剧集 | 百事,我的战斗机呢(2022) | 导航列表
他联♥系♥我跟我说了百事可乐的这次事件
He reached out and told me about this Pepsi story,
我深感震惊 因为…
and I was just really in shock,
对BBDO这样一家大型广♥告♥公♥司♥来说针对如此重要的广♥告♥
because for BBDO, a major ad agency, to have an oversight
居然疏忽到没有放免责申明
of not putting a disclaimer in an ad of that magnitude
这简直不可思议
was unbelievable.
所以我们要想出一些…我的意思是 这得让人一看难忘
So let's come up with something that… This needs to be memorable.
我希望它能有冲击力
I want it to be a shot.
这不能是一记直拳 而得是右勾拳
This isn't a jab. I mean, this is a… this is a big right hand.
(广♥告♥攻击)
我23年前弄了这些 然后保存了起来
I developed these 23 years ago and then I saved them,
因为我知道会有这么一天
'cause I knew this moment was gonna come.
我们认为拍一张以百事可乐标志
We thought it was pretty ballsy to have a photo
作一个人的黑眼圈的照片 这很大胆我们觉得这很能吸引眼球
with a Pepsi logo as a black eye, we thought it was arresting,
我们希望它具有象征意义同时也能引起
and we wanted it to be symbolic
大家对这个故事的兴趣
and also create interest in the story.
我觉得这招很聪明 有文字说明…
I thought it was super clever. It had wording with it.
百事可乐 欺骗了一代人
"Pepsi. Deceiving a generation." -I was like, "That's good."
我说:“很棒啊”我想所有人都会说:
“是啊 很棒” 很有创意 对吧?
I think everybody was like, "Yeah, that's great." That's creative, right?
它是关于这次战斗的
It's about this battle.
这是第二则广♥告♥的全部内容
And this was the entirety of the second ad,
在这幅印件的底部写着:
with this copy at the bottom, and it reads,
“嘿 百事可乐 看下面
"Hey, Pepsi, look down here."
这里是用来写法律条款的
"This is the space that's reserved for legal verbiage."
你知道的就是那些能让你免于麻烦的东西
"You know, the kind of stuff that keeps you from getting yourself in trouble
因为它否定了可能出现在你们广♥告♥里的一切模棱两可
because it negates any ambiguous or otherwise misleading promises
或有误导性的承诺
that may appear in your ad."
很不错的安全措施 对吧?
"Pretty cool safety measure, huh?"
对 但很不幸你们的百事积分电视广♥告♥里
"Yeah, but unfortunately, your Pepsi Points television commercial
没有这样的免责说明
didn't have any such disclaimers."
因此像约翰伦纳德这样的观众就会觉得这个奖品
"So viewers such as John Leonard were left to think
和T恤和墨镜一样真实”
the offer was as genuine as the T-shirts and sunglasses."
所以 如果这还没用
So then, if that had not done the trick,
我们就会放出压箱底的大招
we were gonna break out the heavy artillery.
这个广♥告♥讲述了发生在菲律宾的事
This ad tells the story about what had happened down in the Philippines.
“1992年
"In 1992,
百事可乐‘数字狂潮’促销活动让这个软性饮料巨头非常头疼
Pepsi's Number Fever promotion led to a huge headache for the soft drink giant."
百事可乐仅为中奖者提供500比索 即20美元 犯了众怒
"Pepsi angered the winners by offering only 500 pesos… 20 dollars."
这听起来差不多就是…
"That almost sounds like
两箱免费的百事可乐”
two cases of free Pepsi."
这招很高明
It was brilliant. You know, I guess if I was Trump, I'd say it was beautiful.
我猜如果我是特朗普我会说它相当漂亮
没有比这更美的燃♥烧♥弹♥了
There's never been a more beautiful Molotov cocktail ever.
热度逐渐升高 而对我来说
The temperature was getting turned up, and for me,
我很喜欢
I liked it.
我是第一个觉得这个创意很聪明的人
I was like, the first one I thought was clever.
看起来就像一记刺拳
It seemed like a jab.
第二个看起来就像是种躯干击打
The next one seemed like a body shot,
然后燃♥烧♥弹♥的那个我觉得看起来就像致命一击
and then the Molotov cocktail seemed like a knockout punch to me.
我们找到几家愿意登这些广♥告♥的报纸
We found some papers willing to run the ads.
包括《今日美国》
Including USA Today.
另外 我们还预定了一个广♥告♥牌
Also, we have a billboard reserved
就在百事公♥司♥总部的对街
across the street from Pepsi's headquarters,
因为我希望让百事可乐的高管们至少有一个月
because I wanted the Pepsi executives, for at least a month,
每天来去办公室时都会看见那个广♥告♥牌
every day they came into the office and left the office to see this billboard.
我想要一拳打在他们的鼻子上不断提醒他们这件事情
I wanted to punch 'em right in their nose, constantly reminded of this thing.
然后我们拿到了价格 成本测算
But then we got to numbers, cost projections, and they weren't small.
数额不小
-具体是多少?-我记得是几十万
What are we talking?
A couple hundred K, as I remember.
我们的想法是让霍夫曼提供资金
So then the idea was that we were gonna have Hoffman fund it.
他那70万已经拿回来了
He's got the $700,000 back, 'cause Pepsi sent the money back to him.
因为百事可乐把钱还给他了
所以我们推测他有钱可以花在这件事上
So presumably he has that money to spend on this effort,
而且我们两个人住一个房♥间也有段时间了
and we've been staying two to a room for some time now,
所以在这方面他也省了些钱
so he's been saving money in that regard.
我记得我们坐在一起 他在游说我
I remember sitting down with him and him giving me the pitch,
他有几块故事板挂在那儿
and he has a couple of these storyboards up there.
它们都非常负面…
And they were really negative,
暗示犯罪…
incriminating.
这让我很不舒服
It didn't sit well with me.
但约翰非常喜欢
But John loved it.
约翰非常喜欢 约翰非常喜欢
John loved it, John loved it.
“拜托 陶德我们就这么做吧 陶德!”
"Come on, Todd. Let's do it. Let's do it, Todd!"
就我而言 我完全被说服了
To me, I was very swayed.
我确实有些走投无路的感觉
I did feel kind of this sense of desperation.
我觉得事情没有按照正确的方向在发展
It felt like things were not going in the direction they needed to go.
陶德看到了可能的麻烦
Todd saw liability
觉得不该翻百事可乐的旧账
to take an issue with some of these things that had happened in Pepsi's past
并且反复强调它们
and put a big spotlight on 'em.
感觉就像 我们把这些放在百事可乐面前 然后说:“听着
It felt like we put this before Pepsi
如果我们不能跟你们达成和解
and said, "Look, if we don't make a settlement with you,
我们就要在全美国投放这些广♥告♥”
we're running these ads all over the United States,"
我查了一下“勒索”这个词我觉得这么做完全属于这个范畴
look up blackmail, and I would say it fits that category.
霍夫曼期间问过我:
Hoffman at one point asked me,
“你觉得百事可乐因为这些东西
"What do you think the likelihood is that Pepsi's gonna sue John over this?"
起诉约翰的可能性有多大?”
我说 100%
And I said, "100%."
我记得霍夫曼说:
I remember Hoffman saying,
“那你怎么能建议我们去推进这件事呢?”
"How can you possibly advise that we should run this ad campaign?"
我说:“因为它最终并不会导致什么严重的后果 陶德
And I said, "Because, Todd, it's gonna all come out in the wash."
在这件事上 百事可乐基本没有胜算
"Pepsi will not succeed in the case, most likely."
所有事情最后都能得到解决
"It'll all be settled in the end."
约翰要么得到一架鹞式战斗机
"Either John's gonna get a Harrier Jet,
要么约翰伦纳德会拿到赔偿金”
or there's gonna be money that's gonna be paid to John Leonard."
我对这种事并不陌生
I'd been around the track a time or two.
我并不喜欢他给我推荐的东西
And I didn't like what was being pitched.
他想让我们做的很多事情
A lot of the things that he wanted us to do
都和他曾经做过的事非常相似
bore a very strong resemblance to things that he did
而如今他因为那些事要被关进联邦监狱了
that he's going to federal prison for right now.
骗人的是百事可乐而现在我们要做些
Pepsi's the one saying something false, and now we're gonna do something
同样糟糕的事和他们一起跳进粪坑里?
that's just as bad and jump into the cesspool with them?
不 我才不要因为一架鹞式战斗机去坐牢呢
No. I'm not going to prison over a damn Harrier Jet.
你也不会 约翰
And you aren't either, John.
陶德不觉得这个“陷入泥沼”
Todd, did not see this get-down-in-the-mud,
“扔手榴弹” “扔燃♥烧♥弹♥”策略会成功
throw-hand-grenades, throw-Molotov-cocktails route to success.
在最后关头 陶德霍夫曼拔掉了插头
In the eleventh hour, Todd Hoffman pulled the plug.
我跟陶德说:“听着
I told Todd, I said, "Listen, you're on the verge of fucking this up."
你会把这件事搞砸的
靠边站 我有愿意加入的人
"Step aside."
"I've got people that will come in,
自会有人代替你出钱
we're gonna buy you out of your position,
我们一定会推进这件事”
and we are going to proceed."
陶德和我成为朋友已经挺久了
Todd and I had been friends for quite some time,
但在这个案子的过程中迈克尔和我也结下了友谊
but throughout the course of this case, Michael and I struck up this friendship.
我们在很多方面都志同道合
We were like-minded in many ways.
约翰当时跟我说他希望把霍夫曼踢出局
John told me that he wanted Hoffman out of the deal at that point,
因为他相信除非我的策略能得到执行
'cause John believed there wasn't gonna be anything left
否则我们只会一无所有
unless my strategy was followed.
我告诉约翰 我不想成为勒索大♥师♥
I told John I don't want to be a jack-up artist. That's not the idea.
这不是我们的初衷
对这件事我就是这个态度了你想我退出?那我就退出吧
That's where I'm going with this. You want me out? I'll get out tomorrow,
但我是不会做那些事的
but I'm not going in those directions.
陶德希望能继续掌控全局
Todd wanted to maintain control,
如果那意味着飞机只能去撞山了
and if that meant that the plane flew into the side of the mountain, so be it.
那就让它撞吧
他当时完全是软硬不吃
He was just being absolutely impossible to deal with.
这是典型的陶德霍夫曼作风
It was typical Todd Hoffman.
我会说 迈克尔现在戴着脚镣 而我没有
I would say Michael's wearing an ankle bracelet, and I'm not.
我是自♥由♥之身 我晚上不会失眠
I'm a free man, and I go to sleep at night
也不用担心任何人来报复我
and I don't have to worry about anybody coming after me
或者联邦调查局的36项指控
or 36 federal indictments,
不用面对牢狱之灾
facing years in prison,
或者任何此类的东西
or any of that shit.
我自♥由♥生活在这个上帝的国度里
I'm living out here in God's country.
我必须做出一个重要的战略决定决定该往哪个方向走
剧集 | 百事,我的战斗机呢(2022) | 导航列表