to be told off by a nurse.
我已经听过很多人这样的抱怨
Now, I've heard a lot of stories complaining about the same thing.
你激怒了他们 伊丽莎白
You antagonize them, Elizabeth.
你对医生的言辞极不友善
You've said some very unkind things about doctors.
我从未对医生不友善
I've never said anything unkind about doctors.
我很想看见他们某些人自己也戴上支架
I'd like to see a few of them in their own splints.
听着 伊丽莎白 火车马上就来了
Now look, Elizabeth, the train's going in a minute...
我还有两句肺腑之言 首先
and there are two things I want to get off my chest. First
- 处事圆滑些 多点耐心
- 我从来没有不耐烦!
- Use more tact, more patience. - I'm never impatient!
第二点 你必定会遇见布拉克
And the second point is this. You're bound to run into Brack.
你用了四个书里没有的词 就把他搞疯了
Now you use four words that aren't in the books and that drives him mad.
如果你说痉挛 他自己也快痉挛了
If you say spasm, he'll have a spasm.
错乱 失调 再训练
Alienation, incoordination, reeducation.
你说那些词 他根本不懂
He just doesn't know what you mean when you use those words.
- 而且他也不愿费心思搞懂
- 这是你要面对的现实
- And he won't take the trouble to find out. - That's one of the facts you have to face.
无论是对他还是其他专家 那些不是专业术语
To him and to all the specialists, those are not scientific terms.
所以不要说
So don't use them.
那痉挛除了痉挛还能怎么说?
What are you going to call spasm except spasm?
叫做...肌肉疾病
...Call it a, er... muscle condition.
- 肌肉疾病?
- 肌肉疾病 不要说痉挛
- A muscle condition? - Muscle condition, but not spasm.
- 再见 医生
- 再见 祝你好运
- Goodbye, Doctor. - Goodbye, good luck.
- 别说痉挛
- 别说痉挛
- And no spasm. - No spasm.
很抱歉 护士
I'm sorry about this, Sister.
我让你搬进来时 并不知道这里不适宜医疗使用
When I let you move in here, I didn't know the place was unfit for hospital purposes.
陶德先生 当我搬过来时 这里还可以用于医疗
When I moved in here, Mr. Todd, it was not unfit for hospital purposes.
直到我把牌子挂上
Not until I put that up.
有需要帮忙再找我
Let me know if there's anything I can do.
谢谢 陶德先生
Thank you, Mr. Todd.
这位病人刚刚结束隔离期
This patient has just finished his quarantine isolation.
在发病时 出现了小儿麻痹症的常见症状
At the onset of the attack, the familiar symptoms of polio appeared.
脖颈僵硬 头疼 肌肉疼痛发热
A stiff neck, headache, fever with ensuing muscular pain...
伴随着四肢功能丧失
followed by the loss of the use of arms and legs.
这个男孩很快送来这里 我把他完全固定
This boy was brought here immediately and I advised total immobilization.
由于脊髓前角细胞被破坏
Certain muscles have become paralyzed
部分肌肉已经麻痹
owing to the destruction of the anterior horn cells of the spinal cord.
结果就是 未被感染的强壮肌肉
The result was that strong unaffected muscles
不断拉扯无力的麻痹肌肉 造成畸形
were pulling against weak paralyzed muscles and producing deformity.
在座的医生们在骨科界从业多年
You doctors who have worked so many years in orthopedic medicine
想必很了解病患常见畸形形态
know the familiar tortured position of the victims very well.
这里是最先进的支架器具 用来矫正畸形
Here you see the most modern application of splints to prevent deformity.
布拉克医生
Dr. Brack.
在右臂上 我使用的是最新型的肩外夹板
Here on the right arm, I've applied the latest type of airplane splints.
布拉克医生
Dr. Brack!
女士们先生们 这位是伊丽莎白·肯尼小姐
Ladies and gentlemen, this is Miss Elizabeth Kenny,
她对病理有初步的了解 对这种疾病有一套治疗方法
who has some original notions on the pathology and treatment of this disease.
肯尼小姐 我想你是来找我探讨小儿麻痹症的
Miss Kenny, I presume you've come to discuss infantile paralysis.
是的 布拉克医生
Yes, Dr. Brack.
为了不浪费在座各位大忙人的时间
in order not to waste the time of these busy people
大家都是来听我讲的
who after all came to hear me,
我建议咱们暂缓讨论
I suggest that we postpone the discussion.
暂缓多少年 医生?
How many years, Doctor?
肯尼小姐 如果你早点打电♥话♥通知我就好了
Miss Kenny, I'll be glad if you were to call at my office.
我给你办公室打过三次电♥话♥
I've called at your office on three different occasions.
- 你预约时间了吗?
- 你的秘书回绝了我的预约
- Did you have an appointment? - Your secretary refused to give me one.
那就再联♥系♥她 肯定能安排上
Well, get in touch with her again. I'm sure it can be arranged.
我们正处于疫情中 我很忙也是正常的
We're in the middle of an epidemic. It's quite likely that I was engaged.
上次我看见你在悠闲地喝茶
The last time I was there you were having tea.
我希望这堂课不再被打扰了
Well, I hope that this class will not be further disturbed.
我说到哪儿了
Now where was I?
哦 对 我用在右臂上的夹板是...
Oh, yes. The type of splint I've applied on the right arm...
布拉克医生
Dr. Brack.
我比你更讨厌现在这样
I don't like this any more than you do.
但我绝不可能在办公室见到你
But I have no reason to believe I'll ever see you in your office.
而我必须给这个问题要一个回答 最好是公开的答复
And I must have an answer, and a public one if possible, to this question.
为什么你要阻碍我的工作?
Why do you prevent me from doing my work?
肯尼小姐 我没有阻碍你的工作
Miss Kenny, I don't prevent you doing your work.
- 是医学界权威人士阻止的
- 是你要求的
- It's the authorities. - At your request.
你这样说未免太不礼貌了吧?
Isn't that putting it rather rudely?
那你告诉我该如何礼貌?
Do you know how to put it politely?
嘘
Shh!
女士们先生们 既然被打岔无法避免
Ladies and gentlemen, since we cannot avoid this interruption,
不如就借此机会
perhaps we can make use of it.
作为思想包容的科学界人士 我们接受未经试验的想法
As open- minded men of science, we do not reject ideas without examination.
肯尼小姐的想法和20年前的我很相似
Now, Miss Kenny's ideas were familiar to me 20 years ago.
我甚至允许了图文巴的全科医生麦克唐纳
I even permitted a general practitioner, Dr. McDonnell of Toowoomba,
去试验这种方法 但结果并不好
to test them with very sad results.
肯尼小姐的名字频繁出现在报纸上
Nobody who reads the newspapers in which Miss Kenny's name appears
看报的人没人能无视她的存在
more and more frequently, can be unaware of her existence.
但或许大家并不了解她的观点
But they may be unfamiliar with her ideas.
那么 在座有多少人知道所谓的肯尼疗法的?
Now, how many of you hear know anything of the so- called Kenny treatment?
肯尼小姐 你想在课堂上跟大家讲讲我的无知吗?
Miss Kenny, would you like to tell this class how ignorant I am?
以及传统疗法有多么危险?
And how dangerous the orthodox treatment of this disease is?
我当然要说
I certainly would.
但我觉得你不是无知 只是固执的犟驴脑袋
But I don't think you're ignorant. Only pig- headed.
请下来说
Well, come down here, please.
来这边
Come over here.
畅所欲言
Speak freely.
阐述你的理论
Explain your theory.
好吧 我们二人之间最根本的分歧在于
Well, the fundamental difference between us...
究竟哪块肌肉是病态的
is which muscle is sick.
继续
Go on.
布拉克医生 我没想到你能这么宽容
Dr. Brack, I didn't expect to find you so tolerant.
这是20年来我第一次在众多骨科专家面前讲话
This is the first time in 20 years I've been given a hearing before orthopedic men.
好的 肯尼小姐 请继续
Yes, yes, Miss Kenny. Go on.
布拉克医生认为一块肌肉麻痹
Well, Dr. Brack considers that one muscle is paralyzed...
后面的肌肉是健康的
and the opposing muscle is healthy.
而我认为后面的肌肉是染病的 痉...
I say the opposing muscle is sick, in spa...
叫它肌肉疾病
Well, call it a muscle condition.
当发现这样的肌肉疾病时
the first thing to do when you find a muscle condition like that...
首先要使用温热疗法来减轻痉...肌肉疾病
is to apply moist heat and reduce the sp... the muscle condition.
首先要让肌肉放松
The first thing to do is to keep the muscles relaxed.
如果上了夹板 只会让痉...
If you put them in splints, you'll only make the sp...
我是说 让肌肉疾病更恶化
I mean, the muscle condition worse.
是的 这是合理的 如果你的概念是正确的
Yes, that would be quite reasonable, if your concept were correct.
说说康复期吧
Now come to the convalescence stage.
- 在痉挛之后...
- 痉挛?
- Well, after the spasm... - Spasm?
对 痉挛!
Yes, spasm!
痉挛缓解后 肌肉貌似恢复如常
After the spasm is relieved you find the muscles look perfectly normal.
但实际上并没有 它们错乱、失调 需要再训练
But they are not. They're alienated, incoordinated, and they need reeducation.
但在小儿麻痹症中并没有痉挛这一说法
There is no such thing as spasm in infantile paralysis.
失调 再训练 错乱
Incoordination, reeducation, alienation.
这些词可能在离婚法庭上出现 在医学上并没有
You'll find that word in the divorce court, not in medical science.
这不是专业术语 是胡言乱语 是你自造的
These are not scientific terms, they're gibberish, you invented them.
是的 对于一个新的理念来讲 新概念需要新词汇
Yes, for a new concept. New ideas need new words.
我用这些词描述我的亲眼所见
The words I use describe the things I see.
为什么我们没有见到呢?
how is it that we don't see them?
因为你们的眼睛都被书本、专业词汇蒙蔽了
Because you've got a book in front of your eyes, whole libraries, words.
如果你对我所讲的有兴趣 就不会斤斤计较我的用词
If you're interested in what I mean you wouldn't quibble about the words i use.
如果不严格细心用词 那就无以成为科学
Without the strict and careful use of words there could be no science.
如果你用无意义的词发表观点 那我们没必要浪费时间了
We can't waste any more time if you express yourself in terms that have no meaning.
对我有意义!我就把它叫做痉挛 我治疗了痉挛!
They have meaning for me! I call it spasm. I treat spasm!
你有治疗方法 对吗?
And you get cures, isn't that right?
很多医生都用这一点来抓我的小辫子
Lots of doctors have tried to catch me on that one.
我没有宣称我能治好
I don't claim to have a cure.
但我有改善的疗法 医生 你的失败病例也适用
But I get improvements, Doctor, even with your failures.
我只有从你失败的地方入手 才有机会证明自己
I'd only have a chance to show what I could do if I started where you do.
在急性发作期
电影精选列表