准许你延期偿还余款
to grant you an extension to repay the balance,
不过 恐怕也不会太久
but, um, not long, I'm afraid.
30天
30 days.
额
Ah, the, uh,
上校来了
the colonel's arrived.
昨晚有个贼闯进了银行
Um, a thief broke into the bank last night
偷了一大笔钱
and stole an enormous sum of money.
恕我失陪 我有一些……
If you'll excuse me, I have some, um,
一些烦心事要处理
some unpleasant business to attend to.
早上好
Good morning.
早上好 先生
Morning, sir.
这边请
Uh, please, come this way.
和你一样 雷金纳德也在继续研究
Like you, Reginald continued to study the strange
怪异的科学
and bizarre aspects of science.
他希望他的研究能获得
He hoped his research would earn an admittance
皇家学会的许可
into the Royal Society.
你的发现相当令人震惊 不过……
Nothing as impressive as your discovery, but-
这个能获得许可
This will do.
你有信心能找到恢复的方法吗
Are you confident you can find a cure for your condition?
这是我在伊平镇的工作重点
It was to be the focus of my work in Iping.
但没有我的研究日志 我什么也做不了
But I can do nothing without my research journals.
偷我钱的蠢货把日志也偷走了
The fool who stole my money took them too.
没有它们 要找到解药
Without them, discovering an antidote
就要从超过30万
involves trial-and-error mixtures
甚至40万种化学组合的混合物中试错
for over 300,000, maybe 400,000, chemical combinations.
这将花费我一生的时间
It would take my whole lifetime.
你得告诉我你是怎么做到的 格里芬
You must tell me how you achieved this, Griffin.
这是科学奇迹
It's a miracle of science.
要是在大学的时候
If only you had cared this much about me
你也这么关心我就好了
during my time at university.
我把每一分钱都投入到我的研究中
I devoted every shilling I possessed to my research.
为什么要隐形
Why invisibility?
亲爱的艾德琳
Oh, dear Adeline,
我研究的不是如何隐身
I wasn't researching how to be unseen.
我研究的是如何随心所欲
I was researching how to be free.
我的实验取得了无与伦比的成功
My experiments met with unparalleled success,
但我的房♥东不耐烦了
but my landlord grew impatient,
我知道你在里面
I know you're in there!
我几乎来不及结束研究
and I had little time to conclude my research.
格里芬
Griffin!
当他来收房♥租时
When he came to collect his rent,
我别无选择
I had no choice.
我做出了惊为天人的举动
I put on an act that would have made any magician proud.
我的脑袋里已经充满了
My head was already teeming with plans
各种疯狂而美妙的计划
of all the wild and wonderful things
我现在可以自♥由♥去做 而不受惩罚
I now had the freedom to do with impunity.
但我的胜利很短暂
But my triumph was short-lived.
我是个天真的傻瓜
I had been a naive fool.
在寒冬和肮脏拥挤的城市中
What helpless absurdity an invisible man is
一个隐形人很无助
in the cold climate
是多么的荒唐啊
and a dirty, crowded city.
每次过街都有危险
Every crossing was a danger,
每个行人都会警惕地观察
every pedestrian a thing to watch alertly.
在凛冽寒冬中 我没有栖身之所 没有蔽体衣物
I had no shelter, no covering in the coming winter,
而穿上衣物我就白隐身了
and to get clothing was to forego all my advantage.
雪在我身上堆积
Snow was settling upon me,
雨会使我有一个水形轮廓
rain would make me a watery outline,
一个闪闪发光的男人体表
a glistening surface of a man.
伦敦的雾会让我有个幽灵般的身影
London fog would turn me into a ghostly bubble,
比任何被雾模糊的普通人
more visible than any ordinary man blurred
都要明显
and obscured by it.
我偶然发现了一家简陋的服装店
I stumbled across a humble costuming shop.
那天晚上店主回家后
That night after the store owner had gone home,
我找了一套服装
I rummaged out a costume
偷走了所有我能找到的现金
and robbed him of any available money I could find.
最后 我走进了外面的世界
Finally, I went out into the world,
当起一个怪诞但仍然可信的人
a grotesque but still credible figure.
我意识到隐形能够让我
I realized invisibility made it possible
获得财富和权力
for me to gain wealth and power
但也让我无法享受它们
but also made it impossible to enjoy them.
我最终去了伊平镇
I eventually made my way to Iping.
本来应该悄无声息 很安全的
It was supposed to be quiet and safe.
我想在那里找到恢复自己的方法
I went there to find a way of restoring myself.
随后
Then,
我被一个本该帮忙的人背叛了
I was betrayed by the one man who was supposed to help.
很了不起 格里芬
It's remarkable, Griffin.
非比寻常
Remarkable.
他们将不得不重写世界上的教科书
They'll have to rewrite every textbook in the world.
想想你能赚到多少钱
Think of the fortune you might raise
你能用它做多少好事
and the good you might do with it.
我们必须想得更远 亲爱的
We must think bigger than that, my dear.
埃迪上校
Colonel Adye.
真让人松口气
Such a relief
你延缓了银行的止赎权
you were able to delay the bank's foreclosure.
你是如何创造这样一个奇迹的
However did you pull off such a miracle?
我在美国的哥哥给我寄来了必要的资金
My brother in America sent me the necessary funds.
他自己过得很好
He's doing quite well for himself.
的确
Indeed.
搞铁路的
Railroads.
嗯
Hmm.
有些人很有商业头脑
Some men have such a good head for business.
其他人
Others,
就像你的亡夫 致力于科学
like your late husband, for science,
但科学很难赚到钱吧
but science hardly ever pays the bill, eh?
要是善行和恶行一样有回报就好了
If only the good deeds paid as well as the bad.
从来都不会有
They never do,
对吗 肯普夫人
do they, Mrs. Kemp?
你把你丈夫退休后最喜欢的外套拿出来了
You brought your husband's favorite coat out of retirement.
距离我最后一次看到
It's been years
他穿着这件外套穿过城镇已经很多年了
since I last saw him walking through town in this coat.
我在睹物思人
I was reminiscing.
看来你的财富已经变了
It seems, perhaps, your fortunes have changed.
奇怪的是这个世界总是过得很好
Strange how the world always gets on just fine,
你不觉得吗
don't you think?
无论什么样的悲剧降临到我们这些凡人身上
No matter what tragedies befall us mere mortals.
银行的现金被盗了
The bank's available cash is stolen.
幸运的是
Fortunately for them,
你还给了他们一大部分
you were able to pay them a sizeable fraction
你所欠的债务
of what you owe,
用的现金
in cash.
你到底为何而来 上校
Why exactly are you here, Colonel?
你知不知道
Did you know
银行被偷的钱是你所还金额的两倍
the bank was robbed of twice the amount you paid them?
我好奇那笔钱去了哪里
I wonder where that money disappeared to.
或许那个神秘的流浪汉能给你答案
Well, perhaps that mysterious drifter might have answers for you.
同意
I agree.
所以我在追踪他的行动轨迹
That's why I'm tracking his movements.
说不定他能带警方找到银行被盗的钱
Perhaps he can lead my police to the bank's stolen money.
但显然
But apparently,
我不是唯一对他感兴趣的人
I'm not the only one interested in him.
你好像在给这个地区的
You appear to be messengering letters
贫困家庭送信
to poor houses all over the region
寻找那个流浪汉
in search of the vagrant,
托马斯·马弗尔先生
Mr. Thomas Marvel.
你怎么知道他名字的 艾德琳
How did you come by his name, Adeline?
你怎么拿到这些的
How did you get these?
我一直向各地区当局通报
I always alert authorities around the regions
有关人员的情况
about persons of interest.
他们把信转交给了我
They forwarded me the letters.
它们看起来不像你的笔迹
They appear little like your handwriting.
电影精选列表