Thank you.
在那儿呢
水!
Water!
水?
Water?
要帮妈妈浇花吗?
You gonna water the plants for Mama?
不觉得太过分了吗?
Don't you think it's too much?
她们凭什么遭这罪?
How did... How did they deserve that?
为什么?
Why?
到底为什么!
Why?!
早啊 罗伯特
Hello, Robert.
吃点东西吗?
You hungry?
这趟来真不知会遇见什么
I didn't know what I'd find out here.
镇上那些你的传闻 实在听得人心慌
You wouldn't believe the stories they're telling about you in town.
这些钱我会还的 我保证
I'll pay you back for all this. I promise.
没让你还
I didn't ask you to.
不过 还是谢谢你
Well, I sure do appreciate you coming up
过来看我
to check on me.
一起走走吧
Let's take a walk.
这里是盖小屋的好地方
This is a good spot for a cabin.
喜欢听我叫你名字吗?
Do you like how I say your name?
罗伯特
Robert.
她们...
They're...
她们...
They're...
她们是不会回来了
They're just not coming back.
对不起
I'm sorry.
对...对不起
I'm... I'm sorry.
我控制不住自己
I don't know what came over me.
把皮剥了
Skin him.
格兰尼尔在焦土上搭了个斜顶棚
Grainier raised a lean-to at his homesite,
便这样度过残夏
and there he lived through the rest of the summer,
垂钓斑点鳟鱼
fishing for speckled trout
猎寻专长在火烧过的土地上
and hunting for a rare and flavorful mushroom
被加拿大人唤作羊肚菌的稀有菌菇
the Canadians called morel,which sprang up on ground disturbed by fire.
他从未对人言说 心底却始终残存着一丝希望
Though he confessed it to no one,
盼着格莱蒂斯和凯特哪天会归来
he held some faint hope that Gladys and Kate might somehow return.
因此想确保一切都准备周全
And he wanted to be ready for them if they did.
喂!
Hey!
走开!
Get out of there.
从哪儿冒出来的?
Where'd you all come from?
你是谁家的狗?
Who do you belong to?
有人吗?
Hello?
你们不该在镇上待着吗? 看着就是镇上的狗
Shouldn't y'all be in town? You look like town dogs.
过来
Come on.
希望你们吃得惯鱼吧
I hope you all like fish.
来 闭上眼睛
All right. Close your eyes. Ready?
好了 洗完了
All right, you're free. Come on.
这些真是你的崽吗?
Are these puppies really yours?
跑这么远来干什么?
What are you doing all the way out here?
你懂多少?
Huh? How much do you know?
会打滚吗?
You roll over?
坐下?
And sit?
捡东西?
Fetch?
凯特
Katie!
看见了吗?
See that?
你觉得这些是什么狗?
What kind of dog do you think they are?
不好说
I don't know.
长得倒挺像狼的 是不是?
They appear quite wolfish. Aren't they?
说不定...
I mean, maybe, uh...
说不定红狗自己在外头
maybe Red Dog got with a wolf out there
跟哪只野狼配上了
somewhere on her own, you know?
不可能
No, that's impossible.
怎么不可能?
Why not?
只有一狼有交♥配♥权
Only a he-wolf ever mates.
那就是狼群中的狼王
And that's the chief of the wolf pack.
然后呢?
Uh-huh.
只有狼王选中的母狼才能怀崽
And the she-wolf he chooses to bear his litter
也是唯一会发♥情♥的
is the only one that ever comes into heat.
要是
What... What if
红狗也刚好发♥情♥呢?
Red Dog was in heat?
狼王只认准一个
He chooses only one.
那要是红狗正好在那一刻
Well, what if... what if she encountered the chief wolf
碰上了狼王呢?
at the exact moment?
懂我意思吧?狼王难道不会
You know what I mean?
图个新鲜而破例一回吗?
Would he not take her just for the newness of the experience?
“图个新鲜”?
"Newness of the experience"?
对
Ye
怎么?
What?
“图个新鲜”
"Newness of the experience."
会嚎不?你也来嚎两声试试?
Can you howl? Huh? Can you howl too?
来嚎一个
Huh? Can you howl?
小家伙
Hey, buddy.
嘿 你个小不点
Hey. Hey, little one.
过来
Hey.
在伊格纳修斯·杰克的帮助下
With Ignatius Jack's help, he raised the four walls of the cabin
他在原地重新立起四面木墙
precisely where the old ones had stood.
红狗?
Red Dog?
可始终找不到勇气重建卧室
He could not bring himself to rebuild the bedroom.
那一年 一颗大彗星悄然划过天际
In that year, a great comet appeared in the sky,
世人说这预示着末日将至
which many said signaled the end of days.
可两周后 又如轻烟般无声消散 杳无踪迹
But after two weeks, it faded away as quietly as it had come.
重建好的新屋与旧居别无二致
The rebuilt cabin looked much like the first one.
唯独那无边的空寂 时时将他压得喘不上气
But the emptiness of the place at times overwhelmed him.
数年光阴飞逝 他仍然在等待
Years passed, and he found himself still waiting.
尽管早已说不清自己到底在等什么
Though at this point, he couldn't say for what.
都给我爬起来滚去白松林!
Get your asses up on that stand of white pine!
给我竖起耳朵听好 礼拜天老子睁眼
I want every one of those trees down this mountain
这山坡上要还有半颗立着的白松
before I wake up on the Lord's day!
我就每天扣你们每人一元工钱!
After that, I'm docking each one of you one dollar a day!
给我动起来!
Let's go!
动起来!
Let's go!
老头 让开 那玩意儿给我
Hey. Watch out, old man. Let me see that thing.
你去拿个横切锯吧
Go get a crosscut or something.
我只是不知道怎么...
I just don't know what--
当心 当心!
Look out! Look out! Look out!
当心 伙计们!
Look out, boys!
兄弟 要是渴了就喊我一声
Hey, let me know if you want some water. You'll be okay.
需要搭把手吗?
Need some help up?
能否借个火暖和暖和?
You mind if I warm up a minute?
比利? - 哎
Billy? - Ye
是你吗?
Is that you?
是 咱俩见过?
Yes. Do I know you?
前几年在萨尔摩-普利斯特林场 一起干过
Yeah, we cut together in Salmo-Priest a few years back.
跟阿恩·皮普尔斯一起的
I'm... I was a friend of Arn Peeples.
我是罗伯特
I'm Robert.
啊 想起来了
Oh, yes.
你好啊 罗伯特
Hi, Robert.
见到你真好
It's good to see you.
一样
You too.
没想到你还在干这行
I mean, I can't believe you're still out here.
我这年纪都有点跟不上了
I can barely keep up at my age.
我现在也就是照看下蒸汽集材机
Ah, well, I just look after the steam donkey
给它添水、上油
and keep it watered and greased.
也干不动别的了 好歹混口饭吃
Not much else I can do, but it's a living.
比利 你觉得
Say, Billy, do you think it's a little different now out here?
这行当是不是变味儿了?
不知道是真变了还是从来就这样
I don't know if it's different or if it's always been this way.
也许我当年也很横 跟现在这些小伙子一个样
Maybe I was rougher and just like these boys.
只是不记得了
I, uh, just don't remember it.
千古难题不就这回事
Well, uh, that is the age-old question,
你说是不 兄弟?
ain't it, friend?
无解之题啊
That is the question.
是啊