅
Etxebarri's not located
没有坐落在闹市区
centrally to anything.
它有些与世隔绝