I'm going to tell her she opened the door by mentioning reeducation.
先生们 这就是你们来此的目的
Gentlemen, that's what you're here for.
再训练
Reeducation.
跟我一样 你们上过医学院 多年辛勤工作
Like myself, you went to Medical School, you worked hard for years.
然后和我一样 进入一个困难的分支
Then, like myself, you went on into a very difficult branch
需要更多年的研究学习
which required more years of study.
你们积累了大量经验 现在你们觉得自己完全有资历
You've piled up experience and today you feel that you're thoroughly qualified men.
学习知识很难 忘却知识更难
Hard as it is to learn, it is even more difficult to unlearn.
美国幽默作家阿特穆斯·沃德 多年前说过一句话
As an American humorist, Artemus Ward, said many years ago,
让你陷入麻烦的 不是你不知道的事
it ain't the things we don't know that causes all the trouble,
而是你自以为知道、其实错误的事
it's the things we do know that ain't so.
我很清楚 并不是在座每个人都能相信
I'm well aware that not all of you are convinced.
但是你们能从美国和加拿大五湖四海到这里
But the fact that you are here from all parts of the United States and Canada,
就能说明你们都是思想开明的人
is proof that you are open- minded men.
在我看来 如果肯尼女士是一名医生
In my opinion, had Miss Kenny been a doctor,
那么这场论战不会持续了35年之久
this controversy would not have gone on for 35 years.
我很确定
And I'm equally sure
我冒着被打瘸的生命危险说
and I say this at the risk of life and limb,
如果肯尼护士能给自己多加些糖 少用些醋
that if Sister Kenny herself had used a little more sugar and a little less vinegar,
那么这盘“沙拉”将会更可口一些
the salad would have been more to our taste.
但是各位 没有这些醋 就抗不下这场35年的战斗
But you can't fight for 35 years, gentlemen, without the use of vinegar.
无论如何 不必理会这些琐碎之事
However, all these petty things should be swept aside.
我们需要关注的是孩子们的生命
What we are concerned about is the lives of children.
而不是我们个人的情绪
Not our personal feelings.
作为真正的医生
As true physicians,
我们需要找到这种疾病的最佳治疗方法
we want to find the best possible treatment for this disease
去年一年仅在美国就有19000名儿童罹患此病
that afflicted 19,000 children last year in the United States alone.
谢谢 医生
Thank you, doctor.
汤米…
Now, Tommy...
你们眼前的是一个典型的康复期病例
You see here a typical case in the convalescence stage.
急性发作期已经过去 疼痛消失
The acute stage has passed, the pain is all gone
但是真正的困难刚刚开始
but the real difficulties now begin.
这通常被称为显性或功能性麻痹
We have here what is known as apparent or functional paralysis.
我把它叫做错乱…是的
What I call alienation... Yes?
医生们 我刚刚得到消息
Doctors, I have just been told
国家委员会的报告正在广播
that the report of the National Committee is coming through on the radio.
现在就在播放
They're putting it on the loudspeaker.
...无论是否采用肯尼疗法
# ...with the Kenny treatment as without it. #
总而言之 委员会的五名专家报告称
# And in conclusion, the five specialists who've composed the committee... #
没有证据足以表明 肯尼疗法能够使患者恢复
# report that they find no evidence the Kenny treatment reverts #
或是减少瘫痪的数量
# or decreases the amount of paralysis. #
引用原话“我们要批判肯尼女士的言论
# I quote. "We criticize the oft- repeated statements of Miss Kenny, #
对于先在别处治疗而后找到她的病人 她屡次对他们说
# to patients who have to come to her after treatment elsewhere, #
如果早些找她治疗 残疾就可以避免了
# that had this case come to her early, the disability would have been prevented. #
这样的言论是没有事实依据的
# Such statements are not founded on fact. #
引用完毕
# End quote. #
委员会的报道通篇都在严正批判
# The entire report of the committee is a severe criticism #
肯尼护士和她的支持者们
# of Sister Kenny and her supporters. #
至于她所宣称的治愈 她被指控为
# And with respect to her claims for recoveries, she is accused of, quote, #
“蓄意歪曲其他治疗方法事实”
# "Deliberate misrepresentation of the facts of treatments by other methods. #
引用原文
# End quote. #
我不知道国家委员会是如何考证的
I don't know what evidence the National Committee considered,
但是在明尼阿波利斯使用肯尼疗法的人
but we who are using the Kenny treatment here in Minneapolis,
已经用充分的时间观察她的工作
have observed her work sufficiently long
我们知道 弯曲萎缩的四肢、扭曲的身体
to know that crooked, shortened limbs and twisted bodies...
并非这种疾病不可避免的后遗症
are not a necessary consequence of this disease.
因为在明尼阿波利斯 用肯尼疗法的病例并没有出现这种惨剧
Because these tragedies do not occur in the Kenny- treated cases in Minneapolis.
作为伊丽莎白肯尼研究所的医学顾问
As medical director of the Elizabeth Kenny Institute,
我毫不犹疑地说 是时候摒弃陈旧的方法了
I have no hesitation in saying it is time to abolish antiquated methods...
那会让孩子们因患上小儿麻痹而残疾
which allow children to suffer deformities from infantile paralysis
医生 你讲得很好 但我不想客套了
That's a very fine speech, doctor, but I'm getting tired of being polite about it.
残疾儿童比医学礼仪重要得多
Crippled children are more important than medical etiquette.
年复一年 各种委员会都在研究肯尼护士的理论
Year after year committees investigate the ideas of Sister Kenny.
但又有谁研究过那些委员会人的脑袋?
But who ever investigated the brains of the committees?
我研究过 年轻人
I did, young man.
我遭受过比这更严厉的打击
I've survived worse blows than this...
那时我没几个朋友
when I had fewer friends.
这是人们观念的问题
This is a problem of man's own mind.
当我们替权威发声的时候
When we speak with the voice of authority,
我们最终会深信自己就是权威
we finally come to believe that we are authority...
而不仅仅是替别人发声
and not just its voice.
这份报告确实会造成重创
This report will do damage.
不是对我 而是剥夺了无数孩子们正确治疗的机会
Not to me, but to thousands of children who may be deprived of proper treatment.
我觉得这件事不值得人身攻击
I do think the personal attack is unworthy of this, gentlemen.
我从未蓄意歪曲事实 我没有这个必要
I have never knowingly misrepresented facts. I don't have to.
多亏了医生 我才变得愤世嫉俗
And I owe too much to doctors to be embittered.
多亏了美国 让我充满感激
I owe too much to America to feel anything but gratitude.
在美国 我的治疗方法得以在急性病例上首次尝试
In America, my treatment was tried for the first time on acute cases.
在美国 我能够和各种专家一起工作
In America I have been able to work side by side with specialists.
我认为这项事业并没有被忽视 即使是在别的国家
And don't think this work has gone unnoticed even beyond the borders of this country.
小儿麻痹症这种病可不管你的国家、
Infantile paralysis doesn't know anything about national borders,
种族、信仰、肤色、富有还是贫穷
races, creeds, colors, rich or poor,
而且好在 医学也是如此
and neither, thank God, does medical science.
我与医生之间的抗争 从丛林到都市
Oh, I have fought doctors. In the bush and in the city.
如你们所说 我从未手下留情
And, as you say here, I haven't pulled any punches.
他们也一样
And neither have they.
他们执拗 倔强 暴躁 盛气凌人 吹毛求疵
They're stubborn, headstrong, cantankerous, domineering, quibbling people.
他们也很优秀
And they're wonderful.
他们能为自己的信仰如此抗争
The very fact they fought so bitterly for what they believed
让我深感敬佩
has made me respect them.
如果有那种在死去见到上帝时
If any group of men can give a better account of themselves
能表现得更好的人...
when they come to meet their maker...
原谅我 各位
Forgive me, gentlemen.
我想起了一位医生 曾是我亲密的工作伙伴
I am thinking of a doctor who was very close to me in this work.
他是位十分优秀的人
He was a very good man.
现在...我们回归正题
And now... to return to the subject...
让肌肉重新走起来
...of teaching these muscles to walk again.
您一口茶都没喝 护士
You haven't touched your tea, Sister.
我在想事情
Oh, I was thinking.
什么声音
What's that?
不知道
I don't know.
电影精选列表