Ye
话说 阿恩他近来如何?
Say, how is... how is Arn?
近来...
How... How is--
天啊 多久没见了来着?
I ain't seen him in, gosh...
至少一年没见过他了
at least a year, maybe longer.
是啊 嗯
Ye Uh, no.
我也很久没见过他了
Ye I... I ain't seen him either.
人生嘛 不都这样
Ain't that how it goes?
我来吧
Let me help you.
来
Here.
手今天不怎么听使唤 - 来吧
My hands are not working today. Here.
我来给你绑
I got you.
谢谢 - 别客气
Thank you. - Ye No problem.
格兰尼尔的伐木生涯也就此终结
And with that, Grainier was finished as a logger.
过去几年他总在等
The last few years,
等人生的顿悟时刻如神启般降临
he expected some great revelation about his life would descend upon him.
那是什么呀?
What's that?
换你试试
Can you do that?
可神启始终未至
But as of yet, none had.
渐渐他也开始相信 那注定是场空盼
And he was beginning to doubt that one ever would.
你好呀
Hey.
又没除草是吧?
Not been doing the weeding, huh?
如今镇上零工不断
These days, there was plenty of work in town
只要肯跑腿就有活儿干
for anybody willing to get around after it.
他手里突然多了两匹马和板车一驾
He came into possession of a pair of horses and a wagon,
然而说来也是桩伤心事
by a sad circumstance, however.
艾弗里?
Avery?
若是晚生三十年
Avery Pinkham's heart condition would have been easily diagnosed and cured
艾弗里·平卡姆 那点心脏毛病也不至于送命
had he been born a generation later.
平卡姆先生!
Mr. Pinkham!
格兰尼尔和平卡姆家立约
Grainier contracted with the Pinkhams
分期三百美元换得马儿和板车
to buy the horses and wagon for $300 in installments.
从此便当起了货运车夫奔波度日
And he kept himself busy as a freighter of sorts.
这拉货的营生倒也像是一张戏票
The hauling itself was a ticket to a kind of show,
让他旁观众生百态 阅尽邻里荒唐事与辛酸泪
composed of the follies and endeavors of his neighbors.
后面坐得还舒服吗?
Y'all comfortable back there?
还行
Yes.
这份生计让他与旁人的距离 比多年来任何时候都要近
The work put him in closer contact with them than he had been in years.
可他却只感到更深的孤独
And yet, he only felt more alone.
不合胃口?
No?
对兔子温柔些
Be gentle with the rabbits.
它们不知道你不会伤害它们
They don't know you're not gonna hurt them.
凯特
Katie.
汤...
Miss, uh...
汤普森女士?
Miss Thompson?
叫我克莱尔就好 你一定就是罗伯特
Claire. You must be Robert.
是的 女士
Uh, yes, ma'am.
幸会
Nice to meet you. Ye You too.
我刚才在车站找你来着
Nice to meet you. I was looking for you at the train station.
我等了几分钟没见人 就先走起来了
Oh yeah, I waited a few minutes for you before I decided to start walking.
实在抱歉 这俩家伙今早磨蹭得厉害
Yeah, I'm really sorry. It took me a little while to get these ladies going this morning.
还送你去瞭望台吗?
And, uh......would you still like me to take you up to your lookout?
不麻烦的话
Oh, if it's not too much trouble.
当然不麻烦 请上车
No, of course. Jump up.
我帮你...
You wanna...? - Yep.
行啊
Oh, okay.
好
All right.
坐稳了?
All right. Ready?
出发喽
All right.
你家乡是哪儿?
What parts are you from?
四海为家
Oh, I've been all over.
不过在蒙大拿诺克森待过最久
But I lived a long time over in Montana. Noxon.
我还没去过蒙大拿
I've never seen Montana.
可美了 值得走一趟
Oh, beautiful country. Yeah, worth the trip.
他们跟我说起过你
They told me about you, you know?
他们是谁?
Who's they?
推荐你的那些人
People who recommended you.
怎么说的?
And what did they say?
说你不一样
That you were different.
人不都不一样吗?
Ain't everybody different?
才不
No.
不一样是好事
It's a good thing to be different.
反正我是这么想
As far as I see it, anyway.
能置身此地真是何其有幸
I'm so happy to be here. This valley is special.
这片山谷可不一般
这儿以前全埋在冰川底下
Used to all be under a glacier, you know?
冰层达900米厚
Three thousand feet of ice.
后来冰川化开 洪水冲过整片大地
When it broke, it just flooded the whole region.
继而刨出这些山谷
Carved out all these valleys.
那些湖泊也是这么形成的
That's where all those lakes come from.
想象要是当时站在这儿
Can you imagine if you were back here then?
看着万丈冰墙裂开 轰隆轰隆塌下
This big block of ice, thousands of feet tall,
冰冷刺骨的洪水咆哮而来
and just the cracks and the freezing-cold water.
任谁都会相信末日已至吧
It must have felt like the world was coming to an end.
知道吗?那些神话就是这么来的
That's where all those myths come from, you know?
那些大洪水传说
All those flood stories.
世界各地各门宗教都有自己一套
All those different religions all over the world.
说到底都是同个故事 不同演绎罢了
It's just the same story, different slants.
瞧我说的 我没有冒犯你信仰的意思
Hey, I didn't mean to be disrespectful to anything you believe or anything like that.
我就是...
I just, you know...
不会
No, no, no.
就是觉得不可思议
I just find it fascinating.
身处这样的地方就忍♥不住去想
Can't help it when I'm in a place like this. It's just...
这世界古老至极
The world's an old place.
是啊
Ye
大概早已见惯一切了吧
Probably nothing it hasn't seen by now.
克莱尔曾在一战欧洲战场当护士
Claire had worked in Europe as a nurse in the Great War.
如今受雇于新成立的美国林♥业♥局♥
Now she was employed by the newly created US Forest Service
负责监管伐木作业及预防山火
as part of an effort to manage timber cuts
以达到森林保育之目的
and prevent forest fires.
多谢
Oh, uh, thank you.
很高兴认识你 罗伯特
It was nice to meet you, Robert.
多谢你送我一程
Thank you for the ride.
也很高兴认识你
It was very nice to meet you too.
好 那你慢走
Ye Okay.
给 - 谢谢
There you go. - Thank you.
不需要我帮你吗?
You don't need a hand?
不用 - 真不用?好吧
Nope. - No? Okay.
保重
Take care now.
吓着你了?
Did I scare you?
哎
Oh boy.
罗伯特
Robert.
凯特!
Katie!
不怕 没事的
It's all right.
盖上毯子就...
Just gonna put a blanket over...
妈妈...
Mama...
汤普森小姐?
Miss Thompson?
你在吗?
Are you up there?
罗伯特?
Robert?
真是意外
What a surprise.
近来可好?
How are you?
还不错
Good.
冒昧前来 没吓着你吧?
Ye I hope I didn't startle you.
不会
No. Not at all.
我正准备去做勘察
I was just heading out for an afternoon survey,
就听见你喊我
and... and I heard you call.
是啊
Oh, ye
我... - 你...
Yeah, I-- - Did you...
我就是路过
I was just passing through
想着过来看看你
and thought I'd just, you know, check on you.
这么高不瘆得慌吗?
Doesn't get spooky up this high?