Back then, we'd riddle a bole with auger holes.
有时候还得等上一周 等大风来放倒那些庞然大物
Sometimes we had to wait a week for a good wind to topple them behemoths.
然后轰隆一下全倒下来
And then they all came tumbling down at once.
比你们这里砍的随便一棵 都要粗上一倍呢
Trees twice as big as any you're cutting around here.
在亚利桑那比斯比城外干活那阵
I worked on a peak outside of Bisbee, Arizona,
山头上离太阳就十七八♥九♥公里
where we was only 11, 12 miles from the sun.
温度计上显示47摄氏度
A hundred and sixteen degrees on the thermometer.
每一度能把水银柱抻长30公分
And every degree was a foot long.
那还是在阴凉处测的
And that was in the shade.
虽然压根就没阴凉处
And there weren't no shade.
来了来了
He's coming up. Here he comes.
若上帝是棵红杉
If the Lord was a redwood
你是否会试着将祂砍下?
Would you try to cut Him down?
还是攀上祂慈爱的枝桠 眺望天涯?
Or climb up His loving branches And look around?
若涛涛河流是逝者的眼泪...
If the river was the tears Of those who have passed...
别唱了 别人还要睡觉呢
Quit your singing! I'm trying to sleep over here.
阿恩 快睡吧你 - 闭嘴别唱了!
Arn, go to bed. - Stop singing!
嘿 阿恩
Hey, Arn.
不唱了 我不唱了
I won't... I won't sing no more.
不是的
No, no, no.
你跟阿德里安说 这些帐篷是南北战争时候留下的?
You told Adrien that these tents are from the Civil War?
没错 联邦步兵用的
That's right. Union infantry.
后来给骑兵团打印第安人那会儿用
After that, they went to the US Cavalry for the Indian campaigns.
这些老帐篷 比里面睡过的人寿命都要长
These old things have served longer than the people they sheltered.
粗帆布做的 估计咱入土了还烂不了
Rough canvas, but they'll probably be here long after we're gone.
你又怎么还没睡?
What's keeping you awake over there?
我...
Oh, uh...
阿恩 你觉得...
Arn, do you... do you think that...
我们做过的坏事 会跟着自己一辈子吗?
the bad things that we do follow us through life?
我也不知道
I don't know.
我见过恶人飞黄腾达 好汉受尽苦难
I've seen bad men raised up and good men brought to their knees.
要能搞明白这道理啊
I reckon if I could figure it out,
早搂着俏佳人钻被窝了 哪用陪你睡帐篷
I'd be sleeping next to someone a lot better-looking than you.
刚才那歌♥叫什么名字?
What was that song that you were singing?
没名字 灵光一现就唱了几句
Uh, it... it don't have a name. It just come to me.
再唱一段吧?
Why don't you sing a little more?
别 我可不想惹毛那帮明尼苏达小子
No, no. I... I don't want to upset the Minnesota boys.
等等 我...
Well, wait a minute. I...
这样吧
Here.
工队每次作业都向森林更深处推进
The crews began to move deeper into the forest with each job.
世人对木材的贪求仿佛没有尽头
There seemed to be no end to the world's appetite for lumber.
于是他们从天亮干到天暗
So they worked from sunrise until suppertime,
砍伐云杉、雪松、落叶松
felling spruce, cedar, and tamarack,
花旗松 还有白松
Doug fir, and white pine,
一斧一斧彻底改写整座山的面容
utterly changing the face of the mountainside in the process.
即使一位优秀的伐木工 能连续九十九次准确判断树倒方向
And while a good sawyer might correctly judge 99 times how a fall would go,
可一次失手便足以索命
the hundredth time might take its toll.
喂!看树!
Tree! Hey!
救命啊!
Help! Help! - Look out!
当心! - 救人啊!
Help!
快来救人啊!
Get help! - Help!
来人啊!
Help!
好了
There.
这样好歹不算白来世上走一遭 什么痕迹都没留下
Now they won't just pass out of this world without nothing to show they was here.
见鬼
Well, hell.
我也想给大家歇一天缓缓 可工期不等人
I wish I could let us all lay off a day, but it's the company.
战争才不管咱们倒不倒霉 照样需要云杉木
The war don't stop needing spruce just on account of a bad day for us.
格兰尼尔越来越害怕 某种厄运正在尾随着他
Grainier worried more and more that something terrible was following him,
恐惧死神会在这荒野突然找上他
that death would find him out here,
而自己离唯一眷恋的地方 还隔着千山万水
far away from the only place he really wanted to be.
回来啦
Hey...
捡到什么宝贝了?
What do you got?
我捡了个松果
I got a pine cone.
捡了个松果呀?
You got a pine cone?
是松果呢
I got a pine cone.
我们去喂喂鸡好不好?
Should we go get the chicken?
快看 那儿有只小鸡
Oh, look, there's one.
是小鸡鸡
Chicken right there.
过来 小鸡
Come here, chicken.
小鸡进屋里去了
They're going inside. - They're going inside.
哎哟 进屋里去了
They're going inside!
小鸡!
Chicken!
小鸡!
Chicken! - Chicken!
小鸡鸡!
Chicken!
小鸡要睡你的床 还要偷吃你的饭咯
They're gonna sleep in your bed, and they're gonna eat your food.
每次回来她都像变了个人似的
She's like a different person every time I see her.
感觉错过了她整个人生
Feel like I'm missing her whole life.
我也有同感
I feel it too.
一切都过得太快了
It's all going by so fast.
想试试吗? - 不了
You want to shoot? - No.
我开枪鹿都懒得跑
Only the deer want me to shoot.
格莱蒂斯
Gladys.
别开枪
Don't shoot.
别开枪打我
Don't shoot me.
再出声我就真打了
Keep making noise, and I will. There he is.
好枪法
Good shot.
要不我们跟你一起去吧?
What if we came with you?
去伐木营地
Out to the cut.
去营地?
To the cut?
怎么...
What...
我能帮上忙
Well, I... I'd be helpful.
我可以给工友洗衣挣点钱
I... I could make some money washing clothes.
现在孩子带起来也不那么费劲了
Now she's not so much to keep up with.
我当然知道你能帮上忙
Well, I know you'd be helpful.
你不是说其他人也带上了妻子吗?
You told me some of the others have had their wives out there.
哪来的其他人 就那一个老头带过
No, not some of the others, just that one old man.
那对加州来的年轻夫妻呢?
What, and that young couple from California?
迪克·克♥林♥顿♥才待了一周人就没了
Dick Clinton disappeared after a week.
再说 他们连孩子都没有
And then, besides, they didn't even have a little one.
那地方...
It's, uh...
真的太危险了
It's really dangerous.
我就是想找个办法而已
I'm just trying to find a way, is all.
我知道
I know.
我知道
I know. I know. I know.
格兰尼尔试着找些离家近的活儿
Grainier tried to find work closer to home,
哪怕是杂工也照接不误
picking up odd jobs where he could.
可战争一结束 挣钱的好活计也就愈发难找
But the war was over, and good-paying work was hard to come by.
久等了 罗伯特 - 没事
Sorry to keep you waiting, Robert. - Yeah, that's okay.
好
All right.
给
There you go.
多谢 感激不尽
All right. Appreciate it.
该我谢你
Thank you. - Thank you.
需要帮忙随时找我
Uh, if you need anything, you know where to find me.
他们日子从未过得这么拮据
Money was tighter for them than it ever had been.
而此刻他浑然不知
And though he didn't know it then,
这将是他余生最怀念的时光
he would always look back on this time in his life as his happiest.
手里拿的什么呀?
What do you got there?
鸡蛋
Eggs.
鸡蛋?
Eggs.
倒真是有点像
Yeah, that is kind of an egg.
来 整理下
There you go.
好了
There you go.
累不累 凯特?想睡觉了吗?
Tired, Katie? You ready for bed?
想
Ye
转眼就这么大了
You're getting so big.
再过不久就换你抱爸爸喽
You're gonna be carrying me soon.
或许有更好的办法
Maybe there's a better way.
把我们家六亩地改造成农场
Maybe we turn our acre into a farm.
我就能多种一倍作物
I could grow double what I do now.
收成自然翻倍
And if we did that, and we saved up enough to start a little sawmill,
然后攒够钱再开个小锯木厂