You are no closer to predicting the movements of the weather
还想预报天气动向
than the movements of a frog in a jar.
如果我们能了解头顶的天空 先生们
If we could understand the skies above us, gentlemen...
先生们 我们...
Gentlemen, we...
-你疯了 朋友 -有了你们的财力支持
- You're delusional, my friend. - With your financial support,
我们眼看就能迎来非凡的改变了
we are on the precipice of extraordinary change.
推动天气预测的可能性可能会...
The possibility of advanced weather prediction could...
可能会拯救生命 先生们
it could save lives. Gentlemen.
先...先生们 请听我说
Gent... Gentlemen, please!
我们非听不可吗
We have to sit through this?
拜托
Please!
"詹姆斯·格雷舍尔本周在皇家学会
"James Glaisher spoke again
再次谈起他计划
this week at the Royal Society
要将天气变成一门科学"
of his plans to make a science of the weather."
《泰♥晤♥士♥报♥》上的 你看了吗
In-in The Times. You read it?
我看了 爸爸
Yes, I've read it, Pa.
"引来哄堂大笑"
"To the accompaniment of much laughter."
-亚瑟 求你别念了 -不过他们错了
- Oh, Arthur, please stop. - They're wrong, by the way.
认为你错了的人更多
Well, many more thought you were.
还有很多人不相信牛顿呢
Well, many didn't believe in Newton.
牛顿 詹姆斯
Newton? Oh, James.
牛顿改变了我们对地球
Newton changed the way we see the Earth
行星和恒星的看法
and the planets and the stars.
而你认为你能预测
You think you can predict...
何时会下雨
when it might rain.
人们议论你的那些话 詹姆斯
Th-These things that people are saying about you, James,
不刺耳吗
don't-don't... don't they hurt?
我希望你不觉得刺耳
I wish it didn't hurt you.
格雷舍尔父子钟表零售维修
时间 9分23秒
Time, nine minutes and 23 seconds.
海拔16♥4♥6米
Altitude is 5,400 feet.
气温18摄氏度
And air temperature is 6♥4♥ degrees Fahrenheit.
不错 你能不能帮我...
Delightful. Could you...?
-什么 -解上面就行
- What? - Just-just at the top.
好
Yeah.
你应该穿上你的防水服 格雷舍尔先生
You should put on your oilskins, Mr. Glaisher.
好了
All right.
出来吧
Out you come.
你在给鸽子系什么
What are you attaching to those pigeons?
我们的读数
Our readings.
懂了
I see.
你能考虑到我们遇难真让人宽心
Reassuring to know you've contemplated our deaths.
只是保险起见 万一我们回不去
I've just insured against them, should we not make it back.
云来了
Cloud ahoy.
还有什么降临众生的幸福
"What more felicitie can fall to creature
堪比无拘无束地...
Than to enjoy delight...
-享受愉悦 -享受愉悦
- with libertie... - With libertie,
堪比成为大自然的鬼斧神工之主
And to be lord of all the workes of Nature.
堪比将雨水从苍穹之顶
To raine in th' aire from earth...
洒向大地
...to the highest skie,
堪比以生性灿烂的花儿与野草为食
To feed on flowres and weeds of glorious feature.
堪比将赏心悦目的万物尽收眼底
To take what ever thing doth please the eie?"
斯宾塞
Spenser.
《蝴蝶的命运》
"The Fate of the Butterflie."
我最喜欢的诗之一
It's one of my favorite poems.
没想到啊
Surprising.
看不出你还是个文人
I didn't have you down as a literary man.
科学之人也可以热爱文字 雷恩小姐
Men of science, uh, can enjoy words, Miss Wren.
我丈夫喜欢那首诗
My husband loved that poem.
真希望曾有幸认识你丈夫
I would have liked to have met your husband.
我觉得他不会喜欢你
I'm not sure he'd have liked you.
是吗
Really?
他不喜欢纸上谈兵的人
He disliked people who studied rather than practiced.
我们仍然确定不会变天吗
Are we still sure this weather will hold?
因为直觉告诉我...
Because my instinct is telling me...
天气预测可不能靠直觉
Instinct has no place in weather prediction.
你说谎
You're lying to me.
我今早的每项读数
Every reading that I took this morning
都没问题 雷恩小姐
was quite clear, Miss Wren.
隐瞒顾虑无济于事
There are no advantages in concealing concerns.
无论你说什么我们都被困在这了
We are trapped here no matter what you say.
气压变化得比我预料的快
This pressure is changing faster than I'd anticipated.
我们要淋湿了
We're about to get wet.
开始了
And so it begins.
我觉得你的仪器现在对我们没用了
I'm not sure your instruments are much use to us now.
我们得做好准备
We need to batten down,
请你赶紧换上防水服
so please put on your wet weather clothing.
没人会奖励你的固执
There are no prizes for obstinacy.
詹姆斯
James.
就算你不听我的 也听听雷声吧
If you won't listen to me, listen to that.
但我的所有读数都说明没有风暴
But not one of my readings suggested a storm.
但事实如此 我们在积云里
Well, that's what it is, and we're inside a cumulo,
这可不是我们该来的地方
which is precisely where we shouldn't be.
别担心
Don't worry.
气球不是用导电材料制成的
She's not made of conductive material,
我们不会引来闪电
so we won't attract lightning.
但如果我们被闪电击中
And if we are struck,
气体就会爆♥炸♥ 我们就活不到
the gas will explode, so we won't live long enough
能让我指出...
for me to point out...
抓紧
Hold on!
快把设备收起来
Get that equipment put away now!
这些仪器能给我们...
These instruments will give us...
别动 保持冷静
Stay still and keep calm.
我得带我们离开风暴
I need to get us out of this.
不 不
No! No!
我们不能下降
We cannot descend!
这可能是我们唯一的机会
This might be our one and only opportunity.
-我们当然不下降 -什么
- Of course we don't descend. - We don't?
突破风暴有两种办法
There are two ways to break a storm.
一种是在它下方穿行 一种是在它上方
One is to travel beneath it, the other above it.
最安全的办法是上升
The safest way is up.
最安全的办法是上升
The safest way is up?
你以为跟你乘气球的是谁
Who did you think you got in a balloon with?
阿米莉亚
Amelia!
阿米莉亚 阿米莉亚
Amelia! Amelia!
把手给我
Give me your hand!
坚持住
Hold on!
坚持住
Hold on!
抓住我的手 抓住我的手
Take my hand! Take my hand!
一
One!
二
Two!
三
Three!
-你还好吗 -还好
- You all right? - Yes.
抓紧
Hold on!
还没结束
It's not over yet.
幸运逃生了
A lucky escape.
或者说机智逃生
Or a brilliant one.
我能用您的望远镜看看吗 先生
May I look through your spyglass, sir?
没什么可看的
There's nothing to see.
风暴经过时我跟丢他们了
I lost them when the storm passed over.
我还是想看看 先生
I would like a look all the same, sir.
我不会偷走的
I won't steal it.
我没觉得你会
I didn't presume you would.
你对天空感兴趣
You have an interest in the air?
您不希望跟他们一起上去吗
Don't you wish to be up there with them?
不 我是多余的负重
No, I'd be an unnecessary weight.
但还是想上去吧
All the same.
有的人摘星揽月
Some reach for the stars.
有的人助他人一臂之力
Some push others towards them.
真希望我能上去
I wish I was up there.
你不怕云吗
You're not afraid of the clouds?