剧集 | 富贵浮云(1999) | 导航列表
but he was a man of honour, my father.
他从不欠人赌资
He would never have reneged on a gambling debt.
就这样 我的父亲 我自己 我的新娘
So, there we were, my father, myself...my bride.
我只说了一句话 就一句
One sentence passed my lips and only one.
我说 你是让我娶那个邋遢女人吗
"Will you marry me to that dowdy? " I said.
我跟那个女人结了婚
I took that girl for my wedding wife and
第二天我就去了法国
was off to France the following day.
新娘则重返学校
The bride went back to the schoolroom.
我身在国外 完全无心回去
I was in no hurry to return from my tour.
一年变成两年 两年又延长到三年
One year turned into two, two stretched to three.
当我真的回来的时候 我迟迟不想去见她
And when I did get back, I was slow to claim her.
我做了什么呢
What did I do?
我跟我的朋友去了剧院
I went to the theatre with a group of my friends
在那里我看到一个女人
and there I saw a woman.
在对面的包厢里 一个美丽绝伦的女人
A splendid woman in the box across.
我迫不及待想知道她是谁
I couldn't wait to know who she was.
我发现了什么
And what did I discover?
她竟然就是我亲爱的妻子
She was my own dear wife.
作为惠斯特牌的赌注 真是丢人
The humiliation, to be wagered in a hand of Whist.
噢 亲爱的
Oh, my love.
我父亲输掉了牌局 但我得到了奖品
My father lost the game, but it was I who won the prize.
如果她不是那么漂亮呢 父亲
What if she hadn't been beautiful, Father?
那你可能会很痛苦
You might have been miserable.
你母亲和我很幸福 因为我听从了父亲的话
Your mother and I are happy because I obeyed my father.
我们不仅仅是幸福
And we are not merely happy,
我们是伦敦最幸福的夫妻
we are the happiest couple in London.
伦敦并不全是幸福夫妻的
London is not full of happy couples.
我都是为你好 我一直这样
I do everything for your good, I always have.
我是全英国最娇惯孩子的父亲
I'm the most indulgent parent in England.
我们的家人间一直都相亲相爱 非常幸福
The affection within our family was considered unusual,
但尽管他很爱我们
but, much as he adored us all,
他的放任也是有限度的
my father's indulgence had its Iimits.
卡洛琳小姐
Lady Caroline.
这位是我妹妹 艾米丽
This is my sister, Emily.
福克斯先生 -艾米丽小姐
Mr Fox. - Lady Emily.
我们不耽误你吧 -没有 下院可以等
Do we delay you? - No, the Commons can wait.
等一会儿
For a while.
你认为本社交季如何 卡洛琳小姐
And how are you enjoying the season, Lady Caroline?
责任要比快乐多 -跳舞 娱乐
It is more duty than delight. - Dancing? Entertainment?
调情 你都不喜欢吗
Flirtation? You don't like them?
我不喜社交 偏好独处
I enjoy solitude more than company.
你好 亨利 -不喜喧闹 偏好宁静
Hello, Henry. - Peace more than bustle.
不喜虚妄 偏好谦逊
Modesty more than vanity.
小小年纪不该有这样的偏好
Oh, you are too young for such preferences.
年龄能决定偏好吗
Does age dictate preference?
您年长些 福克斯先生
You are older, Mr Fox,
您却不喜欢独处
yet you are no friend to solitude.
我只希望坦然面对 逆来顺受
I plan to take what the world has to offer.
您好 大人
Ah, Your Grace.
我可拿自己的女儿怎么办啊 福克斯先生
What am I to do with my daughter, Mr Fox?
她回绝了所有求婚者
She refuses all her suitors.
卡洛琳小姐是所有男人竞逐的对象
Lady Caroline is a prize that all men would desire.
如果她再这样下去
If she continues in her present manner,
她会一辈子嫁不出去 -妈妈
she will end her days unwed. - Mama.
那怎么会呢
I cannot believe that.
她遗传了您的魅力呢
She has her mother's charm.
大人 失陪了
Your Grace, if you will excuse me?
小姐们
Ladies.
松露猪
The truffle hog.
低级动物
A lowly animal
没什么特别习性
of insignificant habits
外表亦丑陋
and unfortunate appearance.
上帝让宇宙万物如此有序
God has so organised the universe
即使在动物界
that, within the animal kingdom,
也有身份等级
there are degrees and hierarchies,
跟人类世界一样
just as there are in the human world.
如果我们
If we consider...
把狮子
the lion,
奉做平原上的君主
the monarch of the plains.
狮子生来就具备力量 以及能力
The lion is given his strength and his power,
以此统治比它低级的动物
so that he may rule over lessr...
卡洛琳小姐 你不觉得世界很无趣吗
Are you not bored with the universe, Lady Caroline?
一点也不 福克斯先生
Not in the least, Mr Fox.
..但成为狮子的食物
..But it is also their destiny
也是他们的宿命 想想...
to become the lion's food. Consider...
您可真勤奋好学 -嘘
Such a studious young lady. - Sssh.
牛应该去捕获猎物吗
Should the cow hunt?
此想法荒谬可笑
The notion is ridiculous.
牛生来就是吃草产奶的
The cow was designed to graze and to milk.
而且也有哞哞叫的权利
And also permitted to moo.
有时 上帝创造一个生物的目的
The precise position of a creature in his creation,
或许是不明确的
may, at times, be obscure.
若我们花点时间 研究下英国的乡下
If we take time to consider our own English countryside,
我们会在那里发现什么
what may we discover there?
水獭
The otter.
獾
The badger.
仓鼠
The vole.
老鼠
The mouse.
青蛙
The frog.
青蛙有牙齿吗
Does a frog have teeth?
青蛙需要牙齿吗
Does a frog require teeth?
然而黄鼠狼
Whereas the weasel
满嘴尖牙俐齿
has a mouth full of implements
用于撕咬杀戮
designed to fight.
我们不能期望
We must not expect...
福克斯先生
Mr Fox.
我们不该单独在一起的
We should not be alone together.
我就知道在图书室能找到你
I thought I might find you in the library.
马上你就要说我是个书痴了
Soon you will say I am bookish,
我知道那是个贬义词
which I know is a term of abuse.
那词只适合形容那些
It is only applied to ladies who,
像松露猪一般 相貌丑陋的女子
like the truffle hog, are unfortunate in appearance.
就算你从早读到晚 也不会招致非议的
You may read from dawn to sunset and attract no criticism.
真是个奇怪的世界
It is a strange world.
不明白上帝为什么要创造出松露猪
One wonders why God created the truffle hog.
上帝是否存在都不一定呢
If God exists.
你总该相信上帝吧
Surely you believe in God.
为什么
Why?
但是你必须承认神的秩序存于人世
But you must admit there is a divine order.
如果有 我也会与之抗辩
I would quarrel with it if I did.
您抗辩的依据呢
On what grounds would you quarrel?
以我福克斯的晦涩狡辩使他屈服
On the obscure position of the Fox.
你从来都如此不严肃吗 福克斯先生
Are you never serious, Mr Fox?
哦 我是非常严肃的
Oh, I am extremely serious.
你没看到我严肃认真过吗
Have you not seen me being serious?
我看到过你为了升迁讨好他人
I have seen you flatter people for advancement.
首相大人
The Prime Minister.
哈维大人
Lord Hervey.
以及我父亲
My father.
当然 我当时尚且年幼
Of course, I was far too young
不懂姐姐究竟为何相中福克斯先生
to understand then that my sister might see in Mr Fox
认定他的品格要远胜那些徒有虚表之人
qualities more significant than those of mere appearance.
对我来说 他一点也不英俊
To me, he seemed only unhandsome
而且也太老了
and excessively old.
卡洛琳小姐
Lady Caroline.
失陪
Excuse me.
你与哈维大人交情很深吗
You were fond of Lord Hervey?
我在葬礼上总是很哀伤
I am always melancholy at funerals,
即使关系没有那么亲密
even when the connection is not close.
虽然是个葬礼 但至少不是你的葬礼
It may be a funeral, but at least it's not yours.
你不想念你的庇护者吗
剧集 | 富贵浮云(1999) | 导航列表