如果是的话,那你就更适合坐上救生艇了。
I find that remark deeply offensive.
我觉得,这句话非常无礼。
What is offensive is that 1,500 of your passengers are dead.
令人不快的是,你的1500名乘客,都“往生”了。
Keine papiere,keine papiere.
没有文件,没有任何文件。
I have no idea what he's saying.
我不知道,他在说什么。
Get back. No, no, get back.
往后退。不,不行,往后退。
We're not finished with you yet.
我们还没说完呢。
I don't understand.What have they done?
我不明白。他们做了什么?
They have no papers.
他们没有证件。
Perhaps,they don't have any. They're just lucky to be alive.
也许,他们没有。他们能活着,就是幸运了。
They could be steerage.We can't let them through with nothing.
他们可能是统舱旅客。我们不可能让他们什么都没有,就通过。
You are correct.
你说的没错。
They should be given food,clothing, and a warm bed.
他们应该得到食物、衣服和温暖的床。
This is Senator Smith, Chairman of the Senate Investigative Committee.
这位是史密斯参议员,参议院调查委员会主席。
We have our orders, Senator.
我们有命令,参议员先生。
Yes, and they'll be changing any minute now.
是的,但它们随时,都可能改变。
Find the Immigration Commissioner
and have him get this process moving.
找到移♥民♥专员,让他加快这个程序。
Let these people in.
让这些人进去。
Good morning, gentlemen.
早上好,先生们。
I'm Ambassador James Bryce with the British embassy.
我是英国大使♥馆♥的詹姆斯·布莱斯大使。
Lightoller, 2nd Officer.
莱托勒。二副。
A pleasure to meet you, gentlemen.
很高兴见到你们,先生们。
I'm very sorry it is under these circumstances.
我很遗憾,在这种情境下,与诸位见面。
Are we going home?
我们是要回家吗?
I'm afraid not at this time.
恐怕,现在不行。
Mr. Lowe, is it?
劳威先生,对吗?
Mm.
是我。
Gentlemen, please know,this is not a trial.
先生们,请先搞清楚,这不是庭审。
This is merely an inquiry.
这仅仅是一次询问。
Yes, but it's being held by the US government.
是的,但这是由美国政♥府♥主持的。
True, a senator from the state of Michigan, to be exact.
没错,准确地说,他就是个,密歇根州的参议员。
Could it lead to a trial?
这会导致庭审吗?
Trial for what?
为什么而庭审?
We hit a bloody iceberg.
我们撞上了冰山。
We are not Americans.
我们又不是美国人。
Explain how this is even legal.
请解释一下,这是否合法。
To be honest, I'm not exactly certain that they
have the right to detain you.
说实话,我不确定,他们是否有权拘留你们。
But Mr. JP Morgan is concerned for his ships,
但是J.P.摩根先生担心他的船只,
and the US Senate holds control over all the American ports.
美国参议院控制着美国所有的港口。
There is a frenzy of interest out there,
现在,外界有一股狂热的兴趣,
and this man Smith is only going to make it worse.
而史密斯这个人,只会让事情变得更糟。
He's a political creature with something to prove.
他是个“政坛动物”,正想要证明自己。
I understand.
我理解。
But what exactly does he want from us?
但他到底想从我们这里,得到什么?
Accountability and compensation for the victims.
对受害者的尽责,及给他们的赔偿。
Is that all?
这就是全部吗?
Give them their compensation. That's what I say.
那就把赔偿给他们吧。这是我这么说的。
Some of these poor devils have lost everything,
有些可怜的人失去了一切,
and they had precious little to begin with.
他们从一开始登船,就身无分文。
They'll only be compensated if White Star and its employees
are found negligent.
只有当“白星航运”及其员工被发现有过失时,他们才会得到补偿。
Are you willing to admit to negligence, gentlemen?
你们愿意承认过失吗? 先生们?
I'm sure you wish to protect your own reputations.
我知道,你们都想保护自己的名誉。
Now the newspapers have not been shy of touting your heroism.
现在,报纸上也不乏吹捧你们“英雄主义”了。
As far as they're concerned, your behavior was all that could be asked
of men in your position.
在他们看来,你们的行为,完全符合你们的这种地位。
In order to deem compensation appropriate,
为了认为赔偿是适当的,
White Star would have to be proven criminally liable
or at the very least reckless.
“白星航运”必须被证明有刑事责任的,或者至少是鲁莽的。
Is that not correct, Ambassador?
是这样吗,大使先生?
Indeed.
确实如此。
Yeah, indeed.
是的,确实如此。
Therefore, we cannot simply ignore our collective interests, gentlemen.
因此,我们不能简单地忽视,我们的共同利益,先生们。
I believe all we have to state are the facts, of which we have few.
我相信,我们所要陈述的都是事实,而我们掌握的很少。
Nothing more should be expected of us.
别再对我们,有什么期望了。
I believe everyone called for is present for today's proceedings.
我相信,所有被要求出席今天会议的人,都到场了。
(1912年4月19日,华尔道夫阿斯托利酒店)
It is a formality that any inquiry called on by the United
States Senate commence with the reading
这只是一种形式,美国参议院在召开任何一次征询时,开始时,
(沉船事件后的四天)
of a resolution particular to the case before it.
都要宣读一项,专门针对它面前的案件的决议。
Senator Newlands of the great state of Nevada,
will you kindly do the honors?
伟大的内华达州纽兰兹参议员,你能赏光来宣读吗?
"In the Senate of the United States,
April 17, 1912, that the Committee on Commerce
“1912年4月17日,在美国参议院,商务委员会
or a Subcommittee thereof is hereby
或其附属委员会特此授权
authorized and directed to investigate
并指示调查导致
the causes leading to the wreck of the White Star liner,
the RMS Titanic"--
白星邮轮泰坦尼克号♥失事的原因”...
"with a view to such legislation as may be necessary
to prevent any repetition of such a disaster."
“以制定必要的立法,以防止此类灾难,再次发生。”
"Resolved further that in the report of said Committee,
“又决定在该委员会的报告中,
it shall recommend such action as it shall deem expedient."
建议采取,它认为适当的诉讼行为。”
Thank you, Senator Newlands.
谢谢你,纽兰兹参议员。
Mr. Ismay, for the interest of simplifying this hearing,
伊斯梅先生,为了简化听证会,
I'll ask you a few preliminary questions.
我先问你几个问题。
First, state your full name, please.
首先,请说出你的全名。
Joseph Bruce Ismay.
约瑟夫.布鲁斯.伊斯梅。
- And your place of residence. - Liverpool, England.
- 还有,你的居住地。 - 英格兰,利物浦。
And your age.
你的年龄。
I shall be 50 on the 12th of December.
到12月12日,我就50岁了。
49.
49岁。
Are you an executive of the White Star Line?
你是白星航运公♥司♥的主管吗?
I am the managing director.
我是总经理。
And as such executive, were you officially designated to make
the trial trip of Titanic?
作为这样的高管,你是否被正式指派,去试航泰坦尼克号♥?
No.
不是。
Were you a voluntary passenger?
你是自愿来的吗?
Yes.
是的。
Will you kindly tell the committee the circumstances
surrounding your voyage as succinctly as possible,
请你把这次航行的情况,尽可能简明扼要地告诉委员会,
beginning with your boarding of the vessel at Liverpool,
从你在利物浦登船开始,
together with any circumstances you feel would be
beneficial to this committee?
以及,你认为对委员会有帮助的情况。
In the first place, I would like to express
my sincere grief at this deplorable catastrophe.
首先,我想要对这一令人震惊的灾难,表示我真诚的悲痛。
I understand you gentlemen have been appointed to inquire as to
the circumstances so far as we are concerned.
据我所知,你们诸位先生是奉命来询问,有关我们都关心的情况的。
We welcome it.
我们很乐意回答。
We court the fullest inquiry.
我们会配合全面征询的。
We have nothing to conceal, nothing to hide.
我们没什么好遮掩的,没什么好隐瞒的。
Please continue.
请继续。
The ship was built in Belfast by the Harland & Wolff Company.
这艘船,是由哈兰德和沃尔夫公♥司♥,在贝尔法斯特建造的。
Absolutely no expense was spared in her construction.
建造这艘船,绝对是不惜工本的。
You were saying.
你刚说过了。
I understand it has been stated the ship was traveling at full speed.
我了解到有这样的说法,说那艘船当时正全速行驶。
Titanic had never been at full speed.
泰坦尼克号♥从来没有,全速行驶过。
So far as I'm aware, she never exceeded 75 revolutions.
据我所知,她从未超过75转。
She had not all her boilers on.
她没有把所有的锅炉,都开通过。
It was our intention if we had fine weather on Monday afternoon
and Tuesday, to drive the ship at full speed.
如果星期一下午和星期二天气好的话,我们打算全速航行。
That, owing to the unfortunate catastrophe, never eventuated.
由于不幸的灾难,这样的行驶从未发生过。
Can you describe what you did immediately following the impact?
你能描述一下撞击后,你立即做了什么吗?
I put my coat on,made my way to the bridge,where I found Captain Smith.
我穿上外套,向舰桥走去,在那里我找到了史密斯船长。
He said, "We have struck ice."
他说:“我们与冰山碰撞了。”
I asked him if he thought the ship was seriously damaged.
我问他,他是否认为,船严重受损了。
He said, "I'm afraid she is."
他回答,“我恐怕,是的。”
I then went down below, where I met Mr. Bell, the chief engineer.
然后我下了甲板,遇到了总工程师贝尔先生。
He was quite satisfied the pumps would keep her afloat.
他很满意这些水泵,还能让船浮在水面上。
I went up to the top deck,where I heard the orders
given to get the lifeboats out.
我走到顶层甲板上,听到了把救生艇拉出来的命令。
Ready the lifeboats.
准备好救生艇。
Man your station.
全体各就各位。
Ready the lifeboats, young man.
准备好救生艇,年轻人。
Yes, sir.
是,先生。
I stood upon that deck practically until I left the ship
我几乎一直站在甲板上,直到我离开大船时,
in the starboard collapsible, which
她的右舷已经开始倾覆了,
was the last boat to leave the ship, so far as I know.
据我所知,这是最后一只离开大船的小艇。
电影精选列表