一堵由绿蛇纹岩构成的坚不可摧的岩石墙壁
An hard, impervious wall of green serpentine rock
像天然堤坝一样阻挡着那片地下海
which acts as a natural dam to what lies beyond. A vast underground ocean.
如果这堵墙要是破了 整个桑德迪奇矿场
If that water is released, the whole of the Sonderditch mines
将会被完全淹没
would be totally flooded.
你对此非常确定?
You're quite sure about this?
我的首席地质学家马莱最近在另一侧进行了一系列探测
My top geologist Marais recently conducted a series of probes on the other side
那里只有水 除此之外什么都没有
and the results prove there's nothing there but water.
看来我们是指望不了找到什么金矿了 是吧?
We wouldn't want to find any gold, would we?
正是如此
Exactly.
任何挖掘堤坝都会让高压的水流倾泻而出
Any dig through the dyke would release that water under fantastic pressure.
足以在 24 小时内摧毁桑德迪奇和整个矿区
Enough water just to destroy the Sonderditch and the whole minefield in 24 hours.
也就是说 先生们 这为我们的计划画上完美的句号♥
In other words, gentlemen, the finishing touch to our scheme.
全球黄金产量将减少30%
World gold production cut by 30%
并且 黄金价格不可避免地会上涨
and, inevitably, the price of gold freed.
那这个洪水 会淹死多少矿工?
This flood, how many men would be drowned?
嗯 不多 也就正在作业的班组
Well, not many, only the actual gang working there.
其他人应该都会有一些预警时间
Everybody else would have some warning.
伤亡风险会降至最低
There'll be a minimum of risk.
先生们 这可是五十亿的赌局
Gentlemen, there are 5000 million dollars at stake.
风险自然存在
Of course there are risks.
比如在座各位的保密能力
One of them is our individual discretion.
then?
是的 好的
当然
- Yes. Okay.
- Sure.
那关于财务安排……
As to the financial arrangements...
精彩的阐述啊 曼弗雷德 考虑得真周到
A masterly exposition, Manfred. Very discreet too.
你是什么意思?
What do you mean?
你没有提及你的初步掘进工程上周已经塌方了
I mean you omitted to mention that your preliminary drive on the dyke caved in last week.
还失去了你那位合作愉快的总经理
And you lost your nice cooperative General Manager.
我觉得提这个可能会让事情变得复杂
I didn't think I should mention that, it might have confused the issue.
你当然本来是要告诉我这些的 对吧?
You were going to tell me, of course?
当然 边喝雪利酒边聊
Yes, of course, over a sherry.
干杯 抱歉这不是南非的酒
Cheers. Sorry it's not South African.
出了什么问题?
What went wrong?
有人疏忽了事 只是稍微耽搁了一下
Someone was careless. It's just means a slight delay, that's all.
要多久?
How long?
我们仍然能在圣诞节前完成一切
We'll still make it by Christmas.
你最好能
You better.
我们都期待着一个非常繁荣的新年
We're all looking forward to a very prosperous new year.
你好
Hello.
您好
Hello.
我能帮到你什么吗?
Can I help you?
也许吧 我为您的祖父工作 罗德·斯莱特
Maybe, I work for you grandfather. Rod Slater.
是的 我丈夫曾经提到过你 你是地下工程经理
Yes. My husband spoke about you. You're the underground manager.
没错 我负责把矿挖出来 其他人又把它埋回去
That's right. I dig it up, the others bury it again.
不过是埋进银行里
In banks.
这个要掉了
That one can come off.
吉尔伯特 斯莱特先生想见斯泰纳先生
Gilbert, Mr Slater would like to see Mr Steyner.
谢谢女士 请跟我来 先生
Thank you, ma'am. Please come this way, sir.
我最好不要把这个带进去
I'd better not go in with this.
谢谢
Thanks.
斯莱特先生
Mr Slater, sir.
请进 斯莱特 请坐
Come in, Slater. Please, sit down.
来杯酒吗?
A drink?
如果可以的话 请来杯苏格兰威士忌
Scotch, if I may, please.
我想和你聊聊
I wanted a chat with you.
我觉得在我家里谈会更私密一些
I thought it'd be more private, here in my home.
关于谁将接替莱默的传言实在太多了
There are too many rumours about who's going to replace Lemmer.
我没有听说过
I hadn't heard any.
那么你认为会是普鲁默接替?
Then you assume it's going to be Plummer.
他是资历最老的人
He is the senior man.
是的 但问题就在这里
Yes, but that's the trouble.
他太"资深"了
He's a little too senior.
我需要既熟悉业务
I need someone who knows the operation
但不受旧方法和旧偏见的束缚
but isn't tied in to the old methods, the old prejudices.
我实在听够了"这事办不到"......
I'm so tired of hearing what can't be done...
如果你不介意的话 我希望你不要在这吸烟
I'd rather you didn't smoke. If you don't mind.
矿井即将要进行一次大整顿
The mines are in for a shake-up.
我在寻找一个年轻些的人
I'm looking for a younger man to be the general manager.
需要敢闯敢干的人来推动这场变革
Someone adventurous to help me do the shaking.
你怎么看?
What do you think?
我觉得你需要一个年轻、有冒险精神的人
I think you need a younger, adventurous man.
我看过你的档案
I've been looking at your record.
你没完成你的工程学学位 还因行为不端被开除
You never finished your engineering degree. Expelled, disorderly conduct.
我后来通过函授补完了
I finished it by correspondence course.
当答案通过邮寄递交过去时 个人的品行就不重要了
Your conduct doesn't matter when you send your answers by mail.
在Blyvoor的首份矿场工作就得了两项袭击罪名
First mining job in Blyvoor, two charges of assault
然后才加入我们
and then you joined us.
起初表现不佳 总是冒不必要的风险
Bad record at first, taking unnecessary risks.
但自从担任地下经理以来 你的记录堪称典范
But since you've been underground manager, your record has been exemplary.
我肯定是变得成熟些了
I must've matured.
但在私人生活方面却不是
But not on the private side
离婚已经两年 每月支付 450 兰特作为赡养费
divorced two years ago, alimony, 450 rand a month
注:兰特 RAND:全称南非兰特 南非的货币
每月要支付 150 兰特的抚养费给约翰逊小姐
a paternity suit by a Miss Johnson cost you 150 rand a month.
在希尔布罗有一套昂贵的公♥寓♥和一辆未付清贷款的昂贵跑车
An expensive apartment in Hillbrow, an expensive sports car not paid for.
这些都是高额开支 斯莱特先生
These are high overheads, Mr Slater.
所以 你是要给我加薪吗?
So, you're advancing to give me a raise?
不
No.
但是总经理这个职位确实应该有更高的薪水
But the job of general manager does carry a higher salary.
是要给我这份工作 还是仅仅是一次询问?
Is this an offer, or just an inquiry?
两者兼有
A little of each.
当然 我的提名还需要获得董事长的批准
Of course, I'd have to get the approval of the chairman for my nomination.
他不喜欢离过婚还读函授的人?
He doesn't approve of divorced men who took a correspondence course?
未必 这要看情况
Not necessarily. It depends.
取决于什么?
Depends on what?
取决于我能在多大程度上信任你
On how much I could rely on you.
如果你将成为总经理
If you were to become general manager
你的未来就和我们绑在一起了 你将是我的人
your future would lie with us. You'd be my man.
我必须能够完全信赖你
I'd have to rely on you.
你可以信赖我
I think you could do that.
很好 我很高兴我们谈过了
Good. I'm glad we talked.
你自己知道怎么从花♥园♥里出去吗?
Can you find your own way out through the garden?
我想可以 我记得进来时的路
I guess so. It's the way I came in.
已经干完活了 斯泰纳夫人?
Finished work already, Mrs Steyner?
当然了 如果你把园艺称作工作的话
Yes, if you call gardening work.
任何涉及挖掘的事情都算是工作 你介意我抽烟吗?
I would call anything that involves digging work. Do you mind if I smoke?
不介意
Not at all.
会议顺利吗?
Did you have a successful meeting?
非常顺利 如果你丈夫说到做到的话
Very. If your husband is as good as his word
我就是新的总经理了
I'm the new general manager.
我想老爹对此会有话要说
I imagine Pops will have something to say about that.
老爹?
Pops?
我的祖父
My grandfather.
有什么好笑的?
What's so funny?
CRC 主席被称为"老爹"
The chairman of CRC being called Pops.
我是唯一一个这样称呼他的人
I'm the only one who calls him that.
我信 我打赌你有很多特权
I bet you are. I bet you could get away
去做很多人不敢做的事
with a lot no one else would dare to.
他人还行 但我认为他会很适合我们
He's cool, but I think he's right for us.
赫希菲尔德会想要选普鲁默的
Hirschfeld will want Plummer.
这可不行
It's out of the question.
普鲁默跟他走得太近了 在做任何行动之前
Plummer's too close to him, he wouldn't make a move
都会先征求那位老头子的意见
without consulting with the old man first.
这可不行 我得说服他接受斯莱特
No, I'm just going to have to convince him about Slater.
我得走了 希望我们能很快再见面
I better be going. I hope we see one another again soon.
再见 斯莱特先生
Goodbye, Mr Slater.
斯泰纳夫人
Mrs Steyner.
也许她能帮上忙
Maybe she can help.
也许
Maybe.
晚上好 斯莱特先生
Good evening, Mr Slater.