要么他们都应该活下来
and either they ought to have remained
要么她应该跟他们一起走了
or she ought to have gone with them.
这是她的原话
That's what she says.
但是人们不会因为想死
But people don't die
就死了 对吗
when they want, do they?
我猜我待在这的这段时间里
I guess she won't have much to say
她应该没什么想和我聊的
to me while I'm here.
没有
No.
没什么好说的 我们生活得如此宁静
There's nothing to tell. We live such a quiet life.
我都不知道时间是怎么一天天流逝的
I don't know how the days pass, I...
你是个值得信任的人
You're very trusting.
-值得信任 -对
- Trusting? - Mm-hm.
我想是吧 我是一个值得信赖的人
I... I suppose that I am a trusting person.
我的房♥间一被安排好
As soon as my rooms had been arranged,
我就开始探索这个地方
I surveyed the place,
寻找机会
looking for my opportunity.
然而 你可以穿过一个缺口
Yet you can push through a breach
但你不能推倒一面已经堵死了的墙
but you can't batter down a dead wall.
她们就像两个已然被捕的猎物
They were like two hunted creatures
佯装死亡
feigning death.
我决定尽可能多得待在花♥园♥里
I made a point of spending as much time as possible in the garden
为了证明我之前所描述的
to justify the picture I had originally
我对园艺热爱
given of my horticultural passion.
我不仅是在花时间 还在花费一大笔钱
And I not only spent time, but considerable money.
我们有很多工作要做 跟我来
We got a lot of work to do. Come with me.
我得保持始终如一
I had to be consistent.
我要信守承诺 让鲜花淹没整个房♥子
Keep my promise that I would smother the house with flowers.
我用我的方式构筑整个工程
I had formed this project
用鲜花来打通我的路
that by flowers I would make my way.
我习惯于观察
I used to watch,
久到我觉得还算合适
as long as I thought decent,
通往博尔德罗女士的那部分房♥子的这扇门
the door that led to Miss Bordereau's part of the house.
看到我的人可能会想
A person observing me might have thought
我是想在她的房♥门上施咒语
I was trying to cast a spell on her door
或是在进行一些奇怪的催眠实验
or was attempting some odd experiment in hypnotism.
但我不满足于只瞥见她的一点点踪迹
But I was not rewarded with a glimpse of the tail of her dress.
就好像她从来没从她的房♥间一窥外面的世界
It was as if she had never peeped out of her apartment.
过得了这么单调的未来
What store of passionate memories
朱莉安娜会有多少激♥情♥的回忆
had Juliana laid away for the monotonous future?
"除了你 这个秘密无人知晓
"A secret known to none but thee"
只有你才知道"
and no one else of living things..."
她是一名艺术家
She was the daughter
画家 雕刻家的女儿
of an artist, a painter, a sculptor
于世纪之初离开了美国
who had left America when the century was fresh.
她一到欧洲
Upon her arrival in Europe,
身边就围绕着诗人和作家
she surrounded herself with poets and writers.
这意味着
There was an implication
她拥有大胆和迷人的特质
that she'd had an adventurous and fascinating character.
你来了我很高兴
I'm so glad you've come!
你说得好像你在森林里迷路了一样
You speak as if you were lost in the woods.
当你离这个迷人的地方只有三英尺的时候
How you manage to stay out of this charming place
你怎么能忍♥住不走入其中的
when you have only three feet to get into it...
还有很多我没发现的
It's more than I've been able to discover.
告诉我
Tell me.
你们是怎样做到不出去呼呼新鲜空气
How do you manage without air,
不出去走走
without movement,
不和外界有任何联♥系♥的呢
without any sort of contact from outside?
我们睡觉特别早
We go to bed very early.
比你想象的还早
Well... earlier than you'd imagine.
你知道吗
Do you know...
我从来没在这个时间来过这
I've never been out here at this time of day.
从来没有
Never?
没来过这样芬芳
In this fragrant place,
百花繁盛在你鼻尖的地方吗
blooming right here under your nose?
这里之前没这么漂亮
It was never nice till now.
其实
You know,
我必须承认
I must confess...
我好奇你为什么从来没给我一点迹象
I've wondered why you've never given me the slightest sign.
你从来没用任何方式
You've never thanked me in any way
谢过我为你送去的花
for the flowers I've been sending up.
我不知道那是给我的
I didn't know they were for me.
是给你们俩的
They were for you both.
不然为什么要做出改变呢
Why should I make a difference?
你为什么想要了解我们
Why do you want to know us?
这是你姨娘想问的问题
Now, that question is your aunt's.
不是你想问的
It isn't yours.
如果你可以容忍♥的话 你是不会问的
You wouldn't ask it if you weren't put up to it.
她没让我问你这个问题
She didn't tell me to ask you it.
那么
Well...
你姨娘觉得像我们这样
does your aunt see anything wrong with
住在同一屋檐下的两个聪明人
the idea of two intelligent people,
偶尔交换一下意见 聊聊天
living under the same roof as we do,
有什么问题吗
occasionally exchanging a remark?
知道吗 我们有些相同的喜好
You know, we share some of the same tastes.
像你一样 我也很喜欢威尼斯
Like you, I am intensely fond of Venice.
我一点也不喜欢威尼斯
Oh, I'm not in the least bit fond of Venice.
我想离这里远远的
I should like to go far away from it.
你不喜欢威尼斯吗
You don't like Venice?
你都没过去过圣马可广场
And you wish to go far away from it
你却想远离这里
when you won't even go to Piazza San Marco?
你姨娘老是控制着你吗
Has your aunt always held you back so?
不 今天是她让我出来走走的
No. She's the one that told me to come out today.
是我自己没想出来
It was I that didn't want to come.
我不想把她抛下
I didn't want to leave her.
她不舒服吗
Is she unwell?
她最近就没怎么舒服过
She hasn't been very well recently.
有时她一动都不动 我都害怕她死了
Sometimes she's so motionless that I fear she's dead.
但是她还是坚持每天早上起床
But she insists on getting up every morning.
坚持着原来的习惯
She clings to her old habits
好像这样就能让她稳定下来
as if it would keep her steady.
她决定坐在客厅
She makes a point of sitting in the parlour
就好像她在等客人
as if she was expecting a visitor.
-那么她原来经常接待客人 是吗 -是的
- She used to receive visitors, then? - Oh, yes.
我们刚到威尼斯时 生活过得非常丰富
When we first came to Venice we had a brilliant life.
我们参观了每一个宫殿 教堂 画廊
We visited all the palazzi, the churches, the galleries...
-你都认识谁 -很多人
- Who did you know? - Oh, so many.
还有很友善的
And nice ones. Um...
布碧斯骑士和艾特米拉伯爵
The Cavaliere Bombicci and the Contessa Altemura.
我们关系都很好
We had a very great friendship with her.
奇尔顿一家 戈尔迪一家 还有斯托克斯夫人
The Chiltons, the Goldies... Oh, and Mrs Stokes.
我很喜欢她
Oh, I loved her so much.
她已经去世了
She's gone now,
就像圈子里的大部分人一样
as are most people from that circle.
现在有点晚了
Mm... it's getting late now.
你一定要走吗
You really have to go?
对 我必须得走了
Yes. I must.
我什么时候还能再见你
When shall I see you again?
我想明天晚上出来走走 但是
I would like to come out tomorrow night but...
但我已经很久都没有随心所欲了
Well, I'm so far from doing what I'd like.
你做的事可能我会喜欢
You might do something I like.
我不相信你
I don't believe you.
为什么 为什么不相信我
Why? Why don't you believe me?
我不知道 我
I don't know, I...
我想是因为我不懂你
I suppose it's because I don't understand you.
那正是你需要有信心的时候
That is just the sort of occasion to have faith.
要对我有信心
Have faith in me.
母亲
Mother.
你来得正是时候
You've arrived just in time
来见见我认识的最神秘的男人 莫顿·文特先生
to meet the most mysterious man I know, Mr Morton Vint.
早上好 女士们
Good morning, ladies.