当朱丽安娜·博尔德罗
As Juliana Bordereau
坐在我面前时
sat there before me,
我的心跳得就好像生命复苏一样快
my heart beat as fast as if the miracle of resurrection
就好像只为我而发生
had taken place solely for my benefit.
她的存在似乎包含了他的存在
Her presence seemed somehow to contain his,
初见她之时 我就觉得我离他更近了
and I felt nearer to him at that first moment of seeing her
比我曾今到达的都近
than I ever had before,
也比自那以后到达的都近
or ever have since.
我有一种不可抗拒的欲望
I felt an irresistible desire to hold in my own,
想握住那只
for a moment,
杰弗里·阿斯彭曾经紧握过的手
the hand that Jeffrey Aspern had pressed.
维亚雷焦 意大利 1822
人不能守护自己的神明
One doesn't defend one's god.
神明本身就是他的防御
One's god is in himself a defence.
如今杰弗里·阿斯彭
Today Jeffrey Aspern
在文学的殿堂里光芒四射
shines high in the heaven of our literature
全世界的人都能看到
for all the world to see.
他是我们前行道路上的明灯之一
He is a part of the light by which we walk.
他不仅是他的时代里最有才华的诗人之一
He had been not only one of the most brilliant poets of his day,
更是最亲切的人之一
but one of the most genial men
也是最英俊的人之一
and one of the handsomest.
他的早逝是他一生中唯一的暗斑
His early death had been the only dark spot in his life,
除非博尔德罗女士手中的信
unless the papers in Miss Bordereau's hands
会事与愿违的揭示出其他暗斑
should perversely bring out others.
他被什么样的激♥情♥所损害
By what passions had he been ravaged?
她又遭受了什么痛苦
By what sufferings had she been blanched?
阿斯彭文稿
我们的房♥子离中心很远
Our house is very far from the centre,
但这里的小运河是最美的
but the little canal is comme il faut.
真的非常好
Very respectable.
这是威尼斯最美的一角
It's the sweetest corner of Venice.
我想不出更有魅力的地方了
I can imagine nothing more charming.
你没有必要说话这么大声
There's no need to raise your voice.
我完全听得到
I can hear you perfectly.
请坐在那里
Please do sit down over there.
现在告诉我你具体想从我这问些什么
Do tell me what you might expect from me.
这个嘛
Well...
或许昨天那位热情接待我的女士
Perhaps the young lady who so kindly received me yesterday
向您说了花♥园♥的事
explained to you about the garden.
你的花♥园♥给了我勇气
Your garden gave me the courage
促使我进行这次不同寻常拜访
to take a step so unconventional.
我希望能在这里找到住处
I thought I might find lodgings here.
爱德华·沙利文先生
Mr Edward Sullivan.
来这里见博尔德罗女士
To see Miss Bordereau.
抱歉
Excuse me.
那个花♥园♥
The garden.
是你的吗
Is it yours?
花♥园♥吗
The garden?
这里没有东西是我的
Nothing here is mine.
但这花♥园♥肯定是这房♥子的吧
But surely the garden must belong to the house?
是的 但这栋房♥子并不属于我
Yes, but the house doesn't belong to me.
那你能告诉我应该去拜访谁吗
Then would you tell me to whom I must address myself?
是这样的
You know...
我在找一个花♥园♥
I'm looking for a garden.
对于一个男人来说 你可能觉得荒谬 但
It's absurd if you like, for a man, but...
没有花我活不下去
I can't live without flowers.
那下面并没有什么花
There are none to speak of down there.
培育鲜花需要付出很多
It costs too much to cultivate them.
必须要有专人照料
One has to have a man.
那么为什么不能是我呢
Why should I not be that man?
你可以拥有威尼斯最好的花
You shall have the finest flowers in Venice.
可我甚至不认识你
But I don't know you.
我俩互相了解的程度差不多
Oh, you know me as much as I know you.
甚至你了解的更多 你已经知道了我的名字
That is to say much more, as you now know my name.
爱德华·沙利文
既然你这么喜欢花♥园♥
If you're so fond of gardens,
为什么不找找肥沃的土地
why don't you go to terra firma ,
比我这里好得多的地方
where there are so many far better than mine?
是因为这里的组合
It's the combination.
花♥园♥座落在海中♥央♥的这种感觉
The idea of a garden in the middle of the sea.
可这并不在海中♥央♥
It's not in the middle of the sea!
我已经很多年
It's many years
都没有坐过贡多拉了
since I have been in one of the gondolas.
贡多拉 威尼斯特色尖舟
是这样的 请您放心
Well, let me assure you of the pleasure
我真的会全力以赴为您服务的
at which I would put mine at your service.
你是英国人 是不是
You're English, are you not?
如果是的话 那我差不多算是乡下人了
If you are, I'm almost a countryman.
我们不是英国人
We're not English.
难道你们是美国人
You don't mean to say you're an American?
我不知道
I don't know.
曾经是吧
Used to be.
曾经吗
Used to be?
已经好多年了
It's been so many years...
我们现在 什么都不是
We're... nothing now.
我不打算夺走你们任何东西
I'm not going to take anything from you.
我在写作
I have some writing to do.
我只希望可以有一段安静的时间
I would like some quiet over a period,
可能是整个冬天
possibly all winter.
同时我也需要清新的空气
I also need a great deal of open air.
我发现了这个如此
I find a garden is really...
让人无法忘怀的花♥园♥
indispensable.
对于你们来说 什么都不会改变
Nothing will change for you all...
当然 除了
except, of course,
那些花
the flowers.
对于我们吗
For us all?
我是说你们整个家庭
I mean all your family...
不管你们有多少人
However many you are.
就还有一个人
There's only one other...
她很老了
She's very old.
只有一个吗
Only one other,
在这么大的房♥子里
in all this place?
那你肯定有地方可以让我住
Surely then you have space to spare.
如果能让我租两 三间房♥间
If you could let me two, three rooms,
那对我是极大的帮助
it would greatly assist me.
我做不了决定
Er... I can't decide anything.
你得见我的姨娘
You must see my aunt.
你说的那个热情接待你的女士
The young lady who received you so kindly, as you say,
是我的侄女
is my niece.
她的名字叫缇娜
Her name is Tina.
她过会进来 但我想单独和你聊一会儿
She will come in, but I wished to see you alone for a moment.
很高兴能够再次见到您侄女
I'll be delighted to see your niece again.
缇娜女士很有礼貌
Miss Tina was so very courteous to me.
她礼仪很好 是我把她抚养大的
She has very good manners. I bred her up myself.
我想她一定觉得我非常古怪
I imagine she must have thought me very odd.
你有多古怪无关紧要
It matters little how odd you are.
我不关心你是谁
I don't care who you are.
名字在如今代表不了什么
It signifies very little today.
那我需要知道什么
Am I to understand...?
你什么都不用知道
There's nothing to understand.
认真听就好了
Just listen... carefully.
你想要
You may have
多少房♥间都行
as many rooms as you like...
前提是你付我足够的钱
if you will pay me a great deal of money.
我很乐意付钱
I will pay with pleasure
而且是预付
and of course in advance
你认为多少合适都可以
whatever you think it proper to ask of me.
好 那就一个月一千法郎
Well, then, a thousand francs a month.
一千
A thousand...
我亲爱的女士 你我的想想法一致
My dear lady, your views perfectly fit my own.
明天我就会
Tomorrow I shall have the pleasure
把三个月的租金交过来
of putting three months' rent into your hand.