You stated that it was a voluntary trip on your part?
你说,你是自愿去的?
Yes, sir.
是的,先生。
For the purpose of viewing this ship in action
or did you have some business in New York?
你是来查看这艘船的运行情况,还是你在纽约,有公务要办?
I had no business.
我没有公务要办。
I simply came in the natural course of events,as one is apt to.
我只不过是“自然而然地”来搞社交活动的,正如人们的天性。
"As one is apt to"?
“正如人的天性”?
In the case of a new ship, to see how she works
and with an idea of seeing how we could improve on her.
就一艘新船而言,看看它是如何工作的,看看我们如何改进它。
Were there any other executive officers of the company on board?
船上还有公♥司♥的其他高管吗?
No.
没有。
Was the inspector or the builder on board?
船上有检验员和造船公♥司♥的人吗?
There was a representative of the builders,a Mr. Thomas Andrews.
有一位造船商的代表,托马斯·安德鲁斯先生。
Was he among the survivors?
他是幸存者吗?
Unfortunately, no.
很不幸,不是。
Mr. Ismay, as the only executive aboard representing
伊斯梅先生,作为船上唯一代表贵公♥司♥的高管人员,
your company, did you have the occasion
to consult with the Captain about the movements of the ship?
你是否有机会,与船长商讨过这艘船的运动?
Never!
从没有过!
Are you quite certain of that, Mr. Ismay?
你很确定吗,伊斯梅先生?
I-- I do not know that is quite a matter of consulting
我...我不知道,这是不是很重要,关于征询他,
him or if he's consulting me,but we agreed there was nothing
或者他征询我,但我们一致认为,
to be gained by arriving in New York earlier than Wednesday morning.
在周三早上之前,赶到纽约港,不会带来任何好处的。
But this was all arranged before we even left Queenstown.
但这一切,都是在我们离开皇后镇之前,安排好的。
You spoke of the revolutions on the early part of the voyage.
你们在航程的初期,谈到了轮机的转数。
Yes, sir.
是的,先生。
These were increased as the distance increased.
这些随着航程的增加而增加。
Bring out a new ship like Titanic,
you naturally do not start running at full speed.
推出一款像泰坦尼克号♥这样的新船,你自然不会开始就全速运转。
Mr. Ismay, during the voyage, did you have any knowledge as to
your proximity to icebergs?
伊斯梅先生,在航行中,你是否知道,你们正在接近冰山?
Did I know that we were near icebergs?
我怎么就能知道,我们就在冰山附近?
That was the question, yes.
这就是问题所在,是的。
No, sir, I did not.
不,先生,我不知道。
I know ice had been reported.
我知道,浮冰情况已被报告了。
Ice had been reported.
浮冰已被报告了。
Yes.
是的。
Did you personally see any icebergs or any large volume of ice?
你亲眼看到过冰山,或大块浮冰吗?
No, not until after the accident.
没有,直到事故发生。
Not until after the wreck.
直到沉船之后。
I had never seen an iceberg in my life.
It was absolutely out of my province.
我一生中,从未见过冰山。这完全超出了,我的知识范围。
I am not a navigator.I was simply a passenger.
我不是领航员。我只是一个乘客。
Are you aware of a wireless message
received by Titanic from a troop transport named the SS Amerika?
你知道,泰坦尼克号♥从一艘名为“美国人号♥”的货轮收到的电报讯息吗?
No, sir.
不知道,先生。
Saying that she had encountered ice in that exact same latitude?
说她在同一纬度,遇到过浮冰吗?
No, sir.
不知道,先生。
Were you aware of icebergs on Sunday?
你在星期天,知道会有冰山出现吗?
On Sunday? No, I did not know on Sunday.
星期天吗? 不,在星期天,我并不知道。
I knew we would be in the ice region that night some time.
我知道,那天晚上某个时候,我们会在“冰区”。
That you would be or that you were?
是你“将要”在,还是“已经”在?
That we would be in the ice region on Sunday night.
周日的晚上,我们“将要”在冰区。
Did you consult with the Captain about this matter?
你和船长商量过这件事吗?
Absolutely not.
绝对没有。
Mr. Ismay, will you describe in detail
the circumstances of your departure from the ship?
伊斯梅先生,你能详细描述一下,你离开大船的情况吗?
The officer called out,asking if there were any more women,
and there was no response.
高级船员喊了一声,问是否还有其他女性,但没有回应。
And none were left on deck.
甲板上一个人,也没有了。
As the boat was in the act of being lowered away, I boarded.
小艇正要放下来的时候,我上了小艇。
As the Titanic was sinking?
就在泰坦尼克号♥将要沉没时?
Sinking, yes.
沉没。是的。
I'm sorry.We're having trouble hearing.
我很抱歉。我的听觉不是特别好。
She was sinking.
她就要沉没了。
I must ask, were are all the women and children saved?
我必须问一下,所有的妇女和儿童都得救了吗?
I'm afraid not, sir.
我恐怕没有,先生。
What proportion were saved?
被救的比例是多少?
I have no idea.I have not asked.
我不知道。我没有问过。
After a short recess, we will be calling our next witness,
短暂休庭后,我们将传召下一位证人,
the Captain of the Carpathia,to whom all the survivors
of the Titanic owe their lives.
卡帕西亚号♥船长,泰坦尼克号♥所有幸存者的生命,都归功于他。
Senator, I do hope my testimony proved serviceable.
参议员先生,我希望我的证词,能起到作用。
If I can be of assistance in the future,
如果我能在未来有所帮助,
please do not hesitate to contact my office.
请不要犹豫,与我的办公室联♥系♥。
Mr. Ismay, I wouldn't advise making any plans
for the immediate future.
伊斯梅先生,我不建议你,为不久的将来,做任何计划。
Mr. Smith, if you are determined to continue with this
farce, I suppose there's little I can do about it.
史密斯先生,如果你执意要继续这场闹剧,我想我也无能为力了。
However, I shall be leaving now.
不过,我现在要走了。
I'm not discounting the gravity of this situation,
but I can assure you my conscience is clear.
我不是在贬低事态的严重性,但我可以向你保证,我问心无愧。
Do you know who that is?
你知道那是谁吗?
Countess of Rothes,first-class passenger.
罗斯伯爵夫人,头等舱乘客。
(亚瑟·H·罗斯特伦船长,卡帕西亚号♥)
This man is a hero by all accounts.
大家都说,这个人是个英雄。
(亚瑟·H·罗斯特伦船长,卡帕西亚号♥)
I recommend this be handled delicately.
我建议谨慎处理这个问题。
He's a ship captain with relevant experience,
他是有相关经验的船长,
and he was the first one on the scene.
也是第一个赶到现场的船长。
Please state your name and title.
请说出你的姓名和头衔。
Arthur H. Rostron, Captain of the RMS Carpathia.
亚瑟·H·罗斯特伦,卡帕西亚号♥舰长。
I will start at the heart of the matter.
我将从问题的核心开始。
I suppose you were looking forward to sailing
to your original destination.
我猜,你是盼望着,能航行到你原来的目的地吧。
Thank you, Senator.I hope I can be of assistance.
谢谢你的理解,参议员先生。我希望我能有所帮助。
Will you walk us through the events
leading up to receiving word that Titanic was in trouble?
你能给我们讲讲,泰坦尼克号♥出事之前,发生的事情吗?
Of course.
当然可以。
It was Sunday around midnight.
那是星期天的午夜时分。
We had fine, clear weather.
那天天气晴朗。
Everything was going on without trouble of any kind.
一切都进行得很顺利,没有任何麻烦。
Then at 12:35 AM, I was informed of an urgent distress signal
from the Titanic, requiring immediate assistance.
然后在12点35分,我接到来自泰坦尼克号♥的紧急求救信♥号♥♥,需要立即援助。
Informed by whom?
是谁通知你的?
By a wireless operator and the First Officer.I'd only just turned in.
是无线电操作员和大副。我那时刚上♥床♥睡觉。
Please continue.
请继续讲。
I asked the operator if he was absolutely sure it was a distress signal.
我问接线员,他是否绝对确定,这是求救信♥号♥♥。
I asked him twice.
我问了他两次。
He assured me he was certain of the message,
and I immediately set course.
他向我保证,他对这条消息很有把握,我立刻确定了方向。
I told the chief engineer to call another watch of stokers
and make all possible speed to the Titanic,as she was in trouble.
我让轮机长再叫一班司炉,尽可能快地驶向泰坦尼克号♥,因为它遇到了麻烦。
I then sent for the head of each department
and had them brought to my cabin.
然后,我派人把每个部门的负责人叫来,把他们带到我的舱房♥里。
I ordered the rockets be fired at 2:45 and every quarter
of an hour after to reassure Titanic.
我在2点45分下令发射火箭,每隔一刻钟发射一次,以安抚泰坦尼克号♥。
We would like you to leave a copy of that order
with the committee, if you will.
如果你愿意的话,我们希望你把那个命令的副本,留一份给委员会。
Yes, sir, I shall do it with pleasure.
是的,先生,我很乐意这么做。
Thank you, Captain. You may go on.
谢谢你,船长。你可以走了。
At about that time, I saw a flare off the port bow,
a half-point off the port bow.
大约在那个时候,我看到左舷船头有一个信♥号♥♥弹,离左舷船头有半个方位点。
I assumed correctly it was Titanic herself.
我猜对了,就是泰坦尼克号♥本身位置。
I remarked that she must still be afloat.
我还说,她一定还漂浮在水上。
Between 2:45 and 4 o'clock when I stopped my engines,
在2点45分到4点之间,我停止了我船的动力装置,
we were passing icebergs on every side.
我们左右腾挪地,绕过了每一座冰山。
At 4 o'clock, I stopped.
4点钟,我把船停了下来。
And by 4:10, we had the first lifeboat alongside.
4点10分,第一艘救生艇向我们,靠了过来。
You are picking up these people now?
你是要去接上这些人吗?
Yes.
是的。
Will you describe that for us, please?
你能给我们描述一下吗?
By the time we had the first lifeboat,
等到我们接上了第一艘救生艇,
it was breaking day.
天刚亮。
And I could--
而我可以...
I could see the remaining boats all around within an area
of about four miles.
在大约四英里的范围内,我可以看到周围,所有剩下的救生艇。
I saw also that I was surrounded by icebergs.
我还看到,我船是被冰山包围着的。
They were anywhere from--
它们出现在任何地方...
150 to 200-feet high and numerous smaller bergs.
有150到200英尺高,还有许多小冰山。
I maneuvered the ship and gradually got all boats alongside and
all the people aboard by 8:30.
我♥操♥控着船,让所有的救生艇船都贴傍了,到8点30分,所有的人都上了船。
I was then very close to where Titanic
must have gone down, as there was a lot of hardly wreckage.
电影精选列表