她生命中最好的年华
for the best years of her life,
都被骗走了
been cheated of it.
这没有让她恼火
This did not make her angry,
但她的表情 尽管面带感激的笑容
but her face had, in spite of its smile of appreciation,
还是有一点受伤的吃惊而微微泛红
the flush of a sort of wounded surprise.
仿佛她带着秘密的悲伤在想着
As if she were thinking with a secret sadness
机会 永远都失去的机会
of opportunities, forever lost.
我知道我姨娘怎么了
I've found out what's the matter with my aunt.
她是怕你走
She's afraid that you'll go.
我猜你意思是考虑到房♥租
I suppose you mean because of the rent.
是的 挺不好意思的但她希望我能拥有更多
Oh, yes, it is shameful but she wants me to have more.
她想让你有多少才够呢
How much does she want you to have?
她应该确定个数 那样我就能待到最后
She ought to fix the sum. Then I could stay till it's all gone.
不 这不会让我开心的 这么麻烦你
No, that wouldn't please me, you going to all that trouble.
前几天
The other day...
我感觉你看起来像是要帮我做研究
I seemed to understand you might help me with my search.
我错了吗
Was I wrong?
我 我不能背着我姨娘这么做
I... I couldn't do that without being false to my aunt.
她从来都没有对你所想有赞同
She'd never consent to what you want.
她之前被别人问过
She'd been asked before.
所以她确实有文件 有价值的文稿
So she does have documents... papers of value.
她什么都有
She has everything.
她什么都有
She has everything.
她的名字让人嗅到一种鲁莽激♥情♥的味道
There clung to her name some scent of a reckless passion,
对一些人来说 就是暗示
an intimation that, for some people,
朱莉安娜的举止不总是令人尊重的
Juliana hadn't always acted respectably.
你弹得很动听
You play beautifully.
我已经很久没练习过了
I haven't practised in ages.
你应该继续弹下去
You should resume.
这是我唯一知道的片段
It's the only piece I know.
这是我姨妈最喜欢的一首
It's my aunt's favourite one,
尽管我弹得对她来说从来都不够好
though I've never played it well enough for her.
今天的事 我想要谢谢你
I want to thank you. For today.
这是我的荣幸
It was my pleasure.
还替我姨妈谢谢你 尽管她从没说出口
And for my aunt as well, though she'll never say it.
她不会经常透漏自己的真实想法
She doesn't often reveal her true thoughts.
是什么让她变成这样的呢
What has made her this way?
我不知道 是因为什么东西吧
I don't know, it was on account of something...
很多年前 在我出生之前
years ago, before I was born.
什么东西 那是什么样的呢
Something? What kind of something?
她从未跟我说过
She never told me.
你觉得是阿斯彭在信中
Do you suppose it's something to which
提过的什么东西吗
Aspern references in his letters?
我从来没读过
I've never read them.
但有一次当她拿出来时 我确实见到过
But I did see them once when she had them out.
是信吗 还是诗
Are they letters? Are they poems?
她经常看吗
Does she look at them often?
她以前经常看 她很喜欢
She used to. She's very fond of them.
尽管可能是不宜泄漏的内容吗
Even though they may be compromising?
不宜泄漏
Compromising?
文稿里可能有一些痛苦的回忆
Well, they may contain some painful memories.
我不认为有那么令人痛苦
I don't think that they're painful in that way.
你不认为也许会影响她的声誉吗
You don't think they may affect her reputation?
你觉得她做了什么不好的事吗
Do you think that she did something bad?
好吧 当时情况不一样
Well, things were different then.
我们现在的道德观可能会对她评价很差
The morals of our day may judge her badly.
如果有失体面 那她为何要保留文稿呢
If they were compromising, why would she keep the papers?
她为什么不 毁掉文稿呢
Why would she not just... destroy them?
也许会吧 在她生命结束之时
Well, she might. Towards the end.
不要这么说
Don't say that.
-你必须阻止这种事情的发生 -怎么阻止呢
- You must prevent it. - How?
你可以把文稿从她身边拿走
You could get them away from her.
把它们给你吗
And give them to you?
你可以就只让我看看
Well, you might just let me look at them.
在对杰弗里·阿斯彭的研究中
They would be of such importance
它们会起到相当重要的作用
as a contribution to the history of Jeffrey Aspern.
从前有一位先生
There was a gentleman once
给她写信 也写到了差不多的话
that wrote to her in very much those words.
他是怎么说的 让我想想
He said... What was it? Let me remember.
对了
Ah! Yes...
"它们将具有不可估量的重要性"
"They would be of immeasurable importance."
那她怎么回答的呢
And what did she reply?
在他寄了两三封信之后
After he'd sent her two or three letters,
她变得非常生气
she became fearfully angry.
她撕碎了那些信 扔进了火里
She tore them up. She put them in the fire.
她说他是个魔鬼
She said that he was a devil.
那么 我可不希望你把我看成魔鬼
Well, I hope you won't see me as a devil.
这取决于你要求我为你做什么
It depends what you ask me to do for you.
我只想让你阻止她销毁文稿
I only ask that you prevent her from destroying the papers.
但是如何阻止呢
But how?
她才是控制我的人
It's she who controls me.
我觉得你不必这么害怕
I don't think that you have to be too frightened.
她 她很珍惜那些手稿
She... She loves them.
她非常爱它们
She loves them so much.
我会尽我所能帮助你的
I'll do what I can to help you.
"毁灭标记着你
"Destruction marks thee!
血迹斑斑的荒原
O'er the blood-stained heath
在隐约诞生
is faintly borne
那窒息的死亡哀号♥
that stifled wail of death.
数百万的人们被迫战斗着
Millions to fight compelled,
战斗 或是
to fight or die
在战争的红祭坛上死去"
in mangled heaps on war's red altar lie."
缇娜是个很好的姑娘
Tina is a very nice girl.
我希望你带她出去
I hope you did not take her out
不是因为你觉得有责任这么做
because you were obliged to,
而是因为 你对她有感觉
but that you... you have some feeling for her.
是的
Yes.
你是来告诉我
Have you come to tell me
你希望再多住六个月吗
that you wish to take your rooms for six months more?
我是个很简单的文字工作者
I am a simple man of letters.
就这么一天一天的生活
I live from day to day.
所以你觉得房♥租价格太高了吗
So do you find your rooms too dear?
我让自己在威尼斯待了三个月
I've treated myself to three months in Venice.
这已经是一种极大的奢侈了
It has been an immense luxury.
但如果你觉得你的房♥间太贵了的话
But if you find your rooms too dear,
你可以用一样的钱但拥有更多房♥间
you can have more rooms for the same money.
我们可以做些安排
We can arrange something,
正如他们所说 我们可以结合为一家
we can combinare, as they say.
显然 你认为的我 比我实际情况要富有得多
Evidently you suppose me much richer than I am.
-你写书 难道不卖♥♥吗 -卖♥♥得不多
- You write books. Don't you sell them? - A little.
没有我希望得那么多
Not as much as I'd wish.
我写的那种书 基本是不会走向富裕之路的
Writing books such as mine is the last road to fortune.
也许你没有选择好合适的主题
Perhaps you don't choose good subjects.
你的书是关于什么的
What do you write about?
我写的是关于别人的书
I write about the books of other people.
我是一个评论家 一个传记作家
I'm a critic, a biographer.
你对于这些作家是怎么想的
What do you say about these writers?
我觉得他们有时会依附于非常聪明的女人
I say they sometimes attach themselves to very clever women.
你认为重提旧事是对的吗
Do you think it's right to rake up the past?
如果我们不深挖一点
How can we get to the past
我们如何会了解过去呢
if we don't dig a little?
如今的生活正在肆意践踏着过去
The present has such a rough way of treading on it.
我喜欢过去 我不喜欢评论家
I like the past. I don't like critics.
我也不喜欢
Neither do I.
但我喜欢他们的发现
But I like their discoveries.
大部分都是谎言
Mostly lies.
谎言是有时候他们的发现
The lies are what they sometimes discover.
他们只是把真♥相♥摆出来
They lay bare the truth.
真♥相♥属于上帝
The truth belongs to God,
不属于人们
not to man.