1752年,美洲13个殖民地在英国的统治之下。
英国和法国都渴望占有俄亥俄谷地的贸易基地。
该地区的土著部落们纷纷被迫选边站队。
皮卡维拉尼是迈阿密印第安人居住的贸易站。
他们最近打破了与法国和渥太华部落的联盟,加入了英国。
皮卡维拉尼
1752年六月21日,俄亥俄谷地
华盛顿的盔甲
第一卷:旅程
- You pledged safe passage by wampum belt.
-你保证过,给你珍珠绶带,就让我们安全通过。
You pledged safe passage upon our surrender!
你保证过,只要我们投降,就让我们安全通过!
- You...
-而你...
Old Briton,
英国走狗,
my brother, pledged devotion to father
我的兄弟,他曾经发誓过效忠于父亲,
which he breaks by traitorous acts with the British!
他却和英国人勾结,违背了誓言!
Ugh!
啊!
- Father starves our people and steals our land
-父亲让我们的族人挨饿,用烈酒和便宜货,
with liquor and trifles.
掠夺我族的土地。
He is no father.
他不再是父亲了。
And you half breed,
而你,这个杂种,
are no true brother of our cause!
再也不是我族中的真正兄弟了!
- This is not the way of my people nor the King of France.
-这不是我们的,也不是法国国王的方式。
- It is the way of the Ottawa,
-这是渥太华部落的方式,
we'll make our purpose here, like thunder.
我们要在这里展示我们的决心,就像滚雷。
- And the two other traders, Burney and McBryer.
-还有另外两个交易商,伯尼和麦克布雷。
Where be they now?
他们现在在哪里?
- The Miami have hid them.
-迈阿密族人把他们藏起来了。
- Well, then I want them both to Detroit. Unharmed.
-我要他们俩,被带到底特律。别伤害他们。
That'll be all, Ensign.
就这样吧,少尉。
贝尔沃,声名显赫的费尔法克斯家族的庄园
- In the Parlor, Major.
-少校,在客厅呢。
- Madam Fairfax.
-费尔法克斯夫人。
- I do not, as I've insisted on numerous occasions,
-跟你说过多少次了,我不会
reply to Madam or any other form of mummery in your presence.
在你面前,以夫人身份回复,或回复任何形式的戏谑。
To you, my dear boy, I am simply Sally.
对你来说,我亲爱的男孩,我还是那个莎莉。
Might that be? - 'Tis, indeed.
有什么消息? -还真有。
A good fellow in Alexandria did supply it.
亚历山大城的一个好人,给了我这个。
- 'Tis French.
-这是法语的。
- Aye. It's origin, Ma...
-是的。这是原版的,夫...
Sally.
萨利。
- Well, I speak not a word of French.
-我连一句法语也不会。
- Louis the Beloved, my darling...
-宝贝路易,我亲爱的...
George. - William.
乔治。 -威廉。
- ...would have the whole of the Virginia gentry,
-...看来,整个弗吉尼亚的上流人士,
whether noble or landed,croaking out French
不论贵族还是大地主,都要牙牙学说法语了,
if these sensational stories of his encroachments and hostilities in the Ohio Valley
如果这些发生在俄亥俄谷地,关于他的入侵和敌意行为的耸人听闻的各种报道
as published in the Gazette, be certified.
就像刊登在公报上那样,而且被证实的话。
- How do you mean, dear nephew?
-你这是什么意思,亲爱的侄子?
- Dear uncle, father. How was the hunt?
-亲爱的叔叔,父亲。你们的狩猎怎么样啊?
- That the stories published in the Gazette be sensational,how do you mean, sir?
-刊登在公报上的报道是耸人听闻的,你这是什么意思,先生?
- I believe the boy to mean-
-我想,这个男孩的意思是...
- Let him speak his mind, William.
-让他说出他的想法,威廉。
- I will show you.
-我念给你们听。
"From Bristol.
“来自布里斯托。
"A one Mrs. Norman found murdered in her own Huckster shop,in a very dismal manner."
“一位经营杂货铺的诺曼太太,被发现在自己店铺被人谋杀了,惨死得很惨。”
"She, having several marks of violence about her head,
“她的头上有几处暴♥力♥痕迹,
"a large quantity of blood was issued."
“并流出了大量的血。”
Now the owner of the Gazette routinely prints
马上,《公报》的老板例行公事地刊登
forlorn appeals for old shirts, caps and handkerchiefs in order to supply
征集旧衬衫、旧帽子和旧手帕的启事,以供应
it's paper mill.- What are you saying, son?
造纸作坊。 -你想说什么,儿子?
- What I am saying is that the very estate of such an enterprise as printed news
-我想说的是,像印刷新闻这样的企业资产,
demands a measure of sensationalism for it's very survival
为了生存,需要一定程度的轰动效应。
and I'm merely suggesting that we consider that fact before England finds itself in another bloody war with France.
我只是建议,我们在英国与法国陷入另一场血腥战争之前,考虑一下这个事实。
- A fine point, George William.
-有点儿道理,乔治.威廉。
A fine point, indeed.
其实,有点道理。
- Thank you, sir.
-谢谢你,先生。
- Young Washington.
-年轻的华盛顿。
What say you in response to my nephew's claim
我侄子声称《公报》上刊登的报道
that the stories published in the Gazette be sensational and uncertified.
是耸人听闻且未经证实的,你对此有何回应?
- 'Twas not a claim, dear uncle.
-那不是声称,亲爱的叔叔。
- The boy was merely suggesting-
-那孩子只是提了个建议...
- I'm aware, William of the boy's suggestion,
-我已经听了,威廉的,作为男孩的建议,
may also hear what young Washington would suggest as well.
也可能听到,年轻的华盛顿会有什么建议。
- I'd say whether sensational or no,such reports should be certified without delay,
-我想说,不管是否耸人听闻,这样的报道,都应该立即得到证实,
since it is the divine right of the Crown to the Ohio Valley that is in question.
既然这事关俄亥俄谷地的神圣权利,是属于英国王室的。
- You will dine with us tonight, Major.
-你今晚和我们一起吃饭吧,少校。
- It would be an honor, sir.
-这是我的荣幸,先生。
- Seems the boy has rightly answered.
-看来,这孩子回答得很对。
- Afterward, I shall write the letter you requested to Governor Dinwiddie recommending your commission
-之后,我将按照你的要求,写信给丁威迪总督,建议委任你
to carry the Crown's remonstrance to the French Commandant at Fort Duquesne
向迪肯堡的法国指挥官,转达代表英国王室的抗♥议♥书,
demanding immediate cessation of all hostilities and encroachments in the Ohio Valley.
要求他们立即停止,在俄亥俄谷地的一切敌对行动和侵犯。
- Thank you, sir.
-谢谢你,先生。
Thank you.
谢谢你。
- Now, what have you?
-现在,你还有什么消息?
- Le Royale, sir.
-《王室舞曲》,先生。
'Tis to be the first dance at the Governor's Ball of the new year.
这将是总督新年舞会上的第一支舞。
- Ah, a French Minuet. Wonderful.
-啊,一首法国小步舞曲。好极了。
You must learn it, at once.
你得学会它,马上。
- I can't simply just instruct without mastery of the language.
我不能在没有掌握语言的情况下,简单地教跳舞。
- Mm. My nephew was taught parle Francais at Appleby.
-我侄子在阿普比学过法语。
They are still teaching it at the school,are they not? - They are.
他们还在学校里教这门课,不是吗? -是的。
- Very well, then,William shall translate and Abraham will offer a lively beat.
-那好吧,威廉来翻译,亚伯拉罕来提供欢快的节奏。
- Excellent.
-太好了。
- Well, then, there it is.
-好吧,那就这样。
- No one has journeyed beyond Logstown with reports,sensational or no, of French and Savage butchery at Pickawillany.
—不管是否耸人听闻,没人能带着关于法国人和野蛮人在皮卡维拉尼屠♥杀♥的报道,走出洛斯敦。
And you would send a mere boy into the midst of it.
而你却要把一个小伙子,送进“虎穴”。
- Not I, William, Governor Dinwiddie shall send the laddie on behalf of His Majesty.
-不是我,威廉,丁威迪总督会代表陛下,派这个小伙子去执行任务的。
- Oh, shall he do so as the Governor of Virginia or as stockholder in the Ohio Company?
-哦,那他是以弗吉尼亚州总督代表的身份,还是以俄亥俄公♥司♥股东的身份?
- Be it of any consequence, dear cousin,if the French be successful in their efforts to drive the English from these Tidewaters?
亲爱的表弟,如果法国人成功地把英国人赶出了潮汐区域,那又有什么关系呢?
- Be it of any consequence...
-不管结果如何...
if the boy dies in the wilderness?
万一,那孩子死在荒野里呢?
- 'Tis mesure trois quarts.
-这是三拍子节奏。
It's a three quarters measure in a zed figure and you may circle more than once while presenting hands.
这是一个四分之三拍,走“之”字形舞步,你可以在举手的时候,多转一圈。
Now, remember, George, that the graceful motion of the arms,and the giving of the hand,
现在,记住,乔治,手臂优雅的动作和伸出的手,
and all material parts of a gentleman's dancing of the utmost importance,a man of fashion.
以及在绅士舞蹈时周全的考虑,是一个上流人士的头等大事。
Now, let us begin.
现在,我们开始吧。
What you'll be doing,is you'll be waiting for the count down and then you'll be coming together.
你们要做的是,默念拍子计数,然后再聚合到一起。
- I have had some instruction in the Minuet.
-我已经在小步舞曲方面,得到过一些教导。
- Right.
-那好。
Abraham.
亚伯拉罕。
- Good morn', Major Washington.
-早上好,华盛顿少校。
- Good morn'.
-早上好。
'Tis there be the letter of Lordship to Governor Dinwiddie?
这是勋爵大人给丁威迪总督的信吗?
- 'Tis.
-是的。
His Lordship spotted the red fox this morn',he be on the chase with the colonel.
勋爵大人今天早上发现了那只赤狐,他正和上校一起去追。
- And, what of Miss... - Sally?
-还有,小姐在做... -萨利?
Asleepin', I expect.
我估计,还在睡呢。
- Aye. 'Tis early.
-是啊。太早了。
- It is.
-正是。
His Lordship said you are to insist that the Governor send you with a letter
勋爵大人说,你要坚持让总督在派你送信的同时,
addressing Mister Christopher Gist of Will's Creek orderin' him to accompany you on the journey.
造访威尔溪的克里斯多夫·吉斯特先生,命令他陪你同行。
Mr. Gist is from the Ohio Company.
吉斯特先生来自俄亥俄公♥司♥。
He has surveyed the winter lands beyond Logstown.
他勘察调查了洛斯敦以外的冬季土地。
- I shall so inform the Governor but I need only a translator.
-我会告知总督,但我只需要一个翻译。
- His Lordship is head bullied on the matter.
-勋爵大人在这件事上,被人欺负了。
Mr. Gist is accompanying you.
吉斯特先生陪着你。
- Very well, then.
-那就很好了。
- Your mother, sir.
-你的母亲,先生。
- What about my mother?
-关我母亲什么事?
- His Lordship will have you attend to your mother at Ferry Farm with mindful and warm goodbyes before proceeding on.
-老爷会让你在费里农场,照顾你的母亲,在离开之前,别忘了和她温情道别。
- Be that the speech of Lord Fairfax,
-这是费尔法克斯勋爵的话,
or that of yours, Abraham?
还是你的话,亚伯拉罕?
- You buried a brother, sir.
-你埋葬了一个兄弟,先生。
But she buried a son.
但她埋葬了一个儿子。
Say your goodbyes, Major.
向她告别吧,少校。
电影精选列表