Beyond that, I hid not the ending.
除此之外,我没有隐瞒结局。
- Nor did you add any flourish to the extraordinary fact that the very next morning-
-你也没有给这个不寻常的事实,增添任何精彩,就在第二天早上...
- The Allegheny had, to quote said,
-引用在阿勒格尼河那段的原文,
"flourish-less report,"
“毫不夸张地报告,”
"shut up hard with ice"so that Colonel Washington, here,
“冻得都张不开嘴”以至于我们这位华盛顿上校,
and Mr. Gist, simply strolled across it.
和吉斯特先生,胜似闲庭信步。
- Aye.
是的。
That would be the weight of it.
这就是它的重要性。
- And, yet, that isn't quite, as you say, the "weight of it," is it, Colonel?
-不过,这还不是,如你所说的,“它的重要性”,对吧,上校?
- Please, Dear Doctor,
-拜托,亲爱的医生,
has the boy not narrowly escaped the hostilities of the Ohio Valley only to be besieged right here in the Governor's Palace.
这孩子不会是,刚侥幸逃脱了俄亥俄河谷的敌意,却又被围困在总督的宫殿里吗?
- I am quite certain, my dear,after such a narrow escape,young Washington has grown quite impenetrable
我敢肯定,亲爱的,在经历了这么一次死里逃生之后,年轻的华盛顿已经变得听不懂
to words fired by a musket blast of gentlemanly inquiry.
那些绅士们质询的“枪林弹雨”了。
Pray tell, Doctor, what say you?
请告诉我,医生,你说呢?
- I say that I spoke to Mr. Christopher Gist earlier today.
-我说,我今天早些时候和克里斯托弗·吉斯特先生谈过。
I have been treating the poor fellow, he's been stricken with a nasty case of frostbite.
我一直在治疗这个可怜的家伙,他得了严重的冻伤。
And, according to Mr. Gist,Colonel Washington fancies the timely occasion
根据吉斯特先生的说法,华盛顿上校在当时的场合下幻想出,
of a shut up Allegheny to be an act of Divine Providence,
在阿勒格尼受阻,是上帝的旨意,
as opposed to the simple,scientific operation of water at thirty-two degrees Fahrenheit.
而不是面对32华氏度的水,采取完全科学的行动。
- Yes, indeed.
-正是。
- And how, George, do you respond to this indictment
-乔治,你如何回应这种控诉,
that some would say to be unreasonable reasoning in the age, of reason, sir?
有些人会说,这是理性时代里的“非理性推理”,先生?
- With bygone earnest I should expect.
-秉着以往的真诚,我能想象的出。
- I hold the thought of Divine Providence quite pleasing, kind sir.
-我始终认为,上帝的旨意是非常令人愉快的,善良的先生。
- As do I for this port.
-我赞同这种姿态。
Find it to be quite pleasing indeed.
我觉得,这确实很令人愉快。
Albeit a bit tart.
虽然有点尖酸。
- Well then, there you have it.
-好吧,就这样吧。
- Dr. James Craik, Colonel.
-上校,我是詹姆斯.克雷克医生。
I've been assigned to serve as chief surgeon in your Provincial Regiment, sir.
我被指派到你所在的民兵团,担任主任外科医生,长官。
- 'Tis a pleasure,
-很荣幸,
although I sincerely hope I will not be in need of your services, Doctor.
虽然我真诚地希望,我不需要你的服务,医生。
- Aye, Colonel.
-没错,上校。
- I shall, between musket fire and war whoops,look forward to the continuance of our discourse.
在枪林弹雨和战争的喧嚣中,我期待着我们继续交谈。
Now if you'll excuse me, I have some matters to attend.
如果你不介意的话,我还有点事要办。
- Uh, war whoops, you say?
-呃,战争的喧嚣?
- Aye, and scalping knives.
-是的,还有剥头皮的刀。
Good eve, William.
晚安,威廉。
A horse, please.
请给我备马。
- I trust not a man endowed with a flourishment of words,
我不相信一个天生语言丰富的人,
his deeds tend to fall short of the monuments constructed by his vocabulary.
他的行动,往往达不到他的词汇,所建造的丰碑。
- If that be a compliment, dear lady,
-如果这算是恭维的话,亲爱的女士,
I attribute my lack of flourish not to any virtue,
我不把我的贫乏归因于任何美德,
but to an inferior education,which I, daily, labor to improve.
而是我每天都在努力改进,我所受的低阶的教育。
- I assume not your virtue,nor lack thereof, dear sir.
—亲爱的先生,我既不认为你有美德,也不认为你缺乏美德。
- With whom might I have the pleasure of speaking?
-我这是在和谁,这么愉快地交谈?
- I'm the wife of Mr. Daniel Custis.
-我是丹尼尔.卡斯蒂斯先生的妻子。
- Of New Kent County?
-是新肯特县的?
- Of the Governor's Council.
-总督的议会成员。
- My father and your husband knew of each other.
-我父亲和你丈夫认识。
He is well regarded.
他很受尊敬。
Now, if you will allow me, madam,it has been a very long evening.
现在,请允许我说,夫人,这是一个漫长的夜晚。
- Many in the House believe your trip to the French Commandant to be theatrics,
-议会里很多人认为,你去见法国司令官,是作秀,
to induce public sentiment,both here and abroad for war.
唤起国内外民众,对战争的支持。
- I assure you, the number of French Regulars I've appraised be not theater.
-我向你保证,我评估过的法国正规军的数量,不是戏剧。
- An appraisal based on Captain Jonquiere's licensed tongue
—根据容永基耶尔上尉,那因喝了不少酒,
which vanished from restraint by a liberal dosing of wine,you count as reliable, sir.
而失去控制的口舌所作的鉴定,你认为是可靠的,先生。
- The fact that I am a gentleman forbids me to answer such a query, madam.
-我是个绅士,所以我不能回答这样的问题,夫人。
Good eve.
晚安。
- Do you also ascribe to the notion that an outpost officer,clearly lacking a military discipline,
-你是否也认为,一个明显缺乏军事纪律的前哨军官,
would be privy to the true nature of the French occupation in the Ohio Valley,
就能了解法国占领俄亥俄河谷的真实情况,
or that Jonquiere's description of insurmountable French presence in the Ohio Valley
或者永基耶尔所说的法国人在俄亥俄河谷不可战胜的存在,
be not mere bluster to seduce the Indians in your charge.
并不是为了引诱你手下的印第安人而虚张声势。
- Where madam, do you get your facts?
-夫人,你的情况是从哪儿来的?
- 'Tis in your journal, sir.
-写在你的日记里,先生。
- 'Tis all in your journal.
-都写在你的日记里了。
- Well, sentiment or no, England is at war.
-好吧,不管民众情绪如何,英国正处于战争状态。
- Why then, have no British Regulars landed in Alexandria to enforce the Governor's ultimatum?
-那么,为什么英国正规军没有登陆亚历山大,去执行总督的最后通牒呢?
- I know not, perhaps a ship sails this very moment.
-我不知道,也许此刻有一艘船在航行。
- I can assure you no ship sails.
-我可以向你保证,没有船驶来。
- 'Tis a big blue sea, madam.
-这是一片蓝色的大海,夫人。
- Doubt me not, Colonel.
-别怀疑我,上校。
As well as being the wife of Daniel Custis,I am also the granddaughter of Sir Daniel Parke,
我不仅是丹尼尔·卡斯蒂斯的妻子,也是丹尼尔·帕克爵士的孙女,
aide-de-camp to the Duke of Marlborough and personal advisor to Queen Anne.
我祖父曾是马尔伯勒公爵的副官,兼安妮女王的私人顾问。
I assure you, sir, I enjoy reliable sources both here and in England.
我向你保证,先生,我在这里和英国都有可靠的消息来源。
No ship travels to our aid, sir. Virginia is alone in this enterprise.
没有船来援助我们,先生。维吉尼亚是孤军奋战。
- Then why critique my appraisals in such a disagreeable manner?
-那为什么用如此不愉快的方式,批评我的军情评估?
What?
什么?
No quip, dear lady?
没话说了吧,亲爱的女士?
- You appraise a mere six hundred.
-你只评估了600兵力。
Are you aware there are reports of over fifteen hundred French Regulars landing on the southern shores of Lake Eerie?
你知道,有报道说,超过一千五百名法国正规军,在艾利湖南岸登陆吗?
That, Colonel, will be an overwhelming force to an army of planters and shopkeepers
上校,这将是一支由你选拔出的种植园主和店主
that you have been promoted to command.
组成的大军的压倒性力量。
And that, sir, is the weight of it.
先生,这就是它的重要性。
- What is your name, madam?
-夫人,你叫什么名字?
- I have told you that I am the wife of Daniel Custis.
-我告诉过你,我是丹尼尔·卡斯蒂斯的妻子。
- You've told me nothing.
-你什么都没告诉我。
- I have, most assuredly, warned you that there will be a force of more than two-thousand-
—我已经非常肯定地警告过你,将会有两千多兵力...
- You are that brass, little girl.
-你就是那个军号♥,小姑娘。
A paste of honey, celery seed and pepper to be used every morning and evening till thou be whole
一种蜂蜜、芹菜籽和胡椒的糊状物,每天早晚都要用,直到你完全康复,
and do not go from a warm fire-
不要从温暖的炉火边走出来...
- To a cold bed.
-上冰冷的床。
How is it that you revive my memory by a cold remedy?
你怎么能用感冒药,恢复了我的记忆?
- Because it is an effective one, dear lady,
-因为它很有效,亲爱的女士,
and because I've thought of that brass, little girl
因为我想到了那个铜管,小姑娘
many times since my father's death.
自从我父亲死后,我想起过很多次。
You are the daughter of John Dandridge.
你是约翰·丹德里奇的女儿。
And your name is-
你的名字叫...
- Martha.
-玛莎。
My name is Martha.
我叫玛莎。
三个月后
维尔斯溪 俄亥俄谷地
内塞斯提堡(必要堡垒)
1754年五月27日,大草地
- [Washington] "I've gotten word that the French were at the crossing of Youghiogheny about 18 miles away.
-[华盛顿]“我想说的是,法国人距离约克加尼河的渡口大约18英里远。”
"I hurried to this place as a convenient spot.
“为了方便,我匆匆赶到了这里。”
"We have with natures assistance made a good entrenchment
“我们在大自然的帮助下,筑起了一个很好的防御工事,”
"and by clearing the bushes out of these meadows prepared a charming field for an encounter.
“清除了草地上的灌木丛,为遭遇敌人,准备了一个诱惑性的场地。”
"I dispatched men to discover the enemy and their strength.
“我派人去调查敌人和他们的力量。”
"I must take the liberty of mentioning to Your Honor
“我必须冒昧地向大人您提一下,”
"the necessity there is for having goods out here to give for services of the Indians.
“这里有必要提供货物,以补偿印第安人的服务。”
"They all expect it and refuse to scout or do any thing without it.
“他们都期待货物,没有货物,就拒绝侦察或做任何事情。”
"These services are paid well by the French.
“法国人给这些服务的报酬是很高的。”
"I really think with five or six hundred pounds worth of proper goods sent,
“我真的认为,送出五六百英镑的货物,”
"it would be in our best interest."
“这符合我们的最佳利益。”
- You're cloak, sir.
-你的斗篷,长官。
Clean as a whistle.
非常干净。
- Thank you, Ensign Gates. - Sir.
-谢谢,盖茨少尉。 —长官。
- [Washington] "I have been obliged to pay shirts for what they have already done,which I cannot continue to do."
-[华盛顿]“我不得不为他们已经做过的事付出代价,而我不能再这样下去了。”
- I know ye must have seen enough fire for one day
-我知道你今天一定看够了火,
and fear the flames.
害怕火焰。
I read a once story about three men who were thrown into a fire.
我曾经读过一个故事,讲的是三个人被扔进火里。
As they looked on, a fourth walked in to protect them.
就在他们看着的时候,第四个人走了进来保护他们。
A Divine presence saving them from the flames...
一个牧师出现了,将他们从火焰中拯救出来...
But where be He now?
但现在,他在哪里呢?
We are just man against undivine man,
我们只是人类对抗邪恶的人类,
until we all be consumed and burned in the flames.
直到我们都被火焰吞噬。
You take first watch.
你来站第一班岗,
We ride out at dawn.
我们黎明时出发。
- Pa, it's me.
-爸,是我。
- That is a good way to get hurt, boy.
-这是很容易受伤的,孩子。
- The French.
-那些法国人。
电影精选列表