象人
禁止入内
原罪之恶果展
让开点
亲爱的,并不难,我们带这些孩子...
Darling, don't be difficult. Let's take our sweet...
去远足
lovely children on an outing.
你不能这样,我清楚我的权力
You can't do this. I know my rights.
我有权力关闭你的展出,我正要这样做
I have the authority to close you down, and I'm doing just that.
这样的展览贬低了观众和他自己
This exhibit degrades everybody who sees it and the creature himself.
他是个畸形!这是他的生存之道!
He is a freak! How else will he live?
畸形是一回事,这样做完全是另一回事
Freaks are one thing. This is entirely different.
这样丑恶的展览不能再进行
This is monstrous and should not be allowed.
警官将负责此事,尽快退出,日安!
These officers will see to it you're on your way soon. Good day!
请离开
Move along please.
止步,先生
Hold it there, sir.
这边走
Come this way.
又要跑路...
On the move again...
我的宝贝
my treasure.
我们看到很多这样的事故
We'll be seeing a lot more of these machine accidents...
霍奇斯先生 -是的,先生
Mr. Hodges. -Yes, sir.
机器真是可怕,你没法跟它理论
Abominable things, these machines. You can't reason with them.
伤得厉害!
What a mess!
拉紧绳子
Pull on the rope.
铬铁
Irons, please.
是谁?
Who is it?
打扰了,先生,是特里夫斯先生
Excuse me, Mr. Treves, sir.
什么事?
Yes, what is it?
我找到了 -很好,你看了没有?
I found it. -Good. Did you see it?
不错,我过一会见你,谢谢
All right. I'll see you in a moment. Thank you.
那是谁?
Who's that?
一个朋友 -哦
A friend of mine. -Oh, yes.
有什么事吗? -没什么
What are you up to? -Nothing.
告诉我,弗雷迪!
Come on, Freddie!
只是小事
Nothing of any importance.
格林大街在哪里?
Can you tell me where Cleeves Street is?
第二个路口,往左拐,然后往右,再一直走
'Round back, to the left, then to the right. Straight through.
谢谢
Thank you.
你是老板吗?
Are you the proprietor?
你又是谁?
And who might you be, sir?
一个好奇者,我想看一下象人
Just one of the curious. I'd like to see it.
恐怕不行,先生,我们...
I don't think so. No, sir, we're...
关闭了
closed.
我会付钱给你,很可观
Now, I'd pay handsomely for a private showing.
你是老板吗??
Are you the proprietor?
可观?谁让你来的?
Handsomely? Who sent you?
说什么? -不要介意
I beg your pardon? -Never mind.
我是老板
I'm the owner.
生活...
Life...
充满了惊喜
is full of surprises.
想一下这可怜的家伙...
Consider the fate...
想一下他母亲的命运...
of this creature's poor mother...
在她...
struck down...
怀着象人四个月时...
in the fourth month of her maternal condition...
受到野象的袭击
by an elephant, a wild elephant.
在非洲一个不知名的岛上...
Struck down...
受到象的蹂躏
on an uncharted African isle.
结果...
The result...
是显而易见的
is plain to see.
女士们,先生们...
Ladies and gentlemen...
可怕的...
the terrible...
象人!
Elephant Man!
起来 -起来
Stand up. -Stand up!
转过来
Turn around.
转过来!转过来!
Turn around! Turn around!
你明天10点带他来见我,先生...
you'll bring him to me tomorrow morning at 10:00, Mr... .
拜斯
Bytes.
他会来的
He'll be there.
好
Good.
这是我的名片,我会让车来接你们
Here's my card, and I'll send a cab.
好吗?
All right?
我们成交了
We have a deal.
我们互相了解
We understand each other.
而不只是金钱交易
More than money has changed hands.
我们很了解,朋友
We understand each other completely, my friend.
对,谢谢,拜斯先生
Yes, well, thank you, Mr. Bytes.
明天
Tomorrow.
真臭!
Cor! What a stink!
我来找弗雷德里克.特里夫斯先生...
I'm looking for Mr. Frederick Treves...
请,夫人
please, ma'am.
我让人去找他
Very well. I'll-I'll send for him.
护士... 特里夫斯先生,这...
Nurse... Oh, Mr. Treves, sir, this...
这... -是的,谢谢
This... -Yes. Thank you.
对,我在等他
Yes, I was expecting him.
你是车夫? -是的,先生
Yes, are you the cab driver? -Yes, sir.
还有谁和你一起吗? -没有,就这位先生
Anyone else with you? -No, sir. Just this gentleman.
谢谢你 -没什么,先生
Thank you for your troubles. -Not at all, sir.
愿为您效劳
My pleasure.
谢谢
Thank you.
请这边走
Will you come this way, please?
马舍德夫人,我上去后不想被人打扰
Mrs. Mothershead, I'll be in my room, and I'm not to be disturbed.
行吗? -可以,先生
All right? -Of course, sir.
请跟我来
Will you come with me, please?
你没听到医生的话吗?
You heard what the doctor said!
快去
Go on.
我是弗雷德里克.特里夫斯...
My name is Frederick Treves...
是伦敦医院的外科医生
and I'm a surgeon here at the London Hospital.
我在医学院教解剖
I lecture in anatomy at the medical college.
我想为你检查一下...
I'd like very much to examine you so that...
可以吗?
Would that be all right?
请坐
Please.
首先,我想问你几个问题
First I'd like to ask you a few questions.
可以吗?
Would that be all right?
你的主人告诉我...
Your owner tells me...
我的意思是 那个照看你的人告诉我...
I mean the man who looks after you tells me...
你是英国人,叫约翰.梅里克
that you're English and your name is John Merrick.
约翰.梅里克,对吗?
John Merrick. Is that right?
这样,我问你一个问题...
I tell you what. I think I'll ask you a question...
你可摇头作答
and you shake your head like this for "no."
你一直是这样吗?
Have you always been the way you are now?
你觉不觉得痛?
Are you in any pain?
你父母还在吗?
Are your parents still alive?
明白吗?
Do you understand me?
你父母还在吗?
Your father and your mother, are they dead?
弗雷迪,你在干什么?
Freddie, what are you doing for...
噢,对不起,我不知道你...
Oh, I'm dreadfully sorry. I had no idea you had...
弗雷迪,这是什么?
Freddie, what the hell have you got in there?
开会时你会知道的
You'll know soon enough, at the meeting of the Society.
在此之前,别告诉任何人
Until then, I beg of you not a word to anyone, please.
好吧,如果你坚持,但你一定有什么发现
All right, if you insist. But you must have quite a find in there.
我不知道 -他是你说的"小事"吗,嗯?
I don't know what I've got. -Nothing of any importance, eh?
请不要张扬,福克斯,别张扬
Not a word, please, Fox. Not a word.
好的
All right.
谢谢
Thank you.
没事了
It's all right.
现在我要为你检查
I think I'll examine you now.
问题以后再回答
I'll leave the questions till later.
好吗?
All right?
你可以脱下帽子吗?
Will you take your hat off now, please?
别害怕
Don't be frightened.
我只想看一下你
I simply want to look at you.
脱下帽子,别害怕
Take your hat off. Don't be frightened.
谢谢各位
Thank you.