所以他才测量头骨
Which is why he's measuring skulls.
你知道吗 博厄斯先生和他的团队一直在测量头骨
You see Mr. Boas and his men have been measuring the skulls
成千上万种人
of thousands of kinds of people
以了解更多关于脑容量的知识
to learn more about brain capacity.
有个观点
And this idea that
有的种族比其他种族更有智慧
one race is more capable of intelligence than the others
很少有证据能证明这一点
there's scanty evidence to prove that.
哦 他还说 当其他科学家研究印第安人时
Oh, and he says when other scientists are studying Indians
通常从一些心理学定律开始
they usually start with some laws of psychology
然后用这些定律去套在印第安人头上
and then try to fit the Indians to those laws.
但他坚持我们应该去真正接触每个新部落
But he says we should just approach each new tribe
一个不落地
one by one
抛开那些既存的定律
as if there are no laws.
不带任何预设的观点
As if we know nothing.
比如说印第安人吧
See, with Indians
如果我们用欧洲人的眼光来看 我们会错过很多信息
if we look at them through European eyes, we miss so much.
我们被自己先入为主的想法和期望所束缚
We are bound by our preconceived ideas and expectations.
如果我们想向印第安人学习
And if we want to learn anything from the Indians
就必须放下这些
we have to let those go.
我们需要消除我们的优越感
We need to strip away our presumption of superiority.
因为我们的知识实在是太浅薄了
Because our knowledge is just so scanty.
我们必须拓宽思想
We have to open our minds.
也许吧
Maybe.
我承认 在北美的印第安人身上
I will grant there is much more data to gather
还有很多数据有待收集
concerning the North American Indians.
但一味建议科学家们
But it is foolish to suggest that scientists
在接触新现象时应抛开一切知识也不明智
should abandon all knowledge when approaching new phenomena.
我们已经对世界上的不同种族了解了很多
We′ve already learned so much about the different races of the world.
我们分类分♥析♥他们各自的先天能力
We've cataloged their natural abilities
文化倾向 脑容量
cultural tendencies, cranial capactiies
对疼痛的敏感性
sensitivities to pain.
一个真正的科学家
A real scientist
有了这个知识库 这个知识体系
takes this corpus, this body of knowledge
他就能提出假设
and he forms hypotheses
再对其进行检验
that would then be tested
以此来研究该领域出现的新现象
when new phenomena are encountered in the field.
这就是所谓的"科学方法"
And that is called the "Scientific Method".
你必须提出可验证的假设来
You must have a hypothesis to test against.
否则你只是在记录毫无意义的事实
Otherise you're just accumulating meaningless facts
有趣的故事罢了
cute stories.
是的
Yes.
我觉得他说的跟你说的完全一致
And I think he was saying things about everything you just said.
是我有失偏颇了 很明显
I'm not doing him justice. It was very clear.
你一定要小心 许多人只想普及他们的研究
You must be very careful. Many of these men, they want to popularize their research,
在对未受过训练的听众讲话时 他们就会随心所欲
so when speaking to untrained audiences, they take liberties.
尤其是德国人
Especially with Germans.
他们看起来很博学
They look so knowledgable.
哦 不 他个子不高 皮肤黝黑 毛发浓密
Oh no but he was quite small, and dark, and hairy.
反正吧 他说的话我也不完全同意
Anyhow, I didn′t agree with everything he had to say. I mean
他说的这些谁又能真的完全了解呢
I mean who knows about a lot of that stuff.
比如他坚称
Like he argues that
世界各地宗教的相似之处
similarities in religions around the world
是无法用大脑的某种机制来解释的
can't be explained by some mechanism in the brain.
嗯 这可能是真的
Well, that can be true.
但在我看来 他显然疏漏了最明显的解释
But it seems to me he's missing the obvious answer.
那就是存在一个超越界
That there is a spirit world
就在我们周围
all around us
每个宗教都在传递这个想法
which every religion is channeling.
【办公室】
嘿 我们都要去妓院
Hey, we're all going to a whorehouse.
办公室
嘿 我们都要去妓院
Hey, we're all going to a whorehouse.
你要来吗?
You want to come?
我不确定 我不知道该穿什么
I'm not sure. I wouldn't know what to wear.
我相信你肯定有行头
I'm sure you have something.
要我们帮你挑吗?
You want us to help you pick?
有劳了
Yes please.
我非常感谢你的建议 因为
I really appreciate your advice. Because you know
我真的不了解科罗拉多的社会环境
I just don't know Colorado society
作为一个外地人 我当然想入乡随俗
And being an out-of-towner, I of course want to fit in
但绝不流俗
and stand out.
我认为诀窍是
And I think the trick
找到合适的腰带
is finding the right belt.
我喜欢这些围巾 都是纽约货吗?
I love all these scarves. Are they all from New York?
呃 我在曼哈顿买♥♥的 但它们来自世界各地:
Well, yes I bought them in Manhattan, but they're from all over the world:
中国 巴黎 土耳其
China, Paris, Turkey.
我们走路还是骑马?
Are we walking or riding?
我更想走着去
I reckon we'll walk.
太好了 可选择余地又增加了
Oh good, that really opens up my options.
你觉得
What do you think about
这个配这个怎么样
this with these?
我不会穿有这么多口袋的衣服
I wouldn't wear something with so many pockets.
看起来像个骗子
It makes you look like a swindler.
骗子 可不是嘛
A swindler, of course.
所以我才需要你们 我毫无头绪
That's why I need you. I had no idea.
你为什么这样晃来晃去?
Why are you dangling like that?
拉伸拉伸我的后背
It stretches out my back.
我也应该做些伸展运动
Oh, I should do some stretches too.
我的背总是疼
My back always hurts.
我不想再当牛仔了
I don't want to be a cowboy anymore.
哦 我可以想象
Oh, I can imagine.
我才骑了一天 我的背就快散架了
I've only been riding for a day and my back is an absolute mess.
来 我教给你一些拉伸动作
Here, I'll show you some stretches.
没有妓♥女♥
No whores anywhere.
要不咱们做一场降神会?
Perhaps a séance?
什么?
What?
降神会
A séance.
也许能为我们的朋友召唤一些魂灵的陪伴
To raise the spirits of some companions for our friends.
这是个好主意 不是吗?
It's a good idea, no?
我们在欧洲经常这样做
We do that a lot in Europe.
你一定知道怎么进行 对吧?
You must know how to perform them, right?
嗯...
Well..
是的 当然
Yes, of course.
在我们开始之前
Before we begin
你是否相信灵界的存在并不重要
It is not important whether you believe in the spiritual world.
你只需要做好接触的准备
You just have to intend to contact it.
花点时间做这件事
Take a moment to do that.
好吧
Alright.
尽量找个舒服的姿势
You can get yourself comfortable
也可以躺下
lay back if you like.
让大地支撑你
Let the earth support you.
让眼睛轻轻地闭上
You can allow your eyes to gently close.
现在开始深呼吸
Now begin to breathe deeply.
慢慢地吸气
Slowly inhaling
呼气
and exhaling
让空气进入
letting the breath flow into
流出你的口腔
and out of your mouth.
吸气
Inhale.
呼气
Exhale.
感觉能量
Feel that energy.
流经你的全身
It flows throughout your body.
感觉它到达你的手掌
Feel it reach your hands.
感受它们的分量
Notice their weight
和内在的暖流
the warmth inside them.
感受你双手的能量
Feel the energy of your hands
体会它们如何既是你的一部分
how it is both a part of you
却又自成一体
and not.
感受凉爽空气吹拂过你的皮肤
Feel the cool air touching the surface of your skin.
冷和热都是能量
The cool and hot are both energies.
既是你的一部分
They are both a part of you
又自成一体
and not.
电影精选列表