从1975年到2011年这段时期 在本质上 它就是个金融黑洞
It was a financial sinkhole, essentially, from 1975 up through 2011.
在航♥天♥时代 任何火星梦都无法实现
Any dreams of going to Mars during the Shuttle era were impossible
因为所有的钱都投入到航♥天♥飞机上了
because all of the money was going to the Shuttle.
美航局有点儿停滞不前 我们还没去过外太空
NASA is kind of at a holdup. We haven't gone places.
所以先不谈送人去太空
So don't go to space.
但是你可以将非人类或者是无生命的事物送上火星
But what you can send to Mars are non-humans and non-living things,
像机器人
like robots.
在你离开这张桌子之前
Before you leave this table,
我需要你想明白你机器人的首要任务是什么
I need you to figure out what your robot's primary task is going to be.
你不能只是把它们全都送上去
You can't just send all of them in there
然后让它们四个都尝试做相同的任务
and have all four of them try and do the same task.
那没有任何成效
That's not going to be productive.
好了 各位 东西都在这儿了 然后
All right, guys, we got everything up here, so...
就这些吗
Is that everything?
嗯 是的 我们能拍张图吗
- Yes, it is. - Can we get a picture?
我们在太空训练营制♥作♥机器人
We do robotics at Space Camp
因为机器人是空间计划很重要的一部分
because robotics is a huge part of the space program.
现今探索的成果并不是由人类完成的
Exploration done today isn't done by humans.
而要归功于机器人
It's done by robots.
美航局对于太阳系进行的无人探索
NASA's unmanned exploration of the solar system
是航♥天♥局当之无愧却尚未被重视的冠上明珠
is the great unappreciated crown jewel of the space agency.
它在佛罗里达的肯尼迪空间站启动
It began here at the Kennedy Space Center, Florida.
维京一号♥和二号♥已经准备好它们各自去往火星的旅途了
Viking 1 and Viking 2 were readied for their separate journeys to Mars.
机器人对前期探索很重要
A robot is important for forerunner exploration,
首先我们得送一个机器人上去
where we send a robot first.
它让我们知道去那里是没有任何问题的
It lets us know it's OK for us to go there.
现在的火星遍布着机器人
The planet Mars right now is entirely populated by robots,
想想确实是件很有趣儿的事情
which is an interesting thing to think about.
好奇号♥专门设计用来勘测
Curiosity's designed specifically to look at
火星上过去以及现在的居住性
past habitability and present habitability of Mars.
我们从知道火星上存在过水源的事实
That's really taking the step of where we understood there was once water on Mars
转而到探索这水源过去是否使火星上的生命体存活
to whether that water could have supported life on Mars,
或者现在可能还在维持着火星上生命的生存
or maybe even still support life on Mars.
发射好奇号♥和宇宙神五号♥
And liftoff of the Atlas 5 with Curiosity,
在于寻找有关火星生命之谜的线索
seeking clues to the planetary puzzle about life on Mars.
火星如此与众不同是
The thing that makes Mars so incredible
因为它是我们的姊妹星球
is that it's this sister planet of ours,
而且在以前的某段时期那儿可能孕育过生命
and the possibility that life could have arisen there some time in the past,
并且比我们过去想的要更加普遍
that maybe life is more prevalent than we thought in the past.
当地时间十点十三分
At 10.13 local time
我们将启动下降阶段的热电池
we'll initiate the descent stage thermal batteries,
之后EDL将会接管进行操作
and from that point on EDL ops will take over.
我对好奇号♥探索器有点儿偏爱
I'm a little partial to the Curiosity rover.
我们正从高度为6500米的地方下降
We're down to 90 meters per second
速度为九十米每秒
at an altitude of 6.5 kilometers and descending.
我跟进这个任务差不多已经十年了
I worked on that mission for almost 10 years.
UHF很不错
UHF is good.
着陆完毕 我们安全抵达火星
Touchdown confirmed. We're safe on Mars!
我认为在它们身上花的时间越长
I think the longer you spend working on them,
你就会越离不开它们
the more attached you are to them.
它们就像自己的孩子一样
They become kind of like kids.
我们需要一个按钮推进器
We are going to need a button pusher.
我来做那个 杰斯
-I can do that. -Jace!
杰斯 我得提个醒 那是最重要的事
Jace, just a heads up, that's priority numero uno!
杰斯是个优秀的码农 我们负担不起
Jace is a good programmer. We can't afford not to--
杰斯 你现在写编程吗 嗯
-Jace, are you programming right now? -Yes.
关于这些机器人 你得学习
With these robots, you have to learn
如何给他们编程序 才能让它们在没有人操控的时候继续工作
how to program them to work without a human being at the controls.
巴奇能控制好一边的黄色门吗
Can Bucky hold one side of the yellow doors?
你想要哪一边 我两边都可以
Which side do you want? I can program for both.
杰斯十分擅长编程 他真的特别投入
Jace is so good at programming. He just went right to it!
每次测试机器人的时候 他都超级耐心
He's got a ton of patience when it comes to testing that robot.
在自查上花费了很长时间
A lot of times in retrieval,
每件事情都有一些非常具体的点
the things are in a very specific place every time.
所以我们可以弄一个粗略的程式 测试 然后看看哪儿出了错
So we can make a rough program, go out, figure out what happened wrong...
然后就通过这种办法让编码变得越来越精确
...then just make it more and more and more and more precise
所以当任务下达的时候我们就可以完美地执行了
so we can perfectly execute that when the mission comes.
激活芯片
Activate COMS.
现在我正在学习如何在Python中编写代码
Right now I'm learning how to code in Python.
我是个新手 老实说 那些很复杂的事儿我没法做
I'm new to it. I'll admit, I can't make something really complicated.
我能做一个乒乓游戏 差不多就是这样吧
I can make a game of Pong work! That's about it.
但是我正在学习
But I'm learning.
有点儿紧张 应该会成功 这程序我编了很长时间了
A little nervous. It should work. I programmed it for a long time.
通过好奇号♥ 让我们感到惊讶的是
With Curiosity, what was amazing
我们在火星上钻的第一个洞里发现了曾经存在过水源
was that the first drill hole we drilled we found evidence of past water on Mars
而且那个水还比较新鲜
and that that water was kind of relatively fresh
很有可能可以维持地球上某些生物的生存
and could have supported certain types of life as we know them on Earth.
然后接下来的问题是火星上是否的确存在着生命
The next questions are really of whether life could exist on Mars.
未来的航♥天♥任务可以去寻找存在生命的迹象
Future missions can go and actually look for evidence of life.
最好的方法就是送人类上去
And maybe the best way to do that is with humans,
他们能把样品带回来 就像阿波罗计划那样
where they can bring samples back, like the Apollo missions did.
我们把一个机器人放在火星上 并把它命名为 好奇号♥
When we put a robot on Mars and we give it a name called "Curiosity",
让他自动发送消息
and we have it send down automatic Tweets,
我们很喜欢它 而且我们还把它叫做勇气号♥和坚强号♥
and we love it and we call it names like "plucky" and "tough".
我们已经准备好了
We're on the ground.
不要移♥动♥它 我们得等杰斯
Just don't move yet! We gotta wait for Jace.
五 四 三 二 一
Five, four, three, two, one!
开始
Begin!
将机器人人格化是我们的下一个目标
We humanize robots because it's the next best thing.
但是在探索其他星球的情况下
But in the case of explorers on other planets,
我们给机器赋予人的思想
humanizing, anthropomorphizing our machines
是因为我们没法把真人送到那儿去
are because we don't have real people to get there.
好吧 掉了个轮子
All right, lost a wheel.
人类可以在一天之内
Humans can do in a day
完成的事 机器人得花费数月或者是数年
what it takes a robot months or sometimes years to accomplish.
好奇号♥在火星表面已经呆了差不多三年多了
Curiosity's been on the surface for a little more than three years now,
而我们觉得人类在一周内就可以完成任务
and we guess that a human could do that within a week.
在那三年里我们所发展的科学技术
All the science that we've done so far in that three years,
让人类可以四处探寻 凿刻岩石 观察并研究它们
a human could walk around, chisel rocks, look at them, investigate them.
别动 别动它 帕特里克 别动它
Don't move that. Don't move that. Patrick, don't move it!
帕特里克 别动它
Patrick, don't move it!
我会弄好的
I can get it.
有点失望我们做的机器人并没有达到预期的效果
Just kind of disappointed that our bot didn't function how we wanted it to.
它只能完成两个或三个任务
It was only able to complete two or three tasks,
而不是我们之前预想的六个
rather than the about six that we had planned for.
不
No!
它坏了 不
It's broken. No!
我还没见过给机器人准备的盛大欢迎会呢
I've yet to see a ticker tape parade for robots.
还有以一个机器人命名的学校
Or a high school named after a robot.
尼尔 德格拉赛 泰森 天体物理学家
所以 当我们其中一人去体验了一番
So, there's the vicarious value that one of us experiences that
然后回来再聊起来 就会发现 这事是有替代价值的
and comes back to talk about it.
你有机会和那位人物接触
You can touch that person.
他实现了人类文明的梦想
And that person carried out the dreams of a civilization.
- 不 - 嘿 伙计 继续下去
- No! - Yo, man. Just keep going!
- 还有十秒 - 九 八 七 六
- Ten seconds! - Nine, eight, seven, six...
五 四 三 二 一
...five, four, three, two, one...
- 时间到 - 停下所有的机器人
- Zero! - Stop all your robots!
程序错误
Programming error.
博特并没有完全按照设置好的那样运作
Bot didn't function properly as how it was intended to.
它的表现并没有跟测试时一样好
It didn't perform as it did during testing.
这一幕真的挺打击我的 我功败垂成
It was really kind of down to me, and I kind of failed at the last second.
火星这个地方最好的 以及它让那么心驰神往的一点
The best thing about Mars and why everybody wants to go to Mars
就是我们在上面放置了漫游者
is because we have rovers there.
乔什 16岁
我们有机器人 也有真实案例
We have machines, examples,
这一切都在呼唤着人们 来吧 来火星吧 来火星吧
everything from it that says, "Hey come, come to Mars, come to Mars."
太空服测试
我们能用这个做我们的一层保护膜吗
Can this be one of our layers?
当然 你可以用它做你的一层保护膜
Yeah! You can use that as one of your layers!
好 那我们就叫它 尼尔 苹果斯特朗好了
OK, we're naming it Neil Applestrong.
苹果宇航员的训练 在这里我们能有一个绿苹果宇航员咯
电影精选列表