两个含羞的信徒...
two blushing pilgrims...
愿意以温柔的一吻...
ready stand to smooth that rough touch...
乞求你宥恕"
with a tender kiss."
"好心的信徒,莫把你的手儿侮辱...
"Good pilgrim, you do wrong your hand too much...
这样才是最虔诚了礼敬
which mannerly devotion shows in this.
圣人的手本许信徒接触...
For saints have hands that pilgrims' hands do touch...
掌心的密合远胜如亲吻"
and palm to palm is holy Palmer's kiss."
"那么,圣人...
"O, then dear saint...
让唇来做手的工作吧
let lips do what hands do.
它们祈祷,应允...
They pray, grant thou...
以免信仰变成绝望"
lest faith turn to despair."
"圣人没有动...
"Saints do not move...
尽管他答应了"
though grant for prayer's sake."
"祈祷起作用了...
"Then move not...
圣人还是没有动
while my prayer's effect I take.
这样,通过我的唇...
Thus from my lips...
我的罪孽得以清洗"
by thine, my sin is purged."
那么亲吻我吧
Oh, yes. And then it says they kiss.
"可是你的罪沾染上了我的唇"
"Then have my lips the sin that they have took."
"来自唇的罪恶?
"Sin from thy lips?
啊,你抱怨得可真奇妙
O trespass sweetly urged.
把罪恶再给我"
Give me my sin again."
哦,梅里克先生
Oh, Mr. Merrick.
你不再是个象人
You're not an elephant man at all.
不是?
对
你是罗密欧
You're Romeo.
"肯德尔夫人,一直走在流潮的前面...
"Mrs. Kendal, always at the forefront of fashion and form...
不久前的一个下午,被人发现去了伦敦医院
was seen leaving the London the other afternoon.
亲爱的读者,我们的女演员
No, dear readers, the most facile actress of our day...
她不是生病了,据说她去拜访一个朋友
has not been taken ill, but rather said she was visiting a friend.
谁是这个幸运的人呢?
And who was the lucky recipient of this attention?
调查证实是"象人"约翰.梅里克先生...
Quick inquiries proved it to be none other than Mr. John Merrick...
对他,我们读者都很熟悉
the Elephant Man, with whom our readers are undoubtedly familiar.
在倾谈了45分钟后...
After a chat of three quarters of an hour...
肯德尔夫人够仁慈,她给梅里克先生...
Mrs. Kendal was kind enough to leave Mr. Merrick...
留下了一张亲笔签名的相片"
with an autographed portrait of herself."
我看到过
I saw it in his room.
"因为他极度的畸型...
"Owing to a disfigurement of the most extreme nature...
梅里克先生从没被介绍给伦敦社交界
Mr. Merrick has never been properly presented to London society.
但自肯德尔女士以后...
But knowing that wherever Mrs. Kendal goes...
很多人纷纷效仿,现在的问题是...
others inevitably follow, the question arises...
'伦敦愿不愿意把自己介绍给他'"
'Will London society present itself to him?'"
这根手杖真...真耀眼
This walking stick is so... is so dashing.
比我以前那根更精致
Much more elegant than my old one.
还要茶吗?
More tea?
我不能常出去...
You see, I don't go out as often as I would like...
因为...
because naturally...
人们发现我的长相很难接受
some people do find my appearance disturbing.
你们要是觉得冷,我可以关上窗
If you have a chill, I could close the window.
不,我很好
No, I'm fine. Please...
谢谢
I mean, thank you.
谢谢
Thank you.
要知道...
You see...
人往往...
people are frightened...
被他们不理解的东西所吓倒
by what they don't understand.
我自己也不能理解...
And it is hard to understand even for me...
因为,嗯,我母亲…
because, well, my mother...
是如此美丽
she was so very beautiful.
马舍德夫人,今天不要再让人看他
Mrs. Mothershead, I don't think he should have any more visitors today.
我还要去上课,晚上才回家
I have to lecture at the college, so I'll be back this evening.
等一下,先生,如果你有时间,
Excuse me, but if you have the time,
我要和你说点事
I would like a word with you.
我要迟到了,什么事?
I'm awfully late. What is it?
嗯,先生,我不...
Well, sir, I don't quite...
我不明白...
I don't quite understand...
你为什么让别人来看他?
why it is you allow that sort of people in there.
因为他喜欢,这对他有益
Why? Because he enjoys it, and I think it's very good for him.
但你看到他们脸上的表情
Yes, but sir, you saw the expression on their faces.
他们鄙视他
They didn't hide their disgust.
他们并不关心他
They don't care anything about John.
他们只想出出风头
They only want to impress their friends.
我想你也很无礼,不是吗?
I think you're being rather harsh on them, don't you?
再说一遍,先生
I beg your pardon, sir.
他刚来时,你对他几乎没有显示出...
You yourself hardly showed him much loving kindness...
如此的爱心洋溢,是不是?
when he first arrived, did you?
我为他洗澡,喂他吃,帮他搞卫生,对不对?
I bathed him, I fed him and I cleaned up after him, didn't I?
我的护士也这样
And I see that my nurses do the same.
如果"爱心洋溢"可以称为照顾...
And if"loving kindness" can be called care...
可以称为实际的担心...
and practical concern...
那我确实向他显示了爱心洋溢
then I did show him loving kindness
我并不为此感到惭愧
and I am not ashamed to admit it.
我不是这个意思,请相信我
I didn't mean it exactly that way. Now, please believe me.
当然,我理解你的担心
Now, of course I appreciate your concern.
我感激你为梅里克先生所做的一切
I appreciate everything that you've done for Mr. Merrick.
但我是个医生,必须做对他最有利的事
But I am the physician in charge and I must do what is best for him.
对不起,我要迟到了 -我的意思是...
Please, now, I'm also very late. -If you ask my opinion...
他只会又被鄙视
he's only being stared at all over again.
谢谢你
Thank you.
晚上
Night time.
弗雷迪
你怎么啦,弗雷迪?
What's the matter, Freddie?
我在想拜斯先生
I've been thinking about Mr. Bytes.
为什么想他?
What on earth made you think of him?
我觉得拜斯先生和我很像
Well, I'm beginning to believe that Mr. Bytes and I are very much alike.
这有些荒唐
That's absurd.
似乎,我又让梅里克先生...
It seems that I've made Mr. Merrick...
成为了一个展品,不是吗?
into a curiosity all over again, doesn't it?
只不过这次是在医院,不是在嘉年华会上
Only this time in a hospital rather than a carnival.
我的名字上了报...
My name is constantly in the papers...
我一直被人吹捧
I'm always being praised to the skies.
病人都直接来找我
Patients are now expressly asking for my services.
当然他们会这样做,因为你是个好医生
Of course they do, because you're a very fine doctor.
约翰.梅里克比以前...
John Merrick is happier and more fulfilled now...
什么时候都要快乐...
than he's ever been in his entire life...
这都是你的努力
and it's completely due to you.
这都是为了什么?我为什么要这样做?
What was it all for? Why did I do it?
弗雷迪,你想说什么?
Freddie, what are you trying to say?
我是个好人...
Am I a good man...
还是个坏人?
or am I a bad man?
稳住,特里夫斯,稳住,我亲爱的朋友
Steady on, Treves. Steady on, my dear fellow.
来,坐下,好吗?
Come sit down, won't you?
先生们,以前我们一般...
Gentlemen, I know we usually open these proceedings...
按备忘录开始会议
by reading the minutes.
但因为情况特殊
But on this occasion, in the interests of urgency...
我认为我们应该...
I think we should first conclude...
就约翰.梅里克先生的...
the matter previously under discussion...
"象人"一事先作出决定
the case of Mr. John Merrick, the Elephant Man.
等一下,主席先生,依我的观点...
One moment, Mr. Chairman. As far as I'm concerned...
这个人的事根本不值一提
this creature has no business being here at all.
我厌倦了...
l, for one, am sick and tired...
人们对畸型的好奇狂热...
of this competitive freak-hunting...
一些野心勃勃的年轻医生...
by these overly ambitious young doctors...
都想藉此成名
trying to make names for themselves.
把畸型人送去展览是一件事
To parade them about in front of the pathological society is one thing...
但就一个畸型人物讨论...
but to waste this committee's valuable time...
浪费董事会的宝贵时间是另一件事
with requests for shelter for these abominations of nature is another.
你要仔细
You must be more careful.
鉴于以上事实,很明显
In the light of these facts, our course is clear.
问题不是考虑收不收留他
The question is not whether to accept this creature as a patient.
而是腾出他的房♥间...
The question is, when will those rooms be vacated for use...
让别的病人入住