我当时离泰坦尼克号♥沉没的地方很近,因为那里漂着很多残骸。
Then the Leyland Line steamer Californian hove up.
然后,莱兰航运公♥司♥的“加利福尼亚人号♥”蒸汽轮船,也停了下来。
We exchanged messages.
我们交换了信息。
I told them the Titanic had gone down,that I had her passengers.
我告诉他们,“泰坦尼克号♥”沉没了,船上的乘客都在我这里。
They asked if they should search around,
他们问,他们是否还应该四处再搜索一下,
and I said, yes, as we weren't certain
we could account for all the boats.
我说,应该,因为我们不能确定,所有的救生艇都已找到。
It was then 10:50.
这时是10点50分。
I'd like to go back again--a little bit.
我想再回溯一下...稍微回溯一下。
At 8:30, all the people were on board.
八点半,所有的人都上了船。
I asked the purser to hold a service, a short prayer
我请事务长举♥行♥一个仪式,为那些得救的人
of thankfulness for those who were saved, a short burial
service for those who lost.
做一个简短的感恩祈祷,为那些失去亲人的人,做一个简短的葬礼。
Hallowed be Thy name.
愿人们都尊 你的名为圣。
Thy Kingdom come.
当天国降临时。
Thy will be done in Earth as it is in heaven.
愿你的旨意行在地上,如同行在天上。
Floating, sir.
漂在水面上的,先生。
It was the only body we saw.
那是我们唯一看到的尸体。
Was it male or female?
那是个男人还是女人?
Male, member of the crew, I believe.
是个男人,我相信,他是个船员。
Titanic's passengers were still knocking about on deck,
泰坦尼克号♥的乘客们,还在甲板上走来走去,
and I didn't want to cause any unnecessary excitement
or hysteria, so I steamed past.
我不想引起任何不必要的兴奋或歇斯底里,所以我鸣汽笛通过了。
Captain, can you tell us how many lifeboats you came across in total?
船长,你能告诉我们,你总共遇到了多少艘救生艇吗?
We had 15 lifeboats alongside with passengers.
我们有15艘救生艇,载着那些乘客。
There was also a Berthon Boat, which is collapsible.
还有一艘可折叠的贝尔松式小艇。
It had been abandoned.It was badly damaged.
它被遗弃了。它严重受损。
It was in a sinking condition.
它处于下沉状态。
There was-- there was nobody in it.It was empty.
里面...里面没有人。它是空的。
How many people could that have held?
它能容纳多少人?
60 to 75 comfortably.
60到75人,没问题。
Captain, have you concluded that you did not
see the ill-fated ship at all?
船长,你的结论是,你根本没有看到那艘倒霉的“巨无霸”吗?
We arrived an hour and a half after she went down.
我们是在她沉没一个半小时后,到达的。
In your company, who was the master of a ship at sea?
在你们公♥司♥,谁是出海的控制者?
The Captain.
船长。
In absolute control?
绝对地控制?
Absolute control,legal and otherwise.
绝对地控制,既合法又满足其它方面。
No one can interfere.
没有人可以干涉。
And if that had not been so, you would not have felt it proper
to have gone off your course quite so far.
如果不是这样的话,你就不会觉得,偏离你的航线这么远,是恰当的。
Correct.
没错。
Do you regard the route the Titanic was taking as entirely practical
and appropriate at this time of year?
你认为泰坦尼克号♥的航线,在一年中的这个时候,是完全实用和合适的吗?
Quite so.
确实如此。
Even having the warning that icebergs were in the vicinity,
即使有了“冰山就在附近”的警告,
could he not under the circumstances
have altered his course somewhat to avoid them?
在这种情况下,他难道不能稍微改变一下航线,避开冰山吗?
That's impossible for me to tell.
这我可说不准。
All I can say is that he was on the track for the western-bound
steamer, his proper track where he ought to have been.
我只能说,他是在往西行的轮船的航道上,在他应该走的航道上。
At this time of year.
在每年的这个时候。
At this time of year.
在每年的这个时候。
So what would be a safe reasonable speed
for a vessel of that size on such a route
那么,在这样一条靠近冰山的航线上,这种尺寸的船只
in the proximity of icebergs?
安全合理的航速是多少呢?
Well, of course, I do not know the ship.
I know absolutely nothing about her.
当然,我不熟悉这艘船。我对她一无所知。
But how would you have felt yourself about it?
但你自己,会怎么考虑呢?
Suppose you were taking your ship on that route.
假设你的船,沿着那条航线航行。
How fast would you have thought it prudent to go
in such a situation?
在这种情况下,你认为开多快是明智的?
All I can tell you is this, gentlemen.
我只能告诉你们这些,先生们。
I knew there was ice about.
我早就知道,那里有浮冰。
How did you know that?
你是怎么知道的?
From Titanic's message,that she'd struck ice.
从泰坦尼克号♥的信息来看,它触冰了。
And, yet, you still went full speed.
但你还是全速前进了。
I did.
我是的。
Captain Rostron,how many lifeboats do you carry on the Carpathia?
罗斯特伦船长,“卡帕西亚号♥”上有多少救生艇?
We carry 20.
我们载了20条。
In obedience to certain regulations of the British Board of Trade.
根据英国贸易委员会的“明确规定”。
I think it's 20, yes.
我认为载了20条,是的。
The fact that,under these regulations,
事实上,根据这些规定,
you are obliged to carry 20 lifeboats
and the Titanic is only obliged to carry 20
你必须携带20艘救生艇,而泰坦尼克号♥只携带了,“合乎规定”的20艘,
with three times the tonnage suggests that these regulations
were prescribed long ago.
而且吨♥位是条文建议的三倍,这表明,这些规定是很久以前就制定的。
No, sir, it's to do with the ship itself.
不,先生,这和船本身有关。
Uh, they're built nowadays to be practically unsinkable,
and so each ship is supposed to be a lifeboat in itself.
现在建造的船只,几乎是不沉的,所以,每艘轮船本身,就是一艘救生艇。
The lifeboats are put on merely as a standby.
救生艇,只是作为备用。
You say, Captain, that you ran under a full head of steam
toward Titanic.
船长,你说你是在全速奔向泰坦尼克号♥的。
I-- I can confess only this.
我...我只能坦白这一点。
If I'd known at the time there was so much ice about,I should not.
如果,我当时知道周围有这么多冰,我就不会这么做了。
But I was right in it then.
但我是处在当时的情境中。
I also had to consider what I was going for.
我还得考虑,我的目标是什么。
I'll tell you this.
我会告诉你这些的。
Our wireless operator was in his cabin,not on official business at all.
我们的无线报务员在他的舱室里,根本不是在正式值班。
He was simply listening as he was undressing.
他一边脱衣服,一边听着。
Another 10 minutes maybe,he would have been in bed.
再过十分钟,他就上♥床♥了。
We would have missed the message.
我们很有可能,错过这个信息的。
Remarkable coincidence.
非凡的“凑巧”。
Captain, if you take the case of the Titanic, whose tonnage
was far more than that of your ship, which had,
船长,如果你以泰坦尼克号♥为例,它的吨♥位比你的船大得多,
I believe, the same number of lifeboats, in your opinion, how
我想,在您看来,同样数量的救生艇,
many additional boats could that vessel accommodate
without inconvenience?
这艘船能多装多少只救生艇,而不造成不便呢?
I have not the faintest idea,sir, what the Titanic was like.
先生,我一点儿也不知道,泰坦尼克号♥是什么样子。
I believe she's the sister ship of the Olympic, which I once
saw at the end of our dock.
我相信,她是“奥林匹克号♥”的姊妹船,我曾经在码头尽头,看到过它。
You think she could accommodate considerably more, do you not?
你觉得,她应该相应地,能容纳更多人,不是吗?
If she could not accommodate them,
she could be made to accommodate them.
如果她不能容纳他们,她就可以被“造得”能够容纳他们。
How do you account for the fact that the Board of Trade of England,
你如何解释这样一个事实,即英国贸易委员会,
as the size of these ships has increased,
has not compelled an increase in the number of lifeboats?
在这些船只的规模增加时,并没有迫使救生艇的数量也相应地增加?
The maximum, I believe,is 20 boats, is it not?
我想最多是20艘救生艇,对吗?
Yes, I believe it is.
是的,我相信是的。
But they have compelled a different design of the ship.
但它们迫使这艘船,采用了不同的设计。
Captain Rostron,please confirm.
罗斯特伦船长,请明确回答。
They consider the ship itself as a lifeboat?
他们认为,这艘船本身,就是救生艇吗?
Yes, sir.
是的,先生。
That expectation was certainly not realized with Titanic.
显然,这种期望,没有在“泰坦尼克号♥”上实现。
I believe that is all, Captain.
我想就这些了,船长。
I want to thank you for your courtesy
in appearing before this committee.
我要感谢你,礼貌地出席了这次委员会的会议。
You're welcome, sir.
你不用客气,先生。
If there's anything further I can do, I shall be very glad.
如果还有什么我能做的,我将非常乐意。
That's a good first day, wasn't it?
第一天过得不错,不是吗?
Can I get you anything?
你需要点什么吗?
A drink, if you don't mind.
给我来杯酒,如果你不介意的话。
Outrageous!
太可怕了!
That lifeboat was full of women.
那艘救生艇上全是妇女。
I slid down that rope to help them row to safety.
我顺着绳子滑下去,帮助她们划到安全的地方。
I felt it was my duty.
我觉得,这是我的责任。
Major Peuchen,can you comment on as to the recent activities
of Standard Chemical in Europe?
蒲埃岑大副,你能评论一下“标准化学”最近在欧洲的活动吗?
Oh, by the way, gentlemen,anybody see my wallet?
对了,先生们,有人看到我的钱包了吗?
Excuse me, excuse me.
对不起,对不起。
Major! Major!
大副!大副!
Whiskey, please, Bushmills.
请给我来一杯布♥什♥米尔斯的威士忌。
I'm sorry, ma'am.
我很抱歉,女士。
This area is reserved for gentlemen.
这个地方是绅士们专用的。
If you take a seat at one of those tables,
如果你在其中一张桌子旁坐下,
I'd be happy to send someone over to take care of you.
我很乐意派个人去伺候你。
Would you prefer the Senator come over so you could explain
why he's waiting for his drink?
你想让参议员过来听你解释,他为什么还在等他要的酒吗?
Thank you.Now one for the Senator.
谢谢你。现在轮到你给参议员倒酒了。
(《切尔西信使报》大标题:
联邦参议员登上卡帕西亚号♥,并于伊斯梅发生争执)
DUCHESS ASCONTI Dear Senator,
[阿斯康蒂公爵夫人] 亲爱的参议员先生,
I wish to applaud your effort.
我对你的努力,深表敬佩。
电影精选列表